• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Dfj68lpX4AA7rGG.jpg:small

The United States might not be participating in the World Cup, but it pulled off a historic victory in Russia all the same: The globe's biggest sporting event is returning to the U.S.

In a long-anticipated vote on Wednesday, the joint bid of the U.S., Mexico and Canada defeated Morocco, its only challenger, as 200 national soccer federations cast their ballots to cap FIFA's annual Congress.

The three-nation bid captured 134 votes, with Morocco earning 65 from the panel and only Iran choosing neither option. Cuba, Slovenia and Spain (whose delegation was in Krasnodar, Russia, handling its coaching situation) abstained.
The 2026 tournament will feature an expanded field of 48 teams -- the current field has 32 -- and will mark the first time in FIFA's history that a three-nation bid has been awarded the showpiece event.

The joint bid's plans call for 60 of the 80 games to be played in the United States -- including all matches from the quarterfinals onward -- while Canada and Mexico host 10 apiece. The final is expected to be played at MetLife Stadium, just outside New York.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...exico-canada-joint-bid-wins-fifa-hosting-vote

DfkZu6bWkAIyS9H.jpg

Dfks0blX4AAoTsS.jpg

Last edited:

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a soccer fan but would love the Dallas area to get in on this, we already have plenty of pro and college stadiums to handle the demand.

Would be cool to go be a part of some WC action.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
Well, the Concacaf eliminatory season 2024-2025 it's going to be EASY. congrats to Mexico. Deserver it and to Canada's futball team as wel. I wonder when is going to be the time for Colombia. Hope 2030.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Well Trump can see which countries voted against and hold a lifetime gruge against them... and probably tweet shit about them being sore losers or whatever...

China PR are totally gonna get some shit from him.... And North Korea too lol.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Well Trump can see which countries voted against and hold a lifetime gruge against them... and probably tweet shit about them being sore losers or whatever...

China PR are totally gonna get some shit from him.... And North Korea too lol.

Fuck him he'll be long gone by then too good riddance in advance.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Great if you have a rich country passport that allows you to travel without the need for a passport. Shit if, like me, you'll need three different Visas to move between the three countries.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The joint bid's plans call for 60 of the 80 games to be played in the United States -- including all matches from the quarterfinals onward -- while Canada and Mexico host 10 apiece. The final is expected to be played at MetLife Stadium, just outside New York.
I understand why Canada only has 10 matches, but Mexico should host more of them.

Ninman

Oct 27, 2017
Doesnt make sense to me, its like having the WC all across europe. Why did you agree to this México? :/

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand why Canada only has 10 matches, but Mexico should host more of them.
I agree, but it's about sponsors and ad revenue not about the actual games and atmosphere.

You will get way more hardcore fans in Mexico, but US stadiums have an abundance of private/corporate box seats, CEO/VIPs to wine and dine and deals to be made.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville is currently building a new soccer stadium for this kinda stuff...

RIP our already RIP'd traffic

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Hope to see what matchups come to Boston / Foxborough and where they play them. I'm assuming Harvard's stadium is too small and that it'll be at Gilette in Foxborough, which already hosts pro soccer.

Putting my house up on AirBnb YESTERDAY and going on vacation for the week.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Awesome news. I was critical of this bid, because I'm not a fan of three country bids for stuff like this, but I must admit to feeling some pride when I saw the news this morning.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

Oh snap. What a dumb decision lol

tell me about it. as a huge soccer fan in vancouver (see: avatar) who's been waiting to see the world cup in my city for basically my entire life, the fact that we're so fucking equipped to host it (our stadium is newly renovated, world class) and yet won't REALLY STINGS.

I am sure that is the reason. You don't choose Edmonton over Vancouver if that doesn't factor into it. The women complained and were upset about it too for the women's world cup.

it is a factor, but certainly not the biggest. that was just the NDP's concern about FIFA

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
I can see it already. Mexico gets 2 host cities, Canada 1, and the US 13.

I think it's a terrible idea for 3 absolutely gigantic (size) countries to host the WC, but hey, at least it's the first (only?) WC that'll be hosted in my home country (Canada) and I should be able to see some games!

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
tell me about it. as a huge soccer fan in vancouver (see: avatar) who's been waiting to see the world cup in my city for basically my entire life, the fact that we're so fucking equipped to host it (our stadium is newly renovated, world class) and yet won't REALLY STINGS.

BC Place isn't world class.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
So all of Mexico's games are gonna be in Mexico? Hopefully Los Angeles gets a bunch of the games.