RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Man some characters are absolutely hilarious if you can spec them right. The Ghost might be my new favorite with a combination of their abilities + others like status gives higher crit damage, any damage restores health, etc.

At first I was overwhelmed by the amount of choices, but I've gotten over that as I've figured out which playstyles I enjoy and which lowers suit those.

I'll agree with others in that the length is probably a bit of a detriment. I took some time today to level up other characters but will soon finish the 3rd legendary dungeon of 5, I'm at level 33. That it feels/seems like the halfway point is a bit much, but honestly it's been a while since I've had a game where I can sit down and hours will fly by like it's nothing. Probably a sign that I'm enjoying, so I'm definitely going to keep going.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's been the perfect game on my week off to sink my teeth in to and you just lose hours. Not many games keep my attention like this these days.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Game is very addicting. I've done all the bodybuilder stuff I can but can't get to Rank A. Do I just have to progress further in the main quest?

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Yesterday i played it two hours with a friend.
It was clearly really fun, it's the kind of game i will not play alone but with a friend , it's fun !

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Just beat it. About 21.5 hours in two days, lol. I haven't binged a game like this in a looong time, over a decade easily. But I found out a need an unexpected medical procedure done tomorrow and I can't really get around right now. Always cool when stuff works out like this, new Drinkbox comes out right when I need something to take my mind off things for a weekend.

Overall I loved it. I do wish the forms were differentiated a bit more. I think it would have been cool if the last ability each form learned was also unique instead of just their standard attack. Or maybe they could have gotten a new ability or passive at S rank.

But the forms are great, even though I think that would be a cool addition that do feel unique. I love the quirkier differences, like the horse attack backwards with its kick.

Mixing and matching abilities is super fun, and unlocking new forms is addictive. I love the tone two, sometimes games that try to be irreverent and goofy can be grating, but I really liked all of the characters.

Unsure whether I'll keep playing, I'm a little tempted to try to get all the achievements, but getting all the forms to S kind of seems like a slog.

I hesitate to even bring this up because I love the dev and don't want people to lash out at them, especially when I have no idea of the circumstances behind this, but I was surprised to see Colin Moriarty thanked in the credits. I wonder how he contributed, I'm guess just by giving feedback on an early build or something.

Game is very addicting. I've done all the bodybuilder stuff I can but can't get to Rank A. Do I just have to progress further in the main quest?

Yeah, you unlock new quests after you
collect three pieces of the gem.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Man this game has its hooks in me, I'm mid to late game and I'm just enthralled with the gameplay loop. One of my favorite things about it is almost every character I've found enjoyment playing with. And although the game has its grind it never feels like a chore cause you're constantly being rewarded with level ups and unlocks.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Man, i wish i could enjoy the game as much as you guys, after a while it really felt repetitive and some dungeons really annoying, not even the max damage one, stuff like the Whale dungeon and those rockets for every damage you deal, also some small stuff like the big dungeons not giving Form EXP just because, i really wish they could have thought of something else, like, i recall being really annoyed at a "break wards with this kind of damage" quest for one of the forms, and wouldn't you know it, the only decent place for that kind of ward ended up being a Calamity dungeon.

Like, is it to stop people from grinding because those would be great grinding spots?

If so...why, just so people move to other places and grind some more to pretend there is more gameplay time, maybe if i found the game more fun this wouldn't bother me so much, but dear Lord i wanted to criticize whoever thought having dungeons with ZERO FORM EXP was ever a good idea, particularly because of the damn ward quests.

Oct 25, 2017
i played until i unlocked the ability to hit A rank with different forms, but i think i'm done with this game. in the end, it's just another Number-Upper, despite the form system occasionally being pretty cool. i can deal with that if i really like the art, or the story, or some other aspect, but everything about the game is "just ok" for me. it's frictionless and moreish, but totally free of nutritional content.

i didn't mind some of the challenge dungeons like the 9999x damage one, but i don't trust that there's going to be enough novel content left in the game to compel me to do another filler-laden "collect two gem" loop around the map.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
I have been loving this, played about 14 hours and only just about to challenge the third legendary dungeon. I've done basically everything I can in the first half of the game tho, all forms at B, all quests that I can possibly do in the lower half of the map are done. I'm level 37.

Think I'll calm it down from here tho, only level up the forms I really like/need to and not do every quest. Game is just a blast to play.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Played maybe an hour (cleared the two beginner dungeons and stuff) and so far im enjoying it!

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I was in the fence until you start unlocking customizable skills. Now I'm hooked.

I really enjoy just leveling up and unlocked new forms.

thankyoumerzbow

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2020
how do you do the 20 tears on an enemy quest if the legendary dungeons block form quests and those are the biggest bosses?

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I can't get the boss music out of my head. Game is decent so far, but it's not on the same level as Guacamelee for me.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I absolutely cannot stop playing this game. I'm probably about 15 hours in at this point and there's just something about it that makes it incredibly addictive. It's more addictive than it is good, though, which is weird? It's a solid 8/10 for me, but the progression just keeps pulling me forward even if I'm not in love with the art style or the narrative bits.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This has been great about 10 hours in but I do see how repetitive it can be. Still exploring the map so I'm finding all sorts of neat things. It's so easy to find a dungeon and grind out whatever quests you need to level your characters though. I find myself grinding everything and then blowing through the over world as fast as possible skipping enemies to get from point a to point b.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Got S-rank on all forms and got to the max. Level today. Now I just gotta beat it. Will try to do NG+ as well to get that 1000/1000.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are more forms then there is space on the quickswap wheel. Does it just go by most recent used or?

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
the final form is underwhelming.

i got one more shard to go and then i'm gonna wrap this puppy up. really fun game. can't imagine i'd ever replay it though

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
There are more forms then there is space on the quickswap wheel. Does it just go by most recent used or?
Pretty much. No option to customise sadly.

I liked the final form. Especially the fire breathing and ability to fly. Slow though. I think the robot may have been one of my faves but just a little slow moving again unfortunately.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
played 4 hours and liked it but going to walk away, i see the loops and like some of the meta but the core combat itself isnt satsyfing and teh dungeon challenge stuff is kinda eh. might try to beat one more boss but thats probably it
solving the rat punch puzzle was good tho

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
trying to do some mop up before the last dungeon... apparently I'm missing one fairy.

checked this guide, cross referenced it with my map in game, and I'm not seeing any I missed. I figured it was one of the ones inside the houses, but I checked em and found nothing. plz help

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know how I can get into the Dark Tower? It says "form locked" which I took to meaning I needed the final form in the chain but that doesn't seem to do it.

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
trying to do some mop up before the last dungeon... apparently I'm missing one fairy.

checked this guide, cross referenced it with my map in game, and I'm not seeing any I missed. I figured it was one of the ones inside the houses, but I checked em and found nothing. plz help

I had the same issue. It was number 16 on that list. It doesn't show on the map because it's in a mini dungeon with it's own map.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much. No option to customise sadly.

I liked the final form. Especially the fire breathing and ability to fly. Slow though. I think the robot may have been one of my faves but just a little slow moving again unfortunately.

You can buy a passive from the vendor that makes your characters move faster (you can level it up to 130 speed). It sucks to lose a passive slot to equip it but it's worth it imo.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finished NG+ and with that unlocked all achievements
What a bloody brilliant game. Loved every second of it. Haven't been that addicted to a game since Hades.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
You can buy a passive from the vendor that makes your characters move faster (you can level it up to 130 speed). It sucks to lose a passive slot to equip it but it's worth it imo.
Yeah I never used it as I preferred other passives and it's easy to swap to the rat for example when I just wanna zoom somewhere faster.

Snert

Banned
Dec 1, 2020
Pleasantly surprised by this one! The Key art turned me off, but glad I gave it a shot. The art style and gameplay is just so damn charming. This would have been a perfect game for the Switch OLED. Hope they port it in the future, I'd gladly double dip.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered, but I'm currently locked to B on most of my forms. I can't go higher than that. It says I'm out of quests for that form.

Do I need to each a certain point in the game for the higher levels to be unlocked?

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I like this game a lot and can't stop playing, but around 50-70% in now with like 2/3rds of the maps done, everything left is just annoying and frustrating shit (either certain dungeons/bosses or sidequests) and it's not fun anymore. Very quickly losing my patience with the game. Feel like I need to find a guide on how to beat certain spots that seem ridiculously difficult.

I don't understand the point of leveling up past 30 when the dungeons are level-synced with you. I don't feel like I'm getting stronger...I actually feel it's the opposite where the further in I get the weaker I feel because the enemies are getting stronger and I'm basically locked in at my current stats.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, I finished unlocking all the jobs outside the dragon and I don't think I've ever played a game where I went from playing like 8 hours straight the first night because it was so great and couldn't put down, to I've just lost all motivation to even play anymore on the 2nd day.

My main complaint is it just got too hard (git gud and all). The game was fun in the first half when you kept getting new abilities and used them to steamroll everything, but in the back half I die every 2-3 minutes and it's just tires me out. Strong mobs do so much damage I just can't keep my HP so I'm basically just running past every area trying to avoid all fights. Even in dungeons if there isn't an enemy count locked gate I'm just running and ghosting past all enemies.

If I took it slow and careful taking out one mob at a time it'd be fine, but I don't want to slow down after being able to run quick and powerful through the first half. The enemies got way too strong and some of the dungeon modifiers are really annoying. It just feels more like work now than fun.

Maybe the game needed difficulty levels. I never had an issue with Guacamelee/Severed's difficulty outside stuff like Treetops in Guacamelee, but then again I'm better at platforming and side scrolling combat than diablo style combat. I feel like there aren't great HP regen options to the degree that damage comes in late game.

Are there any game breakingly god-tier builds to steamroll even the late game stuff?

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know at what point the game gets super hard... but I'm level 26 and just did the 3rd story dungeon for a gem (it was level 31). Beating it was super challenging because I was so underleveled, but I appreciated the challenge.

I'm mostly using the snail. There are still lots of forms I can't unlock yet though.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Playes a bit of it. Fairly charming, but looking up the length and comments above about it getting hard later are enough for me to drop it as I was already getting a little frustrated just being level 7 and wandering around after the castle dungeon and a bit past being able to mix and match abilities/passives. Just don't think it's my cup of tea/something I want to play over the other stuff on my plate right now.

EDIT: Actually, I'll give this a bit more time. Not really seeing anything new I want to dive into that isn't too long to easily finish before Horizon FW gets all my planytime for a bit. Not feeling putting a ton of hours into Halo MP or Forza Horizon 5 right now, so I'll mess around with this when not in the mood for the stuff I've got going on Switch and not playing coop stuff with a friend.

It's frustrating dying late in a dungeon, but at least you keep money, XP progress etc. I suppose and the game gets more interesting as you unlock more things and mess around with builds.

Last edited:

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So I'm actually doing alright in the endgame now after getting the dragon. With robot/dragon if I just play slow & tanky they're pretty damn sturdy which helps with the damage coming in. Like dragon w/steel plate I feel like my HP never drops which is kinda crazy.

Outside hidden stuff, is there no reason to take jobs past B rank? There's no more abilities to learn and it's not like they get increased stats each rank (which they really should as an incentive to rank them up). I have most of the ones from the first half of the game at A but all the late game jobs I just got to B to get their 3rd skill and then I've just been sticking to dragon/robot.

Also monk's lightning rain + tank characters like robot/dragon seems pretty dominating.

I hate how many skills are "use rats scavenge to regain MP" which only occurs when you pick up HP bars while. The Rogues is especially annoying since you're supposed to pick up the HP bars while cloaked. Scavenge doesn't seem like that great of a skill, I'd rather have MP regen on damage. So kinda annoying all these skills are tied to it.

Just cleaning up the last few optional dungeons and then gonna go do the final story dungeons.

I still think on NG, the dungeons shouldn't have level scaling (NG+ is fine). It also makes the sidequests completely pointless outside achievements because all they give is XP and all XP does is level you up...but the enemies/dungeons scale to that level so....no point? It'd be one thing if sidequests gave skills and items and idk something besides XP, maybe money? I just dislike level scaling in games in general most of the time. If there was no scaling you can figure out an efficient order to take on dungeons based on their levels.

Still like the game, but it has more annoyances than Drinkbox's other games imo.

Last edited:

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Ok, beat it. Nm, game was still really fucking hard for me. The secret corporation dungeon took me hours to get through. The other gem part dungeon was easy in comparison but the boss was tough until I found the poison slime + explosions + the monk's holy rain could work. Final boss was pretty annoying, just too much spam.

I feel like for a game with so many possible builds like a good Diablo-like, because of the stupid wards and a lot of the dungeon designs there's really only a couple very specific builds that works. Feels more like a puzzle game of dying over and over trial & error trying to find a build that works for a dungeon or a boss. Found that kind of tedious.

Like I couldn't do the 1 hit kill dungeon even with 6 hits from the egg skill and some good skills. All because they force you in a locked spike wall encounter with warded leeches that hit you from across the room and kill you. Stuff like that is just real bs. The leech enemies were pretty awful in general.

Will probably try to wrap up the rest of the side stuff I didn't clear. But yeah kinda mixed on this one. Great ideas, but imo the design was too frustrating and linear. They took the ward system from Guacamelee and it worked there because you always had all the options, here it's frustrating.

I think there should have been a button that swaps between two builds on the fly so you could build out 2 jobs for a dungeon and flip back and forth instantly to deal with the ward stuff.