Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
How tf do you get out of the jail cell in the beginning? I'm such an idiot
Use the mouse ability and go through the mouse hole

I'm still pretty iffy on this game. I played for a couple hours last night, and I'm really not feeling the combat at all. It's one of those games where you feel like you need to just minmax certain characters, but it also feels like the game wants you to swap around between all, or at least a good set of 4 or 5, of them, and as such it feels like none of them are progressing very quickly. I'll put a couple more hours in, but if something doesn't hook me after that, I can't see carrying on with it. There are some very creative ideas in the game, but moment to moment it's a little repetitive and not really all that fun to play.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Was mildly interested in this bit seeing some great reactions on Twitter so think I'll check it out a lot sooner now. Love the art

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm about 3 hours in. I couldn't put it down last night. I have no friends to play online with, but the single player is very fun. I'll be playing much more the next few nights.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
About 4 hours in, definitely enjoying it more, the later forms are much more interesting, though the Rat and Ranger are still strong.

Soldier is boring as heck so I never use him

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my current extremely incomplete tier list, since I've only unlocked some of the classes and then only some of the abilities within them

top: Mermaid
good: Horse, Magician, Slug
okay: Ranger, Knight, Rat
blah: Egg, Nobody

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
My first session was overwhelmingly positive. This might be an idiosyncratic take (or an idiotic one) but I'm getting Zelda meets Hades meets Wonder Boy vibes and I'm down for that.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
IDK if it's Drinkbox's implementation of 'shield-break' mechanics specifically (I didn't particularly care for them in Guacamelee 1/2), or just shield-breaking as a general concept, but while the game is pretty forgiving overall (and that I can already start seeing pretty OP combo situations), the requirement of switching forms/abilities to shield break (especially when form switching using the hotbar doesn't pause/slow down time, though IIRC you can just do it from the menu) annoys the bajeezus out of me.

I do like that dungeons clearly show you which element(s) is/are needed ahead of time, and it's less of an explicit issue later on once you can start swapping abilities over and using certain passives if need be, but it's just...not fun for me, lol.

I'm on the 3rd gem piece, and while it's fun, I can definitely see the potential issue for repetitiveness, even with the varied quest bars filling up fairly consistently.

Here's my current extremely incomplete tier list, since I've only unlocked some of the classes and then only some of the abilities within them

top: Mermaid
good: Horse, Magician, Slug
okay: Ranger, Knight, Rat
blah: Egg, Nobody

It's funny, because IMO mermaid starts cool, then falls off hard later on - the passive is pretty useless, as you generally either don't want to get hit, or pump out major damage via combining status conditions and the slug passive, and the mermaid's locked skill isn't a full-on rapid hit like the slug unless you actively mash, so generating mana is a bit of an issue to spam skills from other classes, even with her large MP pool.

Ranger needs a bit of a speed boost on her basic arrow firing rate IMO, but I suppose that would risk making the rapid fire ability useless.

Zombie so far is probably my favorite overall, with magician and ghost for certain situations being decent/good. Most of the other classes have bigger drawbacks like having hard(er) to generate mana with their class abilities, or lacking synergistic movement skill options, even with the 'base move can't go below 100' aspect, imo.

Aside from the base class (which...why would one ever use that aside from a hard mode run, lol), I think turtle is the worst - only used it once to unlock the light-damage AOE spell, then haven't even wanted to go back.

Egg is also clearly bad, but is IMO fairly obvious as a dragon quest style 'jester --> sage' requirement for the last class, so it's more forgivable - plus it has a good passive for several quests, and at least one dungeon.

Haven't unlocked the 'A rank' locked classes yet (Monk/robot/rogue) yet, though, or the last one.

Mar 19, 2021
I've been having tons of fun with this, just before the 3rd gem piece now (did left side of the map first). Zombie is probably my favourite, but also love Slug, Horse and Magician. Mermaid fell off hard

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to hear about Mermaid. I just took out the level 15 poison dungeon on level 14, and the only way I was able to survive was Mermaid's crowd control with her charge up move and then using the shield when I get cornered. Everyone else was too slow or the damage was too close quarters for my skill level.

Agreed completely on the Egg. I just unlocked Zombie and Turtle but haven't used them yet. I find it so hard to dive into a new character when I'm halfway through the progression on other ones!

edit: I'm also kinda expecting Nobody to have a similar Jester->Sage type of progression where eventually it becomes beastly but you need to upgrade it through all the story events.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Gave it a shot, but it's not for me. Terrible procedural dungeons kill any interest I had in this and I don't like the switching characters gimmick one bit.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
So far for me the greatest classes are Slug, Ranger , Magician, Rat, bodybuilder and Ghost.

Bodybuilder, Ghost, Rat and Slug are AOE powerhouses. Ranger is a single target annihilator with arrow flurry, great for bosses and elite monsters . Magician is jack of all trades.

Horse is meh, only useful it to get around places fast, too clumsy to use in combat.
Mermaid as well kinda falls off hard, but shines in the water
Guard is basically a much worse bodybuilder.
Turtle is too weak on land and not as good as mermaid in the water.
Egg is a meme.

I'm annoyed we cant manually place the classes we want on the switch wheel, and yeah I can definitely see the repitiveness claims, though I still find the loop pretty fun, think fighting hordes and seeing them all blow up really helps give you dopamine bursts

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021
LOVING this game but PSA - If you complete one of those looping challenges, redeem it IMMEDIATELY. Completed one and decided to finish the dungeon before redeeming it then realised it doesn't go to the next tier until you redeem it

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm still pretty early (thanks to Halo Infinite's Attrition stealing my gaming time...), but I'm really enjoying this so far. Game Pass is off to a great start this year.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I'm playing this game I can tell it has obvious problems. The combat is repetitive, the dungeon and boss designs are a bit bland, but I'm still having a lot of fun with it and I can't wait to get back on it tonight after work.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Buy those XP quests as soon as. They are cheap enough but give you constant easy XP that you can just forget about as you play.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Zelda X Binding of Isaac vibes.
Loving it so far but I don't think I have a favorite form, yet. Some are pretty neat but not fun enough for me to consider them my main. That's okay to some extent since it encourages me to level all forms but at the same time it gets a little tiresome because it completely dictates the way I play the game. When I play a certain form I don't just play it any way I want. I play it specifically to finish active quests and I think that kind of defeats the purpose of the system.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Very near the end, just cleaning up side content now, I only have one side dungeon left and I can't for the life of me figure out a combinaation that works.

The Big Gnarly, anyone done it and has any tips? everything does 9999 dmg (so basically everything dies in 1 hit including you, well, before the passives)

Even with the egg passive to only take 1/4 of your life max each hit, and the robot passive to take less dmg, you still die super fast, especially when those snakes with the range tether get you :/

edit: nvm did it, if anyone needs tips for it hit me up :D

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Very near the end, just cleaning up side content now, I only have one side dungeon left and I can't for the life of me figure out a combinaation that works.

The Big Gnarly, anyone done it and has any tips? everything does 9999 dmg (so basically everything dies in 1 hit including you, well, before the passives)

Even with the egg passive to only take 1/4 of your life max each hit, and the robot passive to take less dmg, you still die super fast, especially when those snakes with the range tether get you :/

I think it will be a while until I reach that point!

Out of curiosity, what's your current playtime?

Dlanor A. Knox

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Apr 6, 2018
Are the maps procedurally generated ? I tend to dislike procedurally generated dungeons and stuff, they usually feel bland.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Are the maps procedurally generated ? I tend to dislike procedurally generated dungeons and stuff, they usually feel bland.

Only in dungeons, the overworld is consistent.

And I'm done. 17:34. Really enjoyed it, though I think the game kind of falls apart in the back half. There isn't enough content to really get all the characters to where they should be without grinding and the pacing kind of falls flat at the big midway point. But I did really enjoy myself, as I said earlier, it's a great pallet cleanser. This game seems like it would be killer via couch coop, though I doubt I'll ever play it again.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to customize what's showing on the wheel? It feels like a random assortment of stuff now that I have so many forms but I'm not sure what's shifting placements around.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a way to customize what's showing on the wheel? It feels like a random assortment of stuff now that I have so many forms but I'm not sure what's shifting placements around.

I didnt find a way and its annoying. Anyway, all done

YBLfiQy.png

Really liked it, but like I've already said, it can be very repetitive. Had a blast tho, Drinkbox stays winning.

Last edited:

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question: do you lose money or quest progress upon death? Or are you just taken back to the previous save point so you can grind out tougher parts if needed?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Quick question: do you lose money or quest progress upon death? Or are you just taken back to the previous save point so you can grind out tougher parts if needed?

the later, you don't lose anything except dungeon progress if you didn't raech a checkpoint (since they are procedural you need to restart them if you die, which can get annoying in the harder ones. if you reach the checkpoint before a boss you can die and go straight for the boss tho)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I got the second fragment using horse, it was almost the only viable way to me.

Mermaid is great, and Rat is fantastic with his second skill? pff, piece of cake. Knight with Horse run ability is cool as well, used it in the Candy dungeon.

Snail is usefull too but a bit clumsy.

Edit: I still find super disappointing that they made a game with loot being only money and food.

Patison

Oct 27, 2017
the later, you don't lose anything except dungeon progress if you didn't raech a checkpoint (since they are procedural you need to restart them if you die, which can get annoying in the harder ones. if you reach the checkpoint before a boss you can die and go straight for the boss tho)

Sounds good, thanks! Haven't made much progress yet but the game reminds me of Deathspank - simple and fun in short bursts.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019

Oh lol forgot about the eggs passive but all good I did it with ghost. The ethereal move prevents the snakes from long distant leeching you

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
is there a hotkey for switching between characters quickly? maybe I have to unlock it? going to the menu each time is a bit inconvenient
(PC)

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wish the big dungeons didn't block form progress. It makes dying feel worse since you get less out of it than usual.

StewboaT

Mar 6, 2018
Pretty annoyed that you have to play these characters in a specific way to unlock the higher ranks. Especially when it forces you to use a specific skill from another character to complete the quests. Seems to undercut the fun of choosing your own setup.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Had a great time playing this tonight using the bodybuilder, he's an over powered beast. Then I unlocked the ghost who looks like he's going to be a lot of fun so that can be tomorrow night's adventure.

I do appreciate the way the game pretty much forces you to switch between all the characters in order to get more xp, it makes the game more interesting and varied, although trying to choose what to spend the upgrade coins on can be overwhelming.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was getting back into it last night, but I'm stuck now. Can anyone help?

I finished the Castle and got that first gem shard. Then I went and got the next 4 missions from the people in the Rusted Wheel or whatever it's called. And then I thought some gates to the East and West were supposed to be open, but none of them are. How do I progress from here?

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I was getting back into it last night, but I'm stuck now. Can anyone help?

I finished the Castle and got that first gem shard. Then I went and got the next 4 missions from the people in the Rusted Wheel or whatever it's called. And then I thought some gates to the East and West were supposed to be open, but none of them are. How do I progress from here?
The guard at the western end of the map with the castle in the center should let you through

transience

Oct 27, 2017
I think you have to cash in the quest at the knight center or whatever it is. You couldn't enter it when you went there the first time but now it's open and offers quests.

phatmac

Dec 18, 2017
Seems like a huge oversight to not allow you to customize the form wheel to get stuff like the nobody or egg out since they don't have combat quests. Hope they patch that in soon and to slow down time when picking new forms.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Put some good time into this today, having a blast so far. It's a very charming game.

Mixing up the attacks and abilities is a lot of fun but as someone said, bit of a shame they force you to play a certain way by making the quests so specific.

Can anyone tell me the level cap?

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Put some good time into this today, having a blast so far. It's a very charming game.

Mixing up the attacks and abilities is a lot of fun but as someone said, bit of a shame they force you to play a certain way by making the quests so specific.

Can anyone tell me the level cap?

the Completionist put out a video today on this game and he said it was 75 for max level

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far but I seem to be stuck in one of the tutorials?

The tutorial when you learn about ability customization... I have a pop-up now telling me to customize my form so it has Sharp and Dark abilities. I tried changing into the Guard (who has Bravado (Sharp)) and added the Poison Tipped (Dark) ability but the tutorial is not progressing... What am I missing?

MrMattamus

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game so far but I seem to be stuck in one of the tutorials?

The tutorial when you learn about ability customization... I have a pop-up now telling me to customize my form so it has Sharp and Dark abilities. I tried changing into the Guard (who has Bravado (Sharp)) and added the Poison Tipped (Dark) ability but the tutorial is not progressing... What am I missing?
Add an action ability to one of the face buttons, not a passive.

I had this same issue and I added Consume to the Guard to continue forward.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
This game is hilarious, I really like it. Drink Box never disappoints.