• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the topic is a liiittle misleading compared to what he actually said in the video. He said someone could create a Rocket League type system with logic I guess. It's not something that's already in there.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They use the Minecraft model. The game sold gangbusters at launch, that funded them for years probably, and with every new update they get a TON of new, raw sales.

I'm sure they're working on another game at this point, too. Even if only at prototype stage.

I find it rather fascinating, game deveopment. On one hand you could invest hundreds of millions of dollars coming out with a huge and epic game or you could release a game with a ton of potential and build from there. This is why I like this approach because instead of getting a sequel 3 years later they can continually evolve this one. Of course the major downside if many will walk away early on and give it negative reviews saying there isn't much there.

dreamstation

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
On the topic of sales I traded in my disc version at EB Games today and I still got $12.65 for it which is crazy for a 3 year old game. Some newer games that you would consider blockbusters don't even fetch that much so EB must be on selling a lot of pre owned copies as well for them to still be offering so much. I bought the digital copy this afternoon with my 25% off coupon to replace it.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
They turned over almost £100m revenue in the 27 months to Nov 2018. They have a massive profit margin. I think they have like £50m+ cash on hand. NMS is basically printing money for them.

I bet when this update hits they'll go back to the top of the Steam sales charts again. At this rate, they can easily justify putting out updates for free and eventually putting NMS on some kind of long term support when whatever their next project is comes out. Maybe in a few years they could put some cosmetic MTX in to break even on whatever running costs they have, but right now they are doing gangbusters.
If that's the thing, then I'm happy for them. Wasn't keeping up with sales/charts. Going up in Steam chart for big update sounds pretty good.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll gonna make me post it again, aren't you?
giphy.gif

Shadout

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
One day, in the future, I will buy and play this game (or more likely, get it through some subscription thing) and it will be glorious.

Always great to see a successful turn-around story. Even if it is build on the money earned on "lies", selling dreams and hopes about the original product. At least they kept improving rather than taking the money and disappearing.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel like the topic is a liiittle misleading compared to what he actually said in the video. He said someone could create a Rocket League type system with logic I guess. It's not something that's already in there.

I think the specific quote comes from one of the media outlets, who supposedly saw such a system in action. I suspect "Fully functional" might be a bit grandiose, I'm imagining something akin to a ball spawner, goals and a simple scoring system.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
every time a major update comes out i get excited then go play it but can never get into it.

good on them for sticking with it though. what a turnaround it has been.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree with you. I bought it at launch full price and even loved it back then , to see where it has landed now is just amazing .

It's basically the most ambitious game I have ever played , it's definitely not the most polished of course but that's to be expected with a small team.

I will be jumping back in again as I do with every update they do , and with the nexus and possibility of finding unique gear / ships I could be here for a long while .
Similar story here, I didn't have any real problems with the launch version either, I understood the concerns but I had still fun with it. But that's not important now I think, it's pretty much a whole different game at this point.

So what's your playtime? I'm up at 400 hours in total now when I look at my Steam page lol, but "only" about 70 hours on my last save. No other game in recent memory has kept me captivated that long, and I haven't even bothered reaching the centre of the galaxy yet. Unless they manage to release the update without breaking my bases I'll start over next week, seems like they've changed so many things that old structures and gameplay methods might not be optimal anymore.

My only worry now is the online talk. I'm a solo explorer, too many people are dumb so I want none of that, the only social experience I want in NMS sits beside me in the sofa as I said earlier. In the last version you could opt to play offline, I hope they still keep it that way.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tried the experimental PC branch this morning, runs way better than I remember the game running on my system. Starting to alleviate my fears about Beyond/VR on my rig.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

From the article itself it sounds like the interviewer at IGN saw a functioning example made by the crew at hello games:

"One of the most exciting elements is the expansion of base-building, not only allowing you to make bigger, but more complex structures. There are industrial elements for automating resource production, not to mention logic pieces that will allow you build 'smart' structures, not unlike Minecraft's redstone. When I walk into Hello Games' gameplay room, a group of devs is playing a version of Rocket League they've built on an abandoned moon. It's clearly pretty malleable."

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Tried the experimental PC branch this morning, runs way better than I remember the game running on my system. Starting to alleviate my fears about Beyond/VR on my rig.

What's on the experimental branch at the moment? I'm downloading it at the moment and I assume it's just performance improvements but is there a list somewhere?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
all i want is a way to automate the crafting/plant growing/refining/combining processes so everything runs like in a factory without me having to run from spot to spot collecting shit and then making shit to make more shit all of it manually.
this was insane and killed the game for me.
The building grind can be overwhelming. But how would you fix that automatic process and make that fun? I'm thinking it's like Minecraft and there you still have to mine iron ore and cut down trees to craft an iron sword, and you need to craft an owen and find sand to melt into glass and combine glass to make glass pane etc.
I don't know, the reason I never play in creation mode is because of the lack of challenge since you just get everything for free.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
The building grind can be overwhelming. But how would you fix that automatic process and make that fun? I'm thinking it's like Minecraft and there you still have to mine iron ore and cut down trees to craft an iron sword, and you need to craft an owen and find sand to melt into glass and combine glass to make glass pane etc.
I don't know, the reason I never play in creation mode is because of the lack of challenge since you just get everything for free.
conveyor belts.
have you ever played infinifactory or this kind of games ?
if refiners and mixers and plant growing machines were able to pop out the result next to the machine, and able to start a craft/refining process on their own when items just fall in a hole somewhere on the machine, then add conveyor belts and it's done.
The fun would be in building your systems, not running from one machine one to another like a Sisyphean headless chicken doing the same thing again and again and again and again.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
The power of this engine will future proof this studio into the next console cycle like no other. The ability to populate an entire galaxy with just the change of a spreadsheet has amazing potential and power.

Sitting on the sidelines, awaiting PS5 release. Thanks Hello Games.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I think with the Next update last year they were at the top of the Steam charts for a while. I ended up double dipping to get it on PC. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the top of the charts again with this update.

Between the millions of copies they've sold, the good PR from all these updates, and the fact their team is relatively small, I bet they are happy to keep distributing these updates for free and can easily afford to do it.

Edit: If you want to see how well they are doing, check their accounts on Companies House (companies in the UK have to file accounts publicly). They declared £29m profit for the financial period of the 18 months ended 31 Jan 2018, and £30m for the 9 months ended 31 Oct 2018. They had nearly £100m turnover across that period!

Clearly supporting NMS with free updates is good business for them, and it's well deserved. They put out updates, and then even more people buy it.

This is amazing isn't it? It's a really well done games as a service model. They get tons of copies sold everytime they release a new update and it more than makes up for the update being free.

I bought this game at launch for PS4 and later sold it cause I wasn't having much fun. Then I bought it again on PS4 when the Next update released and played dozens of hours with my cousin on multiplayer. Now I'm buying it again on Steam cause I have a better PC than my PS4 to run this game, and guess what? My cousin is buying it again also.

Hello Games really is doing something right there.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I haven't played this game in quite a while, but with the current updated version of the game, is the game algorithm able to create the truly giant creatures seen in the original trailers?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
conveyor belts.
have you ever played infinifactory or this kind of games ?
if refiners and mixers and plant growing machines were able to pop out the result next to the machine, and able to start a craft/refining process on their own when items just fall in a hole somewhere on the machine, then add conveyor belts and it's done.
The fun would be in building your systems, not running from one machine one to another like a Sisyphean headless chicken doing the same thing again and again and again and again.
Ah okay I understand, like those complex machines people make in Minecraft. That could be fun yeah but I'm not smart enough to get something like that functional lol. Personally I kinda like the crafting gameplay tbh, I have more issues with the Artemis grind, I feel like the story payoff isn't worth all that work.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Just bought this game on steam as I have a vive and not psvr. I would have bought on gog but i know for some reason gog lags behind getting the updates. I'd gotten a freighter and those extra ships you command too in the PS4 game. And a ship I liked. Now I gotta do it all over again.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017

I think a decent way of solving this would to number each planet within a solar system relative to the sun, i.e 1 to 6. So you'd know that even if planet 1 is in a different position than last time, you'd still know it was planet 1.

The problem at launch was that nobody remembered the planet names, so you'd get super confused every time they changed position.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
and it will introduce the next 100 annoying and gamebreaking bugs

seriously, cool when people like this game...i find it awful and still far from rockstable, at least the last big update there were so many broken things, straight up to corrupting save files and stuff like that is unaaceptable, regardless how many things they add to this boring game.

and no wonder they are still supporting it, every time they release a big free update it generates sales and therefore cash. i don´t see the "big turnaround", the game was boring Day One and is boring now.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

seriously, cool when people like this game...i find it awful and still far from rockstable, at least the last big update there were so many broken things, straight up to corrupting save files and stuff like that is unaaceptable, regardless how many things they add to this boring game.

and no wonder they are still supporting it, every time they release a big free update it generates sales and therefore cash. i don´t see the "big turnaround", the game was boring Day One and is boring now.

Cool.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Totally agree at this part. After the NEXT update, there was another one, I forgot the name... But either way, the NEXT update reset like, everything, I lost my original planet and everything. Then the one after NEXT messed up my home planet and base. Changed the colors and everything, realigned parts of my base so I couldn't walk through doorways at times. That was loads of work, down the drain.

So after they announced the beyond update, I put down the game. I'll wait for Beyond and then start over again if I have to, but I'm not going to continue playing when I know a major update is about to possibly undo all my effort.

Oct 27, 2017

Are you really complaining or at least being cynical about the massive level of support they've given the game post-launch, all completely free for new and existing players alike? Because that is really a nonsense.

rayhorakhty

Jul 30, 2019
Looking forward to playing this with my new Valve Index! Really happy they got this working with the new controllers too!

Speaking of milking creatures, it would be cool if they had added in farming mechanics ala Stardew Valley.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
i don´t see the "big turnaround", the game was boring Day One and is boring now.
NMS was always billed as a chill exploration experience even before launch, so I don't know what to tell you there (well, other than "do your research next time"). But just because this game was obviously not for you doesn't mean you can just straight-up ignore the biggest transformation a game has gone through since FFXIV.

Might be time for me to jump back in. How's the PS4 Pro performance these days?
Right now it's pretty good if you set the res to 1080p in system settings. An annoying workaround, I know, but Beyond is also expected to bring a ton of performance improvements with it, due to all the optimizations needed for VR.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Looking forward to playing this with my new Valve Index! Really happy they got this working with the new controllers too!

Speaking of milking creatures, it would be cool if they had added in farming mechanics ala Stardew Valley.

Well there is a greenhouse thing sort of when you construct a base to grow certain plants. There is a Bio-Dome with Hydroponic Trays you can construct

Some of this stuff existed as far back as the Foundation Update but it has expanded upon further since then.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
I have a question about the story: apart from the main one, the stories added in the different additions (Abyss, etc.), is it worth anything? It's just going from point A to point B, where it's just a facade between 2 biodomes to build?