• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn i wish the 2nd system could just only be played on the acc that bought it without the need of wifi since its a handheld and all. Still, its better than nothing

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Welcome to 2013 Nintendo.

Deactivating your console on a website is a must.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why some people are complaining about this. It makes a lot of sense in how it is implemented.

- You can game share to an extent, but two people can't be playing on the same account at the same time... which makes sense.
- They provide a way to (mostly) back up your saves online, and you can presumably be able to play from that save on two systems if you need too.
- If you break your Switch, you now have a way of changing your primary system and without losing save data or any of your downloaded games tied to your account.

suga41

Jan 10, 2018
This isn't just big. This is a complete game changer. This just completely made my night. Literally the one thing I was asking for from this service. I'm game sharing right now with my wife and I'm ecstatic right now. GG Nintendo. You took something I was barely excited for and made it one of the biggest deals of the year. YES

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Wait this is huge. Basically every game I buy on PS4 is half price because I game share it.

Also you can both play the game at the same time if the primary console has Wi-Fi turned off right? So it's fine for anything except playing online games together.
Well, the lack of online features on the system makes the choice to stay in airplane mode the majority of the time very easy.

Oct 26, 2017
So, you have to purchase the family plan ($35) first right?

My switch and my daughter's switch are both using the trial plans but can't download on hers.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Holy shit. No more "call Nintendo" bullshit if a Switch gets lost, stolen or broken. Hallelujah!

Why did two massive changes to Nintendo's online account system not appear in the Nintendo Direct but a recap of shit we already knew did? Guess that is just another trademark Nintendo decision that will never make any sense.
It's standard compliance to publish support page at the same time a new firmware releases and a new feature is supported such that a support page is necessary to accompany with it.

You don't want to publish a support page for a feature that isn't supported on the current firmware. That gets messy with unnecessary headaches.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
So we can't play the same game at the same time, but can we play different games at the same time? Or if I'm using the primary Switch, the secondary won't work? So I can put the primary switch offline, this way the secondary one won't see the primary online?

Thanks.
Same account can't be in use at the same time.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got so excited about this, only to be super disappointed that it doesn't work like on Xbox. Oh well.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Well, buying all those games in my 2nd account won't help me :( I wan't to game share the games with my wife but I have all my saves in my 1rst account. There is no way to send my saves to another user?

Oct 26, 2017
So the conundrum is whether I set up my daughter as primary so she doesn't have to switch users . then again i dont want to be limited to an online environment

Guess i'll keep mine primary

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
This is fantastic news. I share my Steam library with a friend so I'm sure she'll be up for sharing her Switch library with me. Fuck yes, more games.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
So the conundrum is whether I set up my daughter as primary so she doesn't have to switch users . then again i dont want to be limited to an online environment

Guess i'll keep mine primary

This is why I'm not excited about this like everyone else. It's too restrictive for my tastes. I think going physical whenever possible is a much better solution for me.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
And as long as I have connection my roommate and I can switch anytime?

On your Switch your roommate will be primary and you can play his games on your Switch without internet, but if he plays on his which his account will be non primary he needs internet and vice versa if you play your games on yours which will have your account as non primary you'll need to be online.

Hope that helps and there are drawbacks so make sure it fits your situation. I personally love it because it's like buying games half off since I get to play what my brother buys and vice versa.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
What are you talking about? The always online connected for validation is just too restrictive for my tastes on a portable system. I don't care on a console since it never moves and is almost always online. Portable system usage for me doesn't always have an online connection.
My B for jumping down your throat a bit. I read it as more of a complaint than pure statement. I just don't see many other options that wouldn't amount to further abuse of a system that could affect software sales.

I understand that it's not ideal for a system that loses connection often, but how else would Nintendo be sure only one license is being used? Any publisher would have major concerns if this wasn't the case.

The real use case to test is to use your games on a secondary system while also accessing them with another offline user on your primary system.

Yea, we need this info stat.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I know this is only hourly and only Amazon, but still seems good to know people is putting their money to good use
495e768cdd.jpg

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
Okay, so if I logged into my account on my GF's Switch, could she play my digital games on her account or would she have to be logged into mine?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
My B for jumping down your throat a bit. I read it as more of a complaint than pure statement. I just don't see many other options that wouldn't amount to further abuse of a system that could affect software sales.

I understand that it's not ideal for a system that loses connection often, but how else would Nintendo be sure only one license is being used? Any publisher would have major concerns if this wasn't the case.

I'm not faulting Nintendo for the limitations here. I'm just saying with the system being portable, the always online tether kind of kills this functionality for me. It's too bad we can't have something like the old PSN game sharing before they made it more restrictive, but again I understand why they changed it.

The way I look at is, I'm looking to maybe get my kid his own Switch but the second we go on vacation, that secondary system would be cut off from usage with digital games. At least with carts we can pass the cart back and forth even if only one person can play at a time. For multiplatform games, one of the primary reason why I would buy a Switch version is because of portability. If I'm not going to play it portable, I may as well buy it on my PS4 or XBO. So again, that online tether really hurts the usage for me.

Okay, so if I logged into my account on my GF's Switch, could she play my digital games on her account or would she have to be logged into mine?

You would put your account on her Switch and you would have to make her Switch your primary console for your account in order for her to use her profile with your games. Then for your system being the secondary, you would always have to be online.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If her Switch is marked as a secondary console (to you), then all she needs is to use your account to play your digital games.
Nintendo is terrible at PR
This is actually like a puzzle. It's really hard until you repeat the rules again and again.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I'm not faulting Nintendo for the limitations here. I'm just saying with the system being portable, the always online tether kind of kills this functionality for me. It's too bad we can't have something like the old PSN game sharing before they made it more restrictive, but again I understand why they changed it.

The way I look at is, I'm looking to maybe get my kid his own Switch but the second we go on vacation, that secondary system would be cut off from usage with digital games. At least with carts we can pass the cart back and forth even if only one person can play at a time. For multiplatform games, one of the primary reason why I would buy a Switch version is because of portability. If I'm not going to play it portable, I may as well buy it on my PS4 or XBO. So again, that online tether really hurts the usage for me.

You would put your account on her Switch and you would have to make her Switch your primary console for your account in order for her to use her profile with your games. Then for your system being the secondary, you would always have to be online.
Understandable. Physical and digital game sharing have their benefits and drawbacks. In that scenario a cart is definitely the way to go.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Currently downloading some games from a friend's account on my Switch. Let's see how it goes.

My main concern is related to cloud saves.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
So would it be possible to play wireless local coop games across 2 switches while using only 1 account? For example would I be able to set up my account on a friends switch, then download RE Revelations 2 on that switch then swap over to my Switch turn off the wifi and then play raid mode local wireless coop where we'd each have our own screen? Because that would be awesome if that was the case.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
This is better than nothing, I guess. But I think this is only fine for games that have multiple save slots or games where sharing progress is not a big deal, e.g. Mario Kart, etc. But for games like BOTW, you can't start a new save on the secondary device as that might wipe your existing progress. Or am I wrong about this?

Well, you could probably get around this by not backing up your save on the cloud.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
IIRC it's the same on PS4. Not the best mind you, but it's a start.

Once every 6 months on PS4, I think.

How many times a year you plan to get your swtich broken?? Serious question

It's not for fear of breaking my Switch. At most this "feature" is a simple API call that clears a flag tied to your console's MAC address or something. The only reason they make it so (arbitrarily) limited is because they can get away with it

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
im sure im missing something, but this just seems like signing in on another system, redownloading your games, and playing them on one or the other system?