• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

suga41

Jan 10, 2018
Been trying to figure that out myself. Seems there isn't a way to do so.
So it took me awhile to transfer my saves over but I'm now fully game sharing with my wife. To get my saves over to her switch I had to manually backup my saves (+ the backup save to cloud) on my switch and then manually download from the cloud on her switch (+ then download from cloud). Working great so far!

Edit: unless you're talking about two accounts that are yours (two regional accounts) gamesharing to one other account

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question, if I login with my boyfriend's account on my switch then I can download and play xenoblade, now that the saving data will be on the cloud, will it get affected if I start a new game? will I delete his?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Would some kind person explain this primary/non-primary terminology?

I have two Switches in my household, one is mine and one is my wife's. I have many digital purchases on my Switch and my account. My wife has a few digital purchases on her Switch and her account. In all use cases both of our Switches will be online at all times.

How would I make it to where my wife could download the games that I bought on my Switch and then use her account to play the games? Also, how would I do the reverse to where I could play her games with my account?

brick-a20b

Oct 25, 2017
It's not game sharing, it's simply allowing you to play your games on another switch. For example, if you're at a friends house and want to play super Mario party, then you'd log into your account on his switch, download the game, and play. With online saves I assume your progress would be brought in as well.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Would some kind person explain this primary/non-primary terminology?

I have two Switches in my household, one is mine and one is my wife's. I have many digital purchases on my Switch and my account. My wife has a few digital purchases on her Switch and her account. In all use cases both of our Switches will be online at all times.

How would I make it to where my wife could download the games that I bought on my Switch and then use her account to play the games? Also, how would I do the reverse to where I could play her games with my account?

You would put your account on her system and make her system the primary system for your account. Then you would put her account on your system and make your system the primary system for her account.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
You would put your account on her system and make her system the primary system for your account. Then you would put her account on your system and make your system the primary system for her account.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you put another user's account on your system? I see an option to add user, but it looks like you are adding a user from scratch. Do you create a new user then link it to another person's account?

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Ok just to clarify, we have two switches. The family switch which will be my primary and my personal switch which will be my secondary.

On the family switch we can all access all the games no matter which profile and even when offline.

On the secondary switch we can only access the games through my account and only when onlince.

So since my kids like using separate profiles, can i link my account to different profiles on the same switch if they dont have accounts linked?

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
It would be really awesome if someone can confirm that, in a game like BOTW, you can have different saves on the primary and secondary devices if you don't backup your saves in the cloud.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you need to switch the primary system. Just connect the other's ID to a new user on each switch.

I think you have to declare the primary system for the account in order for it to know how the content DRM is going to work on the system.

This is probably a dumb question, but how do you put another user's account on your system? I see an option to add user, but it looks like you are adding a user from scratch. Do you create a new user then link it to another person's account?

Not a dumb question, but something I don't know the answer to yet since I haven't done it.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
So is it confirmed that playing any digital game on the primary console kicks out the secondary user or is it just the same game?

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So can't the primary user just go offline and play a game and the secondary user can play any downloadable games?

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I think you have to declare the primary system for the account in order for it to know how the content DRM is going to work on the system.

Not a dumb question, but something I don't know the answer to yet since I haven't done it.
The original hardware is automatically the primary. It says you can access the eshop with the nonprimary.

I think so.

Does this have to be the FAMILY MEMBERSHIP or just regular?

This is great.

I don't think you need a membership for this to work. The family membership doesn't activate this feature.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017

I haven't tested this yet (mainly because I don't really know how to even start this) but I don't think that this would fully work. My wife would be able to play my games with her account on her Switch (and vise-versa) but I wouldn't be able to play my games with my account on my Switch (and vise-versa).

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tested this yet (mainly because I don't really know how to even start this) but I don't think that this would fully work. My wife would be able to play my games with her account on her Switch (and vise-versa) but I wouldn't be able to play my games with my account on my Switch (and vise-versa).

No it should work. If her primary account is on your system, that means any account on your system can play her games. In order to play your games, you would just have to be online as the two requirements for playing content on a secondary system is that the owner's profile has to play it and you have to be online.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Currently testing this, downloading a game from another persons account. Will post results when its done.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, only took them what, half a decade to get a decent account system.

And they didn't even mention it before it happened.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
on eshop in your account there is an option to make what account is primary, any other will be secondary

Right, I was pointing out it was necessary to define which accounts are primary on each system. The other poster was stating you didn't have to for the scenario we were talking about working.

ozfunghi

Oct 25, 2017
So, if i put my account also on my daughters Switch, she can play the games i purchased through the e-shop, but only by using my account on her Switch (meaning she can't use her account on her Switch to play the games i purchased with my account, even if my account is also registered on her Switch as a secondary console)?
If then, she uses my account on her Switch to play a game, i can still play another game on my own Switch, using... her account (if i also link hers to my Switch as secondary)?

This is how it is, right?

Furthermore, if she plays on her Switch using my account... will time played by her get logged on my account on MY Switch as well?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
So, if i put my account also on my daughters Switch, she can play the games i purchased through the e-shop, but only by using my account on her Switch (meaning she can't use her account on her Switch to play the games i purchased with my account, even if my account is also registered on her Switch as a secondary console)?
If then, she uses my account on her Switch to play a game, i can still play another game on my own Switch, using... her account (if i also link hers to my Switch as secondary)?

This is how it is, right?

Furthermore, if she plays on her Switch using my account... will time played by her get logged on my account on MY Switch as well?

She can only use her account if you set her Switch to be the primary system for your account otherwise you have it correct that she would have to use your account to play the game and be online too. You can play another game on your Switch using your account; there's no need to use her account unless you want to play a game that was bought on her account.

OMG YOU DONT HAVE TO SET THE ACCOUNT AS PRIMARY

We PS3 sharing now my dudes

You do if you want to use another profile to play the content and/or you want to play while not connected to the Internet.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
She can only use her account if you set her Switch to be the primary system for your account otherwise you have it correct that she would have to use your account to play the game and be online too. You can play another game on your Switch using your account; there's no need to use her account unless you want to play a game that was bought on her account.

You do if you want to use another profile to play the content and/or you want to play while not connected to the Internet.
This does not bother me, I do not bring my Switch anywhere.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Road to 20 million. Buy two Switches for the home, play the same games with just one account.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Never thought that would actually do it. For those who don't have Nintendo in the country, this feature is essential. Maybe I will actually buy a switch now... Depending on the price.

And guys, this features exits for you to access your account in different devices, not for someone else to do it.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Shame it doesn't work for online games. What makes having two PS4s at home so great is that we can play any game online together at the same time with a single PS+ subscription and digital game.

Well, I guess it's a start.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this is cool. Even though it is limited it still effectively allows users to have two games at once which is cool. Anyone know is there any option to not save games remotely on your primary switch?

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe they focused on the background noise distraction oh I'm mean the feature of everyone talking in one room through the app voice chat and not this in the Direct.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
They're right. For her to be able to use her own account to play those games, you'd need to make her system the primary for your account. Without that step, she could play your games on her system, but not without an internet connection and using your account.

The trouble there is that you'll be the one that's kicked for your own games if there's a conflict. Not difficult to coordinate for partners though.

Last edited:

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What I wouldn't give for them to let me play on a Secondary Switch Offline as long as I logged in Weekly haha.

That'll solve the Portable Issue.

chocobalt

Apr 2, 2018
I believe you couldn't have two instances of the same game purchase on two different systems when using different profiles. Both being online would neutralize one instance.
I just tested this out. The same game was open on both Switches, but the accounts were different. Both were connected to the internet, didn't get booted.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Wait has it been tested/confirmed that both players can play online simultaneously if the person with the sharing account set as primary uses a different account to play on the primary Switch?

If so, that's both cloud saves and online restriction solved.

I just tested this out. The same game was open on both Switches, but the accounts were different. Both were connected to the internet, didn't get booted.
HUGE!