• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still not convinced the "companies have to defend their trademarks/copyright" thing is real. Sega has said outright that making Sonic fangames is okay, so clearly that law is a lot more flexible than companies would have you believe.
It is a real thing. There is however the option of the IP owner entering some kind of agreement to permit the continued use, but giving them more control and oversight. That way they continue to control the IP and cannot be seen to be letting infringements go on unchallenged.

It happens in other media too.

It does really suck how heavy handed Nintendo are. It's just not a great way of dealing with it from a PR/community perspective.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm still not convinced the "companies have to defend their trademarks/copyright" thing is real. Sega has said outright that making Sonic fangames is okay, so clearly that law is a lot more flexible than companies would have you believe.
The difference is when you profit from it.

If you make a Sonic fangame, SEGA doesn't care.

If you try to sell it or make money in any way with it, that's when things get complicated.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, people, you can't run a business selling copyrighted products.

This isn't rocket science.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
If the Etsy joycons skins don't make use of the joycon name, while Etika does, I can see why they would be singled out. The photo in post 27 doesn't show any skins with joycon printed on them.

Jul 28, 2020
Looks like the issue, at least from what my brain is seeing here, is that the dude selling these for charity was also selling others for-profit. Unfortunately people will see this as ultra scummy, but in reality the kind effort is shadowed by a business practice Nintendo seems to have primarily targeted, so the good effort was caught in the crossfire.

Exploiting good feelings towards charities is quite a thing now, I see people quite often saying that they're going to donate a percentage of their profits to a particular charity for a certain amount of time. Often this is crappy pyramid scheme nonsense - things like "aromatherapy" kits or whatever. They share this stuff on social media, in the comments sections of stories about a particular charity or in replies to their posts. That's all definitely a scam and I can understand businesses not wanting to let their products be used to exploit the affection people have for particular causes or charities.

Really what Nintendo should do to avoid all this is to partner with some charities and give them the boost that their status could offer - they may or may not do this already. That way they could have a clear system to make sure that everything is above board and everyone's happy.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always said that they are the most consumer unfriendly of the platform holders and some kept defending everything they do.

Even if it is their right (no idea),it doesn't make much sense.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo could have been a mensch and just suggested they remove the infringing trademark(s), but it's not the legal teams place to tell people how to circumvent potential violations.

Using trademarked terms in your own name and on the face of an unlicensed product is kind of a rookie mistake and asking to get C&D'd.

Making profit off a suicide victim... yikes.

Pretty sure the proceeds from these were going to a youth mental health charity.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I always said that they are the most consumer unfriendly of the platform holders and some kept defending everything they do.

Even if it is their right (no idea),it doesn't make much sense.

If you sank money into R&D, manufacturing, product development, et al and then someone started re-selling your product, you would pursue them as well. Remove yourself from the consumer end and place yourself in their end. How many times have you had to do something at your job that was about protecting the company's assets, bottom line, reputation, etc?

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
It's the word JoyCon and the JoyCon logo that I would imagine Nintendo is unhappy with. Remove those and you would be fine.

Not to start an argument, but if you are selling something for your business, it's good to know business law.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
Nintendo really reaching for villain status this year. Sure it's within their rights what they're doing but... come on.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I mean, thing about Nintendo going after Etika-themed stuff is that they could - if they wanted to - work with the suppliers to create and manufacture these themselves. It would get far more reach than just someone doing an etsy or whatever, and would garner far more PR.
But, Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

OCD Guy

Nov 2, 2017
This isn't unusual. It's no different to Sony stopping that company from selling custom side plates.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Advertising a product you are reselling with someone's trademark seems not the best of ideas. Not just talking "Joy con" or whatever but also Smash logo.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's their IP being printed on it, ofcourse they're gonna go after it. Its shitty that's it's a charity obviously but they shouldn't have printed the IP on it.

Also as an aside, while this is a worthy issue I find associating it with #freemelee (which I support ftr) to be quite tasteless.

Last edited:
Why Nintendo took the design down

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
Nintendo hasn't shut him down though.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...witch-controllers-charity-etika-b1767396.html

At the bottom of that article, it says

Nintendo did not completely shut down the manufacture of the shells, Blake says, but rather "had me remove some designs and I'm modifying most of them."

"To my knowledge the only things that need to be removed are the words JoyCon and likely the split Nintendo Switch Logo surrounding these word", Blake told The Independent, although said on Reddit that the company "didn't specifically tell me why each design was taken down [but] they did include a list of copyrights my designs broke, and the word Joycon was on that list."

Blake also clarified that while some believed that Nintendo issued a blanket cease and desist order for his Etsy shop, this is not the case.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Yeah that and the fact that he had two failing Kickstarters of this very project before. Something just doesn't set right with me. Feels like he's using the recent fiasco for some kind of personal gain. We'll see if any GFMs or store sales go up soon.
The fact that this happened in September and now is speaking about it with him still be able to sell other cases makes it obvious

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
The post in this thread are fucking maddening to me. Copyright isn't something that needs to be defended ALL THE TIME. You guys saying Nintendo needs to "defend their IP" seem to think Nintendo looses the term "Joycon" cause these guys are making shells for charity. What you think a judge will let Microsoft make their own joycons now if Nintendo let's this fly???? Are you insane? Of course not! If that was the case then ever gaming channel on YouTube would own the copyright to fortnite and among us!

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
The post in this thread are fucking maddening to me. Copyright isn't something that needs to be defended ALL THE TIME. You guys saying Nintendo needs to "defend their IP" seem to think Nintendo looses the term "Joycon" cause these guys are making shells for charity. What you think a judge will let Microsoft make their own joycons now if Nintendo let's this fly???? Are you insane? Of course not! If that was the case then ever gaming channel on YouTube would own the copyright to fortnite and among us!

First of all, relax. Secondly, this guy didn't get shut down. He just had to make some changes and he was back in business. This is standard in every secondary product that involves intellectual property. This wasn't a big deal.

Now the timing of this coming out when the C&D came in September and omission of said facts initially really makes the intentions of this guy rather suspect. Add the fact that he's weaponizing a stranger's mental illness to sell a product (the claim of charity remains to be seen) makes it even more suspect.

There's just way too much in the air the really confirm anything in regards to the claims of this thread. That said, if you made this post in the TBH thread it'd make much more sense because that is rather dumb of Nintendo.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You can sell Joy Con shells as far as I can tell, just do go putting trademarked Nintendo logos and stuff on them.

What a non-issue. Fuck Nintendo for their horrid Melee bashing and Splatoon dumbfuckery, but this is so cut and dry. They aren't taking down the Etika controller skins, they're telling the dude making them he can't keep using the Switch logo and Joy-Con trademarks. They have to do this since he's not a licensee and does not have the rights.

Just because it's for charity, assuming that part is true, doesn't mean you are allowed to just do whatever you want. You can do charitable deeds by doing things properly, like you know...not using copyrighted or trademarked material. Simple concept, really.

Right. That's his fault, not Nintendo's.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's been doing the exact same thing for decades. I don't understand how people are still surprised/think they'll be the exception. Like, yeah, it's shitty Nintendo is removing this charity thing, but come on people it's like you keep slipping on the same banana peel and act like it's the first time. Stop walking in that direction.

Who are you even talking to? I never said I was shocked by their actions, in fact I stated that it gets worse every day. Even then, the answer to dealing with this isn't "just accept it that they work this way and move on." People should absolutely keep talking about the shit Nintendo does and keep the pressure on them.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
SlashGames, you might want to update the OP:

Nintendo hasn't shut him down though.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...witch-controllers-charity-etika-b1767396.html

At the bottom of that article, it says

Nintendo did not completely shut down the manufacture of the shells, Blake says, but rather "had me remove some designs and I'm modifying most of them."

"To my knowledge the only things that need to be removed are the words JoyCon and likely the split Nintendo Switch Logo surrounding these word", Blake told The Independent, although said on Reddit that the company "didn't specifically tell me why each design was taken down [but] they did include a list of copyrights my designs broke, and the word Joycon was on that list."

Blake also clarified that while some believed that Nintendo issued a blanket cease and desist order for his Etsy shop, this is not the case.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, another reason to stop buying Nintendo shit. They always find a way to disappoint me :/

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao, typical. People couldn't wait for a clarification before raging and telling Nintendo to fuck off.

Jan 21, 2019
Is it console warring if I say that Nintendo is easily the worst when it comes to managing their community and fanbase? I mean all of them do shit from time to time but Nintendo looks like the playground bully that never stops. Imagine if Nintendo handled fangames as Sega does.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Lmao, typical. People couldn't wait for a clarification before raging and telling Nintendo to fuck off.
To be fair corporations are scummy in general, telling a company to fuck off is generally justified.
It just so happens that this one specific time, it wasn't warranted.