• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Not any more awkward than it would be on a TV. Would actually have a few more options to work with because you can rotate the screen to be vertical. The various screen layouts the Wii U VC emulator offered should give a decent idea of how things would work.
The vertical orientation doesn't really let you use button controls, though. DS on Switch could work, but I think the main reason it was brought to Wii U is because of the "TV main screen, gamepad touch screen" setup, and since that isn't possible on Switch Nintendo won't want to do it with the variously compromised alternative layouts.

Oct 27, 2017
Also been playing Mario Party 5 lately as I finally got a copy that isn't at wildly high price (well, was at $50, but for it to come in like new condition, case and manual as well, I feel like I paid a decent price).

But uhhh, huh....
This game's kinda mediocre.

Having to pay to use items, lots of mini-games based on luck, board designs being sort of awkward, and poor difficulty scaling (either you play on easy and normal and get your wins handed to you, or you go on hard and you fight for your life).

Got to wonder why this is the highest priced Gamecube Mario Party on sites like eBay...

The boards' aesthetics are super cute and are honestly enough to keep me playing, I'll give them that.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The vertical orientation doesn't really let you use button controls, though. DS on Switch could work, but I think the main reason it was brought to Wii U is because of the "TV main screen, gamepad touch screen" setup, and because that isn't possible on Switch Nintendo won't want to do it with the variously compromised alternative layouts.

You don't really need buttons for a lot of the games that'd be most useful for. Plus this is where the detachable Joy-Cons really shine.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
In a bit of a dilemma:

I'm currently staying in Dallas for work and my sister and her family live there and want to me to stay longer. They have a place for me to stay, so I can get out of this hotel. They are pretty loaded so I'd be living better than I am back home 😂.

On the flip side, I have my Switch OLED coming soon and I want to set it up and play.

Should I cut short my stay and get the OLED or stat with family a while longer? 🤔

I'm leaning toward staying, since I'm Canadian and hate when it gets colder back home.
Families are overrated.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Me? I'm just hoping for the left field announcement that Microsoft and Nintendo have worked together to finally release Goldeneye Remastered (the XBLA remaster) on Switch, Xbox, and PC.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemaniac is correct. The first, in theory, reads games faster. However, I'd caution you against getting SD cards off Amazon. If you scroll down to the reviews, you'll see a ton of negative reviews. Online sellers will sell SD cards that look official but have less storage space, lower speeds, etc. I've never had a person with this in-store (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.), so just a word of caution.
I've always been nervous about getting fakes, but what about ones that are sold and shipped by Amazon themselves and not a 3rd party seller?

UnrulyUmbreon

Apr 2, 2018
I've always been nervous about getting fakes, but what about ones that are sold and shipped by Amazon themselves and not a 3rd party seller?

Amazon themselves does unwittingly sell fakes. It's not just an issue with third party sellers. As others have noted, there's no risk buying it through Amazon if you're willing to test it and potentially return it.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
if we get N64 and GB/GBC stuff this month I'm gonna be over the moon tbh

I was definitely in the "it could happen or not and it's all chill" camp until the FCC document, but now I'm feeling zany with possibility. honestly I'm so satisfied with everything right now that literally anything at all in the potential direct is a neat bonus.

if the listing really is an N64 controller, that's gonna be fucking wild

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
My knowledge is strictly based on knowing GB/GBC, N64, and more is planned for NSO.

Be still my beating heart, but even then I imagine it to be more 2D console offerings at most. Certainly Sega Genesis on the NSO is wishful thinking at best; Sega could easily make far more money repackaging the ROMs on their Genesis Mini for all console makers for $50 digital.

More 99 games maybe, but I hope Nintendo is more creative in what they offer as NSO subscription bonuses.

Also been playing Mario Party 5 lately as I finally got a copy that isn't at wildly high price (well, was at $50, but for it to come in like new condition, case and manual as well, I feel like I paid a decent price).

But uhhh, huh....
This game's kinda mediocre.

Having to pay to use items, lots of mini-games based on luck, board designs being sort of awkward, and poor difficulty scaling (either you play on easy and normal and get your wins handed to you, or you go on hard and you fight for your life).

Got to wonder why this is the highest priced Gamecube Mario Party on sites like eBay...

The boards' aesthetics are super cute and are honestly enough to keep me playing, I'll give them that.

I'm in complete agreement. The mini games and especially having to pay coins to use those capsule items was hot garbage. The only good parts of the game I enjoyed were beyond the meat and potatoes, which I recall being some literal wooden board game with funny team names based on the two characters you picked and a 1v1 tank fighting game (but Donkey Kong's tank can burn in hell).

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I mean, like, I skipped the NES and SNES but

I would have to buy an official Bluetooth N64 controller, right

that'd be too crazy not to own

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017

I just hope that there's some hope for the clear plastic colors to make an appearance

dlvolk145hf61.jpg

Dragoncaine

Jun 5, 2019
I was enjoying a lot Super Metroid. But now I just want to get out of Maridia.
All my homies hate Maridia

I'm right there with you, N64 was my first console and it's just too bizarre an item to pass up.

Also, I started Samus Returns today after a good buddy lent me his 3DS with SR, A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem Awakening, and MM 3D -- all of which I've never played.

After I beat SR, I have to play Fusion before Dread, but I can't wait to dive into ALBW and MM3D for the first time (MM is my favorite game ever).

SR is pretty good so far! Just got the Varia suit so now I'm backtracking to Area 1 to see what's up. The 3DS controls definitely take some getting use to and are a little cramp-inducing, but it's a fun novelty to see the 3D.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
if we get N64 and GB/GBC stuff this month I'm gonna be over the moon tbh

I was definitely in the "it could happen or not and it's all chill" camp until the FCC document, but now I'm feeling zany with possibility. honestly I'm so satisfied with everything right now that literally anything at all in the potential direct is a neat bonus.

if the listing really is an N64 controller, that's gonna be fucking wild
GB/GBC first and N64 in a few months seems possible, but still being announced together. It would make sense as a fallback if a system intended for 2020 was delayed. Releasing them close together lets you make a big splash with the initial announcement, and then keep people reporting on NSO for longer with the staggered rollout.

Even if that happens, though, it doesn't necessarily mean anything is releasing in September. But hopefully.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
This is the week

That we'll be one week closer to Metroid Dread. Also probably previews for Metroid Dread. And you, know, maybe a Direct or something idk

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a direct, it's going to most likely drop in Sept or October, so that's 6 weeks give or take. If you're on team September directs, then chances are 50/50 its next week.

I don't think they will end the year with no directs, if that's what some people are suggesting.
I'm also not very enthused about GB/N64 NSO, the launch titles are going to be games we've played on Virtual Console before, and if there's a new price tier with nothing but just improved NSO, it also sounds like a bad deal, so I'm hoping there's more than that. But whatever that is, I can't think of it.

Nintendo really should improve the selection on their NSO, and I don't mean platform selection, but game selection. Pay some money to get some big games and interesting games on the NES/SNES services. Stuff like Elite was on NES, why not get that there. How about adding some 3rd party racing games like Top Gear, or even some strategy games. Both NES/SNES had several from KOEI.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Well gang, it's down to this week. If the TGS strategy is maintained, it'll be sometime this week. If not, we almost certainly won't have any Directs until 2022.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I think that we had a year recently where a November direct happened.

So it's always a possibility since we already have a packed release schedule until December that direct happens later like November, to give us the early 2022 releases.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

So it's always a possibility since we already have a packed release schedule until December that direct happens later like November, to give us the early 2022 releases.
If we're talking General Directs, then no

Unless we're counting 2015 as "recently"

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

I couldn't find a November Direct in recent history, though I may have missed something. As to the latter point, that isn't really what Directs are for.

In the Switch era fall Directs have run like clockwork: a week before TGS have something that hosts a lot of third party news. This week will be a trial of this strategy, but I'd say the odds are good.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a direct, it's going to most likely drop in Sept or October, so that's 6 weeks give or take. If you're on team September directs, then chances are 50/50 its next week.

I don't think they will end the year with no directs, if that's what some people are suggesting.
I'm also not very enthused about GB/N64 NSO, the launch titles are going to be games we've played on Virtual Console before, and if there's a new price tier with nothing but just improved NSO, it also sounds like a bad deal, so I'm hoping there's more than that. But whatever that is, I can't think of it.

Nintendo really should improve the selection on their NSO, and I don't mean platform selection, but game selection. Pay some money to get some big games and interesting games on the NES/SNES services. Stuff like Elite was on NES, why not get that there. How about adding some 3rd party racing games like Top Gear, or even some strategy games. Both NES/SNES had several from KOEI.
Localization would be an issue, but the real holy grail of NSO content would be Satellaview content.

That said, there's also a lot of simpler to release first party NES and SNES games that are still missing for either no good reason, or because they rely on a peripheral that really probably wouldn't be that hard to emulate, like the NES Zapper or SNES mouse.

LiC

Dec 1, 2017
Why would they pay money for "interesting" games that the majority of people wouldn't know or care about? At least with something like GoldenEye the argument can be made that a deal would be worth it because that would draw a lot of attention and (presumably) subscriptions.

The halcyon* days of Wii VC aren't coming back. Third parties got wise to how much money they could make by repackaging their own games without a middle man, and Nintendo now has 10-15 years of VC data from three platforms that tell them exactly how much some things are worth to their average customer.

* For a certain kind of consumer which clearly Nintendo doesn't think is the most widely represented.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

Cloud was announced in a november direct. although I still think this week is the most likely concerning TGS

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
So the first of the Persona 25th Anniversary announcements was nothing for the west (Concert, stage play, and some other stuff in Japan), but thinking about it that makes sense. Atlus, especially lately, have been very focused on not talking about any games that come out after their upcoming release, which is currently getting their big push (SMTV right now).

So the second announcement is scheduled for December 2021. And I think it has a decent chance of being a new game announcement, since once SMTV comes out, Atlus has... zero announced games? I think? Unless you count Project Re:Fantasy. And given how Atlus has been operating recently it seems likely that the next game they've got after SMTV is probably a port or remaster of some kind, so my bet is on that being unveiled in December.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Not gonna amount to much unless Eon Productions is on board.

EON Productions is just a subsidiary of Danjaq, who really owns the rights to James Bond. And Danjaq are the ones who have been personally doing the trademark stuff regarding Goldeneye multiple times since August of last year, specifically for use as video game software. No reason for that without intent to use.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I have two threads here that I regular in.

This, which I took a six months hiatus from.
And Media Create Sales from which Chris was now banned.

Maybe it's time to move on completely.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
So the first of the Persona 25th Anniversary announcements was nothing for the west (Concert, stage play, and some other stuff in Japan), but thinking about it that makes sense. Atlus, especially lately, have been very focused on not talking about any games that come out after their upcoming release, which is currently getting their big push (SMTV right now).

So the second announcement is scheduled for December 2021. And I think it has a decent chance of being a new game announcement, since once SMTV comes out, Atlus has... zero announced games? I think? Unless you count Project Re:Fantasy. And given how Atlus has been operating recently it seems likely that the next game they've got after SMTV is probably a port or remaster of some kind, so my bet is on that being unveiled in December.
I hope the Dec news is P4G coming to Switch. And I'll hope for that with every other of their announcements from here on out, lmao.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Honestly the "Nintendo doesn't need a September Direct, they already have games dated for the rest of the year" argument is super weird considering that was also the case for every other September Direct and that didn't stop them

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the "Nintendo doesn't need a September Direct, they already have games dated for the rest of the year" argument is super weird considering that was also the case for every other September Direct and that didn't stop them
This is true actually lol.

I think it's because this time it's because Metroid is coming. Other times it was just games that weren't that "hype"

Ibrahim

Feb 1, 2020
Yeah i mean what about Mario party and Advance Wars they never talked about it outside E3. Indie games like Sports Story. Updates for Super Smash and AC. Even the NSO and Q1 2022 games. A direct will cover all of this

rodeo_chirb

Jun 16, 2020
And I think it has a decent chance of being a new game announcement, since once SMTV comes out, Atlus has... zero announced games? I think? Unless you count Project Re:Fantasy.
How much do we know about Project Re:Fantasy? I remember when the first teaser came out but nothing since. Has it just been radio silent? Would love to finally figure out what kind of game we have to look forward to.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I have two threads here that I regular in.

This, which I took a six months hiatus from.
And Media Create Sales from which Chris was now banned.

Maybe it's time to move on completely.
Wait wait wait WHAT? How did Chris get banned from the sales thread? He's like... THE sales guy. How will it even exist without him? And even if it does, I'm not sure I'd want it to

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Wait wait wait WHAT? How did Chris get banned from the sales thread? He's like... THE sales guy. How will it even exist without him? And even if it does, I'm not sure I'd want it to
It probably won't exist in the same form as it does now.
I have zero idea why Chris was banned. I tried to skim through the last threads and I still have zero idea.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
It probably won't exist in the same form as it does now.
I have zero idea why Chris was banned. I tried to skim through the last threads and I still have zero idea.
I've been reading through it as well and I can't seem to find why either. That's a massive shame, I always look forward to reading that thread every week, and Chris was always a big part of why, since he knows his stuff and was great at shutting down people who had no idea what they were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.