What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm going to just assume there's no Direct this week. Not because of any logical reason, but because this is the week I decided to sort out a Wednesday off work despite not having any real reason why. Clearly such hubris must be punished.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
My mistake, yeah. I got the lines mixed up and thought you were referencing Chibi-Robo as a rebuttal to my point. No need to make your response so hostile, though.

What if the dub is bad though

Like "Mega Man anime," bad?

No worries! It's easy to get things mixed up when quotes aren't used in response to stuff.

They might one day be back in the form of individual probably-higher-than-$60-total downloads but the actual '3D All Stars' package seems to be gone forever. Thankfully physical copies aren't exactly that expensive, and are even being sold new in a lot of places, so you at least have that option. Sucks if you've chosen to go all-digital, though; I fully understand the frustration there :(

If the dub for Nocturne is anything to go by I think the dub will sound good.

I hope lol.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
What are the chances of ever seeing those Mario 3D All Stars games available digitally again?

I stupidly passed on that release, but it's getting to the seasonal time of year where I want to play Galaxy. Any credible rumours or reason to think they'll be back?
Well there are rumors of N64 NSO so maybe 64 will be on that

But you're out of luck for Galaxy or Sunshine

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo is really bringing more platforms to NSO, why did they wait so long? It's been like, what, 2 or 3 years since SNES was added?
NERD was kind of busy last year with 3D All Stars.
They're more likely to go the Miitopia route with 3DS games I think. Especially since some of them would have to be heavily retooled if they did come over, like KI Uprising.
Most 3DS games would probably control basically fine on Switch with a capacitive stylus, assuming touch is even needed in the first place.

I think it's more likely than not 3DS emulation is something that shows up eventually (though maybe not until Dane is out). Something like the Miitopia port probably took a lot more effort than the Wii U ports.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Last week of vacation let's goooo

Working on my backlog; SMT III needs to go. Currently in late game,
Black temple, just defeated Alciel

Still in my backlog;

- Bravely Default II (Early chapter 4)
- Great Ace Attorney Chtonicles (Only completed case 1…)
- Vampyr (Not started yet)
- Paper Mario TOK (in the mail)

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Since the "Respect for the Aged Day" Holiday was mentioned, I decided to check whether Nintendo twitted on their Japanese account in the recent past.

Respect for the Aged Day in 2018 - September 17th, 2018

Tweeted at 10:00 JST

Respect for the Aged Day in 2020 - September 21st, 2020

Tweeted at 12:00 JST

From what I could see, no tweet on the Respect for the Aged Day in 2016, 2017 or 2019. Also, what they tweeted about were updates / reminder on already-announced items.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
What if the dub is bad though

Like "Mega Man anime," bad?
While dubs still vary in quality, obviously, I think we are mostly past the days of really bad dubs. I haven't played a game with english voice work that I would call "bad" in a really long time. Plus SMT3 just got a good dub, so I think it's pretty safe

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Since the "Respect for the Aged Day" Holiday was mentioned, I decided to check whether Nintendo twitted on their Japanese account in the recent past.

From what I could see, no tweet on the Respect for the Aged Day in 2016, 2017 or 2019. Also, what they tweeted about were updates / reminder on already-announced items.

Interesting detective work. I see no reason why there could not be a direct announcement if they have previously tweeted.

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020

These seem likely to be scheduled tweets, and Direct announcements are usually not scheduled

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I'm seriously considering Cruis'N Blast but I have two potential issues...

1) Do the tracks actually feel fun to play on or are they just fun to look at? I know this is a bit of an abstract question. My main worry is that I'll buy the game and end up not enjoying it as much because I've already seen a lot of the 'cool' moments simply by watching a few reviews.

2) Is there enough content there to make things worthwhile? Like, I know there's a bunch of different vehicles to unlock but are those vehicles differentiated in any meaningful way to make unlocking them something you'd want to go for?

Thanks for any answers :)

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
What's the shortest notice they've given for a direct? Regular and non regular?
The shortest notice for a non-General is technically no notice at all since Minis are usually shadowdropped. But I think the shortest time when notice was actually given would be the first Partner Showcase, which was less than 12 hours

For a General Direct it would be day- before notice

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I genuinely believe Nintendo never wanted to make NSO. covid can't explain shit since that was in the last year. they just treat it like a bastard and only do so much as to not have child protection services on their ass
Idk if I'd say they never wanted it, but I was honestly thinking they weren't seeing the sub numbers they wanted or something, and just weren't going to support it in a big way any longer. Happy to be wrong in any case.
NERD was kind of busy last year with 3D All Stars.

Most 3DS games would probably control basically fine on Switch with a capacitive stylus, assuming touch is even needed in the first place.

I think it's more likely than not 3DS emulation is something that shows up eventually (though maybe not until Dane is out). Something like the Miitopia port probably took a lot more effort than the Wii U ports.
Hm, I guess that's a good point, if NERD is who is behind the emulation for the new platforms.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk if I'd say they never wanted it, but I was honestly thinking they weren't seeing the sub numbers they wanted or something, and just weren't going to support it in a big way any longer. Happy to be wrong in any case.
the games drive sub numbers, and if they want those up, they should put out more online-focused games. if there was a specific number to hit, and didn't, that's on them

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
the games drive sub numbers, and if they want those up, they should put out more online-focused games. if there was a specific number to hit, and didn't, that's on them
Is that really the case? I'd like for that to be true, and I know it's a huge part of why I'm subscribed, but I kinda assumed the vast majority of people were only subbing for online playing and cloud saves.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm seriously considering Cruis'N Blast but I have two potential issues...

1) Do the tracks actually feel fun to play on or are they just fun to look at? I know this is a bit of an abstract question. My main worry is that I'll buy the game and end up not enjoying it as much because I've already seen a lot of the 'cool' moments simply by watching a few reviews.

2) Is there enough content there to make things worthwhile? Like, I know there's a bunch of different vehicles to unlock but are those vehicles differentiated in any meaningful way to make unlocking them something you'd want to go for?

Thanks for any answers :)
1) Yes, the tracks are loads of fun. The game is fun to play, period. It has the satisfying slingshot-style drifting of MK8D (not exactly the same, mind you), and the game runs at a speed similar to the 200cc mode in that game, but here the tracks are actually designed for that speed. There are destructible elements, branching paths, and all manner of points where you're sent flying. There are about nine core tracks that are then remixed with different starting points and directions, time of day, weather, climate (i.e. snow instead of desert), mirrored layouts, altered side paths and collectibles, and unique setpiece spectacle. It's great.

2) The vehicles have different handling, but what's especially fun is upgrading them, which is largely cosmetic but dramatically changes their appearance (you can toggle upgrades on/off if you want to revert to earlier styles). It's weirdly addictive, like leveling up a Pokémon to see what new form it will take. There are 23 vehicles, most of which you unlock by completing tours and finding the 87 hidden keys, and then you use in-game cash (or keys) to buy them, at which point you unlock upgrades by winning races and leveling up (you will usually need 20 first-place finishes to max out a vehicle), and you then buy those upgrades once they're unlocked, so you will want to target the stacks of cash found on the tracks as well. Upgrades include neon, decals, body kits and engines; a huge selection of paint colors is available for each ride by default.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that really the case? I'd like for that to be true, and I know it's a huge part of why I'm subscribed, but I kinda assumed the vast majority of people were only subbing for online playing and cloud saves.
NSO subs is just a cherry on top of their cake. who knows if there's a minimum number for them to hit, but I don't think it matters to them since it's just extra cash. but Nintendo hasn't pushed online integration with many of the games they put out, so I don't think they're too worried about subscriber counts beyond making investors happy

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, and it's a tad disappointing how rare they're becoming nowadays, especially in the AAA space.

On Sony's end most of their developers are now working on massive megaprojects, even those who were previously known for concise experiences like Naughty Dog and Sony Santa Monica. Microsoft isn't looking much better with even Halo becoming a, well, 'Infinite' live-service open-world deal. With Nintendo, when it comes to original software this gen, we've had... Luigi's Mansion 3 and, well, not much else that really fits your time-frame. Hell, most already-long games are now getting even longer, with games like RDR2, Yakuza: LAD and Persona 5 representing a massive inflation in game-time compared to their predecessors.

I do cherish the likes of Resident Evil Village, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Psychonauts 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3 in an age where every single new release demands at least a few days of near-constant play to finish. Here's hoping Metroid Dread manages to fit that sweet spot; that's definitely the kind of game that will suffer if it's too long or too short.

As others have said, New Pokémon Snap just barely qualifies although I wasn't really thinking of games like it which have hours upon hours of side content. I was thinking more stuff like the Metroid Prime games, Prince of Persia (Sands of Time was apparently like 9h so I'm not a huge stickler for game length) or Ratchet & Clank which I was playing earlier. These titles used to be like the movies of games but nowadays everyone wants to be television. I found it pretty wild that TLOU2 was roughly 60% longer than its predecessor.

Metroid Dread I definitely expect to fall somewhere in this range, same with Prime 4.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I almost thought SR was too long, though that could just be the areas themselves weren't really interesting or named to justify the length

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
NSO subs is just a cherry on top of their cake. who knows if there's a minimum number for them to hit, but I don't think it matters to them since it's just extra cash. but Nintendo hasn't pushed online integration with many of the games they put out, so I don't think they're too worried about subscriber counts beyond making investors happy
Yeah, I guess that's true, actually. They haven't really pushed online too heavily outside of Smash Splatoon, and Mario Kart (which hasn't gotten any real updates for a long time now).

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess that's true, actually. They haven't really pushed online too heavily outside of Smash Splatoon, and Mario Kart (which hasn't gotten any real updates for a long time now).

Pretty sure Animal Crossing sold a lot of NSO memberships. Wouldn't be surprised if ACNH's success was part of the reason Nintendo felt less inclined to add a new system last year. They probably had some metric for how many subs they wanted and when they exceeded it, they decided time and money for more NSO systems was better targeted elsewhere.

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
How do we know what announcements are scheduled and not? Genuine question as tbh I always thought of news tweets as scheduled no matter what.
It's hard to know, but a while back all of NoE's scheduled tweets were being leaked and it was basically all just marketing stuff
What's the shortest notice they've given for a direct? Regular and non regular?
9 hours for the first Partner Showcase. Not including shadow dropped minis
They could do a Tuesday announcement for a Thursday Direct. Most of the time they also post a reminder tweet a few hours before it starts but that could easily be scheduled.
I think that's the most likely scenario, yeah

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Much like SNES Online feels incomplete due to the lack of Square Enix content, a N64 Online without Rare games would feel lacking.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Tempted to start another farm in the ol' Stardew Valley soon, but there's a competing thought in my mind to just wait until the inevitable update in January/February.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
N64 only needs Paper Mario and we good.

And pokemon stadium games. Ain't that good but would be fine to play a pre-selected team in those modes

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
If Nintendo is really bringing more platforms to NSO, why did they wait so long? It's been like, what, 2 or 3 years since SNES was added?

SNES was added in 2019. They didn't add anything in 2020. Sure it's possible they had N64 or GB planned for 2020 and those plans got delayed due to COVID. It's also possible they just didn't plan to add a platform in 2020. Maybe they just wanted to sell Mario 64 one more time before putting it on NSO. So 2020 became about Super Mario 35 and NSO expansion was planned for 2021. Maybe people staying home playing online was a boost to NSO (going to friends animal crossing islands) and they figured they had another year before they had to add anything else.

It's hard to say. They're patient and love to drip feed things we can't get anywhere else, and it's incredibly frustrating. My guess is they planned for Fall 2020 to be about Super Mario, waiting for 2021 to add the next console.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
September 13th, 2017 (Nintendo Direct) -> September 21st, 2017 (TGS 2017)
September 13th, 2018 (Nintendo Direct) -> September 20th, 2018 (TGS 2018)
September 4th, 2019 (Nintendo Direct) -> September 14th, 2019 (TGS 2019)
September 17th, 2020 (Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase) -> September 23rd, 2020 (TGS 2020)

I'm just sayin'

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
September 13th, 2017 (Nintendo Direct) -> September 21st, 2017 (TGS 2017)
September 13th, 2018 (Nintendo Direct) -> September 20th, 2018 (TGS 2018)
September 4th, 2019 (Nintendo Direct) -> September 14th, 2019 (TGS 2019)
September 17th, 2020 (Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase) -> September 23rd, 2020 (TGS 2020)

I'm just sayin'
Alright. We getting a Partner showcase.

koolkipper

Jun 29, 2020
After having listened to the spawncast, and hearing Nate saying he atleast expects N64 to be added my march of 22, that makes total sense going with the idea of the confidentiality of HAC-043 (assuming its n64 controller)ending in march of 22. But imo, it seems unlikely that they would make such a large addition to nso anytime other than september as to get people to renew subs. Oppositely it feels very unlike nintendo to make two sizable additions to nso at the same time? Maybe the idea of new tiers of subs takes care of that concern? Anyone else been thinking about this?

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
After having listened to the spawncast, and hearing Nate saying he atleast expects N64 to be added my march of 22, that makes total sense going with the idea of the confidentiality of HAC-043 (assuming its n64 controller)ending in march of 22. But imo, it seems unlikely that they would make such a large addition to nso anytime other than september as to get people to renew subs. Oppositely it feels very unlike nintendo to make two sizable additions to nso at the same time? Maybe the idea of new tiers of subs takes care of that concern? Anyone else been thinking about this?
GB/GBC - September

N64 and NSO+ - March

Status
Not open for further replies.