Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Xenoblade 2 was 1.5 million so my bad, and Samus returns was 1m but I actually don't think we know, only that it was "successful" to Nintendo. So I figure around 1m

Regardless this thread assumes the worst about Metroid when it hasn't even gotten the chance on switch boost. MP1 sold more than XC2 on the flop GCN so.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
We'll probably have our Zelda-related questions answered soon. As for the Pro, probably nothing until at least H2 (which is getting pretty close already)

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Is it weird that I'm still on the fence when it comes to New Pokemon Snap despite the fact that it looks like I'd absolutely love it lmao

Jan 2, 2021
I thought Xenoblade 2 was 1.5 million so my bad, and Samus returns was 1m but I actually don't think we know, only that it was "successful" to Nintendo. So I figure around 1m

Regardless this thread assumes the worst about Metroid when it hasn't even gotten the chance on switch boost. MP1 sold more than XC2 on the flop GCN so.
That's the real Metroid Dread--when every discussion invariably devolves into a sales argument.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
XC2 had sold around 2.05m as of last June. It was keeping pace with DE, after that game's initial release spike.

We've also seen renewed interest in recent months after Pyra and Mythra were added to Smash. The game has charted in several regions and I've seen more and more people stream it.

Anecdotally, the Xenoblade Reddit has seen a steady stream of new players in the last couple of months too.

All of this is to say, XC2 could be at 2.2/2.3m now.

I'm not totally convinced a 2D Metroid can outperform that considering it's only done that once before - and that was 35 years ago.

Though that's not to say it can't reach or exceed those numbers if it's good, looks the part and benefits from the success of the Switch. But I don't think the evidence - based on sketchy sales data admittedly - suggests it's a slam dunk.

Prime 4 should be beating that figure - but even then, only the first Prime has outsold XC2... again, based on the limited numbers we have.

Intrigued to see how Prime 4 and the next Xenoblade stack up though...

Jan 2, 2021
She's playing safe and with something that's basically confirmed. We are getting AoC DLC info this month. They are supposed to tell us what weapons we are getting for preordering the game. That's what they are using for "starting Zelda 35th Celebration"
Yeah, that's gotta be it. (I mostly just love an excuse to use that gif, lol.)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Well, yes. It was Metroid Prime, an incredibly hyped release and generally regarded as a cornerstone of the GameCube's libraries as well as one of the greatest video games of all time.

I think Prime 4 will outsell Prime 1 unless it's an unremarkable and mediocre game just thanks to the Switch boost + 15 years of anticipation but I don't know how to measure a 2D Metroid's potential.

oracion

Jan 7, 2018
Tokyo
The more people believe that BOTW2 will be released this year, the more I feel it will not be released this year.
Maybe I'm just a contrarian.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
The more people believe that BOTW2 will be released this year, the more I feel it will not be released this year.
Maybe I'm just a contrarian.
Personally, I've never been on team 2021, I've always felt like BOTW2 will likely release in 2022 because Nintendo can release other games during the Fall or November and make a ton of money while BOTW2 is the title that's advertised with the Switch Pro (or whatever the hell its called)

Jan 2, 2021
XC2 had sold around 2.05m as of last June. It was keeping pace with DE, after that game's initial release spike.

We've also seen renewed interest in recent months after Pyra and Mythra were added to Smash. The game has charted in several regions and I've seen more and more people stream it.

Anecdotally, the Xenoblade Reddit has seen a steady stream of new players in the last couple of months too.

All of this is to say, XC2 could be at 2.2/2.3m now.

I'm not totally convinced a 2D Metroid can outperform that considering it's only done that once before - and that was 35 years ago.

Though that's not to say it can't reach or exceed those numbers if it's good, looks the part and benefits from the success of the Switch. But I don't think the evidence - based on sketchy sales data admittedly - suggests it's a slam dunk.

Prime 4 should be beating that figure - but even then, only the first Prime has outsold XC2... again, based on the limited numbers we have.

Intrigued to see how Prime 4 and the next Xenoblade stack up though...
Really happy for XC2's success. Such a great series. Here's hoping both the next Metroid and Xenoblade games outperform fan expectations.

Fierce Deity

May 17, 2020
FY, yes. Unsure about CY. Depends when production begins.
Gotcha, thanks! Yeah as much as I would prefer it to be revealed and released this year. I feel like if it's 2022, Nintendo wouldn't want to announce it this year because of the risk of potentially slowing down holiday sales of the current switch but who knows. Maybe we'll get a repeat of the January switch reveal.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Not the strongest argument when Prime 3 likely didn't outsell XC2 on the Wii. That said, Prime 4 will likely outsell any Xenoblade game on Switch

That's not to say 2D Metroid can't do XC2 numbers, but there's really nothing indicating that it will right now.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't imagine a Zelda game only having a five month marketing cycle. They would've shown something in February if it was coming out this year. I figure Q1/Q2 2022.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Really happy for XC2's success. Such a great series. Here's hoping both the next Metroid and Xenoblade games outperform fan expectations.

Absolutely. Metroid is a top tier franchise, stuck in a low to mid-tier sales bracket. It deserves so much more.

I'm a big fan so I hope the series can find the success I've been so happy to see Xenoblade enjoy on Switch.

I hope both Prime 4 and whatever the next Xenoblade is can push 3m.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
This is becoming a new trend on Twitter. Say vague nothings and then claim credit if something happens. Ignore and move on when nothing happens.
Yeah, that's why I follow Grubb and you. And now that page is claiming Zelda news is coming soon... obviously, AoC DLC starts on the 28th with the payment going through on the 21st.

Glom

Feb 8, 2021
I think we are a time where long marketing plans can hurt you more than they help you.

I don't know if you're referring specifically to the pandemic, but we're not out of the woods yet as a globe (parts of Japan have gone back into state of emergency recently) and it is clear that during this time, Nintendo is being very careful about promising dates they're not sure they can meet.

On the one hand, this means BOTW2 isn't guaranteed for 2021. On the other hand, it doesn't rule it out either.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I don't know if you're referring specifically to the pandemic, but we're not out of the woods yet as a globe (parts of Japan have gone back into state of emergency recently) and it is clear that during this time, Nintendo is being very careful about promising dates they're not sure they can meet.

On the one hand, this means BOTW2 isn't guaranteed for 2021. On the other hand, it doesn't rule it out either.
I'm saying that games now don't need 8 to 12 months marketing cycle. Just a release date, some special edition and the game to be good.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, that's why I follow Grubb and you. And now that page is claiming Zelda news is coming soon... obviously, AoC DLC starts on the 28th with the payment going through on the 21st.
Pokemon accounts did the same earlier in the year. They would tweet "Pokemon news in 5-7 weeks" when Pokemon Day was about 6 weeks away. Then Pokemon Day happened and people thought the info was credible.

Guess what? Nintendo news in 5-6 weeks.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine a Zelda game only having a five month marketing cycle. They would've shown something in February if it was coming out this year. I figure Q1/Q2 2022.

We have seen much, much more of BotW2 as of now than we did of BotW before E3 2016. And that was 9 months before launch.

SirShorse

Jul 16, 2020
Pokemon accounts did the same earlier in the year. They would tweet "Pokemon news in 5-7 weeks" when Pokemon Day was about 6 weeks away. Then Pokemon Day happened and people thought the info was credible.

Guess what? Nintendo news in 5-6 weeks.
Speaking of Nintendo news in 5-6 weeks, are you planning to do your predictions just after Nintendo detail their plans (hopefully in the next week or two) or just before E3?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Pokemon always do something during that timeframe.
Exactly. This Twitter account is doing similar.

"Zelda news in May"... yeah, we know. It's been known for months.

"Monster Hunter Rise update in April"... yea, Capcom announced that and it leaked months prior.

"AC update in April"... everyone knew that.

Speaking of Nintendo news in 5-6 weeks, are you planning to do your predictions just after Nintendo detail their plans (hopefully in the next week or two) or just before E3?

E3 predictions will be closer to E3. We'll discuss the financial report on its own and evaluate the figures.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
They'll be massive Nintendo news in June.

expect an IP returning after a long hiatus.
zelda.
and a game with Mario.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. This Twitter account is doing similar.

"Zelda news in May"... yeah, we know. It's been known for months.

"Monster Hunter Rise update in April"... yea, Capcom announced that and it leaked months prior.

"AC update in April"... everyone knew that.

E3 predictions will be closer to E3. We'll discuss the financial report on its own and evaluate the figures.
umm... have we? I thought we assumed nothing til E3...

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
how are the castlevania games on GBA.

buying some VC games on Wii u and saw a few. Buying all the Megaman Battle network games and Advance war games.
Do you like Symphony of the Night? If so, then yes, they're fantastic. Aria of Sorrow in particular is up there as one of the best games in the series. Circle of the Moon and Harmony are a little more iffy, but I still found them fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.