Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I've raised this in the other thread, but considering next year will be the 35th anniversary of Zelda, what other announcements could happen besides BotW 2? Obviously not all of them, but some possibilities I raised:

-New 2D Zelda (EPD 3)
-WW/TP Deluxe Port (Grezzo)
-Minish Cap/Oracle Remake (Grezzo & Capcom)
-Zelda Mobile (EPD 3 + Dena)
-Zelda Maker (EPD 3)
-Hyrule Warriors Fighter (Koei Tecmo)

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I've raised this in the other thread, but considering next year will be the 35th anniversary of Zelda, what other announcements could happen besides BotW 2? Obviously not all of them, but some possibilities I raised:

-New 2D Zelda (EPD 3)
-Zelda Maker (EPD 3)

Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland 3

Tingle's Balloon Fight 2

Link's Crossbow Training HD

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Tingle will return and nobody can convince me otherwise!
You see, the twist is that Tingle is the starring character in zelda maker. He designs the dungeons. He has grown bored and thirsting to act out his mischievous desires. He traps Link in the World Between where he can shape things to his liking. You control Tingles hand (and mind) by designing labyrinths and gauntlets that Link must best and maybe Tingle will let him go home...

Coming 2022 to your Switch Pros.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
You see, the twist is that Tingle is the starring character in zelda maker. He designs the dungeons. He has grown bored and thirsting to act out his mischievous desires. He traps Link in the World Between where he can shape things to his liking. You control Tingles hand (and mind) by designing labyrinths and gauntlets that Link must best and maybe Tingle will let him go home...

Coming 2022 to your Switch Pros.

I'm in! Open the pre-orders already!

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
about as likely as a Zelda maker ;)

Yes, Zelda Maker is by far the least likely from those, especially after Mario Maker seemingly underperforming and the inherent difficulties of player developed Zelda dungeons. Only reason I brought it up is because I recently saw the Zelda 1 Mock-up used for BotW.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yes, Zelda Maker is by far the least likely from those, especially after Mario Maker seemingly underperforming and the inherent difficulties of player developed Zelda dungeons. Only reason I brought it up is because I recently saw the Zelda 1 Mock-up used for BotW.
while my stance continues to be that there will be never another "Maker" game outside of the Mario Maker releases (because it just makes no sense), I have to raise my eyebrow very high when I hear SMM2 "seemingly underperforming"???

mm2ryjrd.jpg

FY20 = April 2019-March 2020

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Botw2 will be on new engine? I dind't expected that but makes sense, LunchPack2 maybe? Since Botw1 was really quick port from Wi U i totally expect that Botw2 will be 1080p/30 or dynamic between 900-1080.
It's going to be pushing a lot more modern features I imagine. Don't expect 1080p, probably 900p again (BOTW was 900p on Switch because of memory bandwidth scaling iirc) for different reasons

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think people pay too much attention to engines without fully understanding what it may or may not entail to change it, tbh.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

-New 2D Zelda (EPD 3)
-Zelda Maker (EPD 3)
If they feel confident that they can deliver BotW 2 in 2020 I could see them giving BotW 2 the full spotlight and just adding some merch/special edition Switch/new concert, all these titles could be saved as "filler" for the years following BotW 2

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
while my stance continues to be that there will be never another "Maker" game outside of the Mario Maker releases (because it just makes no sense), I have to raise my eyebrow very high when I hear SMM2 "seemingly underperforming"???

mm2ryjrd.jpg

FY20 = April 2019-March 2020

This discussion has been had multiple times already in the forum and we will never have an definitive answer unless we hear directly from Nintendo.

However, this is not an ARMS situation where people expected a new fighting IP to sell Splatoon levels. Mario Maker 2 was coming from a very successful entry (for WiiU Levels), was heavily marketed by Nintendo and received some decent post-release support. It is still being outsold by NSMBUDX.

It's one of the few Switch sequels which, from my perspective, failed to take off in comparison to the WiiU Entry:

Mario Maker 1: 4.0
Mario Maker 2: 5.5

SM3DW: 5.8
Odyssey: 17.4

Smash 4: 5.4
Ultimate: 18.8

Splatoon: 5.0
Splatoon 2: 10.1

Mario Party 10: 2.3
Super Mario Party: 10.1

Non-Sequels:

NSMBU: 5.8
NSMBUDX: 6.6

MK8: 8.5
MK8 DX: 24.8

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

-New 2D Zelda (EPD 3)

-Zelda Maker (EPD 3)
-Hyrule Warriors Fighter (Koei Tecmo) ?

I think the most important consideration will be bringing Ocarina/MM to current gen standards (HD/4K). Not sure if that's something that will happen this gen or with the next hardware.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I think the most important consideration will be bringing Ocarina/MM to current gen standards (HD/4K). Not sure if that's something that will happen this gen or with the next hardware.

Yes, I considered both OoT/MM and SS in the list, but don't think SS would translate that well to Joy-Cons. I am betting on the 64 remakes to actually happen in the following gen - partially because the 3DS versions are still quite recent and partially because porting WW/TP would be far easier.

The Hyrule Warriors Fighters was a long shot, but I was raising the possibility of Nintendo exploring Zelda a as 3D fighter, using Hyrule Warriors as a base for the spin-off.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Origami King credits

Interesting that a fair amount of Shadows of Valentia staff are still unaccounted for, unless some are also still working on Heroes.

Taku Sugioka (director of the Pushmo series and co-director of several WarioWare titles) hasn't worked in any game since Strechtmo (2015). He was credited under special thanks in WarioWare: Gold (2018).

I wonder if he is still at Intelligent Systems.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'd never heard of him until now, but the game's art director, Isamu Kamikokuryo, is apparently a big deal. He's worked on several Final Fantasy games.

Not sure if he's an IS employee now or just freelance. We know that Taro Kudo has written the last few games, despite working at Vanpool.
Taku Sugioka (director of the Pushmo series and co-director of several WarioWare titles) hasn't worked in any game since Strechtmo (2015). He was credited under special thanks in WarioWare: Gold (2018).

I wonder if he is still at Intelligent Systems.
I see that another director for that series, Misuzu Yoshida, hasn't worked on anything since SoV.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
I'd never heard of him until now, but the game's art director, Isamu Kamikokuryo, is apparently a big deal. He's worked on several Final Fantasy games.

Not sure if he's an IS employee now or just freelance. We know that Taro Kudo has written the last few games, despite working at Vanpool.
Oh wow, that IS a big deal. Didn't expect a former SQEX employee, let alone one from Final Fantasy to work on a Paper Mario game lol.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017

Not sure if he's an IS employee now or just freelance.

He left Square Enix in 2017 to go freelance. He joined the Gungrave G.O.R.E art team last year alongside Benoit Ferrière:

The Gungrave G.O.R.E art team has added Isamu Kamikokuryo and Benoit Ferriere to its ranks, developer Iggymob announced.

Isamu Kamikokuryo joins the team as concept art leader. He was previously art director for Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIII, and Final Fantasy XV, as well as background art director for Final Fantasy X.

Benoit Ferriere joins the team as the new art director. He previously worked on AAA projects with companies such as Pixar, Disney, CD Projekt RED, Ubisoft, Square Enix, and more.

"We are expecting good synergy in visuals with the new, experienced artists and our current partner Digic Pictures," Iggymob business director Kay Kim said in a press release. "I believe that they are going to bring something amazing to the table, and we are going to try our best not to disappoint all the users who are looking forward to this game."
Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2019/10/gungrave-gore-art-team-adds-isamu-kamikokuryo-benoit-ferriere

Benoit Ferrière (CEO of Tokkun Studio) was the Lead Visual Artist on Paper Mario: Origami King.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to imagine it's happening at some point. Perhaps the upcoming Mario releases will provide some insight into what they plan to do with N64/GC era games. Certainly with the Wii U well drying up, I'm sure the next step would be focus more heavily on mining some of their older 3D consoles for remasters/remakes.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like (link) HAL Laboratory's main Tokyo office has also relocated to the new Nintendo Tokyo Building.

* Nintendo EPD Tokyo
* Nintendo PTD Tokyo
* 1-Up
* Game Freak
* HAL Labs (Tokyo)

All in the same building.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Looks like (link) HAL Laboratory's main Tokyo office has also relocated to the new Nintendo Tokyo Building.

* Nintendo EPD Tokyo
* Nintendo PTD Tokyo
* 1-Up
* Game Freak
* HAL Labs (Tokyo)

Good to hear for HAL.
I don't remember, did IS went into their own building at some point? (as in left the Nintendo one)

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Good to hear for HAL.
I don't remember, did IS went into their own building at some point? (as in left the Nintendo one)

Intelligent Systems moved to a separate building in 2013. The new building is located near the Nintendo Development Center:

I6UjI3x.jpg

Red: Nintendo Development Center
Blue: Nintendo Central Office
Green: Intelligent Systems

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Origami King credits

Interesting that a fair amount of Shadows of Valentia staff are still unaccounted for, unless some are also still working on Heroes.
Crossing the lack of SoV employees in the credits and the reports from Imran Khan stating some 3DS titles including one FE title were either moved to the Switch or deleted I think it's likely we'll get that Genealogy remake at some point in the Switch lifecycle (or possibly a remake of something else but most fans seem to agree that Genealogy is due).

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Intelligent Systems moved to a separate building in 2013. The new building is located near the Nintendo Development Center:

I6UjI3x.jpg

Where's the third Nintendo building? Where NIntendo SPD/IS and Mario Club used to be. Now it's just Mario Club since they've expanded greatly.

Oct 26, 2017

* Nintendo EPD Tokyo
* Nintendo PTD Tokyo
* 1-Up
* Game Freak
* HAL Labs (Tokyo)

Where was Game Freak before? It's bizarre that they're allowed to make games on PS4 and XBO (Little Town Hero being a very recent example) while being in Nintendo's actual building. If you're not going to be Nintendo-owned, then at least stay exclusive like HAL and IntSys.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Where was Game Freak before? It's bizarre that they're allowed to make games on PS4 and XBO (Little Town Hero being a very recent example) while being in Nintendo's actual building. If you're not going to be Nintendo-owned, then at least stay exclusive like HAL and IntSys.

I'm more surprised at the fact that Gamefreak as a company hasn't been acquired by Nintendo.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm more surprised at the fact that Gamefreak as a company hasn't been acquired by Nintendo.
It's obvious they just plain don't want to be, despite Nintendo being legit integral to their company's survival. That's not hyperbole, it's legit fact. Game Freak might not even exist if Pokemon hadn't been picked up by Nintendo. Doesn't help that Ishihara of TPC apparently was very skeptical of the Switch (you can see that with their heavy mobile push from 2015-2019?). Just feels like they almost wish Nintendo wasn't in the picture and they could have Pokemon all to themselves. Which is weird as didn't Nintendo form TPC? Legit feels like a "I created a monster" scenario.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious they just plain don't want to be, despite Nintendo being legit integral to their company's survival. That's not hyperbole, it's legit fact. Game Freak might not even exist if Pokemon hadn't been picked up by Nintendo. Doesn't help that Ishihara of TPC apparently was very skeptical of the Switch (you can see that with their heavy mobile push from 2015-2019?). Just feels like they almost wish Nintendo wasn't in the picture and they could have Pokemon all to themselves. Which is weird as didn't Nintendo form TPC? Legit feels like a "I created a monster" scenario.
The same companies that were pushing out mobile titles for TPC are still doing the same. I think the "skeptical about Switch" thing has become overblown to the point where we had people saying that Game Freak was somehow going to take Pokemon off Nintendo HW for mobile.

Oct 26, 2017
The same companies that were pushing out mobile titles for TPC are still doing the same. I think the "skeptical about Switch" thing has become overblown to the point where we had people saying that Game Freak was somehow going to take Pokemon off Nintendo HW for mobile.
That's what I heard, that supposed insiders saying that GF/TPC pushed Nintendo to let them bring mainline Pokemon games to mobile. I believe it. :/
Nintendo has traditionally expressed more interest in ownership (co-ownership) of IPs over owning developers outright.
Do you know what's actually going on with The Wonderful 101's ownership? Trademark searches still show Nintendo owning the trademark. My theory is that the remaster project is merely a one-time thing where Platinum are only borrowing it and after the project is complete, it will be back in Nintendo's hands. I hope so anyway. This whole thing's been a mess honestly, I'd think most agree. :/ Platinum should've taken Nintendo's offer of working with them on a Switch-exclusive remaster (duh).

It'd explain why Platinum refuse to answer what the hell is going on, and the copyright only being in reference to the remaster itself? It's telling that there's no "The Wonderful 101 is a trademark owned by Platinum Games" or anything. Just a vague copyright notice.

Oct 26, 2017
That's what I heard, that supposed insiders saying that GF/TPC pushed Nintendo to let them bring mainline Pokemon games to mobile. I believe it. :/

Do you know what's actually going on with The Wonderful 101's ownership? Trademark searches still show Nintendo owning the trademark. My theory is that the remaster project is merely a one-time thing where Platinum are only borrowing it and after the project is complete, it will be back in Nintendo's hands. I hope so anyway. This whole thing's been a mess honestly, I'd think most agree. :/ Platinum should've taken Nintendo's offer of working with them on a Switch-exclusive remaster (duh).

It'd explain why Platinum refuse to answer what the hell is going on, and the copyright only being in reference to the remaster itself? It's telling that there's no "The Wonderful 101 is a trademark owned by Platinum Games" or anything. Just a vague copyright notice.

Does it matter who owns the IP? It's a dead IP.

Oct 26, 2017
Does it matter who owns the IP? It's a dead IP.
Nintendo owning it would've ensured a better port for one on Switch. Plus frankly I actually think it's even less likely to get a sequel if Platinum owns it. Who would fund it? Not the fans after that poorly done (to say the least) kickstarter. Nintendo may have been up for it, you never know. And I feel this is now less likely if Nintendo no longer has the partial rights to the IP.

Yes it's dead, but with Nintendo it had a tiny bit of life in it still to me.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
W101 would have bombed again anyway, Nintendo published or not. Platinum self-publishing the remaster let PS4 and PC owners enjoy the game, too, so it was a good move.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Because unlike what the internet wants to believe, the Gear Project games are done by extremely small teams with a lot of the work being outsourced.

I don't think Nintendo has much of an issue with the arrangement. They still co-own the IP and the main series isn't leaving their systems.

Also, HAL at least started to make mobile games with that UFO thing. Not sure if they'll continue.

Oct 26, 2017
Because unlike what the internet wants to believe, the Gear Project games are done by extremely small teams with a lot of the work being outsourced.

I don't think Nintendo has much of an issue with the arrangement. They still co-own the IP and the main series isn't leaving their systems.
Counterpoint; why can't these people and the outsourced devs work on Pokemon games to add more people to make the games better?

Granted Sword and Shield apparently had a lot of people via outsourcing, but something still needs to be added to get it to the standards expected of the main games in 2020. Because Sword and Shield sadly weren't it.

A lot of this could be fixed if Nintendo could be able to lend staff from Monolith Kyoto or some of their tech experts. Maybe let Game Freak use an in-house engine. Hell I'd wager even the Bezel Engine would yield better results than... whatever Game Freak used.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of this could be fixed if Nintendo could be able to lend staff from Monolith Kyoto or some of their tech experts. Maybe let Game Freak use an in-house engine. Hell I'd wager even the Bezel Engine would yield better results than... whatever Game Freak used.
Apparently Let's Go used the same file format of Splatoon 2, so maybe they already lent them their in-house engine.
Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee have a brand new engine.... well is it brand new? It's really a Frankenstein engine. It features code from the Nintendo SDK (used for BotW and Mario Kart 8), it features file formats from Lunchpack (Splatoon 2's engine) and it features Game Freak's own additions, along with Game Freak's new model format, gfbmdl, or Game Freak Binary Model. It actually doesn't share much with the previous gfmodel incarnation, believe it or not.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Counterpoint; why can't these people and the outsourced devs work on Pokemon games to add more people to make the games better?

Granted Sword and Shield apparently had a lot of people via outsourcing, but something still needs to be added to get it to the standards expected of the main games in 2020. Because Sword and Shield sadly weren't it.

I mean, I'm being relative here. Even factoring in the outsourcing (minus the localization), these teams are still pretty small. Little Town Hero has maybe around 50 people credited and that's including the audio/voice work and producers.

With the amount of outsourcing companies credited in SwSh, I really don't think adding the devs exclusive to LTH would have made much of a difference.

Last edited:

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
YiaoYZ5.png

Yellow: Nintendo Kyoto Research Institute (Mario Club)

The old pictures made the HQ and Kyoto Research Institute seem so close. Additionally Nintendo also has two
more buildings in Kyoto but they are strictly manufacturing plants.