Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom is killing it with MHW, RE2 and DMC5 is going to be big too. They don't need Nintendo anymore, but they'll still port their old stuff to it and some smaller franchises like AA.

Capcom is that ex that looks amazing ever since you broke up.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
First rule for a Switch owner: think Capcom as a dead company, expect nothing from that lol

Seriously, they don't care so why should you?

Capcom is killing it with MHW, RE2 and DMC5 is going to be big too. They don't need Nintendo anymore, but they'll still port their old stuff to it and some smaller franchises like AA.

I still have to understand why Capcom couldn't be successful and supporting all systems at the same time.

The Monster Hunter Stories team is making Daemon x Machina.

I didn't know Marvelous developed Monster Hunter Stories.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about Mario Maker. It already got a port on 3DS.

The next WiiU ports are probably 3D World or/and a Zelda compilation. Pikmin and Paper Mario are other potential candidates.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

They never really needed Nintendo, not even during the last decade. Sure MonHun was with em since 3, but Sony's platform wasn't strong enough till like 2015 for them to switch sides for the franchise again.
Stories was a bit of a disappointment for Capcom. the fact they didn't port the game to teh Switch in addition to mobile tells me they don't have faith in it going forward
Fair enough, but I was thinking along the lines of them waiting to port it close to release. Ah well.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In my eyes she looks as boring as always. I'm more into Platinum Games now. And if they bring Ace Attourney and some MH game in the future that's all i want from them.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Marvelous did. My bad. Edited the post.

Not the same team though, at least the producers and the lead is different.

The producer(Kenichiro Tsukuda) was "line producer" on MHS and it was mentioned during E3 interviews that a lot of the team worked on MHS. I can't remember if they mentioned that working with Nintendo came about because Nintendo brought MHS west.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
As of now for Nintendo published games.

Yoshi's Crafted World
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Daemon X Machina
Pokémon gen 8
2D Zelda
Star Fox GP
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Bayonetta 3 or Kamiya's new IP
A couple eShop games
1 or 2 Wii U ports (besides NSMBU Deluxe)

Bonus-
SNES Online Classic
N64 Mini in some fashion for me

DQ Builders 2 will also be published by Nintendo in the west.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
The producer(Kenichiro Tsukuda) was "line producer" on MHS and it was mentioned during E3 interviews that a lot of the team worked on MHS. I can't remember if they mentioned that working with Nintendo came about because Nintendo brought MHS west.
New knowledge to me. Amazing. Thanks for the insight.

I loved MHS now I am even more interested in DxM :D

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Maybe Nintendo could do something interesting with the Fossil Fighters IP for a change and turn it into a MH (or MHS) clone.

I'm not holding my breath

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo can keep the Paper Mario Color Splash port with that trash battle system. All those cards were on the Gamepad. Now there is none.

Just remaster TTYD

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I still have to understand why Capcom couldn't be successful and supporting all systems at the same time.
Because people tend to humanize corporations, hence the ex metaphor. There's a sense that the either/or dynamic between Switch and everything else among enthusiast circles must extend to corporate planning as well. Barring any bad blood between Nintendo and Capcom, the only question that matters is this;

"We're making a lot of money supporting PC/PS/XB, could we make even more money by also supporting Switch?"

If the answer is 'Yes' and the logistics work out, then the Switch will get more than small games and remasters from Capcom.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Capcom will come back big on Switch with my most anticipated sequel they could ever make - Demon's Crest 2!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
In hindsight, that supposedly sounds a lot like MPT moved from the 100% happening vibe it got in late November leading up to TGA to a more, well its been rumored to come this year but things got pretty quiet now. I definitely now think this started in December and was solidified by early January that Retro is taking over. Which makes me even more certain that the development update taking a couple of weeks for them to release is definitely a signal that a direct is coming next week. It just feels right, like they wanted to be 100% that the message for MP4 is the one we got, before releasing any other news.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
In hindsight, that supposedly sounds a lot like MPT moved from the 100% happening vibe it got in late November leading up to TGA to a more, well its been rumored to come this year but things got pretty quiet now. I definitely now think this started in December and was solidified by early January that Retro is taking over. Which makes me even more certain that the development update taking a couple of weeks for them to release is definitely a signal that a direct is coming next week. It just feels right, like they wanted to be 100% that the message for MP4 is the one we got, before releasing any other news.
Yeah, Directs are planned way ahead but I believe it's possible they delayed this one in order to deliver the bad news before.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
My initial thought was we'd get a direct sometime next week (or early Feb) before the investor meeting and to distract fans let down by the MP4 news but now people are predicting it'll be in march? wouldn't it be weird for them to stay silent that long? fans are going to lose it lol

then again, we can't predict nintendo.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
My initial thought was we'd get a direct sometime next week (or early Feb) before the investor meeting and to distract fans let down by the MP4 news but now people are predicting it'll be in march? wouldn't it be weird for them to stay silent that long? fans are going to lose it lol

then again, we can't predict nintendo.

A lot of fans already have lost it with the MP4 conspiracy theories/direct related fan fiction and so on.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Investors aren't going to be too pleased if Nintendo goes into its investors meeting with a substantially-delayed Metroid Prime 4, a relative lack of confidence in reaching its hardware targets, and no concrete information or dates for its major 2019 software like Animal Crossing and Pokemon 2019. That's why I think the Direct will be this Tuesday. Nintendo's got to wash away some of the bad news somehow, and some information on major software for 2019 will do just that.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Third party will be more of the same. By that I mean do expect ports of older titles. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the amount of 'new' third parties (that aren't family / JP games) won't be that different from last year.
Certainly a few big surprises this year though.

Not much happy to hear this honestly. But if we will get a lot of JP games it's still good.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Investors aren't going to be too pleased if Nintendo goes into its investors meeting with a substantially-delayed Metroid Prime 4, a relative lack of confidence in reaching its hardware targets, and no concrete information or dates for its major 2019 software like Animal Crossing and Pokemon 2019. That's why I think the Direct will be this Tuesday. Nintendo's got to wash away some of the bad news somehow, and some information on major software for 2019 will do just that.

Except nothing said hints that they 'lack confidence'. They said for the get go reaching 20 million ship was a challenged but durable. That and it was #1 in the US, Japan, France, and most likely #1 worldwide.

And Metroid isn't even that big of a deal since Japan doesn't care about that series, especially when you have Smash selling gangbusters, the evergreens still selling, along with NSMSU selling better than the Wii U version everywhere.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Third party will be more of the same. By that I mean do expect ports of older titles. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the amount of 'new' third parties (that aren't family / JP games) won't be that different from last year.
Certainly a few big surprises this year though.
Should we expect this few surprises to be from the same companies and developers that have been supporting Switch in the last 2 years (Bethesda, Ubisoft, etc) or could it be something from unexpected companies?

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
(I liked Color Splash.)
That's because you are a good person with a kind heart.

Should we expect this few surprises to be from the same companies and developers that have been supporting Switch in the last 2 years (Bethesda, Ubisoft, etc) or could it be something from unexpected companies?
I'll go with Square Enix. There was some random BS twitter profile that predicted the FF ports last summer and then deleted the entire account after E3. They said that Square already has on the pipeline some new rpg for Switch and Bravely ports or new game on that series.

I still want to believe that :D

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Except nothing said hints that they 'lack confidence'. They said for the get go reaching 20 million ship was a challenged but durable.

That's not the way guidance works. If they fail to meet their guidance, it means they predicted wrong and did not meet the sales they told investors to expect. It's not like they get to go "well, 20 million was really a stretch goal, we were really thinking we'd sell 19 million but we just wanted to challenge ourselves, 19 million is still a lot guys!!1"

20 million was the guidance. You don't want to miss your guidance, or revise it downwards, because it shows you weren't able to correctly predict the future of your business. This is why companies usually err a little on the conservative side and put out a number they think they'll hit, not a stretch goal to challenge themselves.

Missing or negatively revising guidance would absolutely be bad news. Apple had to revise their guidance downward and it was a major story. It doesn't matter that their guidance was still really high and they were predicting the second-best quarter in their history. It doesn't matter that every other smartphone company also revised their guidance downward at the same time for the same reason (China). It was still bad because it showed that Apple failed to predict key aspects of their business, which spooks investors.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That's not the way guidance works. If they fail to meet their guidance, it means they predicted wrong and did not meet what they told investors to expect. It's not like they get to go "well, 20 million was really a stretch goal, we were really thinking we'd sell 19 million but we just wanted to challenge ourselves, 19 million is still a lot guys!!1"

20 million was the guidance. You don't want to miss your guidance, because it shows you weren't able to correctly predict the future of your business. This is why companies usually err a little on the conservative side and put out a number they think they'll hit, not a stretch goal to challenge themselves.

Missing guidance would absolutely be bad news.

Except again, nothing said so far that didn't meet guidance. And it wasn't even a 'prediction' so much as a challenged as Nintendo themselves stated from the start. In this case, Nintendo did do a stretch goal instead of being conservative.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Except again, nothing said so far that didn't meet guidance. And it wasn't even a 'prediction' so much as a challenged as Nintendo themselves stated from the start. In this case, Nintendo did do a stretch goal instead of being conservative.
As a publicly owned company you don't set stretch goals and challenges.

That's not how it works. You are not even allowed to do so. You have to be as accurate and truthful as possible.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Jesus Christ. Don't ever get in to investing money.

Deliberately predicting in your financial reports that you're going to do better than you internally plan to/think is actually reasonable is how you end up with your company in serious trouble.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
As a publicly owned company you don't set stretch goals and challenges.

That's not how it works. You are not even allowed to do so. You have to be as accurate and truthful as possible.

Regardless if that is what you're not supposed to do, they more or less did and they remained sure that they could reached it. So they didn't lie since if they didn't feel that they couldn't reached it all or it was too pie in the sky, they would have lowered it.

Jesus Christ. Don't ever get in to investing money.

Deliberately predicting in your financial reports that you're going to do better than you internally plan to/think is actually reasonable is how you end up with your company in serious trouble.

Read the above. I never said Nintendo didn't think they couldn't reached the number. If they thought it was closed to impossible, they wouldn't have made it all or would have lower it. And missing your target by 1% isn't serious trouble. Investors wouldn't be happy, but 'serious trouble' is stretching it.

Last edited:

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Except again, nothing said so far that didn't meet guidance. And it wasn't even a 'prediction' so much as a challenged as Nintendo themselves stated from the start.

Forward-looking statements are always a prediction. They pretty much legally have to be; otherwise you're opening yourself up to shareholder lawsuits. You can't make statements about your company's future performance in bad faith.

They may have described it as a "challenge" to themselves, because it's a large impressive number, but they wouldn't have given that number if they didn't think they would hit it.

In this case, Nintendo did do a stretch goal instead of being conservative.

If that's true, that's fundamentally unwise.

I don't think that's true, though. Nintendo knows you don't get to make a guidance that is a "stretch goal" that you don't actually believe you'll hit.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why are we talking financials in a first party thread? The stuffy technicalities of financial forecasts and investors are the game of Nintendo discussions, I swear.

What about Town? When's that releasing in your opinion?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Because people tend to humanize corporations, hence the ex metaphor. There's a sense that the either/or dynamic between Switch and everything else among enthusiast circles must extend to corporate planning as well. Barring any bad blood between Nintendo and Capcom, the only question that matters is this;

"We're making a lot of money supporting PC/PS/XB, could we make even more money by also supporting Switch?"

If the answer is 'Yes' and the logistics work out, then the Switch will get more than small games and remasters from Capcom.

For me is none of that and much simpler: Capcom used to do MUCH more than this on previous Nintendo systems. They made exclusive games, Resident Evil spin-offs specifically designed for Nintendo consoles, so no matter how you want to spin it, their support so far is disappointing, that's a fact for me: i'm not against ports but cool new projects are for obvious reasons always far more exciting.

We have a rough general idea on what happened: Capcom started this Switch gen with the idea of essentially ignoring the platform, after what happened with Wii U, the fact that they didn't even want to spend money on making physical editions of their remasters on Switch is quite telling.

Then they realized Switch is not a Wii U 2 but at that point they had to decide whether to rush quick but very old ports in order to release something or take their time on making new games that would have been out from 2019. My understanding is that they decided to do basically only ports and maybe other cloud ports, which aren't well received so far, even in Japan.

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Forward-looking statements are always a prediction. They pretty much legally have to be; otherwise you're opening yourself up to shareholder lawsuits. You can't make statements about your company's future performance in bad faith.

They may have described it as a "challenge" to themselves, because it's a large impressive number, but they wouldn't have given that number if they didn't think they would hit it.

If that's true, that's fundamentally unwise.

But it wasn't 'bad faith'. They made a very high prediction that was a bit of a gamble, but it was never an impossible goal. And I never once said, Nintendo wasn't sure they could make it since if there were doubts that they couldn't, they would have lowered it. It maybe 'fundamentally unwise' and people said they should have gone with a lower number like 18 million, but they thought they could do 20 million.

Even then, most analysts, including the ones on this forum, more or less agree that Nintendo missing their target by 1% isn't a big deal. Yeah, their investors would want to know why they didn't get that last 1%, but it isn't like someone will lose their heads.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Why are we talking financials in a first party thread? The stuffy technicalities of financial forecasts and investors are the game of Nintendo discussions, I swear.

Nintendo's earnings call is next week. We're trying to read the tea leaves as to what kind of news they might be announcing before or as part of their statements, so it helps to know if the earnings call is likely to contain good news, or negative news that Nintendo might want to counteract.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So, I want to know what you guys think about the remaining possible Wii U ports. For each of these, do you think we will get a port, sequel or nothing at all?
  • Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival
  • Devil's Third
  • Dr. Luigi
  • Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
  • Game & Wario
  • Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  • Mario & Sonic at the _____ 20XX Olympic Games
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Tipping Stars
  • Mini Mario & Friends: Amiibo Challenge
  • NES Remix Pack