• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of games on sale right now. My list consists of:
Risk of Rain 2
Dodgeball Academia
Into the Breach
Inside
Wide Ocean Big Jacket
Roundguard
Blackbird

I have no idea when I'll find the time to play all those, though. Which should I prioritize?

INTO THE BREACH
INTO THE BREACH
INTO THE BREACH

Sorry I'll write more:
Do you like Chess? Into the breach is like that and very fun. I think it's a Top 3 turn based game of all time. The game mechanics are... Kinda perfect? It's great if you enjoy any kind of turn based RPG, Strategy, board game.

Do you like Mario Rpg/Paper Mario? Dodgeball Academia is like that style of combat. Pretty fun!

Did you like Limbo? Inside is more of that, only somehow, creepier. It's also a really breezy game, you'll be done in no time , and you can play something else.

Last edited:

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
There are a lot of games on sale right now. My list consists of:
Risk of Rain 2
Dodgeball Academia
Into the Breach
Inside
Wide Ocean Big Jacket
Roundguard
Blackbird

I have no idea when I'll find the time to play all those, though. Which should I prioritize?
Do you like rogue likes? If so risk of rain 2 is a fantastic 3d take on the original (which is one of my favorite games ever made if you haven't played it yet!)

inside is a really cool story you'll play through once. I loved it, but depending on what you are in the mood for that's a shorter one and done experience. But oooo what a ride.

Into the breach is a fantastic strategy rogue like. A great turn based game if that's up your alley.

dodgeball academia is ok but will have bigger drops in price in the future as it's still pretty new. I liked it well enough, but unless you have a hankering for that kind of game I'd say wait. Fun game though! Just will get a better sale price in the future.

I love blackbird. So much. But it is WEIRD. So while I love it, I don't always reccomend it because it is pretty bonkers. But in a way I LOVE.

great list to pick from there! Can't really go wrong. I haven't played the others but since you had some games that I really loved I'm going to check them out myself now!

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
You guys are getting me curious about Shadowverse.

I have really low tolerance for anime, but I love card games, MtG, Pokémon TCG on Game boy and the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games.

Fer

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I played a bit a few years ago, it was Hearthstone + anime basically.
It's not bad, but I already play Hearthstone.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
You guys are getting me curious about Shadowverse.

I have really low tolerance for anime, but I love card games, MtG, Pokémon TCG on Game boy and the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games.

Yeah play the demo on eShop for a couple battles, you'll know right away from the intro if you'll like it. And save data carries to full game

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
huh those hard puzzles must be... hard, because I've actually gotten stumped twice now in just the normal puzzles.

Granted it doesn't help that I'm not too familiar with Shadowcraft yet, and the rules around getting shadow points, but still, some outside the box thinking going on here, so I imagine the hard ones get nutty.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I come in this thread to find all of a sudden yall are really selling me on this Anime MtG card game

I played a little bit of the demo and wow this is polished, sharp graphics, union voice actors and all. And this is exclusive to Switch? Sells me even more on it as I like grabbing all the good exclusives

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
here, have some more Shadowverse teasing. Game has 7 classes / colors / whatever you want to call it from your TCG lingo, to give you an idea of what to expect if you are used to card games:

Swordcraft - Lots of small minions, lots of buffing minions, with Officer minions and Commander minions interacting with each other (usually commander cards buff officers, and officer cards do shit if theres commanders in play, etc).

Dragoncraft - You have a overflow gimmick where you can get more mana faster (usualy represented by "empty" mana which you can only use next turn) and when you do, you go into overflow affecting various cards. Also, as expected, lots of dragons. And dragons hurt.

Shadowcraft - The necromancy deck, you acumulate shadowpoints from your minions dying (and playing some cards? im not exactly sure yet), use those shadowpoints to buff cards with necromancy (say a card does 1 dmg, but has a necromancy cost of 2 shadowpoints to do 3 dmg instead, so you either cast it for 1dmg, or if you have shadow points, you do 3 dmg). Also has another gimmick where a lot of it's cards summon creatures when they die (last words), usually zombies or skeletons.

Havencraft - Revolves around playing cards with delayed effects, you play an amulet than say, in 3 turns, spawns a 6/6 creature. Why is that different from just casting a creature? because these amulets usually cost a lot less than what a similar creature would cost (for example this amulet only costs 3), so you put a bunch of amulets in play early on, try to wether the initial enemy storm, then all of a sudden you have a big ass army spawning. You have cards to speed up the amulet process aswell (and even cards that outright destroy the amulet, thus triggering the effect). My favorite deck so far.

Bloodcraft - The vampire deck, your special trait Vengeance activates when you have 10 or less health, making various cards have stronger or different effects. Alot of minions and cards steal health. Basically a balance of being low on health for the stronger effects and thenget your health back via healing stuff. Very interesting actually, haven't started dabbling in it.

Forrestcraft - The typical "weenie" deck. Lotd of 1/1 creatures. Lots of summoning, lots of flooding the board with small critters. Typical "green" deck stuff.

Runecraft - The magic deck. Lots of spells. Spellboost mechanic that makes cards stronger each time you cast a spell.That's all I gather from it, I haven't touched it yet lol >_>

there's more to it than that of course, for example, the havencraft deck also has a alot of healing bullshit and in fact, some of the puzzle trials for it don't involve the amulets at all, just the healing stuff. This is just to get a general idea for people used to other card games.

edit: oh shit, it has expansions included? Just got to chapter 5 and opened up a new expansion of boosters to buy. I legit assumed it was just the base set since you get the cards so easily and can freely make whatever decks you want. Daaaaaaaamn son.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
Would appreciate some recommendations;

I got $50 in eshop credit..well, 45 now. I bought some $1-$2 games on sales such as Oxenfree, Figment and Sine Morta EX. Played a bit of each and the are charming, but mostly got them since they were like 90% off. But I'll def finish them.

Anyway, my main go to style of game on the swirch is side scrolling platformers or something like hades. I've played the heck out of Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Crash games, yokalaylee 2. The usual suspects.

I was gonna get dead cells but will wait for a sale on that.

Curious if y'all recommend shovel knight treasure trove? I don't mind old school graphics but mainly curious about controls. I really like snappy tight controls on my platformers. Like, I played ghost n goblins and I hate the floaty controls and it's just so absurdly hard and I've finished all of Cuphead, Celeste hardest levels and most holllow knight dlc..just something about ghost and goblins controls that irked me. . Where does shovel knight fall into? Treasure trove seems to have tons of content and is on sale. Would appreciate some feedback or other recommendations.

Apr 24, 2018
Yeah, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! It's definitely one of my favorite indie titles of all time.
Nice - that's high praise! Grabbed it last night and played a couple of stages; a bit slower paced than the Sonic games, not that that's a bad thing, but it definitely scratches that same itch!

Same here ordered a physical copy of Shadowverse too. Was looking it up on here and saw it was compared to the Pokémon TCG game on game boy and that also pushed me to buy it.
Nice - here's hoping that we both enjoy it! I passively played a little bit of the Final Fantasy Trading Card Game (physical card game) in recent years because a close friend was super into (and super good) at it! Before that, the Pokemon TCG had been the last and only other TCG that I had ever played like 20 years earlier, haha.

Yeah it's pretty good! I would say if you've already spent money on Sonic Mania and would like more games like that - then go for it!
Yeah - already grabbed it and the Sonic Mania comparison seems quite apt - thanks!

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Would appreciate some recommendations;

I got $50 in eshop credit..well, 45 now. I bought some $1-$2 games on sales such as Oxenfree, Figment and Sine Morta EX. Played a bit of each and the are charming, but mostly got them since they were like 90% off. But I'll def finish them.

Anyway, my main go to style of game on the swirch is side scrolling platformers or something like hades. I've played the heck out of Cuphead, Hollow Knight, Celeste, Crash games, yokalaylee 2. The usual suspects.

I was gonna get dead cells but will wait for a sale on that.

Curious if y'all recommend shovel knight treasure trove? I don't mind old school graphics but mainly curious about controls. I really like snappy tight controls on my platformers. Like, I played ghost n goblins and I hate the floaty controls and it's just so absurdly hard and I've finished all of Cuphead, Celeste hardest levels and most holllow knight dlc..just something about ghost and goblins controls that irked me. . Where does shovel knight fall into? Treasure trove seems to have tons of content and is on sale. Would appreciate some feedback or other recommendations.

Hell yeah. Treasure trove is a no brainer! It handles alot like classic Mega Man, so yeah tight controls! I love it, yeah it's up there Cuphead and hollow knight as my favorite 2d platformers

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the demo and really enjoying it, I want to jump on the Shadowverse bandwagon. Thank you everyone who has been recommending this game! I grew up playing and loving Magic the Gathering and while this obviously isn't exactly the same it's perfect for scratching that TCG itch I've been having. I definitely see myself putting tons of hours into this since I can play it portably on the Switch.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
The shadowverse praise also got me to jump in on the recent deal. I'm hoping it'll work well as a breather between my other games as a pick up and play.

GagazetSK

Feb 18, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
The shadowverse praise also got me to jump in on the recent deal. I'm hoping it'll work well as a breather between my other games as a pick up and play.
Honestly this is how I've been playing it. I bought it in September (feels like longer ago than that) and my Switch says 70hrs or more played. Normally that's a couple weeks of playtime for me, not a couple months. The rules are straightforward enough for most decks that stopping and starting again isn't too difficult between other games.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly this is how I've been playing it. I bought it in September (feels like longer ago than that) and my Switch says 70hrs or more played. Normally that's a couple weeks of playtime for me, not a couple months. The rules are straightforward enough for most decks that stopping and starting again isn't too difficult between other games.
Yeah, I like a game I can pick up and play on the fly because it's a lot more easy to get into the mood from the start without worrying about burnout or plot progression, and it looks like this hits all the right buttons.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I played a bit of the Shadowverse demo and it's not bad. The production values are surprisingly high but the animation looks slightly janky in places. It reminds me of Yu Gi Oh in terms of mechanics (getting rid of the cards and attacking the person directly). Granted, I only played the first two tutorial matches before I got sleepy.

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of card combat stuff unless it's easy to understand--I played through SteamWorld Quest with a guide because I didn't want to think hard. But this looks like the kind of game where it's friendly to any kind of deck without needing a guide. I'll put some more time into the demo but I like how positive everyone is at least. It reminds me of Yakuza: Like A Dragon in that regard. I like it so far. Heck, Slay The Spire is mighty tempting too even I would prefer physical but digital is more convenient.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
But this looks like the kind of game where it's friendly to any kind of deck without needing a guide..

Its not and if you needed a guide for Steamworld Quest of all things this is not for you. This gets hars very quickly and you will need to learn the mechanics of each deck and tinker a lot with your decks / make specific decks to counter stuff. Its much more akin to Hearthstone (or MTG of course).

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Its not and if you needed a guide for Steamworld Quest of all things this is not for you. This gets hars very quickly and you will need to learn the mechanics of each deck and tinker a lot with your decks / make specific decks to counter stuff. Its much more akin to Hearthstone (or MTG of course).
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it even though I used a guide. I think I'm one of those people who hates missing stuff hence using a guide. I think my patience with games isn't what it used to be when I was younger. I haven't played either game but I can see what you're getting at. It sounds like I might not like Dice Dungeons either which I bought. I remember having a low patience for Key Forge when I played it at a con two years ago.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't remember the last time North America's download PR was shorter than the legal boilerplate at the end, but such is the week.

Activities:
Earn DOUBLE My Nintendo Gold Points – For a limited time, you can earn double My Nintendo Gold Points when you purchase select digital games. That means you can earn up to 10% in Gold Points* – which you can then use toward your next eligible digital game or DLC. The offer ends Jan. 5, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. PT. Get started at: https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/#double-gp.

Nintendo eShop sales:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Also new this week in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch:

Deathsmiles I・II
Hollow 2
Pawn of the Dead

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Another thousand of games on sale in EU.

And still no discount for BattleChef Brigade. eh

(lot of good stuff on sale though, might grab a few like Red Faction for 2€)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Will get Deathsmiles once it goes on sale, especially the DLC that's as almost the same cost as the game.

One of these days, I may give in & get that Flip Grip for all these shmups hitting the system.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Glad i waited on pulling the trigger for a few games on the last day of the current sale. Great Ace Attorney is looking very tempting at that price.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
good sale but most of the stuff I would want is only 25% off and I just bought a ton of shit in the xmas sale so im good for now. Can't pass on Red Faction for 1.99€ tho.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 1 and 2 are on sale. I hear they are awesome but it's pretty weird paying €5 and €7 bucks for one game when I payed 5 bucks for the whole Castlevania Anniversary Collection lol

PUNQ

Apr 18, 2018
Norway
There's now over 3700 games with a discount. So if I sort it by price on the eShop, low to high or opposite, I can only scroll a thousand titles either way. Which means there are 1700 titles in the middle I can not sort by price. Yeah, no need to fix the eShop. It's perfect as it is. LOL

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
How's Disco Elysium these days on Switch? Did they ever released a patch after launch? It's on sale right now
Its... Fine? I bought it on release date. I just straight up didn't like the game itself, but the performance, I didn't notice any issues?

So yeah, my reply was completely unhelpful! 😭 😆

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
There's now over 3700 games with a discount. So if I sort it by price on the eShop, low to high or opposite, I can only scroll a thousand titles either way. Which means there are 1700 titles in the middle I can not sort by price. Yeah, no need to fix the eShop. It's perfect as it is. LOL
Dekudeals.com is your eShop my friend!

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
oh no... This is a pretty good sale

im-in-danger-ralph.gif

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm trying to fight myself from buying any more games that I won't get around to on sale on my wishlist. I use digital games as a palette cleanser between my physical games.

I enjoyed the What The Golf demo since I found it quite fun and absurd in the right ways. The low point is that The Touryst is usually 50% off when it's 30% off in this sale which is a big no for me. And then who knows what surprises lie in store for next year?

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
Still wondering whether to get the Witcher 3 for my oled. I know it's a technical marvel and it's only £10 (if I buy from Russia) but I'm wondering if the 30fps will annoy me.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Still wondering whether to get the Witcher 3 for my oled. I know it's a technical marvel and it's only £10 (if I buy from Russia) but I'm wondering if the 30fps will annoy me.
Fwiw, as someone who has played TW3 on pc with all the bells and whistles, the 30 fps didn't really bother me. I have only played it in handheld though. With cross save its a nice companion piece to the pc version imo. But its not the definitive way to play it obviously.

As for the sale, some tempting games here for sure. We'll see what kind of haul I end up with.

addyb

Oct 27, 2017
Fwiw, as someone who has played TW3 on pc with all the bells and whistles, the 30 fps didn't really bother me. I have only played it in handheld though. With cross save its a nice companion piece to the pc version imo. But its not the definitive way to play it obviously.

As for the sale, some tempting games here for sure. We'll see what kind of haul I end up with.
Cheers. Yes I will be playing handheld. I only tend to dock the switch when playing Mario Party with the family. I will probably take the plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.