• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
H2x1_NintendoeShop_WebsitePortal_enGB.jpg

Hello and welcome everybody to what will hopefully be a continuous thread where we can all discuss one of the best things about the Nintendo Switch, all the marvellous indie games on the eShop.

As you may notice, this doesn't look anywhere near as good as the superb eShop threads that were very kindly provided to us by tolkir on a monthly basis, and I can only apologise for that, but I didn't want those threads to end, so here we are.

Please feel free to talk about all the best games you've been playing recently courtesy of the eShop. Tell us about any bargains you've found, what you're excited to play that's coming out soon etc

Hopefully this thread will suffice for now, and if it completely falls flat on its face, at least I tried.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'll start by saying I'm excited to pick up Demon Turf tomorrow after reading this review.

metro.co.uk

Demon Turf review - 3D platformer from Hell

The makers of Slime-san pay homage to N64 era platform games with this impressively ambitious and imaginative collectathon.

Same, I get strong Sonic Robo Blast 2 vibes from the aesthetic so I'm looking forward to it and hoping it's as good. Gonna grab the BoI Repentance DLC as well.

Edit: Also, the OST should be a banger if this track I've been jamming to is any indication.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping animal crossing goes on sale for BF digitally. I️ got it physically but I️ think I'd go back to it more if it was just sitting on my switch

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Is there a way to set up sale email notifications for the e-shop? Want to buy Grid Autosport but not at 35$. Would be willing to go for it for 20, but I always seem to miss sales since I don't go on the Switch super often

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to set up sale email notifications for the e-shop? Want to buy Grid Autosport but not at 35$. Would be willing to go for it for 20, but I always seem to miss sales since I don't go on the Switch super often

Not on the eshop itself, but dekudeals.com can do it for you.
Great way to get notified of sales

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Waiting for all the BF digital deals to be announced.

This is me … 🗿

And thank you Jonnykong for initiating the birth of this all-new eShop thread!

I am currently playing 'Unpacking', which is zen-like in its mechanics and blooming clever in the way it tells a story.

www.nintendo.co.uk

Unpacking

Unpack someone's belongings at different stages of their life to learn their story in this zen puzzle game.

This is what us folks use to alert ourselves when a game we would like (to buy) goes on sale:

www.dekudeals.com

Deku Deals - Nintendo Switch price tracking and wishlist notifications

Find the deepest discounts on Switch, Playstation, or Xbox. Get alerted for the next big sale. From physical games to digital codes, never miss a deal with Deku Deals.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Glad to hear Demon Turf ended up being fun, I've been interested in it for a while. Also Thanks for this OT there have been tons of cool releases I might have passed on or not known about without the monthly eshop ones.

R.I.P

Oct 30, 2017
Any word on what the frame rate on Demon Turf is on switch? I vaguely remember reading that it targets 30fps on switch and some of the reviews on the switch version mention framerate problems, will probably grab it on PS5 instead.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Thanks Jonnykong for continuing the Eshop thread tradition :)

I actually have been playing Animal Crossing (from the beginning) for a couple weeks as I will be buying the expansion and am excited for it!

Regarding Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town - it's good that there will be a demo as this game is pretty different from previous ones. It has been streamlined and simplified in a lot of ways. I had fun for about 20 hours but the main story is really short (finished in Fall Year 1) and I dropped it soon after.

Also, buyers beware on the DLC. It's several small areas you load into with 3-4 NPCs and their houses and that's it. If you want to romance someone who is in the DLC then it may be worth it, but otherwise they offer almost no gameplay and the NPCs do not leave their "zone" - except if you marry, they will be on your farm. They don't go to town, don't go to festivals, and don't interact with anyone in the town. Super disappointing!

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
This is me … 🗿

And thank you Jonnykong for initiating the birth of this all-new eShop thread!

I am currently playing 'Unpacking', which is zen-like in its mechanics and blooming clever in the way it tells a story.

www.nintendo.co.uk

Unpacking

Unpack someone's belongings at different stages of their life to learn their story in this zen puzzle game.

This is what us folks use to alert ourselves when a game we would like (to buy) goes on sale:

www.dekudeals.com

Deku Deals - Nintendo Switch price tracking and wishlist notifications

Find the deepest discounts on Switch, Playstation, or Xbox. Get alerted for the next big sale. From physical games to digital codes, never miss a deal with Deku Deals.

I'm also currently playing Unpacking, although I'm doing so via Gamepass.

It's quite lovely I can't lie, very chilled and addictive (if a little repetitive)

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
H2x1_NintendoeShop_WebsitePortal_enGB.jpg

Hello and welcome everybody to what will hopefully be a continuous thread where we can all discuss one of the best things about the Nintendo Switch, all the marvellous indie games on the eShop.

As you may notice, this doesn't look anywhere near as good as the superb eShop threads that were very kindly provided to us by tolkir on a monthly basis, and I can only apologise for that, but I didn't want those threads to end, so here we are.

Please feel free to talk about all the best games you've been playing recently courtesy of the eShop. Tell us about any bargains you've found, what you're excited to play that's coming out soon etc

Hopefully this thread will suffice for now, and if it completely falls flat on its face, at least I tried.

There is a monthly eShop thread to talk about all things eShop that also gives spotlight to sweet games and links to previous months.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad to see the eShop thread alive.
Good job Jonnykong

Demon Turf looks good since day one, but €24.99 is a little tough for me right now with SMTV so close. But I love 3d platformers. Decisions, decisions.

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see the eShop thread alive.
Good job Jonnykong

Demon Turf looks good since day one, but €24.99 is a little tough for me right now with SMTV so close. But I love 3d platformers. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks :) Still very much appreciate all the work you have done for us in the past, I know it was a lot of your spare time you used for us.

And yes, I think you should buy Demon Turf.

Dec 2, 2019
Thanks Jonnykong for the new thread. Feels good to keep the tradition going, at least.

We will be always extremely thankful to the great tolkir for all the incredible work of the past years. I remember getting excited at the end of the month, waiting for him to link the "New Thread". Good times...

Hopefully we can continue with all the heads up, recommendations and the kindness of all the lovely people that used to populate those threads.

tolkir may have left and he deserves a little rest, but the eShop won't stop!

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I finally gave the demo of Astalon a go tonight (looks divine on the OLED screen) and I very much enjoyed what I played, but before I go ahead and purchase the full thing, how's the rest of the game in terms of difficulty? I have little patience these days for games that test my frustration levels! (something I may come to regret when I buy Demon Turf tomorrow)

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
I finally gave the demo of Astalon a go tonight (looks divine on the OLED screen) and I very much enjoyed what I played, but before I go ahead and purchase the full thing, how's the rest of the game in terms of difficulty? I have little patience these days for games that test my frustration levels! (something I may come to regret when I buy Demon Turf tomorrow)
I don't feel like the game is too difficult in terms of enemy difficulty. As you keep playing you'll get some upgrades that make life easier. My biggest gripe with the game is that there were a few times that I got lost without being sure exactly where I was supposed to go. Sometimes the colors on the map made it difficult to tell where there was a room that I hadn't entered yet. But even with that frustration, I really enjoyed my time with the game. I think the game is worth playing and if you get lost like I did, I would recommend checking the 100% map is posted on Steam under Astalon's guide page.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the new thread!

My budget is tight this month and I just rebought Infinite Space for the DS. I really wish there were more space sims on Switch. Mass Effect when?

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018

I just finished it yesterday and would not recommend it. I would not say it's too difficult overall (it definitely gets easier as you go) but there is SO MUCH backtracking.

Imagine this scenario: you walk into a room as Character 1. The door is locked with a switch only Character 2 can hit. You backtrack to the camp a few screens away and switch characters. You walk back to the room. You open the door. The next screen has a door only Character 3 can hit, you backtrack to the camp again...etc.

Is it always that bad? No. Did stuff like that happen enough to sour my taste on the game? Absolutely.

I honestly don't get the people who say it's the best metroidvania of the year, I really didn't see anything specifically unique about it besides the different characters, which was a negative in my book.

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished it yesterday and would not recommend it. I would not say it's too difficult overall (it definitely gets easier as you go) but there is SO MUCH backtracking.

Imagine this scenario: you walk into a room as Character 1. The door is locked with a switch only Character 2 can hit. You backtrack to the camp a few screens away and switch characters. You walk back to the room. You open the door. The next screen has a door only Character 3 can hit, you backtrack to the camp again...etc.

Is it always that bad? No. Did stuff like that happen enough to sour my taste on the game? Absolutely.

I honestly don't get the people who say it's the best metroidvania of the year, I really didn't see anything specifically unique about it besides the different characters, which was a negative in my book.
This does concern me cos the only thing I didn't really enjoy about the demo was the slow character swapping mechanic.

flowsnake

Oct 25, 2017
This does concern me cos the only thing I didn't really enjoy about the demo was the slow character swapping mechanic.

You eventually get the ability to swap characters at will about halfway through.

As for difficulty, it starts much more difficult than it ends. The first boss took me about 20 tries but you get more and more powerful so every boss after that is much easier.

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
You eventually get the ability to swap characters at will about halfway through.

As for difficulty, it starts much more difficult than it ends. The first boss took me about 20 tries but you get more and more powerful so every boss after that is much easier.

That sounds good about gaining the ability, I will more than likely buy it after Demon Turf 👍

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad there's a new eShop thread, and glad there's a lot of Demon Turf talk, because it looks great. I'm probably snagging it on PS5 and not Switch in the hopes of higher framerate, but it looks incredible regardless

Soupbones

Oct 26, 2017
Based on your post, I can't recommend it - even though it's easily in my top 3 of the year. It's probably one of my favorite metroidvanias ever, but it IS hard in terms of secrets, backtracking and puzzles.

That all said, it's a brilliant game that really nails the difficulty and lack of hand holding that old NES/SMS games had back in the day.

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
If someone here hasn't picked up DUSK yet, you really should.

I'll probably will at some point. But as I've aged, I found fps in particular, and 3d games in general, tend to give me motion sickness.
Last fps I bought was Quake and I have to stop playing it since it always left me "sick" after a short session.
Can I expect Dusk to be better in that regard? Any suggestions on how to tweak the FOV and other settings for playing on the tv and handheld would be highly appreciates :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Based on your post, I can't recommend it - even though it's easily in my top 3 of the year. It's probably one of my favorite metroidvanias ever, but it IS hard in terms of secrets, backtracking and puzzles.

That all said, it's a brilliant game that really nails the difficulty and lack of hand holding that old NES/SMS games had back in the day.

The amount of back n forth I'm doing on this game 🤣 I think maybe I'll wait until it's on sale..

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
November 4 NA PR - probably picking up When Cards Fall if reviews are good.
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise – Join Lottie and the Paradise Planning team in this paid DLC* that expands your Animal Crossing: New Horizons experience. You'll travel to a chain of charming islands in an archipelago, where you can design the dream vacation homes of your clients, decorate island facilities – like a school and a restaurant – and discover new ways to create and personalize. With dozens and dozens of clients eager to enjoy your design inspirations, including your main island residents, the chance to create dream vacation homes offers new experiences to discover! Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Happy Home Paradise will be available on Nov. 5.

Just Dance 2022 – The ultimate dance game is back with new universes and 40 hot new tracks from chart-topping hits like "Believer" by Imagine Dragons and "Level Up" by Ciara. Looking for the perfect game to dance to the latest hits and share some fun with friends and family? Just Dance 2022 is for you!

Airborne Kingdom – Embark on a journey as a small kingdom to expand your population, researching new technologies and buildings, and forging alliances with terrestrial kingdoms. Soar through the skies as you complete quests, gather and manage resources, and work to keep your kingdom balanced both literally and in service of the needs and desires of your workers. Ultimately it is up to you to unite all of the kingdoms together into a single alliance guided along by the legendary Airborne Kingdom. Airborne Kingdom will be available on Nov. 9.

Where Cards Fall – Enjoy more than 50 challenging puzzles that exercise your imagination and strategic thinking skills, set to an original and immersive soundtrack. Create pathways through dreamlike spatial puzzles to navigate the insecurities and emotions of high school and beyond. Where Cards Fall is a slice-of-life story where you build houses of cards to bring formative memories to life.

DLC:
Expand Your Horizons! – There's even more Animal Crossing: New Horizons content arriving this week, with a free update** available to all Animal Crossing: New Horizons players on Nov. 5. It includes characters such as Brewster, who will open the Roost café on the second floor of the museum, and the sea shanty singing Kapp'n, who will take you to different islands with his boat. There will also be newly opened shops in the plaza on Harv's Island, including Katrina's fortune-telling shop. You'll be able to enjoy abilities such as cooking and growing vegetables, Gyroids can now be dug up from the ground, and as Resident Representative, you can even establish ordinances that reduce the rate at which weeds grow or make all the residents get up early in the morning. Have fun exploring the new experiences on your island getaway!

Activities:
Get Cozy With Animal Crossing: New Horizons Prizes – Enter the Animal Crossing: New Horizons Cozy Winter sweepstakes for a chance to win cute and cuddly prizes that may inspire you to turn up the heat on your Animal Crossing: New Horizons gameplay!*** Prizes include a Mink Sherpa plush blanket and a Monopoly Animal Crossing: New Horizons Edition Board Game. Check out the full details at https://my.nintendo.com/news/5af0557dd894a076.

Close Your Eyes and Make a Wish! – Get your hands on a new reward inspired by the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game! Use your My Nintendo reward points**** to redeem a 2021 birthday calendar to download and print. Now you'll be able to celebrate the birthdays of your favorite characters from the Animal Crossing series, including the newly added characters from the Nov. 5 update. To find out how to redeem your Platinum Points visit https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/99dcf38e0d469745.

Become the Ultimate Warrior – Attention bounty hunters – there's still time to enter the My Nintendo Metroid Dread Sweepstakes ending on Nov. 8.***** Prizes include HD metal wall art featuring Samus and an E.M.M.I. robot, a Metroid Dread Enhanced Wired Controller for Nintendo Switch, a Slim Case for Nintendo Switch from PowerA and a Metroid Dread Men's Hoodie Sweatshirt. For more information, please visit https://my.nintendo.com/rewards/a066dd359423fb69.

Nintendo eShop sales:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Also new this week in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch:

.dog – Available on Nov. 6
890B – Available on Nov. 10
A Boy and His Blob
Air Racers
Air Stunt Racing – Available on Nov. 5
Amazing Breaker
Arcade Archives SKY KID
Archery Club
Bloody Rally Show
BLUE REFLECTION: Second Light – Available on Nov. 9
Captain Backwater
Circa Infinity – Available on Nov. 5
City Pipes
Composer
Demon Turf
Destructivator SE – Available on Nov. 5
Emergency Driver Simulator – Available on Nov. 5
Encodya – Available on Nov. 5
Fast & Furious: Spy Racers Rise of SH1FT3R – Available on Nov. 5
Galaxy Shooter
Gravity Light – Available on Nov. 8
GUNKID 99 – Available on Nov. 10
Head over Heels
Kathy Rain: Director's Cut
Lone McLonegan: A Western Adventure
Lucid Cycle
Lyrica2 Stars Align
Magic Potion Millionaire
Milli & Greg
My Singing Monsters Playground – Available on Nov. 9
Neon Hell
New York Mysteries: The Lantern of Souls
Nowhere Girl
Occult Interrogation: The ritual of little nightmares
Om Nom: Run – Available on Nov. 5
One Last Memory
Pixel Heroes: Mega Byte & Magic – Available on Nov. 5
Popeye
Pretty Girls Panic! PLUS
Princess.Loot.Pixel.Again
QUByte Classics – The Immortal by PIKO
Real Farm – Premium Edition – Available on Nov. 10
Skeletal Avenger
Stilstand – Available on Nov. 5
Super Sami Roll
The Gardener and the Wild Vines – Available on Nov. 5
The Prince of Landis – Available on Nov. 5
Tomb of the Mask

Also new this week in Nintendo eShop on New Nintendo 3DS:
Soccer Shootout

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
OP, can you change the title to add in November 2921?

I decided to try make this a continuing running thread instead of having a seperate one for every month. This was mainly because nobody offered to step up and create the very detailed kind of threads tolkir used to do for us with all the detailed release information etc , so this was our next best option.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
this was our next best option.

Was it?
Honestly, I don't really understand what's the point of creating a new zero effort thread when we had one where all it was needed was to update the title and still have a ton of useful resources that took a lot of effort and years of time to create. If someone wanted to step up and put the time and effort to make a new one, good, if not then we still had a great thread to discuss everything eShop just by getting rid of "october" in the title (if that was bothering people). To each their own I guess. bigbosssalute.png to years of eShop threads. Mind you, not my intention to attack you at all, I expressed this same opinion days ago in the October eShop theead.

It'd be nice to at least have the PRs or list of upcoming games of the month for EU/NA/JPN regions in the OP and recover some of the useful links.

Status
Not open for further replies.