• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eShop E3 surprise of this year

• Mother 3

Votes: 102 17.9%
  • Mother Trilogy

Votes: 105 18.4%
  • Mother 4

Votes: 22 3.9%
  • Mother: The Dark World

Votes: 144 25.3%
  • Grandmother

Votes: 197 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sale is pretty meh, as expected.

I think I'm gonna say fuck it and get Samus Returns. Maybe that FE Echoes, too.

How is Miitopia? I'm interested in that game and Fantasy Life and I'm wondering which is better. FL is 30% off via MyNintendo

Another question: how is Xenoblade 3D? I am enjoying 2 a lot more than i thought i would. Would i be able to deal with going back to that game? Is the port a pretty bad way to go? I could play on Wii but I'd prefer handheld.

Last edited:

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping for Kirby. :(

Tempted to get Overcooked. I wonder if performance was ever sorted out.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
No European press release again, eh? Damn, I liked that they covered new DLC being available that the North American one doesn't acknowledge.
And yet how did we find out that Donkey Kong is on it when we don't have it?

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
So, Gorogoa or Night in the Woods if you're looking for story. I'm looking for something to really sink my teeth in and is written well

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Is the Ancestral Edition for Darkest Dungeon worth It? Or should I go for the standard edition? I've never played the game

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Gorogoa and Blossom Tales are worthwhile, right? Seems like good prices. Wonder if they will get deeper discounts down the line though so I'm planning to to play other games first.

Edit: Samus Returns is a solid price too but surely one day will be cheaper. I guess it may not make a Selects line but I have to imagine if I'm in no rush to play it my patience will eventually be rewarded.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Another question: how is Xenoblade 3D? I am enjoying 2 a lot more than i thought i would. Would i be able to deal with going back to that game? Is the port a pretty bad way to go? I could play on Wii but I'd prefer handheld.

I played a good few hours of it, but never finished it. Seemed fine to me. I think the complaints were due to the fact that it is a huge, sprawling game and the low-res tiny screen on the 3DS doesn't do it justice.

Personally, I like XBC2 more. Also, be warned, the original is only EN voice - no JP, if that's an issue for you. It's a huge problem for me, as I hate the voices. XBC1 is better than 2 in that regard, though. No JP would have been a deal-breaker for me on 2.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Radiant Historia worth getting if you have it on DS?

The more I think about it the more I'm leaning Xenoblade 3D...

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Shame there's no Overcooked sale in EU. Would have liked to rebuy (have on PS4). Will just wait for the sequel.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
so never played Splatoon a whole lot but thinking about part 2 plus the new DLC. I'm an SP only guy but is it safe to say between the base game and octo expansion, I've got 15-20 or so hours of SP gameplay? I think in total it's like 112 missions or something. With the sale it would make both $59.99 total which seems worth it if I'm accurate.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Gorogoa and Blossom Tales are worthwhile, right? Seems like good prices. Wonder if they will get deeper discounts down the line though so I'm planning to to play other games first.

Edit: Samus Returns is a solid price too but surely one day will be cheaper. I guess it may not make a Selects line but I have to imagine if I'm in no rush to play it my patience will eventually be rewarded.

Blossom Tales is fantastic.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So, Gorogoa or Night in the Woods if you're looking for story. I'm looking for something to really sink my teeth in and is written well

Night in the Woods. Gorogoa is a visual puzzle game.

I personally didn't think too highly of Blossom Tales, but I seem to be in the minority on that one. Check out some gameplay if you're unsure.

Edit: could've sworn there used to be a demo of Blossom Tales on Steam, but I can't find it now.
Edit 2: yup, there used to be one and it has been removed.

Is the Ancestral Edition for Darkest Dungeon worth It? Or should I go for the standard edition? I've never played the game

The DLC is more for players who are already experienced with the game. On your first time, it may be too frustrating, so I'd agree with the other poster recommending to hold off.

Last edited:

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
so never played Splatoon a whole lot but thinking about part 2 plus the new DLC. I'm an SP only guy but is it safe to say between the base game and octo expansion, I've got 15-20 or so hours of SP gameplay? I think in total it's like 112 missions or something. With the sale it would make both $59.99 total which seems worth it if I'm accurate.

15 hours sounds right, especially if you replay levels to do better or get the hidden items.

But I recommend giving the multiplayer a try. It's really fun.

King Onion

Oct 27, 2017
I think Xenoblade 1 is a much stronger game than 2. It even had more quality of life features, especially around collection and map functions, than the version of 2 I played (though it sounds like some of that has been patched).

I played the 3DS port, it's the only version I played but it's fine. It looks good (within reason) and controls fine with that lil' nub for the camera. Only complaint would be I remember it not using the second screen for too much. The combat ui seems geared towards having a large screen but it isn't impossible to play on the small screen.

I'd say go for it when you finish 2.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Oh hidden items? I'm a sucker for collectibles! Okay I think I'm sold. What kind of hidden items are they? Like shit for a gallery of some kind or things you actually use?

Edit: I'd of course try out MP because why not, but I wouldn't stick with it. I hate playing against people lol, I'm weird.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

Gorogoa....I would recommend playing on a tablet or phone personally. It's easily finished in one sitting(1-2 hours) and has low replay. It's a novel puzzle experience while it lasts, but it feels more tuned for tablets at a much more reasonable price point. Worth experiencing though if you really want it on Switch.

Blossom Tales...I also wanted to love this but fizzled hard on it. It evokes LttP in a sense, but is just not as engaging of a game or an adventure. Plenty do seem to like it, but I wasn't as impressed. Still, for the sale price you may as well see how you feel, just do not expect it to be the placeholder 2D Zelda game you hope.

I'd argue the Wii is the way to play it given the option, but the 3DS is perfectly fine given you don't mind the visual downgrade. It plays well enough though, I sunk almost 40 hours into it myself(but decided to resume playing from an old save on Wii at that point). If portability is important, then the port is capable of delivering.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong arcade on Switch now!! (In NA, EU tomorrow I think?) Never thought this would happen. The original arcade version has never been re-released. Not even the DK64 version is the original arcade game.

Bomb Chicken has been removed from the eShop for pre-purchase. It's not even listed on Nintendo's site anymore. Probably a delay incoming, which sucks, because I pre-purchased it on Tuesday!!

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
Oh happy day! Thanks man. Really tempted to pick it up.
No probs! I'm tempted to pick it up as well now as I've got 30 something quid burning a hole in my eshop wallet. I know it's free on gamepass but I've got 2 sets of joy cons and I reckon it would be perfect for the switch.

Sod it im doing it.

Including preordering Mario tennis I've spent 125 quid this week on the eshop. Never would have spent that much money digitally on Nintendo's previous consoles.

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Axiomn Verge is the only thing on my Wishlist on sale and it's 5% more than the last time it was on sale like 2 weeks ago. :(

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Over cooked has just appeared for £10.79 (40% off) btw.

Considering all DLC is included, it's a lot of multiplayer goodness for a nice price. We 100% the game, and I've also played it a couple of times with others. Works surprisingly well in tabletop mode!

Golf Story for 10€ sounds nice.

It is. The single player campaign is around 20 hours. It's not perfect, but it's a very fun game nevertheless.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Xenoblade 1 is a much stronger game than 2. It even had more quality of life features, especially around collection and map functions, than the version of 2 I played (though it sounds like some of that has been patched).

I played the 3DS port, it's the only version I played but it's fine. It looks good (within reason) and controls fine with that lil' nub for the camera. Only complaint would be I remember it not using the second screen for too much. The combat ui seems geared towards having a large screen but it isn't impossible to play on the small screen.

I'd say go for it when you finish 2.
How is the 3D? It says 3D in the name but is it fully 3D or just parts like some games?

I'm definitely going to play it, just trying to figure out which version. Leaning 3DS for portable convenience. Although if the English dub is awful I may be forced to go with Wii anyway...

Still no good sale for Isaac after more than a year...
I think I will never double dip on this one :D
Call me crazy but i feel that there's better twinstick roguelikes on the eshop. Better roguelikes in general, especially for the price.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
downloading the Octopath demo and just played a round of Donkey Kong.

I feel like the level that's been missing all these years is probably the worst of the bunch, but it's still great to have the arcade perfect version finally.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Nintendo just opened their Brazilian eshop. The prices are really good: Zelda BoTW is R$ 174,00 (around 45,00 U$), for exemple.

Considering everything in Brazil is a lot expensive (the Switch costs 400,00 dollars in grey market - no official support), makes me wonder if Nintendo will start to have a proper presence here.

The Brazilian videogame industry is the biggest in Latin America and it's bigger than countries like Australia and Russia. Over 1.5 billion dollars were spent, last year, in games in general. Nothing close to the main markets, but big enough to worth the investment.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bomb Chicken has been removed from the eShop for pre-purchase. It's not even listed on Nintendo's site anymore. Probably a delay incoming, which sucks, because I pre-purchased it on Tuesday!!
Don't take this the wrong way but why even pre-purchase games like that? There's no real incentive, it's not like you need to preload them because they're huge downloads. Even if you did need to, why so early? Why not the day before?

Why take the risk, especially of reviews come out saying it's a terrible port or something?

It just doesn't make any sense to me to pre-purchase digital games unless you have a terrible internet connection or you get a discount or bonus content.

To me it seems like another way to lock people with poor impulse control into a purchase since you can't refund digital pre-orders (absurd).

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
...what? This makes zero sense.

Just look. You do realize people have been importing games from other countries since home video game consoles were a thing, right?

I did look and it is about going to different territories to buy the cheapest value and once again, this was a hot topic in the Download thread. People avoiding one zone for another could eventually lead to all prices the same and hurting a lot of small countries. Paladins was cheaper in Mexico and when people started to rush to buy it there, they ended up increasing the Mexico price by a lot to eliminate that.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would love to have an arcadey football game to play against friends locally. Does someone know if Legendary Eleven or Soccer Slammers are any good?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Don't take this the wrong way but why even pre-purchase games like that? There's no real incentive, it's not like you need to preload them because they're huge downloads. Even if you did need to, why so early? Why not the day before?
I can't speak for the Beard, but personally I do it sometimes because I have the funds available at the time, but might not when the game is released.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How are Violett and Sparkle 2 EVO?
They are both discounted at 80% off ($0.99 and $1.99 respectively) so at that price point I'm like, why not?

Bought Super Sidekicks 3, and you should too!

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
I would love to have an arcadey football game to play against friends locally. Does someone know if Legendary Eleven or Soccer Slammers are any good?
I too would like to know this. Soccer slammers looks a bit more pong like (think wind jammers) but I've been tempted by legendary eleven. Looks like a cross between ISS and super sidekicks. I picked up super sidekicks being a huge fan of the arcade cab back in the day and it hasn't aged well.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Buy Super Sidekicks 3! (or 2, or 1). $7.99, part of the Arcade Archives collection.
These are arcade games so the difficulty against the CPU can be frustrating and unforgiving after a point, but these games are perfect for local multiplayer. And golden age arcade games with incredible presentation.

Thanks for the heads-up!

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The original Donkey Kong heading to the eShop is actually gigantic news. There has been no official release of it since the original arcade run, because Nintendo didn't own the rights to the code. Every subsequent release was rebuilt from scratch as close to the original as possible.

I wonder if Ikegami finally settled their grudge.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hidden items? I'm a sucker for collectibles! Okay I think I'm sold. What kind of hidden items are they? Like shit for a gallery of some kind or things you actually use?

Edit: I'd of course try out MP because why not, but I wouldn't stick with it. I hate playing against people lol, I'm weird.

It's sunken scrolls that expand the mythology of the world and sardinium that allow you upgrade weapons in the SP.

The MP includes a Co-op mode called Salmon Run were you collect eggs through 3 waves of enwmies. The competitive mode I kind of treat like it's me and a bunch of bots. It's 3 minute matches so it's easy to shake of a loss and keep playing.