Status
Not open for further replies.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How are both Mark of the Ninja and Valkyrie Chronicles 4 on the Switch?

I love MOTN but I only played the PC version.

I also played the first VC on PC but never touched 4 on any platforms.

VC4 runs well on Switch, just has some minor stuttering during particle-intense maps. Actually, it runs better than the VC1 port does IIRC.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Would you recommend Turok or Turok 2 in its switch version? I'm looking for a nice retro looking fps and Dusk seems to be MIA.
And on sale games: is Grid autosport a decent game? Grid 2019 is on sale and I want a nice looking arcade, but favouring switch, so it's either Grid, Rise or Outrun...

Deleted member 10428

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would you recommend Turok or Turok 2 in its switch version? I'm looking for a nice retro looking fps and Dusk seems to be MIA.
And on sale games: is Grid autosport a decent game? Grid 2019 is on sale and I want a nice looking arcade, but favouring switch, so it's either Grid, Rise or Outrun...

Grid is a great port. BUT controls are a bit off because of digital triggers, totally playable though. 30/60 FPS setting is awesome.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
T1+2 are impeccable ports.
www.resetera.com

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter & Turok 2: Seeds of Evil HD on Nintendo Switch |OT| Cerebral, Not Boring. #TeamFog vs #TeamNoFog

HD Remaster Developed & Published By: Nightdive Studios Switch Physical Version Publisher: Limited Run Games Original Game By: Iguana Entertainment & Acclaim Genre: Fog Person Shooter starring Dinosaurs & Aliens Original N64 Releases: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (1997) | Turok 2: Seeds of Evil...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
How are both Mark of the Ninja and Valkyrie Chronicles 4 on the Switch?

I love MOTN but I only played the PC version.

I also played the first VC on PC but never touched 4 on any platforms.
I super LOVED Mark of the Ninja. I never played it anywhere else before so the 30 fps didn't bother me. The game is not an intense twitch type of game so while it would've been nice, it doesn't seem overly necessary.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
T1+2 are impeccable ports.
www.resetera.com

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter & Turok 2: Seeds of Evil HD on Nintendo Switch |OT| Cerebral, Not Boring. #TeamFog vs #TeamNoFog

HD Remaster Developed & Published By: Nightdive Studios Switch Physical Version Publisher: Limited Run Games Original Game By: Iguana Entertainment & Acclaim Genre: Fog Person Shooter starring Dinosaurs & Aliens Original N64 Releases: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (1997) | Turok 2: Seeds of Evil...
Oh, thanks! I meant it more in the "is the game fun and intense"? I remember the outrageous weapons from magazine pics but don't know if it's too exploration heavy.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, thanks! I meant it more in the "is the game fun and intense"? I remember the outrageous weapons from magazine pics but don't know if it's too exploration heavy.

There is quite a bit of exploration. Expect some platforming as well, but its well handled and not outright difficult. There are many weapons to uncover and earn with progress, so the combat tends to feel exciting and each new tool is a pleasure to wield. If you hunt around, there are collectibles hidden that will offer nice rewards.

The sequel differs a bit in that it goes for a more maze-like structure in its levels. Expect to have to return to earlier levels with new upgrades to find everything. It can feel a bit less inviting than the first game, and I prefer the first still, but this is by far the best the game's have ever looked and played. Even the gyro aiming is well implemented here. I recommend giving them a try.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My Nintendo has 30% off Pocket Card Jockey and Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure using platinum points in NA. I played the PCJ demo before and thought it was decent but couldn't tell if it gets more complex. I find Dr. Mario addictive but I have Dr. Luigi and other Dr. Mario entries. Any thoughts on these?

BTW, they also have Pokemon Art Academy at 30% off which is one of the only times I've ever seen it discounted.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
You had me all excited with a Grid sale on Switch, it is not :(

By the way, in case people are interested, Carcassonne is 50% off in EU/NA regions.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
My Nintendo has 30% off Pocket Card Jockey and Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure using platinum points in NA. I played the PCJ demo before and thought it was decent but couldn't tell if it gets more complex. I find Dr. Mario addictive but I have Dr. Luigi and other Dr. Mario entries. Any thoughts on these?

BTW, they also have Pokemon Art Academy at 30% off which is one of the only times I've ever seen it discounted.
I've only played Pocket Card Jockey and I would easily recommend it. I think it's one of the best 3DS games out there. It takes the concept of horse racing, throws in some RPG mechanics, and a memorable OST into a SUPER addicting solitaire game. The addicting aspect is the horse breeding since each time you go through a season, you build up horses as best as you can with stats, get them to breed, and each time you get a new horse, it gets better stats. Horse Legacy is what I would call it. There is a bit of BS RNG but it is so satisfying to pull off card combos and win a race from behind.

Last edited:

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Hi there; recently rebought a switch this time a lite version and really loving the portability of it.

Was looking for some eshop "indie" title recommendations.

Was considering the following games but wanted some feedback:

katana zero
Overland
Hyper Light Drifter.

I was looking for a good time sink or a game with good story and replayability.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi there; recently rebought a switch this time a lite version and really loving the portability of it.

katana zero
Overland
Hyper Light Drifter.

Have you played Hollow Knight at all?

Katana Zero has a story but it's kind of weird and bizarre, while Hyper Light Drifter has no dialogue at all. They're both good games though and present themselves quite well.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
My journey with BOTW was weird. Grabbed it on WiiU. Played 10 hours and loved it, so I grabbed a Switch (I didn't care a lot for the console, now it's my fav ever tied with the SFC)

It'ss funny Dash, my journey with BOTW was kinda similar to yours. I didn't really come to appreciate what makes it great until a couple years after release. At release we played it a ton and we're kinda disappointed with it. But I went back to it last year and have put in another 100 hours playing on and off, and now I really see what's special about it and I appreciate it a lot more than I originally did. Similar to what you said, I think we we're kinda playing it the wrong way to appreciate it properly.

BTW, since SFC is your other favorite console, any under-appreciated Zelda-likes or platformers you recommend on there? I was just reading about Hameln no Violin Hiki yesterday.

Lots of love for The Touryst, it seems. I played the demo but wasn't all that enamored by it. That flavor of puzzles didn't do it for me at all.

I keep forgetting there's a demo. I wonder if it gets significantly better after the demo. We usually have similar taste in games so I better check out that demo.

Huh. Just saw that Battle Princess Madelyn got an updated 'Royal' edition.
I reviewed the original release and while the game isn't terrible, the level-design was really bad. Hopefully the new edition addresses that issue.
TheMoon
I came across an article that explains a bit about the Royal Edition and what's different about it...
limitedrungames.com

Battle Princess Madelyn gets a Limited Run for the PS4 & Switch!

Battle Princess Madelyn gets a Limited Run for the PS4 and a two-week open pre-order for the Switch this Friday, October 25!

Unless it gets amazing reviews I think the game is just not for me. I remember reading your review PepsimanVsJoe. It's too bad the game didn't turn out differently... I wonder if there's a Kickstarter stipulation or loophole of some kind that prevented them from making the Royal Edition a free update. Seems like that might be consistent with the article. I feel bad for the dev that the KS strayed the game so far off the original intention. At this point though it seems like only a new game may get attention. I'm definitely interested to read how the Royal Edition turned out though.

Beat Torna last night and just started playing The Messenger today. Really enjoying The Messenger so far, I also bought Yooka-Laylee and the invisible lair after all the positive impressions lol

Glad to hear that! I loved the game... Though now you've got me wondering if an Invisible Lair would've been harder or easier than the Impossible Lair XD

Not necessarily. Just throw them a couple of coins.

Ha!

I bought Madelyn full price and even if that new game were free I wouldn't play it.

Man you have taken some with full price hits :(

I've only played Pocket Card Jockey and I would easily recommend it. I think it's one of the best 3DS games out there. It takes the concept of horse racing, throws in some RPG mechanics, and a memorable OST into a SUPER addicting solitaire game. The addicting aspect is the horse breeding since each time you go through a season, you build up horses as best as you can with stats, get them to breed, and each time you get a new horse, it gets better stats. Horse Legacy is what I would call it. There is a bit of BS RNG but it is so satisfying to pull off horse combos and win a race from behind.

Nice, that sounds good! Sounds like there is plenty there to get stuck into and enjoy. Thank you!

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
This spring sale is pretty good.
Picked up Katana Zero a few days ago and just finished it. dope game.
The Messenger is next.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting there's a demo. I wonder if it gets significantly better after the demo. We usually have similar taste in games so I better check out that demo.
For context, this is regarding The Touryst:

I was really enjoying it until they started introducing platforming sections that seemed to be purposely designed so that the camera would make it impossible to judge the jumps. That really turned me off of it, but it seems I'm in the minority.

I still finished it, but out of spite and I didn't 100% it. Which meant not finishing all those infuriating platforming parts.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
This is what I get for believing in indie devs.
2707.jpg

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
It'ss funny Dash, my journey with BOTW was kinda similar to yours. I didn't really come to appreciate what makes it great until a couple years after release. At release we played it a ton and we're kinda disappointed with it. But I went back to it last year and have put in another 100 hours playing on and off, and now I really see what's special about it and I appreciate it a lot more than I originally did. Similar to what you said, I think we we're kinda playing it the wrong way to appreciate it properly.

BTW, since SFC is your other favorite console, any under-appreciated Zelda-likes or platformers you recommend on there? I was just reading about Hameln no Violin Hiki yesterday.

TheMoon
I came across an article that explains a bit about the Royal Edition and what's different about it...
limitedrungames.com

Battle Princess Madelyn gets a Limited Run for the PS4 & Switch!

Battle Princess Madelyn gets a Limited Run for the PS4 and a two-week open pre-order for the Switch this Friday, October 25!

Unless it gets amazing reviews I think the game is just not for me. I remember reading your review PepsimanVsJoe. It's too bad the game didn't turn out differently... I wonder if there's a Kickstarter stipulation or loophole of some kind that prevented them from making the Royal Edition a free update. Seems like that might be consistent with the article. I feel bad for the dev that the KS strayed the game so far off the original intention. At this point though it seems like only a new game may get attention. I'm definitely interested to read how the Royal Edition turned out though.

Glad to hear that! I loved the game... Though now you've got me wondering if an Invisible Lair would've been harder or easier than the Impossible Lair XD

Ha!

Man you have taken some with full price hits :(

Nice, that sounds good! Sounds like there is plenty there to get stuck into and enjoy. Thank you!

Kickstarter rules or not what Casual Bit has done almost makes me wanna puke, honestly.

NOTHING prevents them to give AT LEAST a 50% discount to previous owners, many devs do promo on Switch were you get a discount if you own a specific game or even simply one of the pubs' games... considering that Casual Bit is the publisher for both and they only have the two BPM releases, it wouldn't have been difficult to set up at all.

Everything about both releases they've handled like crap as far as I'm concerned

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
For context, this is regarding The Touryst:

I was really enjoying it until they started introducing platforming sections that seemed to be purposely designed so that the camera would make it impossible to judge the jumps. That really turned me off of it, but it seems I'm in the minority.

I still finished it, but out of spite and I didn't 100% it. Which meant not finishing all those infuriating platforming parts.

Thanks for sharing. That sounds super frustrating... I'm gonna put the game back into the 'try the demo' pile. I love isometric games, especially platformers like Spot Goes to Hollywood (PS1 game) but it is really irksome when they go for blind jumps.

Kickstarter rules or not what Casual Bit has done almost makes me wanna puke, honestly.

NOTHING prevents them to give AT LEAST a 50% discount to previous owners, many devs do promo on Switch were you get a discount if you own a specific game or even simply one of the pubs' games... considering that Casual Bit is the publisher for both and they only have the two BPM releases, it wouldn't have been difficult to set up at all.

Everything about both releases they've handled like crap as far as I'm concerned

Ohh, yeah, I didn't think about those options. Good point. And still truly strange how the Royal Edition was physical exclusive for I think several months. The whole thing is a mess. It's too bad too, I was legit interested in the game before release.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019

katana zero
Overland
Hyper Light Drifter.

Hollow Knight is a great pick, one of the best games on Switch nevermind best Indies.

Celeste is also outstanding.

Dead Cells has good replayability.

I played and finished Katana Zero earlier this year - great soundtrack, story, characters, fun and exciting gameplay. It doesn't have as much meat to it as something like Hollow Knight, but still a great experience.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Jamestown+ has some good damn production values for a shmup, kind of ridiculous actually, i was not expecting that!

I was really eager to add a good shooter in my collection and that one seemed to be praised around here quite often.

Really wished shooters would go on discount more often though, it seems like they don't.

Also the Turok games, those never get discounted in Europe for some reason

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks guys for the suggestions: trying to find meaty game to get into on the eshop what with all social distancing.
hollow Knight is a contender.
Also big JRPG fan here but most on switch I'd prefer to get on cart and not download so with stores closed and shipping from online being weeks checking some of the smaller titles to.
Any thoughts on either I am Setsuna and Romancing Saga 2?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys for the suggestions: trying to find meaty game to get into on the eshop what with all social distancing.
Also big JRPG fan here but most on switch I'd prefer to get on cart and not download so with stores closed and shipping from online being weeks checking some of the smaller titles to.

If you want a good 60 hour RPG I'd recommend Tales of Vesperia.

It's also only about 20 hours long but I also adore Steamworld Quest, a turn based card battle RPG.

mauaus

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to play ff9 but couldn't power through how archaic it feels even if the art is lovely to me... How is alliance alive?

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018

Might want to take a look at slay the spire and saga scarlet grace ambitions too.

Slay the spire is a super addictive deck building game with a good amount of content. It is the type of game that once it gets it's hooks in you well you can sink a ton of time into it. I'm at like 175 hours and still have stuff to do.

Saga scarlet graces ambitions is a really unique complex openish jrpg with an interesting battle system but it has low budget wrinkles in terms of art and presentation but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Really interesting take on the genre. Very unique and challenging.

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
So, I have been on a small spending spree on the eShop this morning. I bought Just Dance to play with my family, Runner 3 even though I have played most of it on PS4 (it was so cheap) and the Touryst, as I have heard nothing but good things about that game.
Now I am stuck deciding between Katana Zero and Ape Out. I am leaning more towards Katana Zero, but would love to hear what you all think?

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
So, I have been on a small spending spree on the eShop this morning. I bought Just Dance to play with my family, Runner 3 even though I have played most of it on PS4 (it was so cheap) and the Touryst, as I have heard nothing but good things about that game.
Now I am stuck deciding between Katana Zero and Ape Out. I am leaning more towards Katana Zero, but would love to hear what you all think?
Katana Zero is such an amazing game!

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Just dropping some feedback. I was looking for some racing games to play with my kids and picked up Fast RMX, Grip, Asphalt 9 and Gear.Club Ultimate.

Fast RMX is great, runs smooth as silk and is genuinely fun for me but too hard for my kids. It's a great futuristic racer and feels really fast. Would recommend it even if it wasn't on sale.

Grip runs like shit on normal settings but is ok if you turn off some graphics settings and decrease the FOV. It's kinda fun, has loads of content, my kids like it. It doesnt feel fast. It's an ok game and worth it at it's current price if you can look past performance issues.

Asphalt 9 is super fun need for speed type racer and F2P. It tries to get me to spend but it's easy to skip. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I actually really like this game. It's fun. And it's free.

Gear. Club Unlimited is a realistic racing sim with ok but not great graphics. I'm not big on racing sims and prefer arcade racers. I picked this up on a whim but don't see myself or my kids playing much if it

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
Just dropping some feedback. I was looking for some racing games to play with my kids and picked up Fast RMX, Grip, Asphalt 9 and Gear.Club Ultimate.

Fast RMX is great, runs smooth as silk and is genuinely fun for me but too hard for my kids. It's a great futuristic racer and feels really fast. Would recommend it even if it wasn't on sale.

I have been looking at Fast RMX as well, I enjoyed Fast Racing Neo on the Wii U. Damn my wallet is going to hurt.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
If you like '80s/90s comedy anime (Lum, Shin-chan, or the hilarious... Dash Kappei, to name a few) with Japan's cultural references/way of life rolled into one simple yet super addicting game with oh-so-great characters and dialogue, you owe it to yourselves to try DANDY DUNGEON - The Legend of Brave Yamada

I liked the demo, and I'm loving the game, having a great time and I find myself legit laughing out loud at the dialogue and vibe/events which doesn't happen that often with videogames.

I'm really glad I decided to go ahead with it.
It's perfect to play both with touch controls, controller or a mix of both (I go with Touch for the "breaking 4th wall" inputs and controller for the dungeons)

Onion Games is truly a treasure to preserve!

j_z

Feb 14, 2019

Grip runs like shit on normal settings but is ok if you turn off some graphics settings and decrease the FOV. It's kinda fun, has loads of content, my kids like it. It doesnt feel fast. It's an ok game and worth it at it's current price if you can look past performance issues.

Asphalt 9 is super fun need for speed type racer and F2P. It tries to get me to spend but it's easy to skip. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I actually really like this game. It's fun. And it's free.

Gear. Club Unlimited is a realistic racing sim with ok but not great graphics. I'm not big on racing sims and prefer arcade racers. I picked this up on a whim but don't see myself or my kids playing much if it
Try Horizon Chase Turbo,it has multiplayer as well

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone have any impressions of Iron Crypticle they'd like to share? It seems like something I'd enjoy but games like that are hit or miss with me. I loved Neon Chrome, didn't much care for Neurovoider, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.