• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing so much One Step from Eden and hearing there's a new Slay the Spire character has me eyeing the Triple Dip with Spire on sale...

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Torna last night and just started playing The Messenger today. Really enjoying The Messenger so far, I also bought Yooka-Laylee and the invisible lair after all the positive impressions lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Slay the Spire is a much better game than OSFE. As usual, the clone cant touch the OG (Souls games, various Darkest Dungeon clones, Zelda clones what have you) even if its a good game in itself.

Not only is OSFE wildly unbalanced (officially I might add via a blog post on the steam forums from the dev) but it runs like shit on the Switch when it gets too hectic (hopefully to be patched). Its still good and I dont regret getting it, but I put 20 hours into it give or take with no intention of playing anymore until its patched, and I put like 100 into StS.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Caught these games on sale, but don't know if I should buy them:

Armello
OTTTD
Slay the Spire

Looking specially at Armello, since I have been itching for a 4X game on the Switch (Civ6 is damn expensive).

Any feedback on that one? Any other Civ6 alternatives?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I've barely started A Robot Named Fight! but I like it quite a bit. A rogue-like Metroid? Sure, all right. It's biggest flaw so far is that the sound effects are BAD, but I forgive their lack of budget.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's mainly because i like really hard platformers and me being stubborn to do 100% on them also helps to get some practice.
I guess the harder time i had to complete a platformer was with "The End is Nigh".
The gameplay on that one was perfect for me but the end level stuff was super hard.

Well, it's still super impressive to me! ^^ We like to play a lot of platformers, too, but it takes some serious doing for us to 100% some of them. Uber-hardcore platformers like I have the sense of "The End is Night" as being is just too tough for me, though.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Re: Underhero

It feels like it's been on sale since it hit the eShop.

I hope it does better. It's been criminally overlooked.

It's a travesty! It's got to be one of the most under-appreciated indies on the system. I hope it catches people's attention.

-

EUYlC1HUMAAf284

And, we beat the game today! (no spoilers)

What a freaking amazing and wonderful game. The final hour really blew away both of our expectations. My wife had done all the boss battles up to this point (we take turns playing) so I got to do the final boss battle. I'm not going to get into spoilers but I thought the narrative and plot were incredibly creative and surprising, the characters were compelling, the finale was suitably epic and inventive, and the dialogue was genuinely hilarious and touching. The music was great throughout the game, too, I can definitely see myself listening to the OST. Basically, this game is so excellent and I enjoyed my time with it very, very much.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one that actively disliked Underhero? Maybe I'm crazy.

Like I genuinely didn't think there was anything special about it. You had every tool in your arsenal very quickly, enemy types were largely uninteresting and resulted in monotonous combat, platforming felt loose and uninspired, boss fights were cool thematically but the mechanics sucked and way too much backtracking. I stopped playing probably very close to the end because I just didn't care anymore.

Music slapped though, that shit was good.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Armello
OTTTD
Slay the Spire

Looking specially at Armello, since I have been itching for a 4X game on the Switch (Civ6 is damn expensive).

Armello isnt a 4X, its a board game primarely focused on multiplayer

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one that actively disliked Underhero? Maybe I'm crazy.

Like I genuinely didn't think there was anything special about it. You had every tool in your arsenal very quickly, enemy types were largely uninteresting and resulted in monotonous combat, platforming felt loose and uninspired, boss fights were cool thematically but the mechanics sucked and way too much backtracking. I stopped playing probably very close to the end because I just didn't care anymore.

Music slapped though, that shit was good.

I guess we have to fight to the death now.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Armello
OTTTD
Slay the Spire

You're aware that Civ 6 is 50% off right now?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't get Armello to satisfy 4x cravings. It shares some elements but is more going for being a board game. Armello has more in common with For the King (which is a better game, especially in single player).

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Double dipped on Toki Tori 2+ at $1,50. TBH, I felt kind of bad because it's a game that deserves to be double dipped at full price.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Finished yesterday's new release, Gunbrick: Reloaded (by Nitrome), and I figured I'd give my thoughts to anyone considering picking up the game.

----

Absolutely worth picking up. Once again, Nitrome have crafted an excellent puzzle-platformer by taking a simple idea - the Gunbrick - and building upon it through incrementally harder level designs and gimmicks.

You control the Gunbrick - a brick with a gun on one side, and a shield on the other. You rotate as you move through stages, and to progress, you often need to orient the Gunbrick in some way, to aim the gun in the right direction. If you aim the gun down at the ground, you can propel yourself upwards; aim it sideways, and you push yourself in the opposite direction (the recoil). The game gets complex when you need to figure out how to use these ideas (rotation and recoil) to get yourself to face a certain direction in order to progress. The review from EGM sums the idea up far better than I have.

The game starts off simple, but by slowly increasing the complexity of the required movements and then by introducing new ideas into levels, the game ends up feeling very satisfying to progress through, with a great sense of cohesion between levels. Levels are short and fairly focused, usually focusing a core idea or two. The game features 48 levels, 12 of which are unlockable through the main campaign, plus the original 10 levels from the Flash version of Gunbrick (all the way from 2012). The only levels which stick out as bad are the 3 boss levels, at the end of each Pack -- they're just a bit clunky and not overly engaging to play through. The game lasts roughly 5 to 6 hours, if you go for 100%.

The game has the same general art design as Bomb Chicken, Nitrome's earlier Switch release, which lends it a simple yet charming look. The music is equally "simple yet charming" - nothing you'd listen to on repeat, but enough to lend each set of levels their own identity. The new content in this Reloaded edition are the 12 new isometric levels, which are far more complex than the majority of the main campaign. They have the same great design philosophy as the main campaign, but I do feel they run on for too long.

In all, this game is great and well worth playing! My only other complaint is that the level select is a bit... weird at times. The developers are aware of the bugs with the level select, however. They won't stop you progressing, but your cursor can get stuck if you flip between worlds when picking a level.

I played through the first world and yes, this is a pretty cool game. A really simple concept that is explored through level design rather than piling on new moves.

Nitrome is also great at implementing rumble in their games. They even put it in for their logo, which was also the case for Bomb Chicken. These things give me joy.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oh Nitrome are the masters of simple but satisfying game concepts.

Also went with Slay the spire since I've been enjoying Pirate outlaws on my phone. I'll wait till one step from eden gets more stable

Oct 27, 2017
Embarrassed to admit I don't own an Atlus 3DS game. I've read LPs of Devil Survivor 1+2 and played a little of Untold. Which one do you guys recommend getting?

I'm leaning towards SMT IV or Strange Journey Redux.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Embarrassed to admit I don't own an Atlus 3DS game. I've read LPs of Devil Survivor 1+2 and played a little of Untold. Which one do you guys recommend getting?

If you're starting out get either of the Devil Survivor games (first one has a better story, second has better gameplay) or Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ended up buying Mario + Rabbids, sub-5€ with some gold coins I had. Always had doubts about enjoying it due to my general dislike of Ubisoft games structure but I had to play that one at one point.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ended up buying Mario + Rabbids, sub-5€ with some gold coins I had. Always had doubts about enjoying it due to my general dislike of Ubisoft games structure but I had to play that one at one point.

like, I know what you mean (even if I compleetly disagree with the concept) but of all the games, Mario x Rabbids is the farthest away from the "Ubisoft formula" you could find, not even sure how you could possibly think it had inkling of it.

that's like someone saying "I didnt play Resident Evil because I don't like Capcom fighting games"

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the first 3 areas of Underhero were great and I was really enjoying the game, but I really detested the fourth section and found it a tedious chore to get through.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
like, I know what you mean (even if I compleetly disagree with the concept) but of all the games, Mario x Rabbids is the farthest away from the "Ubisoft formula" you could find, not even sure how you could possibly think it had inkling of it.

that's like someone saying "I didnt play Resident Evil because I don't like Capcom fighting games"

Almost all of their games share a similar structure, it's not about the genre but their game design philosophy as a publisher.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Almost all of their games share a similar structure, it's not about the genre but their game design philosophy as a publisher.

youre talking about the "open world, giant map full of icons to clear, towers to climb" that you can find in Ubi games from Assassin's Creed to Rainbow Six to The Crew (a racing game of all things), I get it.

Mario X Rabbids has none of this.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
If you didn't know Mario and Rabbids was an Ubisoft game you might assume it was made by Nintendo and just happened to feature Rabbids.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
youre talking about the "open world, giant map full of icons to clear, towers to climb" that you can find in Ubi games from Assassin's Creed to Rainbow Six to The Crew (a racing game of all things), I get it.

Mario X Rabbids has none of this.

It's that, but it's also grinding, unbearable skill trees, repetitive side quests, stuff to loot and stats to farm. I knew the game wasn't open world, but there's as I said a lot of common factors that could have been part of the experience here too.

But I already picked the game anyway, so I'll check for myself.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
It's that, but it's also grinding, unbearable skill trees, repetitive side quests, stuff to loot and stats to farm. I knew the game wasn't open world, but there's as I said a lot of common factors that could have been part of the experience here too.

But there is no grinding, side quests or stats to farm in M+R?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Hopefully owners of the previous game get a sizable discount then.
nope, as mentioned a page or so ago. no discount for OG Madelyn owners. truly bizarre given how poorly communicated the differences are or why one would need/want to get a "royal edition."

it has zero overlap with the notorious ubisoft formula. literally zero. you can take everyone's word for that^^

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Madelyn full price and even if that new game were free I wouldn't play it.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Mario + Rabbids is solid, but not a must-play. One of the prettier games on Switch. Difficulty curve is wack, though. Wasn't smart enough to beat it.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely go with SMT IV. One of my favourite 3DS games overall. Terrific combat, and an interesting story to carry me along. Feels good to explore in the 3D world map. It made me a fan of the series, and has only made the wait for V all the harder.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
How are both Mark of the Ninja and Valkyrie Chronicles 4 on the Switch?

I love MOTN but I only played the PC version.

I also played the first VC on PC but never touched 4 on any platforms.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY

I third recommending SMT IV. It's tough as nails especially if you're going for the Neutral ending but Magic is busted for the most part. The ally AI sucks and the friendly NPCs are dull as bricks but everything else around it is pretty good. Because StreetPass was pretty useful, you'd only lose out on that as free goodies and the possibility of getting a new demon were cool additions.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I've caught a streak of "soft" looking games and as someone that only plays portable it's been quite annoying. Starting to think I'd rather have a performance hit than a res one tbh, but what's really annoying is that in many of these cases theres doesnt even seem to be a reason for such low res, besides being shoddy ports.

Especially after the Witcher 3 patch made it clear the initial vaseline smear look was completely not needed.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I've caught a streak of "soft" looking games and as someone that only plays portable it's been quite annoying. Starting to think I'd rather have a performance hit than a res one tbh, but what's really annoying is that in many of these cases theres doesnt even seem to be a reason for such low res, besides being shoddy ports.

Especially after the Witcher 3 patch made it clear the initial vaseline smear look was completely not needed.
I think super low res is just a very quick and relatively easy "optimization" fix that gets ports where they need to be in favor of doing actual optimization which takes time (=money the devs don't have).

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
What would be the recommendation between Dragon Ball Fighter Z or Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 if I want to play coop with my son?

We have two switches so could purchase two copies if neccessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.