• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much more to say to you.

Just because it's the ESRB's job to rate games doesn't mean that a platform holder can't make their own decisions about underage girls in their video games.

And if you're okay with that being in a game just because the ESRB gives it "the clear," that's weird. It's wrong, period.

I don't like when when someone gets called names because they support certain freedoms. Like do you imply people who support first amendment free speech are pedo, nazis, etc.? Because first amendment allows all kinds of deranged shit to be made and sold.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What an age we live in when you buy a game for the Nintendo console to get the uncensored version. Quite the difference from the SNES vs Genesis/MD days.

Nov 1, 2017
It's so weird that we're in a time when Sony is clamping down and Nintendo is allowing things, growing up Nintendo's censorship was in full effect. It wasn't until they got pushed hard did they finally change their ways.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Society sees violence as OK, as it can be used as a means to an end, depending on the situation. Its not called the police force because they convince you to stop your criminal acts, for instance. However, sexual content involving minors will probably never be acceptable as its widely seen as disgusting, with no situation where it can be seen as OK to allow.

I believe the United Nations is trying to make it that way, but US and Japan are blocking that initiative. I don't follow that news story closely, but that is my understanding given glancing at headlines.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
There's not much more to say to you.

Just because it's the ESRB's job to rate games doesn't mean that a platform holder can't make their own decisions about underage girls in their video games.

And if you're okay with that being in a game just because the ESRB gives it "the clear," that's weird. It's wrong, period.
And in fact they should. Such decisions aren't censorship. They're marketing choices.

Games that get flagged as AO don't do well. Games that get banned entirely, as happens in some countries, face problems within entire markets. There's nothing wrong with a local arm of a company saying "oh, there's no way this will pass review here due to x and y; let's remove x and y."

The video game industry is not crusading for rights. It's a capitalistic enterprise producing goods for money. Different companies are making different decisions based on their bottom line, nothing more. And in this case, allowing this kind of content, is a bad decision (morally and for marketability).

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with leaving this to the proper institutions. Sony's policy has mostly just created confusion

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But creppy weeb shit is literally the only thing Sony has "censored"
I mean DMC V exists, but I was more refering to Nintendo's past focus on being family friendly. The Binding of Isaac was rejected by Nintendo before because of the religious themes, but with the turn around it was a launch game for switch. Painting censorship as only an issue in regards to "creepy weeb shit" is not true and I would hope most people would be able to make the distinction. Everyone should be fine with the removal of loli type sexualization

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean the embarrassing fan service scene that really shouldn't have been in the game at all?
oh my god! who decides that? in that case it wasn't a case of sexualizing an underage character, so sony can also decide if sexualization of adults is ok or not? it's not about me or you being ok with it, in that case they had no excuse, which is why they patched out the censoring.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 Month): Defending sexualization of minors.
I think the argument there was the way its depicted, as its animated and doesn't involve real humans.

Just pointing out that certain kinds are legal, and it is because of US and Japan. US because of first amendment and for 'cultural' reasons in Japan. And while i see no value in it, i dont call or imply people who support first amendment rights pedo enablers or what ever.

It is complicated, like should a person support repeal of first amendment because that might be what is needed to get the UN proposals enacted? What would be the pros and cons?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean DMC V exists, but I was more refering to Nintendo's past focus on being family friendly. The Binding of Isaac was rejected by Nintendo before because of the religious themes, but with the turn around it was a launch game for switch. Painting censorship as only an issue in regards to "creepy weeb shit" is not true and I would hope most people would be able to make the distinction. Everyone should be fine with the removal of loli type sexualization
Yeah removing loli stuff I'm fine with.

The reason I have been against the Sony stuff was how vague whatever rules they apparently have are leading to stuff like the DMCV debacle were either they tried to censor it or there rules are so vague even the developers don't know exactly what's allowed. That's why I ultimately said leave it to the ESRB.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, it's not a good example. If you have to go back 25 years for an example, you don't have one. That doesn't apply today.

A few years ago Nintendo didn't allow Binding of Isaac on the 3DS for example.

This is kinda silly anyway. The industry (at least the console side) works based on the guidelines set by the ratings boards which are controlled by their respective trade associations. For better or worse, the ESRB/PEGI/CERO set the standards by which games are judged. Relying on those ratings boards for their approval processes has its benefits because it removes arbitrariness and makes the process more transparent and easier for everyone involved. The downside is sadly that there will always be edge cases like this where games with sexualization of minors manage to slip through. This is doubly apparent in the case of Sony, who still accepts games with loli pedo bait on their system but has an awful system with dubious results. Or we can take Steam as an example where ratings boards have very little influence which is why full of straight up depraved shit that they aren't appropriately equipped to deal with. So far the entire industry has failed to address this issue in a comprehensive way but right now the ratings boards are the most reliable way to ensure a fair approval process.

Oct 28, 2017
Just pointing out that certain kinds are legal, and it is because of US and Japan. US because of first amendment and for 'cultural' reasons in Japan. And while i see no value in it, i dont call or imply people who support first amendment rights pedo enablers or what ever.

It is complicated, like should a person support repeal of first amendment because that might be what is needed to get the UN proposals enacted? What would be the pros and cons?

Not an Americlap but I'm pretty sure the first amendment can't be used as an excuse to allow paedo content to exist. Are paedophiles a protected category? Just look at what happened to NAMBLA. They were trying to push a specific viewpoint that wasn't explicitly about enabling paedophilia but their end-goals obviously were that. If such video game content was seen to be softening society to something like paedophilia, I can see it being easily barred.

Japan is the difficult one but your average salaryman there isn't knee-deep in loli shit and will be offended by it. Its still a subculture over there.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A few years ago Nintendo didn't allow Binding of Isaac on the 3DS for example.

This is kinda silly anyway. The industry (at least the console side) works based on the guidelines set by the ratings boards which are controlled by their respective trade associations. For better or worse, the ESRB/PEGI/CERO set the standards by which games are judged. Relying on those ratings boards for their approval processes has its benefits because it removes arbitrariness and makes the process more transparent and easier for everyone involved. The downside is sadly that there will always be edge cases like this where games with sexualization of minors manage to slip through. This is doubly apparent in the case of Sony, who still accepts games with loli pedo bait on their system but has an awful system with dubious results. Or we can take Steam as an example where ratings boards have very little influence which is why full of straight up depraved shit that they aren't appropriately equipped to deal with. So far the entire industry has failed to address this issue in a comprehensive way but right now the ratings boards are the most reliable way to ensure a fair approval process.

It's worth noting that the game that seemed to be a catalyst for all of this, Omega Labyrinth Z, got attention because several European rating boards refused it classification and the BBFC wrote a particularly scathing summary.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

When we're talking about pedophilia? 100%

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
oh my god! who decides that?

Who decides what? That scene being fan service is a fact.

If you're okay with it, that's fine. I'm not against fan service myself and wouldn't call for that scene to be censored.

But if "but they censored the nude woman that was only in the game for fan service in the first place" is one of your examples of a company going too far with censorship, I'm not sure your argument holds much water.

There is no major issue here. There is no slippery slope. Everything is fine.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Not an Americlap but I'm pretty sure the first amendment can't be used as an excuse to allow paedo content to exist.
Here's the US reply. In short, they were against the ban because it doesn't depict real children in the drawings, and doing so would be against the 1st amendment.
In the United States, federal law states that it is illegal to create, own, or distribute a visual representation of any kind, including a drawing, cartoon, sculpture or painting depicting a minor involved in sexually explicit conduct that is obscene. However, visual representations (CGI, anime, etc.) where there is no "real" child are typically protected by the First Amendment (unless visual representations are obscene) and by US obligations under the ICCPR. We urge you to edit the paragraph as follows: "... urges States parties to prohibit by law, in accordance with their national legal systems, child sexual abuse material in any form .... including when this material represents realistic depictions of non-existent children. "

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you're okay with it, that's fine. I'm not against fan service myself and wouldn't call for that scene to be censored.

But if "but they censored the nude woman that was only in the game for fan service in the first place" is one of your examples of a company going too far with censorship, I'm not sure your argument holds much water.

i 100% disagree with that. i don't see censoring fan-service in DMC5 being an extension of sony's policy on anime games and therefore also good.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Didn't you just say that the scene shouldn't have been there to begin with? There's an argument for these other games actually being harmful, but there isn't one for the dmcv scene except for some people considering it embarrassing. Sony turning into that kind of moral police is what has people worried

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
it's wild that "anime tits" were brought up at a shareholders meeting.

for those who don't know, freedom of speech just means anime tits, it's just another word for people too afraid of saying the quiet part loud

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's worth noting that the game that seemed to be a catalyst for all of this, Omega Labyrinth Z, got attention because several European rating boards refused it classification and the BBFC wrote a particularly scathing summary.

I am not familiar with any of these games but I always find it amusing when one of them gets a pass and one doesn't. I have a hard time imagining how much worse Omega Labyrinth has to be than what I've seen of Senran Kagura.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Didn't you just say that the scene shouldn't have been there to begin with?

Right, it wasn't needed. It was obvious fan service.

I'm not going to like... start a whole thing about it. I play Fire Emblem Heroes so I can't get too upset with fan service. I'm just saying that using blatant fan service as an example of "but censorship" is kind of silly when the scene is dumb anyway.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am not familiar with any of these games but I always find it amusing when one of them gets a pass and one doesn't. I have a hard time imagining how much worse Omega Labyrinth has to be than what I've seen of Senran Kagura.

I've not played either but the Video Standards Council summary(not the BBFC as I previously stated) outlines just how messed up Omega Labyrinth Z is.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Right, it wasn't needed. It was obvious fan service.

I'm not going to like... start a whole thing about it. I play Fire Emblem Heroes so I can't get too upset with fan service. I'm just saying that using blatant fan service as an example of "but censorship" is kind of silly when the scene is dumb anyway.
That can be said about a lot of things that were censored in the past like violence or religious symbols. None of that is truly needed but that doesn't mean that people should just be fine with that

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
With how many under 18 players of COD there is, I think we can assume that rating board is not working.
I am not Ok with censorship at all. But editor need to be clear : if your game is about under age almost naked girls, say it and put a big sticker on the box.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Sony is enforcing changes on Japan only games so it's not just localisation.
devs are forced by sony to make changes in JP versions of their games as well.

I mean...I'm fine with that? That doesn't affect most people since only a very small amount of people even import? And I'm pretty sure I'd agree with whatever games they've toned down since they probably get super creepy in regards to young characters?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Then why did they remove most of the religious references typical of the Xeno-series from Xenoblade 2?
Huh, Xeno 2 has plenty of religious references its just dressed becauae the game happens in a fantasy world.
One of the main villains on it and the prequel dlc is an evil pope
images

If this is about the titan names the localized ones are much cooler

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
devs are forced by sony to make changes in JP versions of their games as well.

Hopefully this cuts down on the ridiculous amounts of sexualization of minors in certain Japanese games and forces some cultural momentum. Though it's an uphill battle, if you've ever been to Akihabara you'll know that the otaku culture is very ingrained with stuff like this. There are shops dedicated to selling nude or near-nude figurines of anime/game characters, many of which are that are definitely not of age, and doujinshi stores stelling fanmade hentai based on those properties etc.

Oct 25, 2017
The parental controls app is pretty good, more parents should know about it tbh. I set it up for my parents for my younger sister's Switch and it's nice to be able to see what she's playing, how long, be able to restrict playtime if necessary, etc.

I would've hated it as a kid though, lol.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Knowing Nintendo's past, I'm glad this is their current stance.

AFAIK it's been their stance since the ESRB was founded in the mid 90s. It's kinda crazy that the image created by Nintendo's 80s and early 90s policies is still alive today, when Sony is the one with the record of censoring third party games (going back as far as BMX XXX on PS2 if not earlier).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long they censoring sexualize minor looking characters I don't mind and not let "1000 year dragon" BS slip

Status
Not open for further replies.