• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
glad to hear this. while there are questionable content that passes through the cracks of rating boards, i strongly believe that it shouldn't be the job of 1st party platform holders and any regulation and censorship should come from the rating boards.

Agree. Also as a european i don't wan't stuff changed because of Sony Californias feelings which think they are more capable and wise than professional rating boards. Not that i care about the games that are affected either way, but it shouldn't be judged by Sony or Nintendo themselves (except from their own games).

Also the changes don't make dubious games less problematic. A girl in swimmsuits or a girl clothed in lightrays where you don't even see the swimmsuit, which makes them look even more naked in some cases..... Imo they should forbid those games entirely on their platform if they think the content is that wrong, and the age and look of the girls isn't changed by lightrays or fog either...

Then why did they remove most of the religious references typical of the Xeno-series from Xenoblade 2?

I guess that wasn't really censorship, christianity isn't as exotic in europe or the US like in japan so they went with greek etc. symbols that are at least a bit more exotic. Elysium or Paradise stand for the same thing either way and i'm happy they went with the more exotic sounding elysium, not because i would be outraged if they used christian symbols, it just would be more boring, at least for me. It's still religion content and imo suits better for a fantasy world.

Also they make decisions around how they want their own games to be rated, or be seen, they just don't want to force their own feelings on 3rd parties when there are better organisations to judge content.

I wish for more variation in clothes in the next Xenoblade and more blood if people are stabbed etc., the one thing in Xenoblade 2 they tried to avoid is blood and that was a dumb decision imo. They probably feared they could loose the "Ab 12" rating.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that when Nintendo was the one censoring, it was "out of touch" and "anti 3rd party". Now that Sony is the one doing the censoring it's cool and Nintendo is a POS for allowing such content, when there are parental controls and content rating agencies available.

Selective reading at its best.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
You guys don't get that it's not about the censored content but about the censorship itself. We have already seen (At the very least some of us have) what happens when you give a platform holder such amount of control.
So are you suggesting that Sony should not sell these sort of games all together? I wonder how the "fan service" defense force would feel about that.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the industry at large seems to be unwilling or woefully incapable of doing anything substantial about the issue.
Nintendo is pointing to the ratings boards who are basically ignoring it, Sony has weird, intransparent guidelines and methods that lead to hilarious shit like this (NSFW image) and Steam/Valve let almost everything on their store.
It's kinda hilarious how people are upholding Sony as a bastion of content curation when things like this still happen. It makes it pretty transparent that Sony doesn't really care that much about actually enforcing contextual censorship beyond just saying that they do so that some heat can be taken off of them, given that the context can already be inferred from the barebones depiction of convenient god rays. "Let's just say we have a policy against anime titty and hope devs don't include it". Comes across as really shallow.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
You guys don't get that it's not about the censored content but about the censorship itself.

Censorship is not always bad.

Also, it's self-censorship. No one is forcing them.

We have already seen (At the very least some of us have) what happens when you give a platform holder such amount of control.

No one is "giving" the platform holder control. They already have it. It's their platform.

And could you please give multiple examples of what you're talking about?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you agree with Sony's intention wanting to cut down on underage sexualisation(which you know, you probably definitely should) there's enough reports by now of lacking communication(everything requiring submission in English), arbitrary decisions and the impact of delays and cancellations to merit criticism of their method. Note how Furukawa specifically mentions "choosing arbitrarily".

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys don't get that it's not about the censored content but about the censorship itself. We have already seen (At the very least some of us have) what happens when you give a platform holder such amount of control.
The "amount of control" to decide that they don't want nude or half naked underage-looking anime characters on their platform? Yeah, I hope they keep that "amount of control".
There are people, that are actually upset that this pedo stuff got some mist covering it on the PS4 version?
I know right?

Jun 2, 2019
That is a slippery slope fallacy.

Is it? Look, I'm in no way happy with the proliferation of pedo shit in the media, but I also grew up receiving pre-censored games from an overly righteous American Nintendo division that censored fucking statues in Castlevania IV. I don't trust Sony on not following the same path.

There are rating boards, reach them, ask them to add new labels, to be more severe. Is there a game that includes pedo shit? Let it be rated AO and subsequently get them to change the content, just don't let that responsability to a platform holder (even less if they're American) they'll take the ball, come up with stupid rules and force the other kids play like they want or get the fuck out.

Oct 28, 2017
If anyone wants to see an example of the kind of raving mad lunatic that Nintendo are buoying with this hands-off approach, go check out AnimuTidds on Twitter. Their account is obviously NSFW because its coated in barely clothed anime girls, but yeah, they're waging some weird basement dweller war against the fact sexually depicted underage kids are being removed from games, or being clothed up.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
while the ratings board is dropping the ball, the better option is to
a) sit on our hands and do nothing or
b) censor the pedo shit

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Is it? Look, I'm in no way happy with the proliferation of pedo shit in the media, but I also grew up receiving pre-censored games from an overly righteous American Nintendo division that censored fucking statues in Castlevania IV. I don't trust Sony on not following the same path.

There are rating boards, reach them, ask them to add new labels, to be more severe. Is there a game that includes pedo shit? Let it be rated AO and subsequently get them to change the content, just don't let that responsability to a platform holder (even less if they're American) they'll take the ball, come up with stupid rules and force the other kids play like they want or get the fuck out.

Stop pretending that we need to GIVE the platform holder that ability. They already have it. It's THEIR platform. If it bothers you, boycott the platform.

And again, I asked you to give multiple modern examples of this...

We have already seen (At the very least some of us have) what happens when you give a platform holder such amount of control.

Still waiting.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Funny they have DOA on the site as an example; the game where Sony censored two Fan items... yet were totally okay with the infinitely even creepier VR mode.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
b) censor the pedo shit
they're not doing that. putting some smoke or light ray over that content doesn't change the fact that there's still underage (or underage-looking) characters being sexualized. sony's solution here is a whole lotta nothing. if they actually felt strongly about this they would deny those games from being published on their platform altogether.

Jun 2, 2019
No, it's not a good example. If you have to go back 25 years for an example, you don't have one. That doesn't apply today.

It doesn't? Or it just isn't valid for you because reasons?

It's still the same thing: A platform holder holding the power to unilaterally decide what's good and bad, in this case fully knowing that there are rating boards that can take care of it.

So far Sony is doing a good job, but for how long? I'd rather not having to ask that question

Oh and I'm a PC+Nintendo user so I'm boycotting Sony by default but I'd rather not go back to 25 years ago

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
None of the platform holders allow AO stuff on their stores, so they all censor, just like Walmart and movie theatre chains wont touch those products. It stops artists dead in their tracks.

I wonder if the tone of this thread would be different if it was violence being censored? I still don't get the disconnect between being okay with all manner of depraved and gross violent acts but being freaked out when a dude's Johnson is shown (Cobra Club).

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither platform holder currently has an appropriate policy in place for the types of games that should be censored on these systems (sexualizing underage characters). These types of games should be banned outright from the platforms, not lightly censored by the platform holder and not deferred to ratings boards that allow these types of games to slip through the cracks and not receive the AO rating they deserve (effectively banning them from release on any console).

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't mean they should allow weird pedo shit in games.
It's literally the ESRB's and such's job to define what is considered appropriate to put in a game.

If it gets the clear by them then it's enough for me. You got an issue with it take it up with them.

I don't play those games but I don't like the idea of companies stepping their foot into developers business.

If it's not breaking any laws then let it go.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
None of the platform holders allow AO stuff on their stores, so they all censor, just like Walmart and movie theatre chains wont touch those products. It stops artists dead in their tracks.

I wonder if the tone of this thread would be different if it was violence being censored? I still don't get the disconnect between being okay with all manner of depraved and gross violent acts but being freaked out when a dude's Johnson is shown.

We are not talking about dude's Johnsons but about kid's naked. No one give a fuck about butt naked guys and girls in, say, Wtach Dogs 2, because it's not doing it in a titilating way, and also because it's adults.

I also thing the same about violence btw. I find MK repulsive.

is it? i still see the sexualized characters, the creators intent hasn't changed just cuz there's some fog in the scene.

I mean it's not enough yeah, that pic should be out. But it's better than leave it untouched, even if it's not ideal.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It's literally the ESRB's and such's job to define what is considered appropriate to put in a game.

If it gets the clear by them then it's enough for me. You got an issue with it take it up with them.

I don't play those games but I don't like the idea of companies stepping their foot into developers business.

If it's not braking any laws then let it go.

Wow.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Neither platform holder currently has an appropriate policy in place for the types of games that should be censored on these systems (sexualizing underage characters). These types of games should be banned outright from the platforms, not lightly censored by the platform holder and not deferred to ratings boards that allow these types of games to slip through the cracks and not receive the AO rating they deserve (effectively banning them from release on any console).

They should also remove any anime services from their platforms, which might be hard for sony considering they own one.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Nice contribution. Clearly you had nothing but best intentions when you quoted me earlier.

There's not much more to say to you.

Just because it's the ESRB's job to rate games doesn't mean that a platform holder can't make their own decisions about underage girls in their video games.

And if you're okay with that being in a game just because the ESRB gives it "the clear," that's weird. It's wrong, period.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Putting a bit of mist or light onto the screen so it looks the character in question is naked while they are actually dressed in underwear for example, isn't an improvement.
they're not doing that. putting some smoke or light ray over that content doesn't change the fact that there's still underage (or underage-looking) characters being sexualized. sony's solution here is a whole lotta nothing. if they actually felt strongly about this they would deny those games from being published on their platform altogether.
ok but literally anything is better than nothing

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's not much more to say to you.

Just because it's the ESRB's job to rate games doesn't mean that a platform holder can't make their own decisions about underage girls in their video games.

And if you're okay with that being in a game just because the ESRB gives it "the clear," that's weird. It's wrong, period.
I mean yeah ultimately it is up to them. It's not like I'm boycotting Sony. Just prefer they leave the content be decided by the people who's actual job that is to decide what is appropriate to sell and what it should be rated.

I just don't want the risk of something like early 90's Nintendo again. You can call it a slippery slope and I'm just paranoid but that wasn't a period I enjoyed.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
We are not talking about dude's Johnsons but about kid's naked. No one give a fuck about naked guys and girls in, say, Wtach Dogs 2, because it's not doing it in a titilating way, and also because it's adults.

I also thing the same about violence btw. I find MK repulsive.

I mean it's not enough yeah, that pic should be out. But it's better than leave it untouched, even if it's not ideal.

There is genitalia in a ubisoft game? And no AO rating? Hilarious.

We are talking about censorship and not allowing AO games on a platform is censoring those games. Artists have to self censor what they can create or their games will be banned. So i am just pointing out that every console platform holder already does this, so dropping other types of games would be nothing new.

Oct 28, 2017

I wonder if the tone of this thread would be different if it was violence being censored? I still don't get the disconnect between being okay with all manner of depraved and gross violent acts but being freaked out when a dude's Johnson is shown (Cobra Club).

Society sees violence as OK, as it can be used as a means to an end, depending on the situation. Its not called the police force because they convince you to stop your criminal acts, for instance. However, sexual content involving minors will probably never be acceptable as its widely seen as disgusting, with no situation where it can be seen as OK to allow.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I dont think thats fair to anyone. Youre taking a specific example and then pretending like thats the only type of thing that gets rejected or censored. Nintendo was the same company that rejected the binding of Isaac for not being family friendly enough. Ultimately what this policy means is that we will presented with the raw games and most people should be intelligent enough to figure out what they are willing to support.
But creppy weeb shit is literally the only thing Sony has "censored"

Oct 25, 2017
As long as Nintendo isn't forcing devs to resubmit their content for review despite passing existing regulation. In a foreign language. With little to no support for smaller developers to guide through the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.