• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a really tough call, but...I would personally say the first six months of 2020 are slightly better than the first half of 2019.

If you're into Animal Crossing and RPGs, then the first half of the year is really enjoyable.

I don't like Animal Crossing but if Xenoblade is H1 then that works for me. I've still got to play Luigi's Mansion 3 before I start TMS.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
Nintendo could release nothing after Animal Crossing and I'd be satisfied.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about how Tokyo Mirage Sessions is gonna flop hard again and how this is a spinoff crossover from 2 separate franchises that on their own are reasonably popular and yet they wound up making a product so unappealing to the broader market. The game itself is not without quality, it's just a little surprising how they failed to capture the majority of either fanbase it seems. Twice.
I wonder if the game would've been better off as it's own IP or just being another SMT spin off.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions deserves to flop in Europe. Fuck Nintendo and/or Atlus for not translating the game to pal5.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
It's a really tough call, but...I would personally say the first six months of 2020 are slightly better than the first half of 2019.

If you're into Animal Crossing and RPGs, then the first half of the year is really enjoyable.

Ah. That makes sense, this year is more diverse than last year. Last year was a bunch of Mario platformers (NSMBU, Yoshi, Mario Maker) and that was about it.

Since Lintemuth-Studios is getting piled on, maybe I can help.

Animal Crossing absolutely isn't niche - but neither is it the type of game that excites the 'core' gaming base, including much of the games media. Zelda, on the other hand, is the Nintendo brand that tends to have the biggest splash in the 'core' gaming base and across the more conventional gaming media outlets. That's the distinction between the two series - it's one of which audience gets more excited over it, but that doesn't remotely make Animal Crossing niche. While New Horizons is going to be big, it's a fair question as to whether or not it's going to outsell Breath of the Wild. Remember - we live in a world where Breath of the Wild's lifetime sales could end up higher than 3D Mario. That's how much of a beast BotW is.

Maybe 'effectively' is the wrong word, but you did say 20 million plus. You also claimed New Horizons would "handily outsell" Breath of the Wild's combined total. BotW's lifetime total is going to end up somewhere in the low 20 millions - to "handily outsell" that means New Horizons has to clear that sales bar by a not-insignificant number. The end-point of that is that New Horizons won't just have to do 20 million plus, but will have to do somewhere over 25 million if it's going to perform as strongly as you claim. I see you've expanded your original comment - New Horizons is still going to have sell 22 million at an absolute minimum to have that 2-3 million margin over Breath of the Wild. This is far from a sure conclusion and I say that as someone who is bullish about New Horizons' sales prospects.

I fully expect New Horizons will outsell the overwhelming majority of Zelda titles - the only one I'm not sure it will outsell is Breath of the Wild, which is a monster sales-wise.

Thanks for the help, I was struggling to put my feelings into words. You phrased it perfectly.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I felt last year was solid enough with NSMBU, Yoshi, Maker 2 and Labo VR. A little heavy on the platformers, but eh. I suppose this year will have TMS, Myster Dungeon, AC, Xenoblade and Pikmin 3, which is leaps and bounds better than 2019(imo of course).

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
While its community is not well represented on this or other general gaming sites, people who like AC are often ride or die for it, and many don't even play other games. There is a very significant number of people who will buy a Switch just or primarily for Animal Crossing - possibly moreso than any other Switch game.

This isn't to say it's for everyone, or you have to like it, or you can't be disappointed with Q1, but I would argue it has a fanbase as dedicated, rabid, and speculative as Smash Bros. - in other words, they are satisfying a big base for a long time, even if not every base at once.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Emily is there any Direct hope you can give us?

I have people asking me to put Team MARCH in the poll now :(

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Animal Crossing absolutely isn't niche - but neither is it the type of game that excites the 'core' gaming base, including much of the games media. Zelda, on the other hand, is the Nintendo brand that tends to have the biggest splash in the 'core' gaming base and across the more conventional gaming media outlets. That's the distinction between the two series - it's one of which audience gets more excited over it, but that doesn't remotely make Animal Crossing niche. While New Horizons is going to be big, it's a fair question as to whether or not it's going to outsell Breath of the Wild. Remember - we live in a world where Breath of the Wild's lifetime sales could end up higher than 3D Mario. That's how much of a beast BotW is.

Maybe 'effectively' is the wrong word, but you did say 20 million plus. You also claimed New Horizons would "handily outsell" Breath of the Wild's combined total. BotW's lifetime total is going to end up somewhere in the low 20 millions - to "handily outsell" that means New Horizons has to clear that sales bar by a not-insignificant number. The end-point of that is that New Horizons won't just have to do 20 million plus, but will have to do somewhere over 25 million if it's going to perform as strongly as you claim. I see you've expanded your original comment - New Horizons is still going to have sell 22 million at an absolute minimum to have that 2-3 million margin over Breath of the Wild. This is far from a sure conclusion and I say that as someone who is bullish about New Horizons' sales prospects.

I fully expect New Horizons will outsell the overwhelming majority of Zelda titles - the only one I'm not sure it will outsell is Breath of the Wild, which is a monster sales-wise.

Okay, I'll be more precise then.
I expect BOTW's switch sales to end up at around 18 millions lifetime (depending on when BOTW2 released). I think New Horizons on Switch will outsell that number by a couple millions lifetime.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, not really surprised Nintendo is taking 2020 a little bit more slowly thus far and sort of resting on DLC/ports/third parties since 2019 was just an absolute banger of a year for Nintendo first party titles. A lot of their development studios have been tapped, so I'm sort of expecting them to hold off with a Q1 General Direct basically until March to guarantee they have as much as possible to show. They can show off more specific DLC stuff and Animal Crossing on their own to tide us over.
That's the thing, though, Nintendo's internal teams aren't tapped at all, since the only games they really put out last year were Maker 2 and RFA. There's tons of surprises we have waiting for us the next few years.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

Animal Crossing absolutely isn't niche - but neither is it the type of game that excites the 'core' gaming base, including much of the games media. Zelda, on the other hand, is the Nintendo brand that tends to have the biggest splash in the 'core' gaming base and across the more conventional gaming media outlets.\

Thats just our gaming-Era Bubble. Go to twitter or facebook... Animal Crossing always has a huge impact.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

These are good arguments but Animal Crossing is still one of the biggest gaming IP's there is internationally. The game has effectively sold over ten million units for handheld systems as long as it has existed. Switch is an absolute beast when it comes to software sales and almost every single game has broken records on the system with the exception of some insane Wii and DS numbers.

The game absolutely has a chance of selling better than Breathe of the Wild and being after Mario Kart / Pokémon the best selling IP in the entire system. Switch may be a system for more "hardcore" players than DS or Wii, but the appeal of this game is still there for millions and millions of players. It is nothing short of an actual system seller.

I'll say that 15 million is bare minimum that it will hit and if I had to venture a guess it'll boost the hardware sales for the spring especially on the Switch Lite and will end up over 20 million in lifetime sales.

case study: If one was to read sales of Pokémon Sword and Shield from dedicated video game forums before the release you could have easily thought it will absolutely bomb in sales. Thus far it seems it'll be the best selling Pokémon game in quite a while. This bubble is not an indicator and Animal Crossing definitely gets the media attention from both mainstream video gaming sites and publications as well as otherwise.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 2019's H2 was absolutely packed with monster RPGs. We had DQXIS, Divinity OS2, The Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity... I feel like 2020's H1 probably can't compare to that (maybe it can on the JRPG side I guess?).

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Thats just our gaming-Era Bubble. Go to twitter or facebook... Animal Crossing always has a huge impact.
Seriously. Before Smash reveal, every Nintendo Direct's chat had people saying "Smash ?!", once it got revealed it turned into "Animal Crossing ?!"
Animal Crossing is huge. It's not just a casual thing. Nintendo fans love Animal Crossing.
Talking about how Animal Crossing can be seen as a non major release is such an uneducated discussion.
People don't like it and are disappointed there's no games they might like in Q1 ? Fine, it happens, I understand, sorry for you all. People say Q1 is shit because there's no major release ? Nah get out of here.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I expect BOTW's switch sales to end up at around 18 millions lifetime (depending on when BOTW2 released). I think New Horizons on Switch will outsell that number by a couple millions lifetime.
And with respect, you're still wrong. Breath of the Wild was at 16 million (minimum) at the end of September - 14.54 million Switch, 1.5 million plus on Wii U. Breath of the Wild is easily going to exceed 18 million lifetime. Not only has it had another Christmas quarter on sale (meaning actual LTD sales are probably 17 million at minimum), it has, as far as we know, most of a calendar year without the sequel on the market in which to sell. I'd guess, based on current trends, BotW sells another 2 million units (at least) in 2020. It sold roughly 1.8 million units in the six months from April 2019 through to September 2019.

You'vey underestimated BotW's sales when you've made this prediction. I agree New Horizons could be massive on Switch, but outselling Breath of the Wild's combined total is still a big ask.
Yes, I was referring to that. I acknowledged Animal Crossing is a big franchise. I specifically said 'core' in inverted commas to point out that Zelda and Animal Crossing generate hype and excitement in different (albeit somewhat overlapping) audiences.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And with respect, you're still wrong. Breath of the Wild was at 16 million (minimum) at the end of September - 14.54 million Switch, 1.5 million plus on Wii U. Breath of the Wild is easily going to exceed 18 million lifetime. Not only has it had another Christmas quarter on sale (meaning actual LTD sales are probably 17 million at minimum), it has, as far as we know, most of a calendar year without the sequel on the market in which to sell. I'd guess, based on current trends, BotW sells another 2 million units (at least) in 2020. It sold roughly 1.8 million units in the six months from April 2019 through to September 2019.

You'vey underestimated BotW's sales when you've made this prediction. I agree New Horizons could be massive on Switch, but outselling Breath of the Wild's combined total is still a big ask.

Yes, I was referring to that. I acknowledged Animal Crossing is a big franchise. I specifically said 'core' in inverted commas to point out that Zelda and Animal Crossing generate hype and excitement in different (albeit somewhat overlapping) audiences.

I said, on my second post, BOTW's "switch sales".

I also can't possibly be "wrong" on a prediction of something that didn't happen yet.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
AC is going to be huge. There are people waiting to buy a Switch for this game. There are people who bought a Switch but won't really start using it until AC.

I have no idea if BotW or AC will outsell the other but both have massive appeal for their own reasons.

There are people in this thread talking about how AC is "Chore the Video Game" and that makes it niche while ignoring the fact that the biggest games in the world this generation past are literally built to be "Chore the Video Game".

I'm not saying AC is a Nintendo take of GaaS but, short of microtransactions, that is exactly what it is designed to be.

Shoot, the current GaaS model was probably inspired by past AC-style games in some round-about way.

To say it another way: AC is Nintendo's The Sims.

It ain't my kind of game just as The Sims isn't my game or even as Looter-Shooters, Minecraft, MMOs, or Sports Titles aren't my game.

That doesn't mean I ignore the fact that those games are each huge for their respective audiences.

So yeah, AC is gonna sell millions upon millions.

So will BotW 2.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
Honestly I feel like the Animal Crossing fanbase on Era is underrepresented. There's many times I'm thirsty for more hardcore AC discussion but it usually comes and goes very quickly after a direct. I guess I just don't know where to look for it here.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
If one was to read sales of Pokémon Sword and Shield from dedicated video game forums before the release you could have easily thought it will absolutely bomb in sales. Thus far it seems it'll be the best selling Pokémon game in quite a while. This bubble is not an indicator and Animal Crossing definitely gets the media attention from both mainstream video gaming sites and publications as well as otherwise.
I'm not denying that New Horizons should be huge commercially - I've said I expect New Horizons to be a big hit and I'd agree that 15 million or more is extremely likely. The Sword/Shield analogy is a good one, I think. But even if New Horizons experiences substantial growth, it's still a tough ask to outsell the LTD sales of the very top Switch titles. I think it's going to be in the top 5 lifetime hits, certainly. My main point was that a huge chunk of the gaming press treat Zelda and Animal Crossing differently - not that Animal Crossing is in anyway a small or unimportant game.
I said, on my second post, BOTW's "switch sales".

I also can't possibly be "wrong" on a prediction of something that didn't happen yet.
So you're saying BotW Switch will top out at 18 million, and New Horizons will sell 20-21 million, to be clear? That's likelier than New Horizons outselling BotW's combined sales, to be sure - but the Switch version of BotW is shifting 900k in non-holiday quarters, so even 18 million LTD looks low. 14.54 million as of September 2019 means sales are already heading towards (and might be over) 16 million LTD on Switch. As other people have demonstrated, the launch of a sequel isn't necessarily a natural cut-off point for Breath of the Wild's sales. It's going to keep selling over the remainder of the Switch's lifespan, even though that 900k per quarter rate will slow. It only has to sell a little more than 2 million over the next few years to beat your estimate.

I will say this though: it's nuts that we can talk about Animal Crossing potentially doubling its audience while being certain that a Zelda title will top out at over 20 million lifetime. Switch is a monster.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I'm excited for Animal Crossing to be released... so that Nintendo can put those resources towards making something interesting. Hey-o!

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
Oohh, I see, you all got AC and Metroid confused! It's an easy mistake to make TBF.

METROID absolutely isn't niche - but neither is it the type of game that excites the 'GENERAL' gaming base, including much of the games media. ANIMAL CROSSING, on the other hand, is the Nintendo brand that tends to have the biggest splash in the 'GENERAL' gaming base and across the more conventional gaming media outlets. That's the distinction between the two series - it's one of which audience gets more excited over it, but that doesn't remotely make METROID niche. While METROID 5 is going to be big, it's a fair question as to whether or not it's going to outsell Breath of the Wild. Remember - we live in a world where Breath of the Wild's lifetime sales could end up higher than 3D Mario. That's how much of a beast BotW is.

(No malignity intended towards any user, it's just for fun)

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying BotW Switch will top out at 18 million, and New Horizons will sell 20-21 million, to be clear? That's likelier than New Horizons outselling BotW's combined sales, to be sure - but the Switch version of BotW is shifting 900k in non-holiday quarters, so even 18 million LTD looks low. 14.54 million as of September 2019 means sales are already heading towards (and might be over) 16 million LTD on Switch. As other people have demonstrated, the launch of a sequel isn't necessarily a natural cut-off point for Breath of the Wild's sales. It's going to keep selling over the remainder of the Switch's lifespan, even though that 900k per quarter rate will slow. It only has to sell a little more than 2 million over the next few years to beat your estimate.

I will say this though: it's nuts that we can talk about Animal Crossing potentially doubling its audience while being certain that a Zelda title will top out at over 20 million lifetime. Switch is a monster.

Well I made this prediction with the release of BOTW2 being this fall and with the natural decline of legs factoring in as more games are released. It wasn't that deep of a prediction but a general indication of where the games will land based on current metrics.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people around these parts genuinely aren't aware of how massive Animal Crossing is.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Judging by the current sales, we're at 15 million by now. It would have to sell 3 million in four years (it would still be on shelves for a little while after the Switch 2 launches). It's been selling at five million a year thus far, and I don't see it hitting a giant brick wall any time soon.

It'll sell 20 million easily.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
I'm not denying that New Horizons should be huge commercially - I've said I expect New Horizons to be a big hit and I'd agree that 15 million or more is extremely likely. The Sword/Shield analogy is a good one, I think. But even if New Horizons experiences substantial growth, it's still a tough ask to outsell the LTD sales of the very top Switch titles. I think it's going to be in the top 5 lifetime hits, certainly. My main point was that a huge chunk of the gaming press treat Zelda and Animal Crossing differently - not that Animal Crossing is in anyway a small or unimportant game.

You have one very good point over the others, which I think is that BotW is selling absolutely bonkers. It is crushing the previous Zelda sales left and right and it has legs of a early 90's supermodel and modern speed skater combined.

If Animal Crossing doesn't end up selling better than Zelda than that to me will be greatness of BotW.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Based on the words of Emily, is it safe to say XC remake will be in first half?
Nintendo rarely announces a game far in advance these days -- Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3 being an exception. XC Remake was announced in September and dated 2020. The expectation has been late Spring/early Summer since it was revealed. It serves their interest to launch it before or immediately after E3.

Plus, plenty of retailers have been dating it for late May in recent weeks.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Unfortunately many people don't care about all the quality indie games that come out at a regular pace. They just want to see the giant AAA tent pole games.
And here I am, glad that the Switch has found its own place within the market without relying on many of these dull, formulaic AAA games from third parties that are as reliable as a fart in the wind.
Feels good, lol.

Aside from that, Indies are appreciated a lot on Switch. Sure, most people still buy the bigger titles, but some of these million seller Nindie stories show that the fanbase has defined and varied taste in games, which is great.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm kind of lost with this Animal Crossing discussion. If you think the game is shit, and if that's the only major game in first half of 2020, then the first half lineup is also shit. Not hard to comprehend.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo rarely announces a game far in advance these days -- Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3 being an exception. XC Remake was announced in September and dated 2020. The expectation has been late Spring/early Summer since it was revealed. It serves their interest to launch it before or immediately after E3.

Plus, plenty of retailers have been dating it for late May in recent weeks.
Honestly the growing retailer leaks for XCDE is honestly one of the biggest signs of a direct coming soon I think

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't get Animal Crossing mixed up by what the gaming media says or this place. If you go by this place you'd think Animal Crossing was a niche series. The Animal Crossing series topics get very little post. It's a series that speaks outside of Nintendo. There's a huge audience it speaks to not here. And GOTY don't mean shit. All these gaming media websites only care about the huge AAA titles or would only consider Mario, Zelda or Metroid for "GOTY" when it comes to Nintendo. They all blow over Animal Crossing saying "oh it's going to be a delightful little game" or what not.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Don't get Animal Crossing mixed up by what the gaming media says or this place. If you go by this place you'd think Animal Crossing was a niche series. The Animal Crossing series topics get very little post. It's a series that speaks outside of Nintendo. There's a huge audience it speaks to not here. And GOTY don't mean shit. All these gaming media websites only care about the huge AAA titles or would only consider Mario, Zelda or Metroid for "GOTY" when it comes to Nintendo. They all blow over Animal Crossing saying "oh it's going to be a delightful little game" or what not.
Absolutely right - it doesn't get the same kind of coverage Zelda does, but that doesn't make Animal Crossing unimportant or small or low quality or whatever else might be thrown at it. I personally wasn't making that point, even if some users seem to think that's what I was saying - New Horizons is going to be a big success despite the different coverage it generates. I'm at the center of the Venn diagram for people who are excited about Animal Crossing and potentially Zelda launching in 2020. And Emily saying it'll be a good first half for RPG fans has me more excited.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
As long as people don't claim Metroid to be a bigger franchise than AC, it's all fine.

They don't, right? Riiight?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely right - it doesn't get the same kind of coverage Zelda does, but that doesn't make Animal Crossing unimportant or small or low quality or whatever else might be thrown at it. I personally wasn't making that point, even if some users seem to think that's what I was saying - New Horizons is going to be a big success despite the different coverage it generates. I'm at the center of the Venn diagram for people who are excited about Animal Crossing and potentially Zelda launching in 2020. And Emily saying it'll be a good first half for RPG fans has me more excited.
Right. Zelda gets huge coverage in the gaming industry because of what it is and the appeal it has to core gaming/websites. Animal Crossing fans ain't coming to these websites to read articles. They're not those dedicated fans like you and I. BotW will sell huge 20 million or so and Animal Crossing could have that potential too.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
As long as people don't claim Metroid to be a bigger franchise than AC, it's all fine.

They don't, right? Riiight?

I mean, most franchises aren't and I don't think people claim otherwise. I don't think it'll bring home a GOTY, but AC popularity is huge and appeals to all ages.

I much prefer Metroid, but I'm not convinced anyone has suggested a new entry would sell more copies than AC?

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
And here I am, glad that the Switch has found its own place within the market without relying on many of these dull, formulaic AAA games from third parties that are as reliable as a fart in the wind.
Feels good, lol.

Aside from that, Indies are appreciated a lot on Switch. Sure, most people still buy the bigger titles, but some of these million seller Nindie stories show that the fanbase has defined and varied taste in games, which is great.

My sentiments exactly. Many of my favorite games on the Switch have been indies. I didn't have a way to play them before (no PC) so it has been a breath of fresh air personally.

Also, today's "Indie" games would have been mainstream releases back in the day. Its the mindset that "AAA" = Quality that I dispute.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I mean, most franchises aren't and I don't think people claim otherwise. I don't think it'll bring home a GOTY, but AC popularity is huge and appeals to all ages.

I much prefer Metroid, but I'm not convinced anyone has suggested a new entry would sell more copies than AC?
Nah, don't think anyone did, was more or less joking.

AC doesn't need GOTY to be a great game, no game does. :)

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Well I made this prediction with the release of BOTW2 being this fall and with the natural decline of legs factoring in as more games are released. It wasn't that deep of a prediction but a general indication of where the games will land based on current metrics.
Well, let's hope New Horizons joins BotW in the 20 million club even if we disagree over who ends up ahead in the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
TMS and XCDE make the first half of 2020 vastly superior since the first half of 2019 only had Super Mario Maker 2 if you're completely honest (and that still wasn't as good as Dragon Quest Builders 2).

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

From what I can see, in order, in terms of exclusives (console, timed or not), not counting small titles that Nintendo didn't promote, but counting 3DS...

H1 2019:
- Fitness Boxing
- Mario & Luigi Bowser Inside remake (3DS)
- NSMBU
- Travis Strikes Again
- Etrian Odyssey Nexus (3DS)
- Tetris 99
- Kirby Extra Epic Yarn (3DS)
- Baba is You
- Yoshi's Crafted World
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes
- Labo VR
- Boxboy + Boxgirl
- Persona Q2 (3DS)
- Collection of Mana (old localization)
- Doraemon Story of Seasons
- Cadence of Hyrule
- Yo-kai Watch 4
- Mario Maker 2

+ a few old multiplat ports like Darksiders, Dragon's Dogma, Ace Attorney, FFX/XII, Saints Row 3, RE1/4/0, DMC1, etc, and a few "big" ports like MK11 and Cuphead.

H1 2020:
- Puzzle & Dragons Gold
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
- Snack World
- DMC3 SE (old port, but with added exclusive features)
- Persona 5 Scramble
- Uniclr
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake
- Animal Crossing
- Xenoblade 1 remake (assuming it's out by the end of June as speculated)
- first Pokemon Sword/Shield DLC

+ a few old multiplat ports like Oddworld Stranger's Wrath, Metro Redux, Naruto Shippuden 4, etc, and a few "big" ports on time like Darksiders Genesis, Fairy tail, Doom 64, OPW4, Trials of Mana, Minecraft Dungeons, Panzer Dragoon remake. And The Outer Worlds (big port, but not on time).

I don't know tbh. 2019 had way more exclusives, but not as big, and less "big" ports. But it also more/bigger old multiplat ports (especially from Capcom), more RPGs if you count the 3DS, and a lot more indie timed exclusives (I didn't put them all here).
It's comparable tbh, just depends on your tastes. I wouldn't say those were remarkable first halves other than a few titles.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
My sentiments exactly. Many of my favorite games on the Switch have been indies. I didn't have a way to play them before (no PC) so it has been a breath of fresh air personally.

Also, today's "Indie" games would have been mainstream releases back in the day. Its the mindset that "AAA" = Quality that I dispute.
It's a breath of fresh air for sure and I love that there's room for blockbuster AAA stuff on some platforms, but also for more experimental and/or indie titles on others.

And I personally often think of Indies as those games I used to play on my GBA and such back in the day. Great games, mostly laser focused on a few things they incorporate in a great way, in that sense simple(r) compared to some bloated stuff, but highly enjoyable exactly because of that.
Lov'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.