Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I will join the prediction game. I am looking forward to the following release schedule (only exclusiv games obviously):

March: Animal Crossing, PKM MD Remake
April: Mario 3D World Plus
May: Xenoblade Remake, eShop-Title
June: Rhythm Heaven
July: Paper Mario Switch
August: Bravely Default 2, Rune Factory 5
September: Bayonetta 3, Deadly Premonition 2, Pikmin 3 Deluxe
October: Super Mario Party 2, 2D Metroid
November: New Game from MK-Team
December: nothing

In this scenario, I believe in Zippo that neither BotW 2 nor a new 3D-Mario will come this year. I think this would still be a good lineup for the whole year and for christmas season as well.

Not inside information. And please quit @ing me. Thank you.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Fox is kind of like Pikmin. They're always prototyping ideas and concepts.

I wish they were that loyal to F-Zero, lol.
Aside from Zelda and AC, Star Fox and Pikmin are next 2 favorite Nintendo properties. If I can get entries for both of those IPs on the Switch, I can die a very, very happy man.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The Switch doesn't need Star Fox Zero because it will get a better rail shooter in Sin and Punishment 3 by PlatinumGames ;)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I guess that they are now focusing more in games that demand more development time and resources. The second reason you mention is not so convincing to me, why would they prevent themselves from releasing games to not overshadow third-parties? I think the more games for the system the better, then it´s costumers choice. In fact, with more games and wider catalogue, more people will buy the system.

Nintendo has often been criticized for their games overshadowing third party offerings, and this has often been cited as a reason why it doesn't get many major third party titles. Whether or not it's true I'm not sure, but it would stand to reason that if Nintendo puts out more of their own games then there will be fewer consumer dollars to spend on third party games, since typically consumers buy Nintendo hardware primarily to play Nintendo games.

Now, they want more people buying their games obviously because that's more profit for them than people buying other publishers' games. But like I said it's a delicate balancing act between focusing on their own first party efforts and encouraging other publishers to put their games on their platform. You probably wouldn't be seeing the level of indie success we saw with the Switch if they had a huge VC catalog around on day one, for example.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I had a dream recently that a new F-Zero was the "one more thing" of the next direct and Miyamoto himself was the one to announce it

Maybe one day lol

Thingy about Speculation vs Inside Info
OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, Zippo's thoughts about a new game from the MK Team as well as BotW2 and next 3D Mario's release windows are purely speculation. Please stop treating them as inside info.

Anything insiders have said are inside info is included in the OP under "What's the Latest?" To help, there has not been a new rumor in over a week. So pretty much anything you've seen since then has just been speculation.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Nintendo has often been criticized for their games overshadowing third party offerings, and this has often been cited as a reason why it doesn't get many major third party titles. Whether or not it's true I'm not sure, but it would stand to reason that if Nintendo puts out more of their own games then there will be fewer consumer dollars to spend on third party games, since typically consumers buy Nintendo hardware primarily to play Nintendo games.

Now, they want more people buying their games obviously because that's more profit for them than people buying other publishers' games. But like I said it's a delicate balancing act between focusing on their own first party efforts and encouraging other publishers to put their games on their platform. You probably wouldn't be seeing the level of indie success we saw with the Switch if they had a huge VC catalog around on day one, for example.
I think that if a player prefers to buy a Nintendo videogame instead of a third party one is because its personal preferences or because the Nintendo videogame is better. At the end of the day, like in any other market, there is competition. Are third parties afraid to compete against Nintendo videogames? I think this is nonsense as I have never heard something remotely similar regarding Sony, for example.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I think that if a player prefers to buy a Nintendo videogame instead of a third party one is because its personal preferences or because the Nintendo videogame is better. At the end of the day, like in any other market, there is competition. Are third parties afraid to compete against Nintendo videogames? I think this is nonsense as I have never heard something remotely similar regarding Sony, for example.
At the end of the day, it would be pretty pathetic of the 3rd parties. But nowadays you just never know with some of those corporations, sadly enough.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch doesn't need Star Fox Zero because it will get a better rail shooter in Sin and Punishment 3 by PlatinumGames ;)

Let's face it, on rails shooter genre is dead. Newer generation of gamers want immersive games like Astral Chain or Nier Automata instead of pure arcade stuff, so best way for the older retronaut gamers to experience beloved on rail genre is the short segments in Yoko taro games like those. Hopefully we will get more of them in the future and everyone will be happy.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a new Star Fox is going to be made, they'll have to reinvent the franchise, similar to how Nintendo did with BOTW, FE and Kid Icarus. Classic Star Fox won't work this day and age anymore. They should borrow from stuff like No Man's Sky and Ace Combat 7. Star Fox 2 concept would definitively work for modern gaming standards.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Because Sony doesn't put out nearly as many first party titles as Nintendo does. They rely much more heavily on third parties specifically because of that.

Whereas Nintendo can and has carried their consoles alone, without third parties contributing meaningfully. So some third parties can see that ecosystem as more unfriendly to their types of games when the majority of consumers will naturally gravitate more towards the more numerous first party offerings.

I'm not sure how any of what I'm saying is controversial btw. It's been analyzed and discussed for decades when it comes to Nintendo.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
And also we came from 2017 having the Nintendo Switch Presentation, and 2018 having the Mini Direct in January.

At least this time we saw the possibility of a february direct coming. Last year we didn't predict that.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
It seems to me most don't want nAnimal Crossing Direct because...

1) They don't want any new features or aspects spoiled.

2) They don't care for AC and so want other info about new games.

3) For a game that has only a few small new iterative features typically. There's not much to cover in a full Direct dedicated to AC. When you could accomplish the same through some small trailers and social media post like they've already done.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Last year we knew about a ton of games coming out in that year (Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing (at the time), Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Daemon X Machina). This year we sorta hit a brick wall in terms of known stuff after Animal Crossing comes out (other than Xenoblade).

Usually I don't agree with you but this time I feel the same. This year feels worse to me because Animal Crossing aside we don't have big games announced.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It seems to me most don't want nAnimal Crossing Direct because...

1) They don't want any new features or aspects spoiled.

2) They don't care for AC and so want other info about new games.

3) For a game that has only a few small new iterative features typically. There's not much to cover in a full Direct dedicated to AC. When you could accomplish the same through some small trailers and social media post like they've already done.
People keep saying this but as far as I'm concerned the move to the island is pretty big honestly.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Last year we knew about a ton of games coming out in that year (Luigi's Mansion 3, Animal Crossing (at the time), Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Daemon X Machina). This year we sorta hit a brick wall in terms of known stuff after Animal Crossing comes out (other than Xenoblade).
Yeah but this time we have games other than Smash to play to make us wait.
I still haven't even bought Daemon X Machina.

To be fair, well I know it's because I love Animal Crossing, but I think other fans of Animal would agree with me, they could had gave us an Animal direct in january, and we would had been really happy to wait patiently until february for the general direct lol. Pokémon Direct + Smash presentation were really solid. Add an Animal Crossing Direct to that and I wouldn't even be thirsty for a direct right now.

Sure last year we knew that Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi were coming... But we also kinda wanted to see more about it. We had nothing for the whole january, and besides Smash, we didn't had a lot of meaty games in 2018.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Because Sony doesn't put out nearly as many first party titles as Nintendo does. They rely much more heavily on third parties specifically because of that.

Whereas Nintendo can and has carried their consoles alone, without third parties contributing meaningfully. So some third parties can see that ecosystem as more unfriendly to their types of games when the majority of consumers will naturally gravitate more towards the more numerous first party offerings.

I'm not sure how any of what I'm saying is controversial btw. It's been analyzed and discussed for decades when it comes to Nintendo.
It is not controversial, it is just that I disagree.

It is true that traditionally Nintendo systems have long survived on first party games, but fortunately that trend seems to be changing with Switch (Doom, Fifa games, Crash Bandicoot... to name a few examples of third party games that have sold well on Switch). Also, you admit there are indie games that are very succesful on the system, and I sincerely believe this has more to do with those being great videogames than with the lack of VC.

Even when you may be right, something that we probably will never know regardind this, I have a really hard time believing that Nintendo does not release more games for the system to not "intimidate" third parties.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but after how 2019 turned out vs 2018 I feel lot more confident.

We are still in the dark but that's what makes the next Direct very exciting. In the meantime, I can clear my backlog (which is increased a lot bc of H2 2019).

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
Yes, I guess that they are now focusing more in games that demand more development time and resources. The second reason you mention is not so convincing to me, why would they prevent themselves from releasing games to not overshadow third-parties? I think the more games for the system the better, then it´s costumers choice. In fact, with more games and wider catalogue, more people will buy the system.

It's definitely the first reason. Games are taking longer to make and everyone's output is going down.

Still, I feel like Nintendo being one of the most prolific publishers in the industry, combined with the lower number of AAA third party games on Switch compared to other consoles, means some people can have unrealistic expectations for how many games Nintendo can publish in a year.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Star Fox is kind of like Pikmin. They're always prototyping ideas and concepts.

I wish they were that loyal to F-Zero, lol.
F Zero is one franchise Miyamoto seems to fairly certainly rule out returning to, as well. It seems like he has a stronger connection to Pikmin and Star Fox, as well as greater conviction about taking those series in new directions (even when the reality doesn't turn out great). It's odd seeing so many different, and mixed, takes on Star Fox, but F Zero's been dropped by the wayside. Maybe so long as Miyamoto gets a say, he won't want it to come back without new gameplay ideas? Didn't Nintendo of Europe reach out to Criterion about F Zero a few years ago?
I think F-Zero's saddest thing is that it likely doesn't have a major torchbearer to the tune of a Miyamoto, Aonuma or Sakamoto over their respective brands. If Nagoshi (Monkey Ball, Yakuza) was a Nintendo employee, I often wonder if someone like him could've been that person...

In any case, I still would like to know who was behind such a multimedia push that saw F-Zero get so much attention back in the day, including even a 51 episode anime series.
That's nuts. I know there was a novel adaptation of some kind too, in Japan - the cover art is beautiful. I'd like a copy but haven't had any luck finding one.
It's not controversial - it's a soundly reasoned argument and you're right. Nintendo published titles often utterly dominate the software ecosystem, meaning a much tougher environment for third parties. I think people are unhappy because they expected a combined software total of 3DS plus Wii U from Nintendo on Switch, whereas development reality is very different to that (especially with the jump from 3DS). That, and they didn't realise that when Nintendo say "steady stream of software", they're talking about Switch as a whole - not just their own projects. More third party titles puts less pressure on Nintendo to carry the system.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Nintendo of Europe reach out to Criterion about F Zero a few years ago?

Sort of...

Speaking to the outlet, Ward noted that the report was "completely false," and that the request was from someone "junior" at Nintendo of Europe, and simply contained the phrase "some of us were talking...[about F-Zero]." Ward explains that this sort of side chat could be about anything (not an official request from Nintendo proper), plus they were owned by EA at the time and so many more things would have to happen up the chain of command before this was actually a real "offer." Alas, Ward contends that none of that ever happened.

Oct 31, 2017
The only one i think knows for definite Nintendos plans is Emily 1st party at least.
I think that her hint of mostly rpg goes with tms, possible xenoblade release , rumoured paper mario.
After that few months Emily hints about casual games possibly coming which makes me think some kind of sports resort etc.
2020 is the year of the olympics dont forget!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
im talking with a friend on twitter and he's saying that these are sold through numbers, do you have any source that could confirm what kind of numbers are they releasing tomorrow?

Not sure I can find a source, but it's common knowledge around here that the numbers in the IR reports are all shipped to retailers, unless specifically noted to be otherwise.

There might be an asterisk in the reports which says something like that at some point.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I think F-Zero's saddest thing is that it likely doesn't have a major torchbearer to the tune of a Miyamoto, Aonuma or Sakamoto over their respective brands. If Nagoshi (Monkey Ball, Yakuza) was a Nintendo employee, I often wonder if someone like him could've been that person...

In any case, I still would like to know who was behind such a multimedia push that saw F-Zero get so much attention back in the day, including even a 51 episode anime series.

I wonder if Miyamoto still holds the opinion that F-Zero GX bombed because it didn't have any new ideas. That was his belief during the GameCube years (in past interviews) but maybe that belief has changed recently.

My opinion is: F-Zero GX had poor sales for reasons that had nothing to do with F-Zero's popularity.
  • In North America, F-Zero GX sold in late August when kids were going back to school. So NOA's marketing team shot themselves in the foot right there.
  • F-Zero GX was released on one of Nintendo's worst selling systems of all time. (GameCube)
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash would release three months after F-Zero GX. Which means, one racing game would completely overshadow the other racing game.
Here's the thing about F-Zero. F-Zero sold best when it was a launch title (SNES, GBA). If they want to revive F-Zero back from the dead, then they should do it when they're launching new hardware.

If a new Star Fox is going to be made, they'll have to reinvent the franchise, similar to how Nintendo did with BOTW, FE and Kid Icarus. Classic Star Fox won't work this day and age anymore. They should borrow from stuff like No Man's Sky and Ace Combat 7. Star Fox 2 concept would definitively work for modern gaming standards.

I agree. If there's any franchise that needs to be reinvented, it's Star Fox.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto: there's nothing new we can do with F Zero so we won't make one!

Also Miyamoto: *rehashes Star Fox every chance he gets*

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Predictions are fun!!

I will skip January and February.

March - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX, Animal Crossing New Horizons.
April - Pikmin 3 DX, Pokken Tournament 2
May - Xenoblade Chronicles DE, eShop game
June - Paper Mario, Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC 1, Smash Bros. Challenger Pack #6
July - Super Mario 3D World DX, Bravely Default 2
August - New 2D Metroid, Panzer Dragoon Remake
September - No More Heroes 3
October - Bayonetta 3, The Sequel to the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
November - Pokemon Sword and Shield DLC 2, ????? ????? ???????
December - Smash Bros. Challenger Pack #7, The Wonderful 101 DX

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If Bayo 3 isn't this year I'm gonna be annoyed

One of the forbidden three (SMTV, B3, MP4) needs to break the curse. B3 is the most likely

Status
Not open for further replies.