• Dill Spowser

Votes: 303 28.3%
  • Phoug Bencer

Votes: 152 14.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2018
Man, the main information in this thread is just impossible to follow with the polls, the off topic lists of the day, the memes, the inner jokes that nobody from the outside understands and even the trolling. I know that there are not much info to share but when insiders say things that can be potential hints or teases it gets lost in the thread and unnaccessible to everyone tht doesn't spend their entire day here. I understand that this thread is the recess space for some people but it would be great if the OP got actualized or something whenever something important happens.

You know that you could simply ask politely instead of rant?

The two types of problem solvers.

And I know which one I prefer.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Why's it only a 50% chance?
Because it can always be a Mini or another experiment. Remember that a month ago Nintendo said that "we will have more Partner Shitcase this year". So this can be the next one.

We have more than FZero% but less than 100%, which is roughly 50-60% (edit: Just joking, I think we are in a 70-80 position right now). Insiders basically know/speculate about some releases this year, so it makes sense for Nintendo to announce them soon, but they can easily do a Twitter announcement again.

Last edited:

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Why's it only a 50% chance?
tumblr_mq3zck2f7c1s5hut9o1_500.gif

OP
OP
BozPaggs

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Also while I'm on a soapbox why does everyone think we're getting Metroid 5? Metroid 5 has been rumored for what 15 years with Metroid Dread? What is it about this year in particular that makes everyone think it's happening now?
A 2D Metroid game is being worked on, presumably with MercurySteam. Conflicting reports whether it's a new game or another remake. It's almost been three years since Samus Returns released. I don't think anyone is treating it like a foregone conclusion, more that it's a likelihood.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Because it can always be a Mini or another experiment. Remember that a month ago Nintendo said that "we will have more Partner Shitcase this year". So this can be the next one.

We have more than FZero% but less than 100%, which is roughly 50-60%. Insiders basically know/speculate about some releases this year, so it makes sense for Nintendo to announce them soon, but they can easily do a Twitter announcement again.
Why complicate it so much? It either happens, or it doesn't. So 50%!

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Insiders speculate on knowledge and common sense, but 2020's Nintendo is going wild, so it's not easy to predicat at all.

I mean, remember that 2 days ago most insiders were sure about a "Microsoft indie" during the Indie World, and never happened.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, but they twitter dropped Paper Mario and that's a brand new game as opposed to a repack and uprez of 3 old Mario games we've all played and I kinda think that's weirder.
I mean they're not just "3 old Mario games" are they though, they're 2 of the best games of all time

And 1 special little guy who tried so hard

Hinata

Jul 30, 2020

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Insiders speculate on knowledge and common sense, but 2020's Nintendo is going wild, so it's not easy to predicat at all.

I mean, remember that 2 days ago most insiders were sure about a "Microsoft indie" during the Indie World, and never happened.

My prediction? The Microsoft indie announcement got pushed back to the regular direct to accompany the other Microsoft game announcement: the long rumored Halo Switch port(s).

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
A 2D Metroid game is being worked on, presumably with MercurySteam. Conflicting reports whether it's a new game or another remake. It's almost been three years since Samus Returns released. I don't think anyone is treating it like a foregone conclusion, more that it's a likelihood.
Egh MercurySteam.

Hot take - Metroid Samus Returns isn't great. It's the only Metroid other than Other M that I fell off of. But I guess at least it's something since Nintendo proper seems to have zero interest in Metroid thanks to Sakamoto.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
You know that you could simply ask politely instead of rant?

And I know which one I prefer.

I think I said very politely what I had to say. Or is it that critizise something that clearly doesn't work is being unpolite? We certainly don't agree about courtesy etiquette, then.

By the way, I also asked the OP to got edited with the last info, which I think is certainly problem solving.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
My prediction? The Microsoft indie announcement got pushed back to the regular direct to accompany the other Microsoft game announcement: the long rumored Halo Switch port(s).
I dunno, to me it makes more sense to announce one game per event, multiplying the impact of the announcements.

They closed the event with Goose coop, a Microsoft "indie" like Ori 2 would have been far more impactful.

My guess is that the game is not ready and they wanted to avoid announcing too many 2021 games during the event, or that they wanted to close the next Indie World with the game. We had lots of good reveals and shadowdrops, maybe Nintendo felt that it was too much.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I think I said very politely what I had to say. Or is it that critizise something that clearly doesn't work is being unpolite? We certainly don't agree about courtesy etiquette, then.
Nah man, you're ranting. I get that this thread is difficult to keep up with, but given how little news we actually get, it's pretty understandable that it basically becomes a hangout thread. Just ask! People ask all the time what the latest is and someone almost always answers.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand

By the way, I also asked the OP to got edited with the last info, which I think is certainly problem solving.

The OP gets updated with confirmed announcements and news, not speculation. What information are you describing?

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
I mean they're not just "3 old Mario games" are they though, they're 2 of the best games of all time

And 1 special little guy who tried so hard
I love all three of those games. Huge nostalgia for Sunshine and 64 and I think Galaxy is like absolute top tier gaming - better than Odyssey by a landslide. I'm still having a real hard time getting excited about just HD remasters of some Mario games as their big thing this year.

Like I wasn't screaming in the streets when Windwaker and Twilight Princess HD happened.

Also they've already screwed up the pack since they've left out what I consider to be the ultimate game - Galaxy 2. It's not my favorite game of all time, Super Metroid is, but I think Galaxy 2 is like crystallized fun. It's the single most fun game ever made.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
My thing with the rumors of the general direct is weren't we literally told a month ago during the partner showcase that Nintendo doesn't differentiate internally between General and Mini directs and that it was effectively impossible to gauge beforehand whether it was going to be a mini or not?

It seemed that for the most part the guess at differentiation was made based on the quality of what announcements insiders expected to be there beforehand.

Don't get me wrong, I've been on record saying I expect there to be a general direct this month. I just find it weird that suddenly everyone is also saying general. I don't want to get into another repeat of the partners showcase where people were thinking we were at least going to get like a new F-Zero, a new Golden Sun, Metroid 5, etc.

Also while I'm on a soapbox why does everyone think we're getting Metroid 5? Metroid 5 has been rumored for what 15 years with Metroid Dread? What is it about this year in particular that makes everyone think it's happening now?

Think about it this way, those insiders told us recently that yes, it's often hard to determine if it's a mini or general or what up until closer to when it airs.

Now, those same insiders are so confident that it's a general that they're using the word "general" and "generally" in like all of their posts. If they know just based on recent experience that it can be hard to determine the difference this early in advance yet STILL appear so confident in it being a general, doesn't that make you think they might know for a fact this time that it's a general?

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Egh MercurySteam.

Hot take - Metroid Samus Returns isn't great. It's the only Metroid other than Other M that I fell off of. But I guess at least it's something since Nintendo proper seems to have zero interest in Metroid thanks to Sakamoto.
I really loved it and my only real complaint is that the melee countering is too emphasized for my liking (you can work around it if you use the Ice Beam and it's actually faster for killing almost anything but it's not ideal as you lose a lot of upgraded functionality).

I welcome another MercurySteam-developed Metroid with open arms.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
With Geoff saying next week is gonna be a good week for games, I know there's full reveal for CoD and Gamescom, but could he possibly hint at the direct as well?

Even if not, I'm fully on board. I believe and hope for a general direct next week! =)

I'm surprised Darksiders 3 has yet to come to the switch

I'm sure it will at some point.

Mar 17, 2019
I don´t wanna get my hopes up in case its a mini but Nintendo has too much rumored to show that there is a big possibility it is a general, Mario remasters and 3D World already make a general tbh, if they add some new first party small title and a BOTW 2 teaser that will be perfect also there is a lot of rumors of games and upcoming titles from third parties like the EA games, and the Prince of Persia Remake!

OP
OP
BozPaggs

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Egh MercurySteam.

It's hardly MS fault, Metroid II was the most limiting 2D entry, linear and lacking variety in content. MS did a great job remaking it, but there was only so much they could do without just making it a different game. Remember they originally came to Nintendo with a pitch for a Fusion remake. I reckon they could make an excellent game given more creative freedom.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
Sure, but they twitter dropped Paper Mario and that's a brand new game as opposed to a repack and uprez of 3 old Mario games we've all played and I kinda think that's weirder.
I'm that guy who has played 20 minutes of Mario 1, Some indescribable amount of 64 due to long time ago, and then Odyssey. Otherwise my most Mario is Mario Maker 2 which I love. I'm hype as heck for Sunshine & 64, let alone Galaxy which I really want to play.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I liked the game but I kind of agree. The counter mechanics means stopping the character too often (until you have the crazy beams), and while the tech of the game is outstanding, the art direction is sometimes bland.

And the game simply is too ambitious for the 3DS stick and button layout, I would love a remaster to be able to play it with the pro controller.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Think about it this way, those insiders told us recently that yes, it's often hard to determine if it's a mini or general or what up until closer to when it airs.

Now, those same insiders are so confident that it's a general that they're using the word "general" and "generally" in like all of their posts. If they know just based on recent experience that it can be hard to determine the difference this early in advance yet STILL appear so confident in it being a general, doesn't that make you think they might know for a fact this time that it's a general?
I think that's a totally fair take.

I'll say this: I'm currently putting my eggs in the basket of we're guaranteed a long mini with some pretty banging level announcements. I do personally think it'll be a general but want to go in with tempered expectations. They do have to have at least something decent cooking since they have nothing on their slate for near term releases.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The OP gets updated with confirmed announcements and news, not speculation. What information are you describing?

Well, this is a thread about speculation. Editing it with confirmed announcements doesn't seem to be very useful, since whenever a direct gets scheduled there will be a separate thread about it.

On the other hand and since our primary sources are insiders like Captain, Nate or Grubb it would be nice to keep a track of their teases whenever they feel to share them (like yesterday's tease about Dante in Smash, which happened to be just trolling, but still), so they get fully accesible on the first post instead of having to search through an ocean of memes and off topic (something that I'm sure lots of us do when somebody says here something important, in order to read the exact words).

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Haha, I know, I was just poking a little bit of fun. The fact that it's neither 100% or 0% doesn't make it 50%. Given the confidence of insiders, I think 70-80% seems appropriate.
Yeah I agree, my "50%" predicition was kind of a joke too, I also think we have 70% or so this time (unless Nintendo doubles down on strange decisions, which can happen).

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
I'm that guy who has played 20 minutes of Mario 1, Some indescribable amount of 64 due to long time ago, and then Odyssey. Otherwise my most Mario is Mario Maker 2 which I love. I'm hype as heck for Sunshine & 64, let alone Galaxy which I really want to play.
You're definitely in for a treat. I'm not sure how well sunshine and 64 will hold up for someone who didn't play them when they were current but Galaxy is top tier. Like if it came out now it'd be GOTY.
All 3 are better than Odyssey imho. Just hope they touch up the controls a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.