• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Justified

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I enjoy the game for a bit, but the gameplay didn't really encourage teamwork so it was a lot of lone-wolfing, or maybe it was because it had just released at the time.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I think I remember saying six months until they'll pull the plug. A bit more than that but still, like come on, who looked at this and said "yeah baby let's ship this in this market!"?

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
They should definitely take those characters and that world and make their own DmC2 or something.
This is what I thought it would be when it was first rumored and I was hyped as hell. Then when it was announced I thought with the same combat director as DmC it'd be like Anarchy Reigns but they made something more like a moba instead.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

A dolphin in a mech suit

Mekko is a dolphin, born in Japan in captivity, experimented on and tortured in order to become a living weapon by his corporate handlers. This torture fostered a hatred for humans in the sea creature, but he would see a new side to humanity when the "Bleeding Edge" gang, a group of human cyberized misfits, rescued him from captivity and forcibly scuttled the corporate operation. Enamored by these humans who would call him "family," he mounted a quadripedal "crab" mech suit that lets him speak with them, and he joined their squad, finding solace among these humans who would help him in his revenge against Human Augment Systems. Mekko is technically the youngest member of the Bleeding Edge, at only 10 years old.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I know it was a passion project, but I don't know why Microsoft showed a little more of love for the game, don't know what they would gain launching such a bare bones games
Cuz sometimes it pays off like grounded and they didnt really have anything to lose

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
mekko-render.png

This is great.
Were they selling cosmetics or something in the game? I think they don't need this kinda money anymore since they're with MS.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meh it's for the best. The game was never really going to do well. They got to create a project they wanted to, people can play it if they'd like and the team can move on to future projects.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I consider NT one of the most promising developers in the entire industry but this game just lacked a hook. I only tried it because they literally paid me to do so via Microsoft Rewards. Looking forward to seeing what they do next either way.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still was blown away with the attention to detail in the game tho. From such a small team. The animation and little effects all the characters have is amazing.
Remember playing the alpha for the first time. And was surprised how much details and polish was already in the game.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I remember seeing people say this game would be perfect for gamepass but with how little people are playing the game actively, it makes me think that argument is honestly flawed.

I hope that the studio made their budget back and best of luck to the team with their next project.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
There was no way such a small studio would be able to keep up the updates for this game while also working on what, three other projects?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
No massive surprise that there'll be no more DLC/content updates for this game I'd say. There can't be much of a community there craving new skin packs and maps.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I had the exact opposite experience if you didnt stick together it was an instant loss.
Exactly. If you played against a team that knew what was going on you got put in a body bag on a team with randoms. Never do I recall being beaten down so savagely. I think in a world with so many options the game didn't grab people quick enough and the people that stayed destroyed everyone who tried to learn how to play. That was off-putting probably to a lot of people.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy the game for a bit, but the gameplay didn't really encourage teamwork so it was a lot of lone-wolfing, or maybe it was because it had just released at the time.

That's pretty much the opposite of my experience, the moment you have people attempting to lone-wolf, your team is pretty much fucked. If you could manage a mediocre team to play to the objectives you can overcome a higher skilled team of people not sticking together. That's how it played out a lot for me, though finding teams to actually play together was rare so it made playing with randos pretty infuriating IMO.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hardly surprising, game released to no fanfare and not enough people cared for it, myself included.

At least people can still play online

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I enjoyed the few matches I played of it, but it never really had staying power.

Still, it was an impressive project considering it had such a small team (looks like 10-25 people) working on it. Glad they got to make the game they wanted to, even if it didn't last long.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I consider NT one of the most promising developers in the entire industry but this game just lacked a hook. I only tried it because they literally paid me to do so via Microsoft Rewards. Looking forward to seeing what they do next either way.
They didn't know how to market it either. I cringed at them calling it a fighting game.

I could barely get through the tutorials.. I just wanted to try out the dolphin in the mech suit.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
I think that this whole project is part of the reason that NT was ok with being acquired.

Not only were they given the freedom to build and release a passion project, but when it (seemingly) completely missed the mark, there's no risk to the developer.

One thing to watch for is how long they keep the servers running for, MS tends to be pretty good at keeping things running if I'm not mistaken.

Yes I realize if they kept missing the mark they would be in danger of being shuttered

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Given that was more some kind of experiment project to diversify their portfolio and probably gain experience with multiplayer titles (at least that was my takeaway from this game) I was surprised they supported it this long.

Enjoyed a couple of rounds, the music and art style but it was too repetitive too fast. Can't wait for Senua's Saga so I'm glad they're focusing on that.

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Shame. Game was pure fun. It could have been something special with more budget and more support down the line. In it's current state it feels exactly like it was supposed to be - a small side project.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I had the exact opposite experience if you didnt stick together it was an instant loss.

Yeah, that was my takeaway. If you're on a team where everyone isn't at least paying attention to what each other are doing, you're pretty much going to lose every time. It is based too much around synergistic abilities and hitting those at the same exact time, that as someone who is never going to play online with a mic, seemed borderline impenetrable.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
A shame, I adored the game, but glad to see they aren't pulling the servers. I still jump in for a match every odd now and then, and probably logged 50 hours total. A shame to see it go. I hope the team get another project in Ninja Theory as the combat was incredibly fun, and I think they'd make a great hack and slash. I love Ninja Theory's new work and cannot wait for Mara and Hellblade 2, but I don't want to see them lose their lighter fun side either.
The needed to be free to play from the get go tbh. It's a fun game that most will not try out if it's not free but I think it would of had it's chance if it was not tied to individual sales and gamepass which in it of itself has a ton of big name games at the moment.

Dafuq is this shitpost doing here? Cringe material

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
The thing that bothers me is the TOTAL radio silence (except one dev on discord saying they will fix bugs) the community receive. And now they just leave the game to die after MONTHS of nothing.
Why no F2P transition? Why not one last Hurrah of bug fixes or some form of content? Why not a Series X/S port? Why not one message on the official forums about the state of the game? Ridiculous.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that bothers me is the TOTAL radio silence (except one dev on discord saying they will fix bugs) the community receive. And now they just leave the game to die after MONTHS of nothing.
Why no F2P transition? Why not one last Hurrah of bug fixes or some form of content? Why not a Series X/S port? Why not one message on the official forums about the state of the game? Ridiculous.

The lack of communication sucks but the game has no one playing it and seems to not be worth the devs efforts to continue on with it.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is the first I'm even hearing of this game, and I've liked most of the Ninja Theory games I've played like Enslaved, Dmc, Heavenly Sword.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
i'm always happy to see teams try things outside their comfort zone but this project just seemed like a strange decision from the beginning. looking forward to Hellblade 2 and other single player games from NT

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Their statement sounds pessimistic but I think it's now a complete game with enough content. I've enjoyed many online games over the years without needing new content. I hope it stays online a long time and maintains its own little community.

I do feel bad for the devs, I remember how proud and excited they seemed when showcasing the game at E3, they must be disappointed.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean...I'd by lying if I said I was surprised by this news. I don't think I heard or read a single thing about it since it released.