• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What QB deserves a second chance?

• Jamarcus Russell

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • Johnny Manziel

Votes: 56 20.5%
  • Josh Freeman

Votes: 74 27.1%
  • David Carr

Votes: 97 35.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Tyrod is like the only QB on their roster with years of regular starting and regular backup experience, he'd be a good teacher, and he's better to learn from/to see play than Kessler and Hogan individually and combined. He's instantly the best option on that depth chart, and would have been if Kizer was still there too.
Why not overpay Bradford for a season or two then? I got nothing against Tyrod per se, just that they gave a 3rd rounder for him.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
Browns just had the most Browns day you could expect.

3rd rounder for a stopgap QB, might even make them miss on another great QB on the draft. Then trading for Landry, paying him 16mil and just watch him leave next season.

Every team doesn't have to value a 3rd pick the same way. Eagles have very little picks this draft so they will covet a 3rd round pick.

Browns have tons of picks and cap space and they can afford to make certain moves. Don't see how this prohibits them from getting their top QB at 1.

Tyrod starts till they are out of contention or they think the rookie is ready. As Seahawks and Eagles recently showed you should load up on QB and see which is best to play.

If the Eagles trade Mcleod, they'll have 7 million in dead cap and only save 1 million. I don't think he's going anywhere.

I think I've come to accept Curry being cut. But not many others will get you significant cap savings. Except Brandon Graham. He'll get you 7 million in savings, only 1 million in dead space.

And they just traded for Bennett. But why would they get older? These are just thoughts. I want BG to get a long term contract.

There has to be some renegotiated contracts coming up. Maybe Peters will want some more years. In Howie I trust. He must have some renegotiated contracts lined up and will pull the trigger on Tuesday. He's a gotdamn madman. I thought everyone knew Smith would be cut. I guess they want that contract control. Thanks Ron.

Curry is getting traded. Darby is getting traded. Graham will get an extension but structured so it lowers the cap hit. Peters will be restructured.

Blount, Robinson, Corey Graham, and Burton aren't being brought back. Foles for the highest Bills 2nd round pick. They will sign Kaepernick as a backup to compete with Sudfeld.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
if the rookie qb comes in and plays well enough to start right away its not like its the end of the world if tyrod is just the experienced backup. It was the Browns 6th pick in the draft

It's still the 65th pick. They went 0-16 for a reason. They need more players. A 3rd round pick can be an impact player or bait to trade up.

jarnet87

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So in the span of 4-5 hours:

The fins trades away Landry for nothing, who ended up on a team with a qb incapable of throwing the football to him

The Browns got rid of a guy incapable of throwing the football, and traded for one who is afraid to throw a football to a receiver

The packers FO decided they needed a QB worse on the roster than Burt Hundley, and traded for Kizer.

My summation is everyone in the NFL is on drugs.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These takes are always funny. There is no way to say any of the QBs coming out are going to be better than Tyrod and saying they are better now, before they've played one NFL snap is ridiculous.

Yeah? Look at just straight QB fundamentals and understanding of the game and 3/5 in the first round can do a better job then Tyrod can. Its not even a question.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever they pick will come in Week 9 after Tyrod gets his ass kicked for 8 games. It's better than getting the rookie slaughtered right away.

milch

Oct 25, 2017
i think we should use nfl personnel to study the effects of sleep deprivation on decision making.

Oct 25, 2017
Again, These QBs coming out atleast 3 of the mare better QBs then Tyrod.

That's a ludicrous statement. None have done anything in the NFL, while Tyrod just took the fucking Buffalo Bills to the playoffs. He's been successful in college and the pros. He's got a super bowl ring.

Wait....which three are you claiming? Is one Lamar Jackson?

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a ludicrous statement. None have done anything in the NFL, while Tyrod just took the fucking Buffalo Bills to the playoffs. He's been successful in college and the pros. He's got a super bowl ring.

Wait....which three are you claiming? Is one Lamar Jackson?

Tyrod did NOT take them to the playoffs, The run game as a whole along with that defense propelled them into the playoffs and lets not forget Andy Dalton. Tyrod was being BENCHED multiple times last season for poor play. Rosen Darnold and Mayfield all are better without taking a damn snap.

Edit: did you just say Super Bowl ring? what did he do to earn that, you have to be trolling.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
If the Eagles trade Mcleod, they'll have 7 million in dead cap and only save 1 million. I don't think he's going anywhere.

I think I've come to accept Curry being cut. But not many others will get you significant cap savings. Except Brandon Graham. He'll get you 7 million in savings, only 1 million in dead space.

And they just traded for Bennett. But why would they get older? These are just thoughts. I want BG to get a long term contract.

There has to be some renegotiated contracts coming up. Maybe Peters will want some more years. In Howie I trust. He must have some renegotiated contracts lined up and will pull the trigger on Tuesday. He's a gotdamn madman. I thought everyone knew Smith would be cut. I guess they want that contract control. Thanks Ron.
It's not about the savings this year. Next year they get big savings, plus they're able to transition one of their CBs (Mills) to safety. I could see it happening

Oct 25, 2017
Tyrod did NOT take them to the playoffs, The run game as a whole along with that defense propelled them into the playoffs and lets not forget Andy Dalton. Tyrod was being BENCHED multiple times last season for poor play. Rosen Darnold and Mayfield all are better without taking a damn snap.

Edit: did you just say Super Bowl ring? what did he do to earn that, you have to be trolling.

He was there, he has the experience.

Tyrod has never put up poor numbers as QB, I don't understand how you can make any claim that these QBs are better, unless it's just because you have something against "scrambling" quarterbacks.

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I love the moves by the Browns. They have a ton of picks, but the last thing they needed was to use them all and get even younger. I would have been okay if they signed McCarren, but I like the idea of Taylor better. He doesn't turn the ball over. He's probably the best QB option they have had since I moved her a decade ago.

They managed to get some value for Kizer, which is pretty insane. And they also got a massive upgrade at WR. The Browns might have had the worst receiving core I've ever seen last year before Gordon returned and it was still awful with him.

I honestly don't think they're as far away from being competitive as most people think, though Hue either needs to be shit canned or improve drastically in year 3 as a coach.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I'm starting to like the idea of drafting Allen. Listening to scouts and people that have seen him workout, I've heard multiple people say he's got the best arm they've ever seen. I would probably draft Darnold (maybe Rosen) to be safe, but I'll admit I'd be really excited if Dorsey has the balls to go with Allen.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about the savings this year. Next year they get big savings, plus they're able to transition one of their CBs (Mills) to safety. I could see it happening
It's just Darby costs 1million this year. Where can you get great CB play for that? Even if he leaves in FA. I guess they'll have to get something good.

You know what? This is a very exciting offseason for the Eagles. Not a ton happening (no big FA) but the Wentz extension looms and so Howie will earn his keep these next few years. And I'm glad the NFL is starting to trade more.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was there, he has the experience.

Tyrod has never put up poor numbers as QB, I don't understand how you can make any claim that these QBs are better, unless it's just because you have something against "scrambling" quarterbacks.

Im not even going to take this super bowl win thing into the argument

Its not something against scrambling QBs Tyrod has been a conservative 1 read or run QB yeah hes accurate sure but so would anyone else whos throwing 20 times for short yardage. Yes he gets the run game going but what does any of this do to help a young QB who as i said before without a snap is a better QB then him as a whole.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
It's just Darby costs 1million this year. Where can you get great CB play for that? Even if he leaves in FA. I guess they'll have to get something good.

You know what? This is a very exciting offseason for the Eagles. Not a ton happening (no big FA) but the Wentz extension looms and so Howie will earn his keep these next few years. And I'm glad the NFL is starting to trade more.
I'm talking about trading McLeod. I want to keep Darby and put Jones outside, Mills at McLeod's safety spot, and have Douglas come in for nickel with Jones sliding into the slot

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Barkley at 1, Giants take the great QB, Browns draft Allen or who ever ends up the bust. You know whoever the bust is the Browns are drafting him
Can we be real for a sec? If Barkley is really gonna unlock full cowling fuck ALL of these QBs.

Passing on Saquon is actually the "Browns being the Browns" move.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
How exactly is it a demotion? Their Saturday Night college football games get ratings just as good as MNF, if they demoted him it'd be to some real shitty gig like calling MACtion

(also he seemed to enjoy calling them way more than MNF although working with Gruden seemed to kill him)

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people acting like having Tyrod Taylor on what amounts to a 1-2 year deal precludes the Browns from also drafting a quarterback? Tyrod is a great bridge piece.

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Packers got their next big star. DK7 is a beast, and it's just a shame the Browns invested 2 plus years in the kid, he'd honestly would be the #1 pick in this years draft.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Joe Tessitore is that fucking guy. You don't feel disrespected getting replaced by him.

MNF just got elevated.
Drafting a RB #1 would be stupid. It's not an important position relative to others
There isn't an RB in history you would go back in time and draft #1 then? Of course there is.

It comes down to whether he ends up being that good.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tyrod is clearly fucking better than random rookie QB's who have never even been in an NFL film room lol come on now that's ludicrous hyperbole. He was "benched" once because the owner freaked the fuck out after two losses (in which on of them Tyrod threw for 3TD's and nearly 300 yards) and demanded Peterman as a "spark" and it quickly backfired and we all moved on. He was the starter from then onwards and played several very good games.

He is not a one read then tuck it QB. He's a fine stop-gap starting QB that the Browns had the draft capital to give to get. The Browns have a deficiency of talent, draft picks are used to acquire talent. Now they have a starting QB who can actually like, play respectable football so they don't have to give a Mike Glennon money just to set that crap on fire for no reason.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Tessitore is that fucking guy. You don't feel disrespected getting replaced by him.

MNF just got elevated.

There isn't an RB in history you would go back in time and draft #1 then? Of course there is.

It comes down to whether he ends up being that good.
Would you rather have a GOAT RB or an elite, but not HOF worthy, QB

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can we be real for a sec? If Barkley is really gonna unlock full cowling fuck ALL of these QBs.

Passing on Saquon is actually the "Browns being the Browns" move.
We got two capable RB's in Crowel, and Duke that hue doesn't know which to roll with, the days of Walter Payton and Jim Brown single handily winning championships is over ask Adrien Peterson, the Browns aren't ready to draft a RB imo until 2-3 years from now once the QB develops and we find out if Joe Thomas is sticking around.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
So in the span of 4-5 hours:

The fins trades away Landry for nothing, who ended up on a team with a qb incapable of throwing the football to him

The Browns got rid of a guy incapable of throwing the football, and traded for one who is afraid to throw a football to a receiver

The packers FO decided they needed a QB worse on the roster than Burt Hundley, and traded for Kizer.

My summation is everyone in the NFL is on drugs.

Anything to keep Kap out

phaeb

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Browns would have kept those picks if John Dorsey wasn't hired, guess he values winning now over cleaning the house entirely. Also Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round, just saying.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
There is a good chance he's a hall famer if he plays 5 more years. A SB berth and top 10-15 stats potentially. River could also make the hall of fame. So to your point I'd rather have Philip Rivers than say LT...
Rivers will be retiring alongside Brady, Brees, Ben, Eli, not to mention all the HOF worthy players at other positions. Rivers is an elite QB playing at the same time as alltime greats at the position. He's not a lock to make it

Status
Not open for further replies.