EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
I think I remember Vinny mentioning on a podcast recently going to a wedding and seeing lots of friends there, but didn't say for who. Must have been Drew
I remember during an E3 drive (I miss those streams) several years ago when it was mentioned off-hand that Drew was engaged. If you listen to Fire Escape, Mary has told the story about being first told she might not be able to leave work to go to Drew's wedding, but when she mentioned it was "The Blinking Guy's" wedding, her boss was like, "Oh, you HAVE to go to that wedding." That boss, I guess, is now Drew's boss as well.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they've mentioned Drew's wedding a bunch of times. Brad talked about how he regrets not cutting his hair before it.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
audioboom.com

A Jedi Named Kyle

With Vinny out, Will Smith drops by to tell us about playing a few hours of Star Wars Outlaws, plus Earth Defense Force 6's giant bugs and Clickolding's, uh, fetishistic clicking, mass layoffs and a reorg at Bungie, SAG-AFTRA's game industry strike, the first trailer for Amazo...

(00:00:10) Intro
(00:04:54) Star Wars Outlaws [PC (Microsoft Windows), PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S] on Aug 30, 2024
(00:26:31) Earth Defense Force 6 [PC (Microsoft Windows, GeForce Now), PlayStation 4/5] on Jul 25, 2024
(00:34:16) Clickolding [PC (Microsoft Windows)] on Jul 16, 2024
(00:47:25) Infection Free Zone [PC (Steam, Early Access)] on Apr 11, 2024
(00:53:49) News
(00:54:02) Layoffs and reorganization at Bungie
(01:04:20) SAG-AFTRA's video game strike
(01:14:52) Activision's skill-based matchmaking study
(01:25:43) The first trailer for Like a Dragon: Yakuza (the TV series) is out
(01:29:14) Emails!
(01:41:13) Wrapping up
(01:41:48) Mysterious Benefactor Shoutouts
(01:48:03) See ya!

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Going through the back catalog of Never Been a Better Podcast since recently subscribing and they're fantastic. It's all-star Beastcast, and I love it. Miss that podcast greatly so this is a wonderful substitute.

The Austin, Abby combo might be my favorite since they never really crossed over during their tenure.

Nothing substantial to really add here haha, just having fun listening, enjoying the sub and getting caught up on everything I've been missing.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
I wanted to see some early bad 360 games like Bullet Witch, 99 knights, and Blue Dragon or that From game Ninja Blade.
The stream was a bit too rose-tinted glasses for me. Like no one had good things to say about Avatars back in the day, c'mon. Admittedly, I wasn't the biggest fan of the 360. The RRoD really soured me on the system.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Avatars were a ton of fun and it's exactly the sort of goofy gimmick that modern consoles are missing these days. The user experience for both systems seems so sterile and boring.

Talking about OLDSCHOOL vibes I'm almost done playing through Callisto Protocol. This game really did just take all the iconic beats from Dead Space and added nothing noteworthy or better of its own. It does look absolutely amazing at times but that's about it. I don't even think it's a particularly bad game it's mostly just kinda boring and clunky - thankfully it's relatively short.

I might fire up the Dead Space Remake after this which I haven't played yet as a contrast.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is it just me, or has Alex's cynicism or negativity taken a step up lately, like he is so quick to say quickly after almost any kind of comment "oh that is bad" or "this will happen (extreme situation) from that" etc, Brad typically has to comment, no actually.... its like he just sits there waiting to be uber negative, I know its his schtick and has always been that guy but it just seems so much more lately, unless it's something in his small narrow view of what he is super into everything else is trash.

maybe additional context: I haven't listened to a single watchcast

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Is it just me, or has Alex's cynicism or negativity taken a step up lately, like he is so quick to say quickly after almost any kind of comment "oh that is bad" or "this will happen (extreme situation) from that" etc, Brad typically has to comment, no actually.... its like he just sits there waiting to be uber negative, I know its his schtick and has always been that guy but it just seems so much more lately, unless it's something in his small narrow view of what he is super into everything else is trash.
I commented something similar a little while back around the summer games fest streams. Yeah feels like he's gotten worse. It's like he's ready to jump on absolutely anything. I think he even bad mouthed there being a live orchestra on one of the summer streams. It can be a bit much.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

maybe additional context: I haven't listened to a single watchcast
I don't know that I've noticed any major differences in that regard, he's always kind of been like that. My big pet peeve with Alex specifically is that he just doesn't seem to ever be okay with not knowing the answer to something. I don't have a specific example on me, but often on the podcast (most often during the news), they can be talking about a subject and Vinny will ask a question, and Alex will say something like "I'm pretty sure...." or "I feel like..." and say something that's often totally wrong, but no one actually checks and they'll move on. It's a minor pet peeve in the grand scheme, because as much as I love NXL their news coverage is really very poor, there are times none of them seem to actually know what they're talking about, but he does it kind of often so it stands out to me. Vinny is very quick to just say "Yeah, I don't know" to something if he doesn't know, which I appreciate.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah that is why I asked, because it has always been him, maybe it's just standing out to me more these days. I still love the crew and NXL as a whole.

But yes every single story "I have heard..."; "I think that...."; it is like you said not much in grand scheme as the news is just for me to hear how they view something and not for actual news lol.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It's a lot easier to add a "I've heard that.." before you posit your own personal opinion about something.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
I like how he is always the one who has to chime in with a slam about the UK whenever it is mentioned, despite being right about 10% of the time. He seems to have a bug up his ass about us.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The Jackie Brown Watchcast episode is soooo good. So glad to have them cover films again.

It's really insane how much better the NXL team is at film discussion than….basically everyone else.

The can deep dive into a film, share production notes, stay on topic, and give their take without ever being too whiny or nitpicky

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
I like how he is always the one who has to chime in with a slam about the UK whenever it is mentioned, despite being right about 10% of the time. He seems to have a bug up his ass about us.

These are Alex's most correct takes. We suck.

The Jackie Brown Watchcast episode is soooo good. So glad to have them cover films again.

Yeah, I'm so happy the Watchcast is back. Jackie Brown is a certified banger.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
I am not talking about political stuff, it is the facts he seems to chime in with - like identifying every regional accent as cockney, or oh, they do it like that there. He does it a lot, I wish I had taken notes to offer up the evidence but alas the specifics are alluding me.

It's really insane how much better the NXL team is at film discussion than….basically everyone else.

The can deep dive into a film, share production notes, stay on topic, and give their take without ever being too whiny or nitpicky

Do you listen to many movie centric podcasts? I find the watchcast very entertaining but I find it hard to believe they are doing anything special or unique. There is always a bias when you are very familiar with the set of people talking about something.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I am not talking about political stuff, it is the facts he seems to chime in with - like identifying every regional accent as cockney, or oh, they do it like that there. He does it a lot, I wish I had taken notes to offer up the evidence but alas the specifics are alluding me.

Do you listen to many movie centric podcasts? I find the watchcast very entertaining but I find it hard to believe they are doing anything special or unique. There is always a bias when you are very familiar with the set of people talking about something.
I've tried a decent amount of film podcasts over the years and even the two that I stuck with (Blank Check and The Big Picture) are often flawed with annoying tangents, poor attempts at humor, and INSANE ad breaks

NXL's Watchcast is infinitely superior by virtue of keeping things simple and focused. I haven't found other film podcasts with this energy.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me, or has Alex's cynicism or negativity taken a step up lately

My big pet peeve with Alex specifically is that he just doesn't seem to ever be okay with not knowing the answer to something

Yup, Alex is just chronically confidently incorrect lol.

Best recent example of that I can think of was his assertion that the vast majority of fans of a school's football team are people with personal ties to that university. Vinny going like "noooo I think there's tons of fans with zero ties". Got a good laugh when he told listeners to email them about it cause I knew it'd backfire. No surprise they got the most amount of emails they've ever gotten in a week.

On the flip side he's amazing when he actually does the research and can speak confidently correct about everything on the watchcast. That podcast is slowly becoming my favorite content from them.

Last edited:

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I've tried a decent amount of film podcasts over the years and even the two that I stuck with (Blank Check and The Big Picture) are often flawed with annoying tangents, poor attempts at humor, and INSANE ad breaks

NXL's Watchcast is infinitely superior by virtue of keeping things simple and focused. I haven't found other film podcasts with this energy.
Gives me something to do tonight. I watched Jackie Brown like 20 years ago and as a dumb teen I found it kinda boring. Been meaning to re-watch it again as the intellectual film lover I am today. I also just rewatched Ronin a day ago so gonna continue my DeNiro streak.

Last edited:

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, Alex is just chronically confidently incorrect lol.

Best recent example of that I can think of was his assertion that the vast majority of fans of a school's football team are people with personal ties to that university. Vinny going like "noooo I think there's tons of fans with zero ties". Got a good laugh when he told listeners to email them about it cause I knew it'd backfire. No surprise they got the most amount of emails they've ever gotten in a week.

On the flip side he's amazing when he actually does the research and can speak confidently correct about everything on the watchcast. That podcast is slowly becoming my favorite content from them.
Yeah the college football discourse was weird to me. All three are American so it seems like something I'd assume every American to have a basic understanding of collegiate fandom just through cultural osmosis. Vinny and Brad aren't sports guys so maybe that's a little more believable.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Gives me something to do tonight. I watched Jackie Brown like 20 years ago and as a dumb teen I found it kinda boring. Been meaning to re-watch it again as the intellectual film lover I am today. I also just rewatched Ronin a day ago so gonna continue my DeNiro streak.
It's wonderful film!

I had the same arc as you, found it boring coming right off of Pulp Fiction, but really dug it on another watch

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 21, 2021
It's wonderful film!

I had the same arc as you, found it boring coming right off of Pulp Fiction, but really dug it on another watch

Yeah same here. I watched Pulp late so went straight from that to Jackie Brown and found it blergh. Having the-watched it older though, I love it. It really works if you approach it from the angle that all the criminals are kind of dumb, and Jackie Brown is the smartest person there.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that is why I asked, because it has always been him, maybe it's just standing out to me more these days. I still love the crew and NXL as a whole.

But yes every single story "I have heard..."; "I think that...."; it is like you said not much in grand scheme as the news is just for me to hear how they view something and not for actual news lol.
in general it drives me kinda crazy when they make sweeping generalizations about topics they're not very familiar with, and then typically end a news story with a very negative feeling because Alex was the last one to say something.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It's wonderful film!

I watched it last night and I definitely enjoyed it more but it didn't really wow me as much. By modern standards the story feels very "quaint" in complexity. I was sort of waiting for how clever it will get but.. nah I mean thats just that. Good acting from everyone all around although the general vibe is very subdued apart from Sam Jackson and Keaton who seem like the two standout high-strung characters.

I started listening to the Watchcast before watching the film and stopped when they started going over the plot so I'm looking forward to finishing it now.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it last night and I definitely enjoyed it more but it didn't really wow me as much. By modern standards the story feels very "quaint" in complexity. I was sort of waiting for how clever it will get but.. nah I mean thats just that. Good acting from everyone all around although the general vibe is very subdued apart from Sam Jackson and Keaton who seem like the two standout high-strung characters.

I started listening to the Watchcast before watching the film and stopped when they started going over the plot so I'm looking forward to finishing it now.

to be fair, Tarantino movies have never really been about plot. it's all about characters, style, dialogue, editing, music, etc. basically everything but plot.

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
audioboom.com

Special Ep: Never Been a Better Podcast 005: Where We Learn About Phrogging

We're out on break this week, so we bring you another episode from the Never Been a Better Podcast archive, this time from October 2022, when Halloween was in the air and Dan, Abby, Bakalar, and Austin all gathered to share in the spirit, or SPIRITS, of the season.

(00:01:05) Intro
(00:02:06) How is Jeff Bakalar?
(00:03:39) Candy corn vs nougat
(00:07:21) Going out on Halloween
(00:10:48) Some takes on Ghostbusters
(00:16:10) Sharing movies you love with other people
(00:20:27) Movies that still scare you or make you uncomfortable
(00:31:01) Ask Alex to Find Your Traumatizing Movie
(00:45:42) SPOILERS for the movie Lost Souls
(00:46:47) END OF SPOILER
(00:46:52) Movie scenes that make you extremely uncomfortable
(00:52:10) Is Mandy horror?
(00:52:44) Is Color Out of Space fun?
(00:53:33) Found footage movies
(00:55:37) The Shyamalan-Verse
(00:59:16) Twisted Metal had found footage?
(01:01:05) When someone you know believes the found footage
(01:02:11) BBC's Ghostwatch
(01:03:18) Could you do a big media fakeout today?
(01:07:10) Phrogging: Hider in My House
(01:09:14) The Buzzer
(01:11:14) Sneaking into an abandoned dental office?! Dental Crimes!
(01:16:18) What's creeping people out currently?
(01:23:11) Wrapping up
(01:24:32) Confusing Collateral with Collateral Damage as always...
(01:25:09) See Ya!

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
to be fair, Tarantino movies have never really been about plot. it's all about characters, style, dialogue, editing, music, etc. basically everything but plot.
It's also an adaptation and not his original script which is probably why as Brad mentions it doesn't feel as typically bombastic as his other material.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
I think Alex went a bit over the top saying Elmore Leonard was one of the most important American authors, or something to that effect, and then admitting he has only read a couple of his books. As someone who read most of his books as a kid, I would say he was an excellent and prolific producer of pulp and pot boilers - with the occasional stand out. I would say the adaptations of his books have all been more complex and interesting takes than the source material.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
I think Alex went a bit over the top saying Elmore Leonard was one of the most important American authors, or something to that effect, and then admitting he has only read a couple of his books. As someone who read most of his books as a kid, I would say he was an excellent and prolific producer of pulp and pot boilers - with the occasional stand out. I would say the adaptations of his books have all been more complex and interesting takes than the source material.

I might be wrong, but I thought he said "crime" writers, which pretty significantly reduces the competition. Especially if he's thinking of crime as a separate genre from detective stories. I've read quite a few of Leonard's books, and I'd agree that many of the adaptations are better.

Except for Stick. That's one of my favorites of his and the film is utter crap.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I also just rewatched Jackie Brown and I gotta say I enjoyed it more than I ever have.
Like many others I used to find it pretty good, but a tad slow and uneventful, but this time it just clicked much more.
And it's not that many years since I last watched it even. It's just such a good character driven movie!

Some random small thoughts.
Jackie is supposed to be old, but she's only 44! That's not old at all! Maybe Tarantino being in his early 30's during production played into this a bit. Or maybe I'm just looking at it from a more modern viewpoint where we're constantly pushing back the "old" age point :D
Max Cherry not washing his hands is a bit gross. C'mon man! He'd fit right in on this forum at least :P
It sort of felt like the movie didn't really have a clear main character. I mean yes It's called Jacke Brown and it opens and closes with her, but it felt like she's not really much more in it than Sam Jackson or Forster.
Also, I'm not much of a regular music person, but Tarantino knows how to pick some good songs for his movies.
"Across 110th Street" (that chorus) and The Delfonics "Didn't i blow your mind this time" are some catchy tunes!

Last edited:

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
If the Delfonics are so great why does everyone just listen to that one song. I assume Max Cherry was buying an album on tape and not just a single 😁

eddy

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to do a quick Slay the Spire run, just for fun... Haven't really played since they added The Defect. Ended up being a near-perfect run.

Guess it turned into a combination of strength scaling (demon form, inflame, rampage, headbutt) + exhaust (seeing red, disarm, exhume) build in the end.

GOAT. Looking forward to the sequel.

v5Rd7yU.jpeg

2Pe0hAZ.jpeg

SanderJK

Oct 31, 2017
To prepare for the upcoming watchcast:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.