Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I don't follow too much behind the scenes stuff but why is Jeff gerstmann never a guest on these types of podcasts. Maybe not GB but why not here? Is there beef
No one knows and none of the people from either side, neither Jeff nor the Nextlander guys, have ever really spoken about it. Either way it seems neither party is interested in doing a collab and thats about it.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow too much behind the scenes stuff but why is Jeff gerstmann never a guest on these types of podcasts. Maybe not GB but why not here? Is there beef
It has been asked, and kind of brushed aside. Some people will swear there's no beef, and they just went their separate ways. Me, I find it hard to believe that almost every permutation of these people except Gerstmann collaborate on the regular and there is no beef. But either way, it's not our right to know the behind the scenes of what did or didn't happen and how they feel.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Vinny just has godly time management skills.

I'm single with no kids and I don't play as much as he does. He's a beast.
Seriously, when I hear how much he gets done + play to completion all these massive games, I'm in awe.

I'm in a similar boat to you and I struggle to finish much games these days much less make a dent in massive games like FF7 Rebirth.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
It was all a lie, they were never friends...jk ofc
My gut says Jeff wasn't great to work with based on almost everyone else still being buddy buddies and being on each other's content. I can see how things could've turned sour over the years. I've nothing backing this up ofc, just based on the optics since they started their own things. I think time will heal things enough for them to someday stream together again at least once but I don't think any time soon.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
It was all a lie, they were never friends...jk ofc
My gut says Jeff wasn't great to work with based on almost everyone else still being buddy buddies and being on each other's content. I can see how things could've turned sour over the years. I've nothing backing this up ofc, just based on the optics since they started their own things. I think time will heal things enough for them to someday stream together again at least once but I don't think any time soon.
It's become pretty clear to me that a lot of the quality of life (for lack of a better term) things that people wanted out of GB, like timestamps and a more consistent schedule, were being held back by Jeff, who really wanted to hold onto the grungy cable access energy.

Those aren't necessarily make or break, but I could see it exacerbating things when you're getting juggled around by various corporations.

I like Jeff a lot, and the retro focus of his solo endeavor has been fun, but it doesn't surprise me that there may have been some tension about how the site needed to evolve.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
With neither party interested in talking about it, it isn't really worth discussing the Jeff thing yet again IMO. Pure speculation at this point.

Yeah, this has always been my line of thinking too.

Like I get people are curious and wonder about it. But since we have so little info the current situation could have explanations that vary from "Jeff is totally focused on his family and just drifted away from everyone over the years" to "Jeff is the problem and almost everyone at GB disliked working with him" it isn't really worth guessing.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
There are some old GB fans that don't keep with this stuff so it's understandable that every couple of months someone comes in and asks about it - which is absolutely fine.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, when I hear how much he gets done + play to completion all these massive games, I'm in awe.

I'm in a similar boat to you and I struggle to finish much games these days much less make a dent in massive games like FF7 Rebirth.
Ben Hanson at MinnMax is another one who I have zero idea how he manages to do as much as he does. He's a new father, hosts and is part of the vast majority of MinnMax's content (which is a lot of content), and plays a ton of games too. Not only that, but to add another layer of "how does he do this?" Ben also seems to listen to a lot of his friends/colleague's content and podcasts. You'll regularly hear him mention how he was listening to the Bombcast, Fire Escape, Nextlander, etc in passing and it's like "...what? When?"

There are some old GB fans that don't keep with this stuff so it's understandable that every couple of months someone comes in and asks about it - which is absolutely fine.

Agreed, just let people have a few posts of talking it out. You spend years creating parasocial relationship with these people, you're naturally going to be curious when they seemingly just end out of nowhere. As long as it doesn't take over the discussion and get weird, whatever. We'll get back to rambling about Twin Peaks soon enough

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
both dungeons of hinterburg and flintlock look like games i want to like, but i think i'm good waiting on a big discount for now. also hearing a lot more positivity around kunitsu-gami, so that's another one going on the wishlist that i'll dig into late in the year.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
both dungeons of hinterburg and flintlock look like games i want to like, but i think i'm good waiting on a big discount for now. also hearing a lot more positivity around kunitsu-gami, so that's another one going on the wishlist that i'll dig into late in the year.

Kunitsu-gami is definitely good, but can be a bit repetitive. You can kinda just keep going but there's a good incentive to replay levels and it's frustrating if you need to do it 2-3 times. But each new level introduces some fun mechanics and a new unit usually so that's been fun.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Kunitsu-gami is definitely good, but can be a bit repetitive. You can kinda just keep going but there's a good incentive to replay levels and it's frustrating if you need to do it 2-3 times. But each new level introduces some fun mechanics and a new unit usually so that's been fun.
I was re-doing a longer level to get the "Yoshiro doesn't get damaged" challenge and I failed it towards the very end of the last phase in the second area which made me promptly decide well.. I'm never re-doing this again

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
I was re-doing a longer level to get the "Yoshiro doesn't get damaged" challenge and I failed it towards the very end of the last phase in the second area which made me promptly decide well.. I'm never re-doing this again

Yeah I was trying to do all 3 challenges in one run but its pretty much impossible with the level where Yoshiro gets possessed. I'm gonna do at least one replay to do an initial pass but then if I miss any I'll come back later

alternate

Nov 1, 2017

They do mention it briefly around the 56 minute mark. They messed up the timestamp and put Flintlock down twice.

00:46:17
) Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn [PC (Microsoft Windows), PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S] on Jul 18, 2024
00:56:16
) Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn [PC (Microsoft Windows), PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S] on Jul 18, 2024

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I find it bizarre how little they know about certain industry things. Just no idea what Netflix does with mobile games or what the deal is there. It's a good deal!
Just saw Arranger is on there. I was going to wait for a sale to play that but I can just play it on my phone. There's been a few times I've been surprised that a game I wanted to play was already available on Netflix.

Hopefully controller support is OK.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw Arranger is on there. I was going to wait for a sale to play that but I can just play it on my phone. There's been a few times I've been surprised that a game I wanted to play was already available on Netflix.

Hopefully controller support is OK.
To be fair, Arranger is a game that arguably works better with touch screen

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 21, 2021
Playing a lot of games when you are busy isn't that hard, it is just being time efficient, something a lot of people struggle with in this day and age. For instance, Vinny probably doesn't spend a whole lot of time on message boards and twitter and sub reddits and whatnot. That alone right there once you remove that out of the equation would free up a lot more time than people think. He probably compartilizes games in his head, so he will play one game for this two hour block, another game for this hour block, and once you add some sort of time limit to the equation, you would be surprised by how much you can zip through things. Because of things like the planagram, he probably isn't browsing around looking for a game to play and spending half an hour in his game library; he knows what is out, and whether he wants to play it or not.

I work 60 to 70 hours a week at times and have a social life and finish games like a beast, and it has nothing to do with my playing skill because I am not a terribly good player, its just about being focused. Also it helps if you can combine stuff; for instance, exercise and gaming together saves me a lot of time. Playing something like a visual novel while on the treadmill just kills two birds with one stone.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say that the game they played this friday was one of the most boring games I've seen them play. Nice seeing Abby though.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Watching Brad play Fallout, and see him reload a save every time the combat goes just a little bit wrong, is super relatable.
In Fallout 1 it's understandable although there was that part in the last stream where one of his companions blocked the door (common occurrence in Fallout 1) and despite doing well he just reloaded a save because it was bothering him so much that his other two companions couldn't join in.

Regarding companions it's such a weird thing for me because I had played through Fallout 1 a dozen times or so as a teenager but I never used companions. Looking back now I realize that it was making the game a lot harder for myself playing solo instead of roaming around with 3 additional NPC's with guns but somehow I talked myself into some sort of early version of "summoning in Souls games is cheap" and refused to use them.

Also it KILLS me that Brad never uses aimed shots, especially since his small gun skills are good enough for it and he can do critical damage by targeting eyes or groins. If he was never going to aim he should have taken Fast Shot at the start. At least he is putting two guns into his weapon slots unlike earlier where he would constantly keep swapping one gun in and out.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
It's not surprising that Jeff Gerstmann decided to put enough hours into the First Descendant so write a proper review for it. Why Jeff gets sucked into these spirals of being fascinated by middling games I'll never know.

alternate

Nov 1, 2017
No proper Yorkshireman would fork out sixteen quid fer a tree-hoor interactive gag, I tell thee. Must be meant to take the mick outta well-off southern numpties. For that brass, I could go see Kes at t'pictures an' still 'ave change to give mi ferret a chippie tea.

Anyroad, get yer cap off an' stand up for t' national anthem.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUsQ9Qs2DQo

store.steampowered.com

Thank Goodness You're Here! on Steam

Thank Goodness You're Here! is an absurd comedy slapformer set in the bizarre Northern English town of Barnsworth. As a traveling salesman, take the time to see the sights and meet the locals, who are very eager to give you a series of increasingly odd jobs…

Last edited:

magimix

Dec 9, 2018
Next Watchcast is going to be a banger.

Commando

I can already hear the steelpans and one-liners...

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
Some times it's nice when they do a movie you've already seen before. I enjoyed the Jackie Brown ep. I've skipped so many eps cuz I haven't seen the movie they decide to cover and I have a lot of other stuff I wanna check out that's personally highly priority.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Listening to last week's ramblecast now and I'm pretty sure the evo displate ad Alex was talking about was intentionally goofy.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
I was listening to a podcast with Drew on it and he mentioned his wife getting him a great gift for his birthday and I had no idea Drew was married. Obviously none of my business if he is or isn't but hey congrats to him!

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I was listening to a podcast with Drew on it and he mentioned his wife getting him a great gift for his birthday and I had no idea Drew was married. Obviously none of my business if he is or isn't but hey congrats to him!
I think I remember Vinny mentioning on a podcast recently going to a wedding and seeing lots of friends there, but didn't say for who. Must have been Drew