• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
So the name and info about the controller, that's it isn't it? And for a thread that is set to discuss next gen speculation I dont know if either could be classed as a bombshell, unless the next Xbox doesn't have a name or come with a controller.

Just seems to me this constant narrative about how far ahead Sony are in delivering news and info when to me, there isn't much separating either of them.

"XBoxTwoX, your mind is the controller."

Oct 25, 2017
So do we think these boxes are not going to allow external storage?

given how bloated games are these days that seems kind of unlikely. So I don't think we're going to see anything much different with these boxes than you get with a pc.

installed on internal yes faster load times. Installed on external platter slow load times. Just like if you run games on pc with a spinner.

I fully expect you will only be able to play games from the internal SSDs. Games will be built around that.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I fully expect you will only be able to play games from the internal SSDs. Games will be built around that.
Yeah seems that way, hence potentially having proprietary storage upgrade modules to reduce the amount of swapping games you'll need to do with external storage.

I wonder if they will allow some games to be ran off of external storage, as I'm sure most indie games won't need to run off the faster internal, and it could help reduce the amount of space used up in the internal storage. So they could have most AAA games requiring an on console install, but a tier of games where it's not a requirement.

I think the choice would be nice, although I figure we'll all get used to super fast game loading and want everything on the faster storage anyway after a while.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine thinking PS5 and Scarlett have the shown the same info regarding next gen when the OP has 3 different sections of PS5 stuff (console, controller, OS) + tech demo + confirming design of devkit vs 1 section for Scarlett that mirrors similar info on console info with the exception of utilizing GDDR6 memory.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
What? Why should they delay their console if a game gets delayed?
I think they need a big exclusive at launch, something like Breath of the Wild for the Switch. Of course, they don't need Halo Infinite to sell millions of Xbox during holidays 2020, but I think that the new Xbox will be better perceived if it has a great exclusive at launch, which will affect sales for more than the launch window.

The most important thing for a console is to be desirable for consumers. Wii U had a lot of amazing games, but they came too late, when everyone thought that the console was a failure. I think a launch in March 2021 with a major exclusive would be better for Microsoft than a launch in November 2020 without any big exclusive.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Hypothetically, if Halo slips to 2021 does MS delay Scarlett?
Not a chance, they do that and give sony a one year head start and they might as well kiss the next gen goodbye.
The SSD is the one thing we don't know about, leaked benchmarks kind of give us an idea of what PS5 has, seems safe to say around Ryzen 1700x & 5700 XT with some sort of HW RT, but the SSD speed is up in the air, though many people are assuming it's in the 4/Gb's range.
We know enough about what kinda speeds we should at least expect. What we don't know is how its real-world implementation will impact the next-gen consoles with regards to game design and QOL features. But we can guesstimate though.

If we look at the current-gen consoles and peg their peak HDD throughput at around 100MB/s (which they aren't) and we assume that with next-gen consoles we an average NVMe based SSD which sits at around 2GB/s (which everything so far suggests we will be getting much better than this), we can still put the SSD of the next-gen consoles at least 20x the performance of current-gen HDDs. I believe this is the absolute worst-case scenario we can expect.

Last edited:

Sebmugi

Nov 8, 2017
France
Death Strading PS4 Pro ... i can't wait to see next gen game.. ^^

gbEEj.png

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
How fast are the current console hard drives? I was thinking like 50mb/s.

I told my dad about next gen systems getting ssd's as a standard and he said "it's about time".

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Dammit. Forgot about in C you need StrCmp() and all the stuff about pointers and null-terminated strings. I did not write code in C for 2 decades.

In any sane modern language the comparison should be undefined, as lexicographic order for strings is locale specific rather than absolute. Even equality is complicated because different Unicode sequences can be canonically equivalent; different sequences of scalars can represent the same sequence of grapheme clusters.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
In any sane modern language the comparison should be undefined, as lexicographic order for strings is locale specific rather than absolute. Even equality is complicated because different Unicode sequences can be canonically equivalent; different sequences of scalars can represent the same sequence of grapheme clusters.
I got an admin message to not further derail the thread. sniff. So I won't continue to discuss this very interesting topic ;)

And you and inpHilltr8r are right. It is undefined! Produces a syntax error!

Last edited:

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Code:
bool compared = "Xbox Scarlett" > "Playstation 5"; // fact: always true!

Ok, I thought more about it.

You said that its not necessary about tf numbers. So...what if your ">" sign is not a "greater-than" sign but an arrow. Meaning Xbox Scarlett before Playstation 5. So Xbox releasing before Playstation maybe?

Yes, I am bored xD

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ok, I thought more about it.

You said that its not necessary about tf numbers. So...what if your ">" sign is not a "greater-than" sign but an arrow. Meaning Xbox Scarlett before Playstation 5. So Xbox releasing before Playstation maybe?
I got an admin message to not further derail the thread. sniff. So I won't continue to discuss this very interesting topic ;)

Oct 25, 2017
That whole presentation was such a disappointment to me,we saw virtually nothing,just some bland CGI :(
Thought no release date was announced yet. Was hoping it would be a next gen game.
It was announced for current gen. And while it was just a CGI reveal, we got details about how this will be their most ambitious game yet and what not. Sekiro was just a B tier project with Elden being the title with the bulk of their efforts behind.

Bloodborne is my GotG, so I am super hyped for Elden.

I am considering waiting for PS5 for those technical boosts though. 🤔

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
And, like I very clearly said, I didn't mention Sony anywhere in that statement. You assumed my position. You also ignored other parts of what I said like Sony mentioning the Bluepoint game.

And yes, please let it end here because good grief.
None is further ahead when it comes to revealing stuff about their console. It seems like people think that having two long articles from WIRED is better than some minutes video at a conference.

We know that both are using Zen 2, Navi, SSD, hardware accelerated RT. We know of Halo Infinite and Bluepoint working on something. Minor differences will be Sony talking about their controller and Microsoft stating that they are going GDDR6. Outside that, we know nothing about clock speeds, RAM amount etc.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of that Sony "catridge" patent we discussed the other day, i see that clickbait articles are already out and they are terrible:

Forget the PS5, Sony might be developing a different console unlike anything we've seen in years

They are basing their articles on the cartridge design and they forgot that PS5 will officially support UHD Bluray discs? Now, what if they know about the ejectable seats that anexanhume posted days ago that I todl him to hide? Thank God this wasn't widespread otehrwise you will see articles turning the PS5 into rollercoaster.

Oct 25, 2017
None is further ahead when it comes to revealing stuff about their console. It seems like people think that having two long articles from WIRED is better than some minutes video at a conference.

We know that both are using Zen 2, Navi, SSD, hardware accelerated RT. We know of Halo Infinite and Bluepoint working on something. Minor differences will be Sony talking about their controller and Microsoft stating that they are going GDDR6. Outside that, we know nothing about clock speeds, RAM amount etc.
Okay.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia

We've also seen how much faster Spidey loads on the PS5 SSD solution

Oct 27, 2017
Could the cartridge just be a weird way of selling external SSDs so ppl can expand storage without compromising performance? If games are made with it in mind it may be required for PS5.

id love to see a PsP2/3 with a 7nm or 5nm AMD APU that approaches PS4 performance and if they could release a Switch size that played all PS4 games I'd say release it as PSP2/PS4 Portable but idk if that's possible for years

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Just a quick reminder. We do take people posting fake "insider info" seriously, and this includes things like using coded messages to hint at said info. Having fun and joking around about rumors and the like is fine, but if you're going to do something silly you need to make it clear to everyone that it's done in jest. A short disclaimer in spoiler tags is fine.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Ok, we talked about how lockheart was going to cripple and hidner the whole vision of next-gen for being the lowest common denomonator and thank God it was scrapped, but I am starting to think, if Stadia is considered a next-gen platform, will it have the same effect like Lockheart, knowing that it has an old architecture and no RT capabilities, no fast SSD and whatever defines the 2 next-gen consoles? Or will it have separate games devloped for it while next-gen consoles and capable PCs will be on another league, until maybe the second revision of Stadia comes?

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of new games getting revealed at X019 in a few days, ill be damned if none of them or Scarlett exclusive.
This would be really cool, and I think it would make the lack of info on the console itself forgivable.

However, I just can't see them revealing a next gen exclusive game for a system before revealing the system itself.

Maybe we'll at least get a name or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.