• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
2020 could go down as one of the best years in the history of gaming

FF7 remake
Doom Eternal
Halo Infinite
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
Metroid Prime 4 (?)
PlayStation 5
Xbox Scarlett
Google Stadia base

That's two Next-gen consoles and their launch games. The full roll out of a brand new platform and 1st party (Stadia) along with your standard slew of big GOTY-class titles.

Wallet breaking, for sure.

I think it could rival the very best years. Only 2017 had a hardware launch (and with it, a single big game, BOTW) 1998, 2001 and 2007 didn't. Next year we're getting three.
Metroid prime 4 got a full reboot from scratch at the beginning of the year, no way its 2020.

But yea 2020 is gonna be incredible.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony has revealed more (the way it was done isn't really relevant) but they both still have a lot to reveal.

Apart from the name, PS5 - what more do we know about the next Playstation over the next Xbox? Didn't Sony have to release an update to the article to confirm hardware ray tracing was in, as the first article didn't make it clear? Not looking to rustle any feathers just want to know if I've missed something cause to me they've both shared roughly the same kind of info, they've just delivered it differently.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think there's also a good chance neither Ghosts nor Halo make 2020.
Halo missing 2020 will be very interesting considering they already committed to a scarlett launch. Considering the rumored issues of the single player, i can see them launching the multiplayer mode only and release the single player later (maybe even have them as separate releases, $30 each)

About ghost of tsushima, hmm. Apparently they were targeting H1 2020 and got pushed to H2 2020 because of TLOU2's delay, which implies they are still on schedule? But we really lack info on the state of the game, maybe sony will just push it to a cross gen launch game at this point.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do we think these boxes are not going to allow external storage?

given how bloated games are these days that seems kind of unlikely. So I don't think we're going to see anything much different with these boxes than you get with a pc.

installed on internal yes faster load times. Installed on external platter slow load times. Just like if you run games on pc with a spinner.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
installed on internal yes faster load times. Installed on external platter slow load times. Just like if you run games on pc with a spinner.

Being able to run the game on an external slower HD could break minimum bandwith speeds, so a game-engine would need to be able to scale to that (altough this will probably happen with multi-platform games). It makes more sense that there will be a required 'move to system storage' functionality.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I wish Metroid Prime 4 next year but I just don't see that happening. Same with Diablo IV. Thinking late 2021 at the very earliest :(

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Klee's info points to us getting roughly this, not to mention that not hitting a perfect 60fps would still be acceptable. I would prefer that R* work on a better implementation of reconstruction, though. Then they could use higher settings.
I think every dev will need a good reconstruction technique next gen, i think native 4K with next gen visuals/ray tracing at 60fps isn't too realistic, but if you half the pixel count, then it's much more so.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

FF7 remake
Doom Eternal
Halo Infinite
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
Metroid Prime 4 (?)
PlayStation 5
Xbox Scarlett
Google Stadia base

That's two Next-gen consoles and their launch games. The FULL roll out of a brand new platform and 1st party (Stadia) along with your standard slew of big GOTY-class titles.

I think it could rival the very best years. Only 2017 had a hardware launch (and with it, a single big game, BOTW) 1998, 2001 and 2007 didn't. Next year we're getting three.
You are forgetting 2004 my good friend lol, but yeah im legit gonna have to skip a few games, gonna cost too much.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Apart from the name, PS5 - what more do we know about the next Playstation over the next Xbox? Didn't Sony have to release an update to the article to confirm hardware ray tracing was in, as the first article didn't make it clear? Not looking to rustle any feathers just want to know if I've missed something cause to me they've both shared roughly the same kind of info, they've just delivered it differently.
Sony went public with all the info we know first. Hardware raytracing was already publicized, but many thought that they were using tricky words, and that they didn't have hardware ray-tracing.

Microsoft followed suit at E3 with a video montage of the same info that Sony revealed months before. So they haven't really done anything but an 'us too' video.

Sony then released new information concerning BC, controller info (haptic feedback etc.), and some more information regarding storage and game installation (with some UI tidbits).

So thus far, Sony has been first to talk about next-gen details (we've even had video demos of the SSD in Spider-Man), while Microsoft hasn't really said anything that wasn't already said by Sony.

I don't know if we'll ever see Microsoft talk about anything next-gen before Sony does, until we reach E3 season next-year where Microsoft traditionally goes first, and well, they don't have a choice but to talk about it.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Halo missing 2020 will be very interesting considering they already committed to a scarlett launch. Considering the rumored issues of the single player, i can see them launching the multiplayer mode only and release the single player later (maybe even have them as separate releases, $30 each)

About ghost of tsushima, hmm. Apparently they were targeting H1 2020 and got pushed to H2 2020 because of TLOU2's delay, which implies they are still on schedule? But we really lack info on the state of the game, maybe sony will just push it to a cross gen launch game at this point.
Basically a game will get a launch date once they enter the polishing phase of development, which is typically a 6 month window. If a title doesn't have a launch date yet, I generally assume it to be at least 6 months away, with no guarantee we'll enter that phase until they say so.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony went public with all the info we know first. Hardware raytracing was already publicized, but many thought that they were using tricky words, and that they didn't have hardware ray-tracing.

Microsoft followed suit at E3 with a video montage of the same info that Sony revealed months before. So they haven't really done anything but an 'us too' video.

Sony then released new information concerning BC, controller info (haptic feedback etc.), and some more information regarding storage and game installation (with some UI tidbits).

So thus far, Sony has been first to talk about next-gen details (we've even had video demos of the SSD in Spider-Man), while Microsoft hasn't really said anything that wasn't already said by Sony.

I don't know if we'll ever see Microsoft talk about anything next-gen before Sony does, until we reach E3 season next-year where Microsoft traditionally goes first, and well, they don't have a choice but to talk about it.

So when you boil all that down its roughly the same info provided by both of them then?

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018

FF7 remake
Doom Eternal
Halo Infinite
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
Metroid Prime 4 (?)
PlayStation 5
Xbox Scarlett
Google Stadia base

That's two Next-gen consoles and their launch games. The FULL roll out of a brand new platform and 1st party (Stadia) along with your standard slew of big GOTY-class titles.

No kidding, I already couldn't keep up with the games this year. Now I got all that plus the C9 or potential C10 I'm planning on getting. Whew, gonna be a great year for sure!

Oct 25, 2017
The last article release went into controller details, for example. The name that you mentioned. Bluepoint working on a PS5 game, Etc... Sony has quite clearly shown more.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

FF7 remake
Doom Eternal
Halo Infinite
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
Metroid Prime 4 (?)
PlayStation 5
Xbox Scarlett
Google Stadia base

+ hopefully Elden Ring

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Cmon we need some GPU teraflops leaks😁 i suppose something between 8TF - 12TF GCN teraflops is realistic?

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The last article release went into controller details, for example. The name that you mentioned. Etc... Sony has quite clearly shown more.

So the name and info about the controller, that's it isn't it? And for a thread that is set to discuss next gen speculation I dont know if either could be classed as a bombshell, unless the next Xbox doesn't have a name or come with a controller.

Just seems to me this constant narrative about how far ahead Sony are in delivering news and info when to me, there isn't much separating either of them.

Sep 29, 2019

FF7 remake
Doom Eternal
Halo Infinite
Ghost of Tsushima
Cyberpunk 2077
The Last of Us 2
Metroid Prime 4 (?)
PlayStation 5
Xbox Scarlett
Google Stadia base

Don't forget MS Flight simulator!

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
Man, the thirst for the new gen is real

I can't wait to play borderlands 3 without it running like an ass

Oct 25, 2017
So the name and info about the controller, that's it isn't it? And for a thread that is set to discuss next gen speculation I dont know if either could be classed as a bombshell, unless the next Xbox doesn't have a name or come with a controller.

Just seems to me this constant narrative about how far ahead Sony are in delivering news and info when to me, there isn't much separating either of them.
Well, I didn't say anything about Sony being "far ahead" of anything. I even acknowledged that both still have a lot to show. You're applying your own interpretation there.

And also, what exactly is the issue with Sony being ahead in this regard anyway? Everything doesn't have to be a war. They will both have things that are ahead of the other.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What exactly are you looking for? You already seem to have made up your mind that both talked about as much. I also don't really see the problem with who talked more about there next gen console.....but i guess here goes:

They didn't just say we are making a DS5 they went a bit deeper in the changes of the controller and what it entails, even going as far as giving examples.
They also talked about the bluray disk 100GB support. They have showed SSD performance. Only thing Sony hasn't talked about is CPU clocks, GPU specifications, Memory and Memory type.

Honestly if you really want to know what they talked about just search it for yourself.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I didn't say anything about Sony being "far ahead" of anything. I even acknowledged that both still have a lot to show. You're applying your own interpretation there.

And also, what exactly is the issue with Sony being ahead in this regard anyway? Everything doesn't have to be a war. They will both have things that are ahead of the other.

I was just replying to your initial post about Scarlett and how quiet MS have been and how they need to have an event, whereas Sony dont have too. There's no war going on here, I'm just trying to play Devils Advocate :)

Oct 25, 2017
I was just replying to your initial post about Scarlett and how quiet MS have been and how they need to have an event, whereas Sony dont have too. There's no war going on here, I'm just trying to play Devils Advocate :)
I didn't say Sony didn't need to have one. You assumed that was my position because of what I said about MS.

Just to be clear, yes, both need a reveal event. Either way, Sony has shown more about their console up to this point.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
What exactly are you looking for? You already seem to have made up your mind that both talked about as much. I also don't really see the problem with who talked more about there next gen console.....but i guess here goes:

They didn't just say we are making a DS5 they went a bit deeper in the changes of the controller and what it entails, even going as far as giving examples.
They also talked about the bluray disk 100GB support. They have showed SSD performance. Only thing Sony hasn't talked about is CPU clocks, GPU specifications, Memory and Memory type.

Honestly if you really want to know what they talked about just search it for yourself.
The SSD is the one thing we don't know about, leaked benchmarks kind of give us an idea of what PS5 has, seems safe to say around Ryzen 1700x & 5700 XT with some sort of HW RT, but the SSD speed is up in the air, though many people are assuming it's in the 4/Gb's range.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't say Sony didn't need to have one. You assumed that was my position because of what I said about MS.

Just to be clear, yes, both need a reveal event. Either way, Sony has shown more about their console up to this point.

This is what you said.

Without a doubt. It will be the same as this gen.

I mean, with how little MS has spoken on Scar, they basically need to have an event.

I feel like were going round in circles and a mountain is getting made out of a mole hill. To me both hardware manufacturers have revealed roughly the same info with the difference being how they were delivered, others feel that Sony are far ahead and have given out lots more information, no drama required here.

Let's leave it here and look forward to any event they both decide to put on :)

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
The most we will get from Scarlett at XO19 is maybe a small update about where the system is in development and what Scarlett means for MS next gen. No spec blow out, no name reveal, no tech demos. That will probably be revealed around the spring time.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should, but they won't.
What? Why should they delay their console if a game gets delayed?
The SSD is the one thing we don't know about, leaked benchmarks kind of give us an idea of what PS5 has, seems safe to say around Ryzen 1700x & 5700 XT with some sort of HW RT, but the SSD speed is up in the air, though many people are assuming it's in the 4/Gb's range.
We got a couple of leaked benchmarks so nothing seems safe to assume to me. Didn't Sony talk about their ssd speed in the wired article? Fastest currently available?

Oct 25, 2017
This is what you said.

I feel like were going round in circles and a mountain is getting made out of a mole hill. To me both hardware manufacturers have revealed roughly the same info with the difference being how they were delivered, others feel that Sony are far ahead and have given out lots more information, no drama required here.

Let's leave it here and look forward to any event they both decide to put on :)
And, like I very clearly said, I didn't mention Sony anywhere in that statement. You assumed my position. You also ignored other parts of what I said like Sony mentioning the Bluepoint game.

And yes, please let it end here because good grief.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Regarding the cartridge patent, is it at all possible that if those are meant to store PS5 games that they're using ReRAM tech in there? Use 128GB for most games and 256 for really huge games. It shouldn't be THAT much more expensive than equivalent SD card type storage but should provide a far larger speed boost, no?

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What? Why should they delay their console if a game gets delayed?

We got a couple of leaked benchmarks so nothing seems safe to assume to me. Didn't Sony talk about their ssd speed in the wired article? Fastest currently available?

They said it's faster than currently available SSDs. So it has to be in the 4-5Gb/s range as current NVMe's are around 3,5Gb/s (correct me if I'm wrong).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
So do we think these boxes are not going to allow external storage?

given how bloated games are these days that seems kind of unlikely. So I don't think we're going to see anything much different with these boxes than you get with a pc.

I'm thinking some sort of proprietary port (PCIe passthrough) for plugging in 256/512/1TB SSD cartridges that will be sold at a significant margin. Memory cards are back, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.