Status
Not open for further replies.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
One thing I never posted here, but this cinematic... as I have heard from a reliable source, was not actually real time on that GPU in that form in that video. Other footage out there you may have seen of it, yeah, but that video? I heard that it is, in spite of what may have been written about it, not actually real-time. RRather pre-rendered out and then just playing back.

This is accelerated footage of realtime rendering, they say it runs at 24 frames per second at 4k but it runs much slower than this(probably sub 10 fps maybe sub 5 fps). I suppose the best looking games will not be far from this after seeing Death Stranding. I never say it will be the standard.

EDIT: Death Stranding is an improvement of the Decima engine for PS4. Using the PS5 as the base they will do much better than DS.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I never posted here, but this cinematic... as I have heard from a reliable source, was not actually real time on that GPU in that form in that video. Other footage out there you may have seen of it, yeah, but that video? I heard that it is, in spite of what may have been written about it, not actually real-time. RRather pre-rendered out and then just playing back.
I am sure cutscenes will look as good as that. The cutscenes this gen already look fantastic.

What do you expect games to look like next gen?

I remember last gen people saying games wouldnt come close to those infamous Skyrim with a 100 mods pics. but we have games that far exceed the level of quality seen here.

9ead22d44374551e9a9f053de9ad3d64.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

Holy shit, we've been bamboozled, a pre rendered tech demo, now that's some hearsay right there.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Update on all of TSMC's processes. One interesting note that is that N5 was optimized for HPC from the start, so a revised console SoC could happen fairly quick if desired.

fuse.wikichip.org

TSMC 5-Nanometer Update

An update on TSMC's upcoming 5-nanometer process technology.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Quantum computing isn't really a substitute for traditional computing. It's (theoretically) really good at a small sliver of very complex problems (optimization problems, stuff with a vast multidimensional search space) and..... not good at all at everything else. That is to say, it will (theoretically) be awesome to traverse an energy landscape and find the lowest state in protein folding, something that takes a ridiculously large amount of processing currently, not so awesome to do the kind of extremely scalar number crunching the vast majority of our computing consists of, though.

Even if you managed to characterize every single problem you use your traditional computer to solve as an optimization problem (there are some theories that point it might be... something), it's akin to using a nuke to kill individual, single ants.
Raytracing could benefit from this. As it requires complex calculation of Ray's.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
I remember Sony told that there will be less first party game next gen compared to Ps4 but also better game.

It will take more time to make those games like Death Stranding if we want better AI and better graphics.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
14.2TF? Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
PSX before this year ends with PS5 reveal or teasers with running games will be one of the smartest move. It would create so much buzz till next year real reveal. Specially since MS ain't gonna do anything Scarlett this year. PSX right after X19 with said above will create a meltdown :D

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
PSX before this year ends with PS5 reveal or teasers with running games will be one of the smartest move. It would create so much buzz till next year real reveal. Specially since MS ain't gonna do anything Scarlett this year. PSX right after X19 with said above will create a meltdown :D

I would think seeing games running on PS5 would be noteworthy regardless of what MS is doing. They both have to show something at some point so not really understanding the meltdown part. But yeah, I'd love for them to have something for this year.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
I remember Sony told that there will be less first party game next gen compared to Ps4 but also better game.

It will take more time to make those games like Death Stranding if we want better AI and better graphics.

No Shawn Layden didn't exactly said that, He said that Sony was right now making fewer games per year but their bigger pretty much like everyone in this industry then you look at the output of studios like Rocksteady or Rockstar.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I still think Microsoft is going to give us something Scarlett-related at X019, but man...

If they skipped Scarlett entirely there AND Sony followed up with more PS5 info two weeks later. That'd be a big PR win for them for sure.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I still think Microsoft is going to give us something Scarlett-related at X019, but man...

If they skipped Scarlett entirely there AND Sony followed up with more PS5 info two weeks later. That'd be a big PR win for them for sure.
You are not going to win or lose anything by announcing specs on a console that is a year away. There is way too much time for anything to count as a loss or win for any one company at this moment.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are not going to win or lose anything by announcing specs on a console that is a year away. There is way too much time for anything to count as a loss or win for any one company at this moment.

I disagree, but also think you might be viewing a "win" differently here. In terms of PR, I'd view a "win" as anything that gets people talking about one thing over another.

Most of those "wins" are temporary, but they add up overtime. The more Sony and Microsoft get people thinking about these boxes ahead of time, the more likely we are to buy.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I disagree, but also think you might be viewing a "win" differently here. In terms of PR, I'd view a "win" as anything that gets people talking about one thing over another.

Most of those "wins" are temporary, but they add up overtime. The more Sony and Microsoft get people thinking about these boxes ahead of time, the more likely we are to buy.
What are people really going to be talking about? They both have the same CPU, they are running the same GPU family, they both are using SSD, and I would take an educated guess that they are both using GDDR6.

What will move the needle is pricing, and people seeing games running.....and there is a show where the latter is done, E3......next year.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
What are people really going to be talking about? They both have the same CPU, they are running the same GPU family, they both are using SSD, and I would take an educated guess that they are both using GDDR6.

What will move the needle is pricing, and people seeing games running.....and there is a show where the latter is done, E3......next year.

Wow
You really took it to another level and way off course .

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Wow
You really took it to another level and way off course .
Let me put it another way. What have people been talking about? What are people speculating?

It is nothing more than potential clock speeds, die sizes, CU counts or SSD speeds. What will some drip feed information do to really move the debate forward in terms of getting people talking? Not much.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're still looking at this the wrong way.

Sony is doing more to keep the conversation around PS5 going right now. That's pretty important when the consoles will end up with similar hardware.

It's obviously not the only factor in consumer choice, and it doesn't mean that PS5 will "win" the generation. But... It does mean that there's more buzz around PS5 right now. That's a "win" for Sony, even if it's only temporary. That's literally all I'm saying.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Let me put it another way. What have people been talking about? What are people speculating?

It is nothing more than potential clock speeds, die sizes, CU counts or SSD speeds. What will some drip feed information do to really move the debate forward in terms of getting people talking? Not much.

Bro, we weren't talking about hardware, we weren't talking about winning or losing, we weren't talking about whatever you mentioned in your post.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
You're still looking at this the wrong way.

Sony is doing more to keep the conversation around PS5 going right now. That's pretty important when the consoles will end up with similar hardware.

It's obviously not the only factor in consumer choice, and it doesn't mean that PS5 will "win" the generation. But... It does mean that there's more buzz around PS5 right now. That's a "win" for Sony, even if it's only temporary. That's literally all I'm saying.
The last time Mark Cerny gave a WIRED interview, talk was about hardware accelerated ray tracing. Not long after they came up with a release window.

How much of a difference was it?

Microsoft will do what they want. Sony will do what they want, their strategies should not be the same as to how they approach their next console information. If anything, we have pretty much the same thing from the two companies.
Bro, we weren't talking about hardware, we weren't talking about winning or losing, we weren't talking about whatever you mentioned in your post.
You really should not be quoting me then. What I replied to was 'winning'. My opinion is that there is absolutely nothing lost or gained whether we get more information this year or next year. As someone said in another thread, no pre orders are being gained or lost.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last time Mark Cerny gave a WIRED interview, talk was about hardware accelerated ray tracing. Not long after they came up with a release window.

How much of a difference was it?

Microsoft will do what they want. Sony will do what they want, their strategies should not be the same as to how they approach their next console information. If anything, we have pretty much the same thing from the two companies.

You really should not be quoting me then. What I replied to was 'winning'. My opinion is that there is absolutely nothing lost or gained whether we get more information this year or next year. As someone said in another thread, no pre orders are being gained or lost.

It seems clear that we're not going to come to a mutual agreement on this. You've got your own impression of what I'm saying, I have another. I think we're good here.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It seems clear that we're not going to come to a mutual agreement on this. You've got your own impression of what I'm saying, I have another. I think we're good here.
Yes. I seem to think that these companies have thought through a lot of how they are going to do their product reveals. In this thread though, it is more about who announces what first, stealing the thunder.
Lol,
How did what I said and you quoted me turned into hardware vs hardware and winning and losing!?. Lmao
Might be that you maybe did not extrapolate. What we have had so far is an incomplete hardware picture from both. What they have both confirmed is pretty much the same thing i.e. same CPU type, same GPU family, hardware accelerated ray tracing, a SSD solution that is running faster than what was in the market at the time of reveal.

If it is not hardware, then what makes these consoles interesting? What has been shown thus far if not only to show what the hardware is and what they could achieve using it, things like talk of 8K, 120fps. It has all been hardware, even the SpiderMan traversal was highlighting hardware.

And winning, was not my post. You really should not have quoted my post if you could not comprehend it. LMAO.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I seem to think that these companies have thought through a lot of how they are going to do their product reveals. In this thread though, it is more about who announces what first, stealing the thunder.

Might be that you maybe did not extrapolate. What we have had so far is an incomplete hardware picture from both. What they have both confirmed is pretty much the same thing i.e. same CPU type, same GPU family, hardware accelerated ray tracing, a SSD solution that is running faster than what was in the market at the time of reveal.

If it is not hardware, then what makes these consoles interesting? And winning, was not my post. You really should not have quoted my post if you could not comprehend it. LMAO.

Bro, I don't know if you are awake or half asleep. Like seriously, you can't just butt in into a conversation and make assumptions based on your own wrong observations which had nothing to do with the actual conversation at hand. For the last time, we weren't talking hardware, nor winning or losing. Get some sleep.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bro, I don't know if you are awake or half asleep. Like seriously, you can't just butt in into a conversation and make assumptions based on your own observations which has nothing to do with the actual conversation at hand. For the last time, we weren't talking hardware, nor winning or losing. Get some sleep.

What were you actually talking about then, PR wins?

EsqBob

Nov 7, 2017
Let's all remember how the PS3 was supposed to do 120fps:

www.eurogamer.net

PS3 could run at 120 fps

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi has claimed that the PlayStation 3 will run games at an unprecedented (an…

And it did actually have a 120 fps game: Super Stardust 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.