• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The safe bet would probably be not to expect good launch exclusives. Other than Knack and killzone, what did ps4 launch with that wasn't on any other platform?

I thought Shadowfall was a great graphical showcase but a very average game. I didn't like it at all.

I had a good time with Resogun and still haven't played Knack.

Launch titles are nearly always weak.

But to try and launch with no exclusives is an interesting strategy. It's going to be difficult to generate that "must have" feeling if everything is available elsewhere.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you guys keep this thread going with so little information? We basically know nothing. Or is there concrete information for both?

Computex happened last monday, and we know for a fact that parts that were announced by AMD at that event, will be used in the PS5.
Since there was more info released about them during that show, it gave tmore ammunition to those who like to speculate.

Oct 27, 2017
The safe bet would probably be not to expect good launch exclusives. Other than Knack and killzone, what did ps4 launch with that wasn't on any other platform?
Drive club and Watch Dogs (3rd party) we're launch titles until shortly before launch

While obviously many people didn't like Killzone or Knack (I loved Shadow Fall) it's important to remember that Sony had planned to have 3 Major first party games, two new IPs, at launch: Killzone, Knack, Driveclub (plus Resogun)

And Infamous came out only a few months after.

They also launched Gran Turismo 6, GOW Ascension, Beyond Two Souls (not Sony but exclusive), TLOU, Pupeteer on PS3 in 2013.

This time they will probably have patches to enhance PS4 releases like Tsushima, TLOU2, DS for PS5.

I can see at least two Sony games at launch. PS4 had 3 on day one and was meant to have 4. Varying scale of course.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
Computex happened last monday, and we know for a fact that parts that were announced by AMD at that event, will be used in the PS5.
Since there was more info released about them during that show, it gave the more ammunition to those who like to speculate.
I get the speculation. But I underestimated how big the speculation would be. There seems a real thirst for the new consoles. Which I didn't see coming. Certainly when the graphics will not go forward very much if they want to go 4K.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How do you guys keep this thread going with so little information? We basically know nothing. Or is there concrete information for both?

Since there was more info released about them during that show, it gave tmore ammunition to those who like to speculate.
I get the speculation. But I underestimated how big the speculation would be. There seems a real thirst for the new consoles. Which I didn't see coming. Certainly when the graphics will not go forward very much if they want to go 4K.
This thread is about ...

giphy.gif

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

Some people aren't fond of playing good looking games at "hopefully, cross your fingers" 30fps.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be generous and assume that Anaconda eeks out an extra .5 (half) TF over the PS5's 12.9 TF. But you'll be expected to pay $100 more to own an Anaconda.
where have you been? the 12.9 tflops dream is dead.

the new Navi DESKTOP chip is somewhere between 40-50 CUs. you arent getting the 56CUs you need at 1.8ghz to get the 12.9 tflops.

they changed the architecture from GCN. You arent getting 64 CUs in that 255mm2 die that was shown at the AMD conference. leaks suggest its a 40 CU chip max. thats 9.2 tflops. Best case scenario, Sony with Cerny's magic increases that to 44 CUs and you get 10 tflops which are equivalent to 12.5 vega 64 tflops.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Launch titles are nearly always weak.

But to try and launch with no exclusives is an interesting strategy. It's going to be difficult to generate that "must have" feeling if everything is available elsewhere.
Yeah it'll be interesting to see how they're tackling the new situation. Great games sell but without next gen exclusives the system launch will essentially be like the Pro and X launches and I don't think those set the world on fire, or did they?

MS is also in an interesting position regarding system-sellers since everything they release is on PC now, the buzz will be there but maybe not "OMG!!! I must get the new Xbox!!!1!!1!". It'll be more about getting people into the ecosystem, PC or Xbox, and then get them to stay.

On the other hand, it'll be much easier to get a PR boost from record breaking sales figures since everything is on XB1, XB2 and PC. That's a big userbase.

Deleted member 11479

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am a lot more optimistic about next-gen Playstation launch. I think Sony will be more "focused" with next-gen launch titles than they were with PS4. In 2013 they were still supporting Vita, and had exclusive titles coming for PS3 even after the launch of PS4 (Gran Turismo 6, Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus).

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
How easy/hard is it to implement raytracing?

Lets say the ps4/xbox one version of a game has the currently used implementation in games, and a next gen version of the same game has raytracing (either full or limited)?

Is it a time intensive process for developers? Or you just compile something or other and the engine does it mostly for you?

Oct 27, 2017
where have you been? the 12.9 tflops dream is dead.

the new Navi DESKTOP chip is somewhere between 40-50 CUs. you arent getting the 56CUs you need at 1.8ghz to get the 12.9 tflops.

they changed the architecture from GCN. You arent getting 64 CUs in that 255mm2 die that was shown at the AMD conference. leaks suggest its a 40 CU chip max. thats 9.2 tflops. Best case scenario, Sony with Cerny's magic increases that to 44 CUs and you get 10 tflops which are equivalent to 12.5 vega 64 tflops.

Believe what you want. I'm on the 12.9 train 'til the end ;)

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I probably won't get a new gen Xbox console right away. Currently happy with my X. Feels like I have lots of life in it. But may feel differently a year from now.
That's for the best. I'm not getting a next gen console in the first year either. Gonna wait for the 1st revision to sort out any manufacturing problems if there's any.

Erimriv

Oct 30, 2017
Hopefully we'll see at E3 gameplays and some details of the next generation of games truly designed with Zen2, Ssd's and 10+ Tfs of gpu power in mind. Too bad we'll have to wait almots a year and a half for these new consoles. I'm eager to upgrade.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im just curious how the low end Xbox is going to kneecap xbox only and multi platform development

The idea of a generation of games where everyone has a SSD sounds amazing but you know that lockhart is going to cut that first to save cost

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Hopefully we'll see at E3 gameplays and some details of the next generation of games truly designed with Zen2, Ssd's and 10+ Tfs of gpu power in mind. Too bad we'll have to wait almots a year and a half for these new consoles. I'm eager to upgrade.
Are you sure we'll have 10+ TF of GPU power in these consoles?

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im just curious how the low end Xbox is going to kneecap xbox only and multi platform development

The idea of a generation of games where everyone has a SSD sounds amazing but you know that lockhart is going to cut that first to save cost
Dont think they would.

As much as I dislike the idea, think cutting the disk drive would save cost for it.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
12.9 tf
Ryzen 3.2ghz
2tbSSD+
16gbHBM2
499$

Let's go next gen!
That new thread smell!

Also where the traditional thread poll?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disc drives are cheap as hell. It would save a few bucks but nowhere near enough to be meaningful like swapping a SSD for a HDD would be
Yeah, but gutting the SSD would really gut what could be possible in terms of gameplay.

Think that has to be one of the most important inclusion in next gen consoles.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Lockhart is going to have an SSD according to insiders.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
KrazyKen Friday

8 core Zen2 cores
2 x Navi Chiplets at 1600 mhz, 80 Cus, 128 rops, 16.4 teraflops
16GB of HBM2, 4096 bit bus, 800+ GB/s
All on a 800mm2 silicon interposer.

8GB of DDR4, 2GB for SSD Cache, 6GB for OS
1TB of SSD

FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hell even if you peg the PS4 at 11TF and the Ana at 12.5TF (that's an over 10% advantage) it wouldn't mean anything. And the same applies the other way around to. Like that's what? 10% better framerates when both are capped at 30fps or 60fps? 10% more rez when bot have enough power to pus the native rez? Like for there, to be a noticeable difference in power there has to be an at least 30%-40% GPU difference.

Yh that was a mixup. I can't see Ana being 20%+ more powerful than the PS5 though. But if it were then it may at least be able to make a case for the "obviously" better 4K console.

Naaaa.... that was just a mixup in my post. I personally expect Lockhart to be a rebranded XB1X. A Ryzen CPU and around a 36CU GPU clocked at around 1400Mhz for around 6.5TF.
MS would need 48 CUs at 1.8 tflops to hit 11 tflops. That would make the GPU even bigger than 255mm2, no? the wcfftech site lists 40 CUs for the main Navi chip. the X1x was a 232mm2 chip in a die 350mm2 in size. I dont see how MS can add 20% more CUs without going above 280mm2 just for the GPU alone.

But say MS is going all in and they can do it with a 375mm2 die, i dont see Sony going over 255m2 just for the GPU alone especially with the latest leak suggesting a 311mm2 die.

PS4 40 CU
Xbox 2 48 CU (20% jump)

Believe what you want. I'm on the 12.9 train 'til the end ;)

god speed.

KrazyKen Friday

8 core Zen2 cores

1TB of SSD

still cant believe krazyken let himself get jerked around by nvidia like that. why in the world didnt he ask for something as good as the xbox 360 GPU? they came out a year later. not to mention, IBM pulling a littlefinger and betraying him by selling MS the tech behind the Cell.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
KrazyKen Friday

8 core Zen2 cores

1TB of SSD

You go all in and crazy on the GPU and then there is only a 1TB SSD????? Disappointing for a #KrazyKenFridayPrediction aka #InsanityFridayPrediction

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And even if they have a 30% difference in favor of one or the other, thats native 4k (2160p) vs 1800p. Does anybody actually cares about that kind of a difference in such high resolutions? I mean, it's cool for marketing and being able to claim the title of the most powerful console, but will anyone who doesn't watch DF videos be able to spot the difference?

It's funny how much hysteria a 10TF vs 13TF console war will create here while the real world reunification will be games running at 1800p on one and 2160p on the other :)
Exactly. Something as high as a 30% difference in GPU power will only translate to Native 4K vs 1800p, and at those resolutions that is near impossible t tell apart. This s why i think its just stupid for any platform to focus on being "the most powerful" even if that means they also end up being more expensive. Price parity and the games to me is far mo important. And be I MS or sony, they can have identically priced 4K consoles with one being able to still boast a 5%-10% power advantage over the other.

If he's only talking about SEGA and its partners, SEGA already kinda did it this generation by releasing cross gen titles on PS3 and PS4 through ~2015. They didn't really move on to next-gen only until 2016-2017.

Who were the other persons commenting on it?
Can't dig in on the thread or the last one to get links.... but Some sony suit said something about how the PS4 will still be the primary driver well into the ex generation or something like that, then some MS guy apparently said there will be no next-gen exclusives or something.

I never took any of those messages seriously which is why I can't recall where they are (this thread or the previous one) but I am just saying if more and more people seem to be saying the game thing then maybe there is something going on. Maybe the duration of the whole cross gen support thing will be longer next gen than it has ever been.

MS would need 48 CUs at 1.8 tflops to hit 11 tflops. That would make the GPU even bigger than 255mm2, no? the wcfftech site lists 40 CUs for the main Navi chip. the X1x was a 232mm2 chip in a die 350mm2 in size. I dont see how MS can add 20% more CUs without going above 280mm2 just for the GPU alone.

But say MS is going all in and they can do it with a 375mm2 die, i dont see Sony going over 255m2 just for the GPU alone especially with the latest leak suggesting a 311mm2 die.

PS4 40 CU
Xbox 2 48 CU (20% jump)
Don't take my TF count seriously... I was just making an example. But yes your die space allocation estimates make sense and g in line with the assessment anexanhume made. But Its more likely to be a 48CU GPU with 4 disabled to give you 44CU for whichever platform holder goes with that config.

Last edited:

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

PS4 40 CU
Xbox 2 48 CU (20% jump)

god speed.

still cant believe krazyken let himself get jerked around by nvidia like that. why in the world didnt he ask for something as good as the xbox 360 GPU? they came out a year later. not to mention, IBM pulling a littlefinger and betraying him by selling MS the tech behind the Cell.

NV offere G80 but it was too expensive.
And IBM never "betrayed" Sony. Cell tech remained used only by Sony, Toshiba and IBM. What you're referring to is PowerPC architecture which Sony had nothing to do with.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NV offere G80 but it was too expensive.
And IBM never "betrayed" Sony. Cell tech remained used only by Sony, Toshiba and IBM. What you're referring to is PowerPC architecture which Sony had nothing to do with.
i see. so sony f'ed krazy ken by forcing the bluray on him and not giving him enough of a budget to use a decent gpu.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that Nvidia's fault?
how is that nvidia's fault?

sony was already way over budget due to adding a PS2 emotion engine, an expensive cell processor and an expensive bluray drive (someone told me recently it was almost $150 for the drive alone). if Sony hadnt mandated BC and Bluray on Kaz, he wouldve been able to afford a better GPU from Nvidia.

MS played it well, they didnt include the HD-DVD drive in every console or worried about BC. they went for the best GPU and CPU available for the price.

of course, they messed that up by not using a proper cooling solution but so did Sony. Everyone i know had their launch PS3's die from YLOD due to the poor thermal paste issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I have to agree with wit you.

More than anything else, I'm just really excited that developers are going to be able to hit a "okay so what they hell can I do with all this" phase and will be able to start pushing boundaries and pushing for new ideas. The only downside will be the calls for "next gen gameplay" that we saw at the beginning of this gen that were as frequent as the were undefined.

What I'm hoping for though, is more unusual stuff like Gravity Rush 1+2, more ideas like "your primary method of traversal is falling". And how going from a massive hardware jump from Vita to PS4 enabled them to improve gfx and art, yes — but also let them do stuff like have a much larger "world" and do things like layer the areas on top of each other and you could fly freely between them.

GR wasn't perfect by any means, but that kind of stuff that you can only do in video games is what I love about the medium.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

sony was already way over budget due to adding a PS2 emotion engine, an expensive cell processor and an expensive bluray drive (someone told me recently it was almost $150 for the drive alone). if Sony hadnt mandated BC and Bluray on Kaz, he wouldve been able to afford a better GPU from Nvidia.

MS played it well, they didnt include the HD-DVD drive in every console or worried about BC. they went for the best GPU and CPU available for the price.

of course, they messed that up by not using a proper cooling solution but so did Sony. Everyone i know had their launch PS3's die from YLOD due to the poor thermal paste issue.
Read stories that Nvidia didn't let Sony customise the GPU, and screwed them over the pricing. Same thing happened with MS with the first Xbox, which is why they opted out with using Nvidia for the Xbox 360.

Read all that a long time ago though. Not sure how true it was.

Cl0ud7

Oct 26, 2018

PS4 40 CU
Xbox 2 48 CU (20% jump)
Well on One X they managed to put a 14nm 232mm2 + 4CU GPU on a 16nm APU.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

It was ~$125. If sony didn't mandate BR drive in the ps3, we likely wouldn't be talking about BR right now. I get that porn dictates the medium but ps3 put ~100m BR drives into people's homes. That has something to do with with BR becoming the mainstream format. Plus, wasn't sony one of the founders of BR? They'd get licensing fees from BR hardware and software sales, right? I think that was the bigger picture.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read stories that Nvidia didn't let Sony customise the GPU, and screwed them over the pricing. Same thing happened with MS with the first Xbox, which is why they opted out with using Nvidia for the Xbox 360.

Read all that a long time ago though. Not sure how true it was.
Pretty sure the 360 had an Nvidia GPU.
It was ~$125. If sony didn't mandate BR drive in the ps3, we likely wouldn't be talking about BR right now. I get that porn dictates the medium but ps3 put ~100m BR drives into people's homes. That has something to do with with BR becoming the mainstream format. Plus, wasn't sony one of the founders of BR? They'd get licensing fees from BR hardware and software sales, right? I think that was the bigger picture.

That's true. Yeah, sony was the one championing BR. it's a big picture thing for them, but not for the end consumer. I remember playing a lot of more third party games early on and i doubt Sony was too happy about losing $2 billion in profits those first few years. regardless, i doubt Ken was too happy about marketing his console as the great thing since sliced bread and losing every face/off to MS's cheaper console.

Well on One X they managed to put a 14nm 232mm2 + 4CU GPU on a 16nm APU.
hmm, indeed they did. Team 12 tflops back on track! Lets see if Cerny can work his magic.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Poll about the memory seems nice if we don't come up with a better alternative:

"Max. total amount of memory for next-gen consoles?"

"12; 16; 20; 24"

We'd probably be running out of ideas if we continue at this pace LOL "Price of next gen controllers"; "Max. weight of next-gen consoles"; "Max. temperature of the console at full load"; "Max. cash you would spend on a gaming console"... hahaha.

If he's only talking about SEGA and its partners, SEGA already kinda did it this generation by releasing cross gen titles on PS3 and PS4 through ~2015. They didn't really move on to next-gen only until 2016-2017.

Who were the other persons commenting on it?

Screw the poll.

This is my most visited thread, sucks having to scroll past the poll every time I open it to navigate.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i stand corrected.

Im glad Sony learned their lesson and ditched Nvidia next time through.

I hope Nintendo does the same because the switch ports of current gen games arent performing all that well.
Who knows, maybe Nvidia themselves learnt to play nice.

Did some reading and Nvidia really soured relations with a lot of companies in the past.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just for fun I made a graphical representation of my current next gen prediction on my white board.
Not the best graphics but you get the idea ;)

Edit:
I made a computer generated version of it.

kC4nf7s.png

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Hmm, very interesting. So do you think Sony is using their own custom, proprietary solution for RT, just like the SSD?

Maybe but this very funny but if they use Kd tree, Photon mapping they choose a very different path than Nvidia, Power VR and offline rendering world.

Search on kd tree are sparse since 10 year and Photon mapping is not used many in offline rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.