• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
For a Xbox (Scarlett) dev kit? Tell me more ... especially if you not have released the Xbox One X at the point in time and had just released the Xbox One X dev kits 4 months ago. And how on earth a single person would know those "details" so early in development from both companies? Explain me that too, please. I really want feedback on this!

Xbox one X doesn't matter, and clearly shown by MS making a less expensive but more performant next gen console that will chop down XBX sales at the legs as soon as it's announced (this E3?)

If you were MS, and caught wind that Sony is preparing to launch their next gen console in 2019, would you let them have an entire year to themselves because you just launched a mid gen console? After the PS3 catching up with the 360 even after launching a year later, being more expensive, and having worse looking games.. and then Sony's console destroying your console when launching at the same time (even tho they gaffed the launch)?

Anyways, you don't need to be some higher up to check dev kit info in the BIOS for both consoles.. even dev kit version dates. That doesn't mean devs received the dev kits as early as August, 2017..

Anyways, you don't have to take my post seriously, or get heated by it... I'm just reconciling previous rumors with this pastebin, and speculating on it 🤷‍♂️. Whether it turns out to be true or not, we'll find out eventually.. actually, I think we'll find out Before E3 ends.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
ohyeah forgot about the new stuff, i think?

OKAY REVISTSSITITIONSISITED for youuuuu

Lockhart - 8.4 (still $100 less than ps5)
PS5 - 12.8
Anaconda - 15.4 (still $100 more than ps5)

>:P

Thank you, brother. But joking aside, there is so much BS being tossed around these days it's hard to keep track of what's realistic or not.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Xbox one X doesn't matter, and clearly shown by MS making a less expensive but more performant next gen console that will chop down XBX sales at the legs as soon as it's announced (this E3?)

If you were MS, and caught wind that Sony is preparing to launch their next gen console in 2019, would you let them have an entire year to themselves because you just launched a mid gen console? After the PS3 catching up with the 360 even after launching a year later, being more expensive, and having worse looking games.. and then Sony's console destroying your console when launching at the same time (even tho they gaffed the launch)?

Anyways, you don't need to be some higher up to check dev kit info in the BIOS for both consoles.. even dev kit version dates. That doesn't mean devs received the dev kits as early as August, 2017..

Anyways, you don't have to take my post seriously, or get heated by it... I'm just reconciling previous rumors with this pastebin, and speculating on it 🤷‍♂️. Whether it turns out to be true or not, we'll find out eventually.. actually, I think we'll find out Before E3 ends.
Thanks for the feedback because I was very interested in your thought process!
And I will follow your recommendation (bold part of your quote).

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Something like that. Yes I think they plan on competing primarily on price.

The one thing that I think will be flat out stupid for MS to do will be to have a release strategy is if they have their only next-gen 4K console be $100 more expensive than Sonys 4K console.

Cause then it's not just a price conversation anymore, it becomes a "well this one is cheaper because it can only do 1080p" and "sony's own 4K console cost $100 less" conversation. And I don't believe that launching around the same time there is much MS can do to justify a $100 more price difference between Ana and the PS5. And even if they somehow could, they are selling that to a smaller audience.

This is all even worse if at the start of next gen the majority the games released are cross platform. So we have what? $500 4K Ana, $400 4K PS5, $350 1440p XB1X, $300 1080p Lockhart, $200 XB1s........

Its like MS is setting themselves up to make the same mistakes Nintendo mad with the WiiU.
That rumor about games coming out on last gen for two years sound fake as hell. I'm sure that some games will release on last gen consoles too, everything is x86 these days and if a game isn't memory and CPU intensive (lets say FIFA or COD) then publishers will probably want it to run on everything. But a mandatory rule inforced by Microsoft? Common. Microsoft is dying to ditch the One and have a fresh start with the new generation. It's cool to release Forza 8 and halo on the One too but releasing every game on the One in 2022? Really?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Let's be generous and assume that Anaconda eeks out an extra .5 (half) TF over the PS5's 12.9 TF. But you'll be expected to pay $100 more to own an Anaconda.

With no next-gen show cases that's going to be a very difficult value proposition to sell potential customers.

But look on the bright side, we've mitigated our losses by making sure we can use the same hardware in our data centers.
Hell even if you peg the PS4 at 11TF and the Ana at 12.5TF (that's an over 10% advantage) it wouldn't mean anything. And the same applies the other way around to. Like that's what? 10% better framerates when both are capped at 30fps or 60fps? 10% more rez when bot have enough power to pus the native rez? Like for there, to be a noticeable difference in power there has to be an at least 30%-40% GPU difference.
XB1X won't be more powerful then lockhart.
But you do make an interesting point.
It will all depend what the power and cost splits are.

Say if its

Ana $500 11.1tflop navi
PS5 $400 9.2tfloo navi
Lockhart $299 5tflop navi

It will be interesting to see what the resolution split would be between lockhart and PS5.
Yh that was a mixup. I can't see Ana being 20%+ more powerful than the PS5 though. But if it were then it may at least be able to make a case for the "obviously" better 4K console.
Wait is Lockhart expected to be weaker than the X?
Naaaa.... that was just a mixup in my post. I personally expect Lockhart to be a rebranded XB1X. A Ryzen CPU and around a 36CU GPU clocked at around 1400Mhz for around 6.5TF.

That rumor about games coming out on last gen for two years sound fake as hell. I'm sure that some games will release on last gen consoles too, everything is x86 these days and if a game isn't memory and CPU intensive (lets say FIFA or COD) then publishers will probably want it to run on everything. But a mandatory rule inforced by Microsoft? Common. Microsoft is dying to ditch the One and have a fresh start with the new generation. It's cool to release Forza 8 and halo on the One too but releasing every game on the One in 2022? Really?
I couldn't agree more.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't hold my breath. I believe RT will be the Mid gen refresh stand out feature.

And doesn' MS working o the software side of RT mean they are even less likely to have dedicated hardware fo it? They probably have figured out some creative way of doing it all in software using the CPU.

I think the best chance for dev adoption is to have it at launch. I'm also not completely sold on the idea of mid gen refreshed again, overall I think it's more likely to happen than not, but I don't think it's 100%. This gen I think the rise of 4K was a unique circumstance that the mid gen consoles could focus on, and I don't think the same will be true of 8K. And if not that, then what would be the main selling point of the refresh?

From my perspective, MS's work on the software side of RT, along with their PIX tool, provides them with insight on the inner workings, requirements, and performance of RT on different hardware configurations. From there they'd be able to collaborate with AMD on building a hardware customization to aid in RT processing. Example: Microsoft has long worked on Direct X from the software side, for the 1X they customized the command processor of the GPU to add in hardware functions for DX12 - I think a similar possibility exists for RT.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was in the previous breakout box, but PSVR2 shouldn't need it. I'd listen to Colbert and androvsky on this one. I was just providing a possible explanation if it turned out to be legitimate.
yeah thanks, I didnt see those posts, since I was having my dinner just now.

Colbert has a good point (and most likely right), but I wont be surprised if next gen kits actually went out in 2017.

Think next gen is a little unique with not having any exotic hardware preceding it (and not really exotic hardware going in) that I wont be surprised if some third party devs are given a head start on making next gen games. Would help in actually having non-crappy launch games.

Oct 27, 2017
Hell even if you peg the PS4 at 11TF and the Ana at 12.5TF (that's an over 10% advantage) it wouldn't mean anything. And the same applies the other way around to. Like that's what? 10% better framerates when both are capped at 30fps or 60fps? 10% more rez when bot have enough power to pus the native rez? Like for there, to be a noticeable difference in power there has to be an at least 30%-40% GPU difference.

Or if even if you have the power, you can't take advantage of it because: cross-gen.

No one is rewriting engines/game-logic for that and re-balancing everything.

At best you'll get a slightly more polished turd or maybe it will be rolled in glitter a few more times.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I doubt it. I expect we'll get Ghosts and/or TLOU 2 in that timeframe.

Well you're probably right about TLOU2, I think Jason has heard it's coming in February. In fact I think that may itself point to a Fall release. PS5 will most likely have BC enhancements, and if they were to release TLOU2 only 2 months before it, I wonder if a lot of people might actually wait. Sony wouldn't want that.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe one bit at the last pastebin rumor for both consoles.

First 32 GB would mean a rather slow bandwidth. And is 64 GB of GDDR6 even possible ?

For 32 GB you need 16 chips using clamshell mode, easy. But for 64 GB you need what ? 32 chips in clamshell mode ? Insanity. Paging anexanhume about that...

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

First 32 GB would mean a rather slow bandwidth. And is 64 GB of GDDR6 even possible ?

For 32 GB you need 16 chips using clamshell mode, easy. But for 64 GB you need what ? 32 chips in clamshell mode ? Insanity. Paging anexanhume about that...
It was HBM2 to build a special expensive dev kit.... /jk

Deleted member 56784

Banned
May 16, 2019
I am so sad about the fact that there is not a single valid rumor out there.
Includes Eternal-King-R2
Sag deinem Onkel mal er soll nicht so viel Altbier trinken. ;)
Yeah, its like people are afraid of nda... I mean what are 2 million dollars? Nothing compared to the rush of leaking :D
But you are right, don't combine beer with pastebins...

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the feedback because I was very interested in your thought process!
And I will follow your recommendation (bold part of your quote).

Haha hey, that's no skin off my back, I'm just here to have fun, and wild speculations are fun to me, whichever way they go. I don't understand the reason to get heated over some plastic gaming boxes or corporations that only care about their bottom lines.

Also, if I came off as an ass in my previous post, I apologize. Wasn't the intention.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
MS have to launch first before the PS5. If they don't it's game over before the generation has even begun.

I think that Sony is going to launch much sooner than Fall 2020 which everyone initially assumed.

MS have finally woken up to this fact too.

So now you have murmurs from the MS camp saying that launch titles will likely be cross-gen only.

Because the MS exclusive next gen titles won't be ready in time.

So rather than going later and getting slaughtered because everyone has already been wowed/bought the PS5 they are planning the lesser of the two evils and launching without next gen showcases.

Oops.
LMAO...and you think Sony is going to magically pull a bunch of AAA titles developed for PS5 with like 18 months dev time? You are the gift that keeps this thread going.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Haha hey, that's no skin off my back, I'm just here to have fun, and wild speculations are fun to me, whichever way they go. I don't understand the reason to get heated over some plastic gaming boxes or corporations that only care about their bottom lines.

Also, if I came off as an ass in my previous post, I apologize. Wasn't the intention.
All good. I am cool ...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Or if even if you have the power, you can't take advantage of it because: cross-gen.

At best you'll get a slightly more polished turd or maybe it will be rolled in glitter a few more times.

Turd, horseshit etc
With this language No wonder why most of your posts are tales from ass.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017

I agree. The implications of memory bus, bandwith, and capacity need to be taken into account when evaluating rumors and when applied to our own speculation.

If a console is $400, I could maybe see a 256bit memory bus, but I'm just not sure if it offers enough bandwidth for the system - I think there's a chance we'll see more than that, maybe 320bit for 20GB? For a $500 system I think well get a 384 bit memory bus and 24GB of RAM (same number of memory chips as 1X has).

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO...and you think Sony is going to magically pull a bunch of AAA titles developed for PS5 with like 18 months dev time? You are the gift that keeps this thread going.

So you're not expecting PS5 exclusive titles at the launch of the PS5?

AAA or not, they will be system sellers.

Or is everyone supposed to be doing cross-gen only now? /s

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
And even if they have a 30% difference in favor of one or the other, thats native 4k (2160p) vs 1800p. Does anybody actually cares about that kind of a difference in such high resolutions? I mean, it's cool for marketing and being able to claim the title of the most powerful console, but will anyone who doesn't watch DF videos be able to spot the difference?

It's funny how much hysteria a 10TF vs 13TF console war will create here while the real world reunification will be games running at 1800p on one and 2160p on the other :)

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
The most reasonable explanation...

Well,yeah.Nvidia is obviously out of question i guess,Navi cards weren't ready,Polaris too old by now,so what else if not Vega?
In that case those dev kits will obviously have HBM2 memory in them which by no means certain will be in later Navi based dev kits.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Man I love these joke posts, but you should really put a /s on them.....

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I probably won't get a new gen Xbox console right away. Currently happy with my X. Feels like I have lots of life in it. But may feel differently a year from now.

Mar 23, 2018
Okay, what's about the obligatory poll?
What color will the USB ports be?
We've had launch timing, announcing timing, and power polls in the previous threads. I think a poll on price or total RAM would be good, if we're going to do a poll.

Poll about the memory seems nice if we don't come up with a better alternative:

"Max. total amount of memory for next-gen consoles?"

"12; 16; 20; 24"

We'd probably be running out of ideas if we continue at this pace LOL "Price of next gen controllers"; "Max. weight of next-gen consoles"; "Max. temperature of the console at full load"; "Max. cash you would spend on a gaming console"... hahaha.

Second person on the sony side and third person on the whole next gen front that has alluded t the longevity of the current gen way into the life of next-gen consoles.

Is there something these people are saying that we should talk more seriously?

If he's only talking about SEGA and its partners, SEGA already kinda did it this generation by releasing cross gen titles on PS3 and PS4 through ~2015. They didn't really move on to next-gen only until 2016-2017.

Who were the other persons commenting on it?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Poll about the memory seems nice if we don't come up with a better alternative:

"Max. total amount of memory for next-gen consoles?"

"12; 16; 20; 24"
A simple poll would do it: For example:
What do you think how the memory setup for the next console of your preference looks like?
1) GDDR6
2) GDDR6 + DDR4
3) HBM2
4 HBM2 + DDR4

Just the combinations of memory. I would like that and I think anexanhume too

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That's all fair - it's definitely not happening this fiscal year. That said, do you think there's any possibility that it could happen in April? Has that ever been a launch date for a console? The times I always think of are either March or November.
april launch means they would already get revenue from shipments in march, and profits to go down a lot from heavy production during the year.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
How do you guys keep this thread going with so little information? We basically know nothing. Or is there concrete information for both?

Status
Not open for further replies.