Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So how do we know a leak is real. What are we looking for?
he means that Ubi developers will leak to jason or some other journalist the details.
then again,
dont expect nearly all those 14k developers to work on the dev kits lol.
until now even in the first party studios there were only select people with access to dev kits and information about them that they were not allowed to share with the rest of the team, i assume that will roughly still be the case with third party developers.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
DF also noticed it:

"If this is an engineering sample board, a potent power delivery set-up like this may simply be in place to put the new silicon through its paces. However, it is a touch concerning if this is an AMD reference board aimed at the consumer - as the configuration suggests that a standard 'blower' design with a single fan may be in place as a cooling solution, something that rarely works out well for Radeon hardware."

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Interesting patent from AMD:

HYBRID RENDER WITH DEFERRED PRIMITIVE BATCH BINNING

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0122417.html

DF also noticed it:

"If this is an engineering sample board, a potent power delivery set-up like this may simply be in place to put the new silicon through its paces. However, it is a touch concerning if this is an AMD reference board aimed at the consumer - as the configuration suggests that a standard 'blower' design with a single fan may be in place as a cooling solution, something that rarely works out well for Radeon hardware."

Looks like they're largely repeating buildzoid's analysis without giving him credit.

FWIW, I'm betting the analysis claiming 3072 SP is lowballing the CU count. It's probably closer to the 3584 number indicated by Jim (AdoredTV's) numbers, meaning 56 CUs. Vega VII was a shrink to 7nm and not optimized to it, and I wouldn't be surprised if the CU size shrunk given the design goals and supposed changes to the microcode to revert some things to the way Polaris did them.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But to answer the other part of your initial questions what I think about the examples you listed: I see RT as hardware supported if there is native driver support. It is not emulated in software anymore. Well that is how I see it.
Native driver support just moves the s/w part which translate DXR calls into driver/hardware calls from the emulation layer into the driver. DXR is in its essence DX compute. Thus you can either translate it into DX compute via some emulation layer (what DXR Fallback Layer does) or handle this directly inside the driver, mapping DXR API calls to your GPU compute capabilities. The second option is better because a) you don't have an emulation layer somewhat slowing things down for you and b) you can map DXR calls to your GPU h/w better because you're the one who made the h/w. But both are "h/w supported raytracing" since GPU compute is something which is running on a dedicated h/w - GPU.

This is why I've said that Cerny's notion of RT support in PS5 doesn't mean anything. PS4 "support" RT right now, it's just that with its GPUs it can't make real widespread use of RT due to performance deficit. And unless PS5 GPU will have some hardware in addition to pure GCN GPU compute (async or whatever) I don't see this changing with PS5 much.

Vega VII was a shrink to 7nm
It wasn't.

There's no indication that this is the case. However it's worth remembering that next gen consoles are highly unlikely to use the same CLN7FF node which Vega 20 is using. Navi 10 (or whatever will launch this year) likely will though.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we can split the different classes of hardware support into more than two like you did in your comment :
Yea that's a more useful breakdown - not sure if there's any way to make terminology stick, but it helps conversations to call out the differences.

So my assumption is we will see Hardware Accelerated RT in consoles but not Hardware Implemented RT.
I'd tend to agree, I don't expect a ton of fixed function work there(computing whole intersection tests like RT core - I doubt it). But based on the work AMD/Sony did for things like VR facing features and CB acceleration etc. - I do expect 'some' specific hw-customizations that will help the process.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It wasn't.

There's no indication that this is the case. However it's worth remembering that next gen consoles are highly unlikely to use the same CLN7FF node which Vega 20 is using. Navi 10 (or whatever will launch this year) likely will though.
Perhaps you can elaborate on what you think exactly Vega VII is and what node consoles will be on, then?

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that seems like it would be a mistake if true. $299 is likely to be a higher physical purchase demographic than the $399-499 launch crowd. If you're price sensitive I think you're more more likely to want access to be able to trade games in and buy used games.

They want price sensitive gamers to be gamepass gamers. Why would ms give two fucks about retail and used games?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Navi was always expected to be GCN. I think that WCCF was the only site which were saying that it isn't. 64CU limit is not a limitation of GCN either, more a limitation of their current frontend which can be redesigned while still using GCN architecture for multiprocessors array.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what you think exactly Vega VII is and what node consoles will be on, then?
Vega 20 was designed specifically for N7 process from the start. There's nothing "shrank" about it.

Consoles assuming they'll go into full production at the end of 2020 are very likely to use either the N7+ process (the one with EUV usage) or the recently announced N6 process - which is more or less a shrink of N7.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Who really knows. Maybe I am making a mistake compare it to the Xbox One X. But it would be weird if Lockhart would have less peak performance than the One X. Would be a marketing nightmare.
That is something i agree about:
"My xbox one x is 6 teraflops, why cant [insert next gen only game here] run on my console when it runs on a 4 teraflops console!"

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
To keep consumers happy and not be seen as forcing people into buying games a certain way like what happened in 2013

They can do that by making gamepass a gentle breeze blowing through your bank account every month and having all first party new games on there day one. Yes there will be some who complain, but it wont be like 2013, esp with eXpensive box as an option.

Jdogg4089

Jan 28, 2019
I don't agree with this statement at all. Wtf? Maybe you'd want 8TF to try to get as many games as possible native 4k.. but it is in no way a "minimum". I respect Cerny, but I don't take his word as gospel, especially when we already have a more than a year of actual real world data showing us that a 6TF machine is more than capable of outputting native 4k resolutions on some of the most beautiful games we've ever seen in gaming. I have to be misunderstanding your statement right? It just doesn't make sense.

Cerny said 8tf for 4k ps4 games... 1.8×4=7.2

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Who really knows. Maybe I am making a mistake compare it to the Xbox One X. But it would be weird if Lockhart would have less peak performance than the One X. Would be a marketing nightmare.

They wont be using TF to push cheapbox at all, so it doesn't matter as far as marketing goes. It is a cheap option to play next gen games with new tech like ssd and zen, and they will pump out a bunch of anaconda footage for dat halo effect. + gamepass! Keep your kids quiet for the cost of a Netflix sub! They've got lots of sales hooks besides more power.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Sure we'll have to wait and see but with a much newer GPU, massively better CPU, same amount (12GB) but faster RAM as 1X and secret sauce, it could perform great at 1080P even if paper specs are 4TF. Also Microsoft might not highlight TF numbers as mentioned by joe-zazen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Navi 10 as a baseline for Next gen will be great, no need to be disappointed, but Lockhart can shoo, seriously 4TF baseline pls no.

Feb 10, 2018
GPU is not the only measure of performance.
A 4tflop gpu, 16-24gddr6 and a 8core zen 2 would be more caperble then the X1X.

However overhead is needed to guarantee 1080p, so I would expect at least 4.8tflops if anaconda is 12tf.
Lockhart needs to be at least 40% of anacondas gpu to have 1080p in the majority of games.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
GPU is not the only measure of performance.
A 4tflop gpu, 16-24gddr6 and a 8core zen 2 would be more caperble then the X1X.

However overhead is needed to guarantee 1080p, so I would expect at least 4.8tflops if anaconda is 12tf.
Lockhart needs to be at least 40% of anacondas gpu to have 1080p in the majority of games.
I dunno, the 6TF X1X runs some current gen games at 1440p, trying to push next gen visuals on a 5TF GPU sounds like a nightmare even at 1080p.

Son Goku

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They can do that by making gamepass a gentle breeze blowing through your bank account every month and having all first party new games on there day one. Yes there will be some who complain, but it wont be like 2013, esp with eXpensive box as an option.
Very well then Sony can counter with ps4 and psnow. That would be cheaper and psnow has a lot more traffic doesn't it?

Oct 27, 2017
They wont be using TF to push cheapbox at all, so it doesn't matter as far as marketing goes. It is a cheap option to play next gen games with new tech like ssd and zen, and they will pump out a bunch of anaconda footage for dat halo effect. + gamepass! Keep your kids quiet for the cost of a Netflix sub! They've got lots of sales hooks besides more power.

The problem I see with this is that MS first party titles are not the best quality. They're "good enough for gamepass", pay a couple of dollars a month for some b tier timewasters.

I just can't see the big third party titles showing up on gamepass and cannibalising their full price sales for cents on the dollar. So you're left with the big MS franchises that the mass market still aren't interested in.

Even on resetera polls have shown it's games that sell hardware. The mass market punters are even less likely to buy in now for stuff coming down the pipe later (or not at all!) from recent acquisitions.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Very well then Sony can counter with ps4 and psnow. That would be cheaper and psnow has a lot more traffic doesn't it?

PSNow has been around for years and while it continues to grow, it's still relatively small. Microsoft and Google coming really hard at game streaming in the next year is really going to test how successful PSNow actually is.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, the 6TF X1X runs some current gen games at 1440p, trying to push next gen visuals on a 5TF GPU sounds like a nightmare even at 1080p.
if a 6tf gpu cant do 1080p nextgen, no way 12 does 4k. while not everything a a liner scale, resalusion is. to display the same 1080p image at 4k requires 4x the gpu power. a 6tfp gpu will not only be fine for 1080p, it will be more room for devs to work with, than a 12 tfp gpu at 4k.

Feb 10, 2018

If PS5/Ana is in the 12tflop range, then yes next gen games doing 1440p will need further cutbacks on a 5tfllop, probably 900p and some reduced settings.

I would imagine developing lockhart would be a similar process to the development of the X1X but reversed.
1st party and maybe some 3rd parties will have been developing for anaconda and with that data they will be able to determine what performance is required for a 1080p console.

It won't be perfect, like the the X1X is not a perfect 4k machine, but the results were still very good.

Also 1080p PC gamers will still be a thing, even if lockhart was not a thing, PC gamers who play at 1080p would need far less caperble GPU then a console pushing 1800p - 2160p resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.