Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
But not in a vacuum and honestly - it could really just be something that actually doesn't manifest in any meaningful way on screen

Some people are literally counting the PS5 out. In fact I was starting to believe it. Once the patent rolled around though I started realizing Playstation 5 could be something really special

I think people should stop reading into patents, secret sauce and hidden GPUs.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
So just to be clear..... you expect a publisher to prioritize their game development for the benefit of like 10% of their sales at the expense of like 90% of their sales?

lets just take a brief glance of some AAA titles across platforms (all at launch so within the first 3 months after release)

• Assasins Creed Odyssey: Consoles 98%, PC 2%
  • Battlefield 1: Consoles 96%, PC 4%
  • Tekken 7: Consoles 91%, PC 9%
  • Overwatch: Consoles 82%, PC 18%
I could go on...... No dev is going to not prioritize PC development over consoles unless that dev typically has the PC to account for the majority of its sales. Rule f thump is, where the most money comes from.... is where the focus on development will be.

PS> And no I didn't mention free to play games like fortnite.
Using inaccurate Vgchartz, it's like im back in 2007!
But yes devs are not going to care about PC's using old HDD's, by the early 2020's most PC gamers will have SSD's anyway, many do now, every new console gen requirements go up.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I see nothing wrong looking into patents in the right context .
Yeah what there might not happen but at least it base on something and not pullout from thin air \paste bin leak lol.

Because people are either overthinking them or imagining crazy stuff.
We had that for patents about checkerboard rendering. We had that about the "8.4Tflops of FP16 on PS4".

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah I agree. I just think the spirit of a tech thread has become an echo chamber of Phil Spencer quotes and rabid enthusiam.

Once I muted two guys the thread became much more palatable.
But that's only showing your selective perception. We had a lot of posts about next Xbox being Vega which is the exact opposite of a Spencer echo chamber, the SSD talk likewise.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I see nothing wrong looking into patents in the right context .
Yeah what there might not happen but at least it base on something and not pullout from thin air \paste bin leak lol.

Agreed. The patents probably give us some of the most concrete evidence of the sauce and customization.

Exactly.

Its all speculation. So...we can only speculate about specific things, in certain ways?

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
But that's only showing your selective perception. We had a lot of posts about next Xbox being Vega which is the exact opposite of a Spencer echo chamber, the SSD talk likewise.

These threads goes both ways but the Spencer talk about MS wanting to be the most powerful has had the biggest effect by far even in the old thread.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Where have all Sony insiders from the old place gone? Dunno remember all names but y'all know

Demonite disappeared out of existence. (originally hinted at Project Beast)

Bruceleeroy still posts sometimes. He says Bloodborne 2 is happening.

Jason said Demon Souls Remake is in development and he's probably the closest thing we had to a "Sony insider". Stopped posting on Era because websites were crediting from his leaks.

Last edited:

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Since nothing is official yet people are free to believe whatever suits their narrative within realm of reality or without. Of course there should be limits.

Don't worry, Your console of choice will be fine either way.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
There is no reason to be defensive yet. PS5 will be powerful but already speculating that more power might not be seen on a screen while also saying next PlayStation will be something special...
We know absolutely nothing yet but some of your replies paint a picture that are really strange to read. We should all be happy that new hardware is on the horizon and both consoles will be amazing in their own right. And it's totally fine if an Xbox is more powerful than a PlayStation.
I personally believe the XBn will be more powerful than the PS5. More because it seems MS needs that kinda distinction more than sony. But its not being defensive to question if that power difference (especially if its to the tune of around under 20%) will be noticeable.

This is not going to be a900p vs 1080p, or 4k.cb/1440p vs 4K or lower rez textures vs higher rez textures.... type thing. In all those cases there were things that made for a distinguishable tangible difference....even if some times it meant taking a screen grab and zooming by like 300% but yh..... I feel that with the next gen consoles, especially if the weakest one is still over 10TF and boasts around or over 16GB RAM.... it will become really hard to tell them apart. Especially from a pixel counting or texture rez perspective.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
But not in a vacuum and honestly - it could really just be something that actually doesn't manifest in any meaningful way on screen

Some people are literally counting the PS5 out. In fact I was starting to believe it. Once the patent rolled around though I started realizing Playstation 5 could be something really special

It's even more interesting when you realise what all this Anaconda beating PS5 talk stems from...

A PR statement from Phil Spencer, and one full of weasel words at that.

I'm not sure which will be more powerful, but I'm not counting the PS5 out simply because that's what Phil Spencer wants me to believe.

I'm keeping my mind very much open to see what happens. Sony certainly haven't historically played it safe or low with specs, I have no reason to assume they would do so now especially from such a position of strength in the market.

Oct 27, 2017
We should all be happy that new hardware is on the horizon and both consoles will be amazing in their own right. And it's totally fine if an Xbox is more powerful than a PlayStation.
— I'm gonna start by saying that c0de, this isn't about you personally, but in the same way that its "totally fine if Xbox is more powerful than a Playstation", then it should be totally fine for people to discuss the possibility of the reverse being true.

People want to see their platform of choice be something that is impressive and respectably competitive in the market. There is nothing wrong with that – we all want that and its fine.

What is getting me about this thread though, are the people who want to downplay the competitor's potential in a thread that is supposed to be about discussing potential and possibilities. The worst part is that there are also some who are trying to maintain the air of being above that while contributing the same sentiments. I'm reminded of Gundam Starburst's post and how many people read it and probably laughed while in complete irony of the fact that they were contributing to it. GS also posted that unironically, while doing a fair bit of platform cheerleading and finger-pointing his/herself. Everyone in here could do with a dose of introspection in what they've been posting.

Other people have made comments about this (and some have been shot down for it), but this thread absolutely has a tone of "whatever Sony's console is / can do, MS will without doubt, match or outdo it", and any attempt to discuss the opposite is responded to with derision. I'm gonna repeat that this is supposed to be a thread about discussing potential & possibility & right now we are still in the stage where no one knows anything for certain.

Sorry to pick on you GS, FWIW I actually think you are one of the more neutral peeps who leans MS & are willing to let other people have their opinions/discussion — but my gripe about the overall tone of the thread is legit and the point had to be made.

I used to be a hardcore Xbox guy in the OG & 360 era, and have both the XB1 & PS4 — but I do lean PS now and I have no intention of hiding that or pretending I'm above it — but I know its important to keep an open mind about what could happen because we are still so early in the process. So I'm gonna stand by what I've been saying this whole time:

All we need to do is settle on the fact that this is a speculation thread and everyone is entitled to their opinion but also need to open to the fact that yours is no more valid than anyone else's.

Like I said earlier, MS or Sony can move in ANY way that they feel they need to, and then justify it to shareholders later.

They can BOM as high or low as they feel the need to.
They can subsidise as high or low as they feel they need to.
They can bundle as much or as little as they feel they need to.
They can recoup money in as many other ways as they feel they need to.

Unless anyone of us here secretly works in AMD HQ and can go in one office and look at schematics, then go in another office and see the other's — we all have concede that right now we don't know and can't dismiss anyone else's position with some of the... vigour we've seen in here.

Until we actually know, we don't know, and for as long as we don't know — anything is possible. Some is more or less likely, yes — but anything is possible.

...and its totally fine if either Xbox or Playstation is more powerful than the other.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully the terrible fanboyish opinions is only down to a few though. At my count, the worst offenders are 3 people. We know who they are.

Not really happy with people coming in and read speculations going 'they're talking about Xbox going vega? Jesus these fanboys LOL' when we were just speculating whether it could happen and what it could bring than making it look like Xbox is taking an outright worse GPU.

Stuff like that thankfully makes me want to post less (and of course, with being 2nd most posts in the thread...) because I really dont see any problems with speculating pros and cons of the probable specs.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Nah I agree. I just think the spirit of a tech thread has become an echo chamber of Phil Spencer quotes and rabid enthusiam.

Once I muted two guys the thread became much more palatable.
Pretty much...But that's good marketing I guess.

Either way, unless MS is going to take a couple million dollars in losses up front I don't see how these systems are going to come out around the same time and be vastly different from each other. Only reason PS4 had the leg up was because of Kinect integration.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
We don't have one iota of evidence that Ana will be more powerful than anything, besides some pr fluff and what not, so I'd hold on to your hats a bit longer about that.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
What I am most interested about is finding out the Navi clocks - because this will shed light on the Gonzalo leak and associated 1800Mhz GPU clock speed.

If Navi clocks are fast and hitting 2Ghz-ish then it basically would be confirmation in my eyes.

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully the terrible fanboyish opinions is only down to a few though.
Its not just a few though. True some have contributed more, but many of us are doing it just at a lower level (than maybe we realise - which is why I highlighted GS) [sorry again GS lol really not trying to make you a target]. I'm sure someone could pull receipts for almost anyone in the thread — it's something we all need to look at in our posts, and in what we post here in future.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
What I am most interested about is finding out the Navi clocks - because this will shed light on the Gonzalo leak and associated 1800Mhz GPU clock speed.

If Navi clocks are fast and hitting 2Ghz-ish then it basically would be confirmation in my eyes.

I would be surprised if we already get Navi clockspeeds at computex. That usually comes later I think? If I am not mistaken.

I expect Computex to be more Zen2 focused and E3 to be more Navi gaming graphics cards focused.

But I could be wrong (I hope that I am wrong)

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Well they could still say their SSD is also customized, even if all the parts are standard PC stuff: "We assembled several components into a custom configuration"

What does it matter if the results are comparable? There's no point in fetishizing custom, only the demonstrable value it delivers.

Because the cells in the flash die. They are not made to be constantly written. You want a "write seldom, read often" storage for games.

Wear leveling means that you can write reasonable amounts of data continuously and the damage is spread around evenly. I did some back of envelope numbers earlier in the thread and found you could write a 20Mb/s stream constantly to a 1TB disk for decades before you'd see a problem.

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah but you cant design the game around SSD's if you want to run them on PC's with HDD's too, both consoles can have similar tech but in the end, if the game is released on PC too every platform will be affected.

Of course they can set an SSD as a minimun requirement on PC, which I think is something unprecedented, but maybe is the future..

I agree.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Didn't Kotaku reporter Jason Schreier already said(about a month ago) that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than Google's Stadia 10.7 TF?

Oct 25, 2017
Have console GPUs ever achieved 80% the clocks of their desktop counterparts? Still seems to me that hoping for 1800MHz is only gonna lead to disappointment.

Didn't Kotaku reporter Jason Schreier already said(about a month ago) that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than Google's Stadia 10.7 TF?

Yes, but that doesn't mean they'll achieve it. They're dependant on AMD, who hasn't exactly been known for knocking it out of the park recently.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
its a speculation thread, stop getting hurt with others speculation and/or wishful thinking. that goes along with the topic and lack of things to discuss. engage in arguments, feel free to disagree, but the worst part of this thread is the persecution complex and whining. NO ONE is claiming that one console will full stop, 100% be better/more powerful than the other. no one. and even if they were.... let them. they don't know shit.

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Have console GPUs ever achieved 80% the clocks of their desktop counterparts? Still seems to me that hoping for 1800MHz is only gonna lead to disappointment.

It's not about hope, it's about verifying the possibility of the gonzalo leak, which in turn may lend credence to some other rumours.

If we see Navi with clocks of 1-1.5Ghz we can safely throw those all in the bin. Currently we have what appears to be some kind of console APU with a 1800Mhz GPU clock in Gonzalo though. Either the way the APUs are coded has changed, or something else weird is going on if Navi cannot hit those clocks. The same methodology that found Gonzalo found the PS4 APU FYI.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
its a speculation thread, stop getting hurt with others speculation and/or wishful thinking. that goes along with the topic and lack of things to discuss. engage in arguments, feel free to disagree, but the worst part of this thread is the persecution complex and whining. NO ONE is claiming that one console will full stop, 100% be better/more powerful than the other. no one. and even if they were.... let them. they don't know shit.
👍

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

This should be threadmarked

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about hope, it's about verifying the possibility of the gonzalo leak, which in turn may lend credence to some other rumours.

If we see Navi with clocks of 1-1.5Ghz we can safely throw those all in the bin. Currently we have what appears to be some kind of console APU with a 1800Mhz GPU clock in Gonzalo though. Either the way the APUs are coded has changed, or something else weird is going on if Navi cannot hit those clocks. The same methodology that found Gonzalo found the PS4 APU FYI.

Right, but again, when has a console GPU achieved near parity in terms of clocks with its desktop counterpart? You can point to methodologies all you want, but there are hard thermal and power limits associated with small plastic boxes meant to be sold for between $400 and $500 dollars.

I've seen people point out that DF basically confirmed the leak, but they always leave out the part about Richard being highly skeptical of the clocks being indicative of what we'd see in next gen consoles. And that right there is the topic in a nutshell.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree with 2/3 of the post.

Although yeah, putting the ones on ignore works best.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
How likely or unlikely would it be for next gen consoles to have either Zen 3 or a Zen 2 variant which supports 3-way SMT? We know that early Zen 3 hardware exists because of the Arcturus leak back in December and now AdoredTV has confirmed more than 2-way SMT does actually exist in AMDs plans (up to 4-way SMT), and will be a feature of their Rome(?) launch in Q4 2020. For the sake of discussion, if one console has just 2-way and the other has 3-way, what kind of differences would we be looking at as a result? Better performance? Better RT capabilities? More complex physics?

Doctor Avatar

Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Right, but again, when has a console GPU achieved near parity in terms of clocks with its desktop counterpart?

The Xbox One X - clocked at a comparable speed to polaris and Vega GPUs.

EDIT by which I mean it wasn't far below them. So if Navi turns out to be designed to push clocks fast to improve performance despite the 64CU limit of GCN already being reached, and the GPUs can hit 2Ghz then it is definitely possible that gonzalo does have a 1800Mhz clock.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so how hard will the Tariffs hit PS5, even if Sony go with ASE and manufacture the console in Malaysia? Are too many parts manufactured in China?

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One X - clocked at a comparable speed to polaris and Vega GPUs.

EDIT by which I mean it wasn't far below them. So if Navi turns out to be designed to push clocks fast to improve performance despite the 64CU limit of GCN already being reached, and the GPUs can hit 2Ghz then it is definitely possible that gonzalo does have a 1800Mhz clock.

Vega 64 clocked up to 1536MHz, if the source I'm looking at is correct. No idea if AMD undersells clocks like NV does, but even at 1536, X1X is only achieving roughly 76% of the Vega 64's peak clock. So, not 80%, and not nearly the 90% you'd need for consoles to hit 1800MHz if AMD's latest dGPUs are hitting 2000MHz. And that's not taking into account heat and power draw.
Now, I'm sure I've oversimplified things to the point of mild stupidity here, but I'm not seeing any reason to think consoles might see GPU clocks as high as 1800MHz.

Ok, so how hard will the Tariffs hit PS5, even if Sony go with ASE and manufacture the console in Malaysia? Are too many parts manufactured in China?

Wouldn't be surprised to see some of these companies pick up and move to nearby countries. Vietnam is one I've heard might be attractive.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind we're like 15 months (given a November release) before those manufactured consoles will be imported. There's always a chance the tarrifs won't be so high or exist at that point.

Oct 27, 2017
This is not true, but seen as I agree with the most of what ya posted I'm not going to dig into this any deeper than that. No one knows anything, everyone should accept that and people should be able to discuss all the possibilities & potential that next-gen hw can offer.

How likely or unlikely would it be for next gen consoles to have either Zen 3 or a Zen 2 variant which supports 3-way SMT? We know that early Zen 3 hardware exists because of the Arcturus leak back in December and now AdoredTV has confirmed more than 2-way SMT does actually exist in AMDs plans (up to 4-way SMT), and will be a feature of their Rome(?) launch in Q4 2020. For the sake of discussion, if one console has just 2-way and the other has 3-way, what kind of differences would we be looking at as a result? Better performance? Better RT capabilities? More complex physics?

I assume it will depend on the developers and how their engine works and if its set up to take advantage of that, and if so in what way — would they prefer it be RT, would they prefer it help AI, would they prefer physics — what makes the most sense for their game etc.

Feb 23, 2019
Right, but again, when has a console GPU achieved near parity in terms of clocks with its desktop counterpart? You can point to methodologies all you want, but there are hard thermal and power limits associated with small plastic boxes meant to be sold for between $400 and $500 dollars.

I've seen people point out that DF basically confirmed the leak, but they always leave out the part about Richard being highly skeptical of the clocks being indicative of what we'd see in next gen consoles. And that right there is the topic in a nutshell.

Navi is a new architecture, so we don't know what the clocks will be for a desktop variant. Secondly, Navi was developed specifically for the mid-range console APU market...so it stands to reason that the desktop cards won't be top of the line and therefore impossible for consoles to meet.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This is not true, but seen as I agree with the most of what ya posted I'm not going to dig into this any deeper than that. No one knows anything, everyone should accept that and people should be able to discuss all the possibilities & potential that next-gen hw can offer.

i see why you dont want to drag all this up, and i'm fine with leaving our posts as they stand - but shoot me a pm, i'm genuinely curious

sujay

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone else notice this?

From that Reddit post from a supposed developer about the PS5 SSD that has already been posted and talked about:

If you go to the user:

You see this as their avatar:

K740fAa.png

The URL then leads to this image:

pfnbeKW.png

Oct 25, 2017
Navi is a new architecture, so we don't know what the clocks will be for a desktop variant. Secondly, Navi was developed specifically for the mid-range console APU market...so it stands to reason that the desktop cards won't be top of the line and therefore impossible for consoles to meet.

You're right, we don't, but the only hope of the Gonzalo leak being representative of console clocks would be for AMD to hit new highs. Mid-range or not, expecting consoles to get close to that is just silly.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.