Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
my thoughts as well. I think only a very small set of enthousiasts will care about an upgrade that features 'better raytracing'. 4K is a 'clear box' to tick, since you also need a TV for that, and other media uses it as well.
Absolutely. There has to be a reason for them to try and justify putting so much money into research and development for a new product. The only way that becomes more appealing is if you have better resolution.

One also has to ask the question whether CPU's will have improved so much better, if AMD will have solved the 64 CU limit thing, or whether or not their new architecture will be vastly better than what is there at reasonable cost.

I completely agree with this. isnt it nicer to tell him this response rather than calling him a clown ,etc.. that people were doing? makes the forum more inclusive of both sides and raises great points ;)
Problem with him is (s)he is on the record as saying that he likes to stir the hornets nest or something like that.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Absolutely. There has to be a reason for them to try and justify putting so much money into research and development for a new product. The only way that becomes more appealing is if you have better resolution.

One also has to ask the question whether CPU's will have improved so much better, if AMD will have solved the 64 CU limit thing, or whether or not their new architecture will be vastly better than what is there at reasonable cost.

Problem with him is (s)he is on the record as saying that he likes to stir the hornets nest or something like that.
Not surprising, the guy is trolling.

Nov 12, 2017
Phil Spencer after his talk at e3 will want to sell his soul to have the most powerful ...I absolutely expect Anaconda to be the most powerful ..and IMHO that's is not even to discuss about...because they know that if this don't happen basically they will be derided for the entire gen......here the thing isnt if Anaconda will be more powerful than ps5..but how much the gap will be between Lockhart and ps5

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of Unreal Engine 4, what next generation features are currently available in the engine or soon to be implemented that current gen consoles are too weak to use but the next gen consoles can fully utilise with their beefy CPU and GPU?
There are also couple of features like SSGI and virtual texturing, which just have started appearing on dev branch of UE4 and are not necessarily too heavy for current gen, but may be late for them to become commonplace.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Last edited:

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Phil Spencer after his talk at e3 will want to sell his soul to have the most powerful ...I absolutely expect Anaconda to be the most powerful ..and IMHO that's is not even to discuss about...because they know that if this don't happen basically they will be derided for the entire gen......here the thing isnt if Anaconda will be more powerful than ps5..but how much the gap will be between Lockhart and ps5

Next-box confirmed as more powerful because Phil said so.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017

It was a reasonable mission statement, we're just waiting to see how it plays out in reality. We still have no genuine knowledge of how the two compare, or what technology choices they both made. We don't know what issues they both had, what changes they've made during development.

We could still have a year+ of this speculation ahead of us. Fun times.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
They just launched a 1.4TF discless console starting at $299 MSRP, yet they'll manage to drop a 6TF console with all the next-gen bells and whistles for $249 next year? While the current 6TF unit is still selling at around $499?

Wizardry.
Actually it msrp's at 249 with 3 games. The standard S retails for 299$ but do u see it at that price?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Actually it msrp's at 249 with 3 games. The standard S retails for 299$ but do u see it at that price?

Thanks, I edited to $249, I got my wires crossed.
Fact remains that it could have been their budget-entry into the Xbox ecosystem and yet they decided it to send it to retail at $249. Makes zero sense to expect a next-gen 6TF console with brand new hardware and modern architecture to retail at the same price when you look at the hardware differences. It gets even weirder when you consider that the current 6TF unit that's been on the market for over a year is still retailing at around $500.

That is, unless they suddenly decide to take huge losses on every single next-gen console. Doubt it.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh good, a game we can all play.

Lockhart - 6TF - 349 (The expensive "cheap" option. It could be lower TF but I don't see a price below 300 being realistic)
PS5 - 12.9 TF - 399 (Goldilocks)
Anaconda - 11.5 to 12.x TF - 499 (The expensive "weak" option. Best to wait for the first price cut after it sells poorly)

Nov 8, 2017
I see Xbox using Tflops as a marketing tool with the X worked as well as Sony using GDDR5 with the PS4. Folks are putting waaay too much importance in a number that doesn't always represent real world performance.

I think people are aiming a little too high with power while low-balling the price. And TDP needs to be taken into consideration as well. These consoles are gonna have huge external power bricks the way some of y'all are talking. I'm sure these consoles will stay sub 200W. 250W at most. We aren't getting the specs some folks are expecting at that tdp.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I think its best to not participate in any discussion until Computex and then E3. Too much emotions right now ...

Lets hope AMD has some Navi products to show atleast. We don't even need a hard launch with prices. Specifications and rough performance target would be sweet.
Would be terrible if she just mentioned them 10 seconds telling people that Navi will launch later this year and only focuses on Ryzen 3000 (which I still super look forward to).

Oct 27, 2017
These consoles are gonna have huge external power bricks the way some of y'all are talking. I'm sure these consoles will stay sub 200W. 250W at most. We aren't getting the specs some folks are expecting at that tdp.

I think this is a good point — if we are hoping to see power above a certain threshold we may very well be back to external bricks again.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Both this and the previous thread were mostly just throwing random TFs around. The only thing that's sort of new is that people started to turn it into box X will be better than box Y because reasons.

yeah I mean people can throw around TF numbers and speculate all they want but I genuinely wasn't sure right now if the $399 13TF and Xbox one X 16TF posts were serious or not.

As far as performance war for the crown goes I don't participate in that and I don't really care much. Raw performance has never swayed me to one side or the other.

Feb 10, 2018

Lockhart - 6TF - 349 (The expensive "cheap" option. It could be lower TF but I don't see a price below 300 being realistic)
Anaconda - 11.5 to 12.x TF - 499 (The expensive "weak" option. Best to wait for the first price cut after it sells poorly)

You want to do an avatar bet?

I bet the PS5 won't be both more powerful and cheaper then anaconda.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wouldn't be surprised that the whole 2 SKU approach (that people already seem to take as fact) will end up not coming to fruition at all. I'm sure the idea has floated around on both companies' design chalkboards at some point, but I remain unconvinced that MS will actually go that route. I see it more likely to backfire than to benefit anyone.

I could see both Sony and Microsoft coming out with a single box costing either 399$ or 499$ and perhaps Microsoft will have a cheap streaming box on the side that is largely hardware agnostic.

The MS streaming box would be able to provide all next-gen games through streaming alone without having to supply it's own local hardware. Very low price of entry, gamepass, it would be a great value product if the public is able to cope with the downsides of streaming.

So what I could see happening:

Xbox Stream - $149 - Streaming unit
PS5 - $399 - 10TF, SSD
Xbox Anaconda - $499 - 12TF, SSD

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
As far as serious speculation goes, the only reliable insider we have is Schreier saying Sony/MS are aiming higher than Stadia's 10.7TF. I also think 12TF is the absolute ceiling as to what we can expect so my prediction is both PS5/Anaconda end up somewhere in the 11TF neighborhood. I also have both at $499 for what that's worth.

But shit, I really wish this thread revolved less around GPU TF speculation. When we're about to jump from HDD to SSD and Jaguar to Zen 2, GPU is easily the least interesting part of the conversation.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised that the whole 2 SKU approach (that people already seem to take as fact) will end up not coming to fruition at all. I'm sure the idea has floated around on both companies' design chalkboards at some point, but I remain unconvinced that MS will actually go that route. I see it more likely to backfire than to benefit anyone.

I could see both Sony and Microsoft coming out with a single box costing either 399$ or 499$ and perhaps Microsoft will have a cheap streaming box on the side that is largely hardware agnostic.

The MS streaming box would be able to provide all next-gen games through streaming alone without having to supply it's own local hardware. Very low price of entry, gamepass, it would be a great value product if the public is able to cope with the downsides of streaming.

So what I could see happening:

Xbox Stream - $149 - Streaming unit
PS5 - $399 - 10TF, SSD
Xbox Anaconda - $499 - 12TF, SSD
You'd think by now there'd be at least one insider at least hinting at them not have 2 SKUs if they weren't actually taking that approach. Everyone seems pretty convinced that it's happening, and that strategy document heavily points that way too. At this point, it seems incredibly unlikely that they'll just have one SKU.

Oct 27, 2017
Lets talk about something else then — what do next gen consoles need to do to take VR from niche to mainstream?

what specifics in tech?
what specifics in technique?
what do they need software wise?
what do they need for inputs? wireless? improvements to tracking?

I've been thinking a bit about WiFi standards lately and some of the proposed speed and wondering what they would actually offer people in the home that that is of value — the only answers I can come up with are 4K streaming (multiple streams, so daily members can watch different things) , and wireless connections between say a console and a VR headset.

what are your thoughts?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You'd think by now there'd be at least one insider at least hinting at them not have 2 SKUs if they weren't actually taking that approach. Everyone seems pretty convinced that it's happening, and that strategy document heavily points that way too. At this point, it seems incredibly unlikely that they'll just have one SKU.

We have jack shit that's actually confirmed aside from the Wired piece and most people that are labelled as insiders have barely said anything at all without a vague disclaimer or vast amounts of room for speculation and/or interpretation.

But still. Microsoft could have it's two SKU approach with a streaming box as the low-end. I just don't see any scenario in where the currently accepted theory of lockhart/anaconda pans out the way people hope it does.

Neoshockwave

Oct 28, 2017
As far as serious speculation goes, the only reliable insider we have is Schreier saying Sony/MS are aiming higher than Stadia's 10.7TF. I also think 12TF is the absolute ceiling as to what we can expect so my prediction is both PS5/Anaconda end up somewhere in the 11TF neighborhood. I also have both at $499 for what that's worth.

But shit, I really wish this thread revolved less around GPU TF speculation. When we're about to jump from HDD to SSD and Jaguar to Zen 2, GPU is easily the least interesting part of the conversation.

Spot-on. The TF discussion is really dominating the thread but the leap in CPU power and storage type is such a game-changer.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

How about this:
Lockhart - 6TF - X1X with new CPU
PS5 - 8 TF - The economic option
Anaconda - 11 TF - Expensive but powerful

Happy?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
We have jack shit that's actually confirmed aside from the Wired piece and most people that are labelled as insiders have barely said anything at all without a vague disclaimer or vast amounts of room for speculation and/or interpretation.

But still. Microsoft could have it's two SKU approach with a streaming box as the low-end. I just don't see any scenario in where the currently accepted theory of lockhart/anaconda pans out the way people hope it does.
That strategy document has been verified, hmqgg (claimed Lockhart isn't a streaming option) has been verfifed , Eurogamer's sources back up the 2 SKU approach. There's enough smoke to black out the sun.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
How about an Anaconda that is 499 but with a year of Gamepass thrown in?

And what if we don't have to pay for online XBL anymore?

I like this game...

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New week, new TF count? What's the number for Monday guys?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The thing about the vastly improved CPU is that I'm not completely sure it will translate in anything revolutionary. We'll surely get more and better of a bunch of stuff: better physics (even though a lot of that is done GPU-side, nowadays), improved AI in both number of entities and depth (even though, again, a lot of that - like pathfinding - is done way faster GPU-side, nowadays), more comprehensive world sim, more draw calls i.e. more triangles (even though self-feeding GPUs and all that).

A lot of those are more design decisions than anything else, though - less limited by hardware grunt but by what makes gameplay sense. Stuff like Gran Turismo could greatly benefit from having more grunt to run car simulations, but I doubt they'll push it to hard sim levels because, well, that's just not what GT is.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Lets talk about something else then — what do next gen consoles need to do to take VR from niche to mainstream?

what specifics in tech?

I've been thinking a bit about WiFi standards lately and some of the proposed speed and wondering what they would actually offer people in the home that that is of value — the only answers I can come up with are 4K streaming (multiple streams, so daily members can watch different things) , and wireless connections between say a console and a VR headset.

what are your thoughts?
Honestly, all they need to d is ensure the headset, controllers....etc all retail for a total of $100. The issue with VR has always been (its price). Its a peripheral, so you are asking people to spent $200-$1000 extra on top whatever they spent for their console or PC. You either bring that down to $100, or you make it $399 and the headset doesn't need a PC/console.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That strategy document has been verified, hmqgg (claimed Lockhart isn't a streaming option) has been verfifed , Eurogamer's sources back up the 2 SKU approach. There's enough smoke to black out the sun.

I think we're using different interpretations of the word 'verified'. I remember many 'verified' insiders back in the GAF days that had people hanging on to their every word simply because they were preaching to the choir. The Wii-U, the Xbox One and Playstation 4 and Switch all had them. God, the drama. The nonsense always flies from all angles. I won't deny there is smoke, but in these matters there rarely is an actual single fire.

Hell, they might actually go with a 2 (3 including streambox) SKU approach. But I can see such a decision backfiring in the end.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

what specifics in tech?

what are your thoughts?

I haven't kept up with the VR scene at all, is wireless actually viable now? Speaking for myself, that's pretty much all I need to make the leap there.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I think we're using different interpretations of the word 'verified'. I remember many 'verified' insiders back in the GAF days that had people hanging on to their every word simply because they were preaching to the choir. The Wii-U, the Xbox One and Playstation 4 and Switch all had them. God, the drama. The nonsense always flies from all angles. I won't deny there is smoke, but in these matters there rarely is an actual single fire.

Hell, they might actually go with a 2 (3 including streambox) SKU approach. But I can see such a decision backfiring in the end.
It could backfire, or it could work out really well for them. It'll come down to the price and how capable Lockhart is.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
whats the point of a streaming box? isnt the entire point of xcloud to stream to virtually any modern device, phones included? would a stand alone, streaming xbox be necessary?

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
This thread

tenor.gif

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It could backfire, or it could work out really well for them. It'll come down to the price and how capable Lockhart is.

We'll see. Too bad those things are inversely related and I don't think there's a real 'sweet spot' that makes sense business-wise.

whats the point of a streaming box? isnt the entire point of xcloud to stream to virtually any modern device, phones included? would a stand alone, streaming xbox be necessary?

Because you need a device that receives the stream and puts it on your TV/projector? Or do you honestly think every TV out there is going to be supporting some Xbox 'app' with it's built in hardware and OS?

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland

what specifics in tech?

what are your thoughts?
Wireless headsets seem like a good target to aim for, although even just a one cable USBC solution would be nice compared to what we have now.

If they can actually crack foveated rendering with a good eye tracking solution then it would massively improve the visuals capable and fundamentally open up every AAA game for possible support whereas right now it's technically not really feasible without major downgrades in visuals. You could feasibly have a VR mode in the next GTA game as it would involve far less effort to just get it to work. That would be a massive selling point that could justify the investment for many. I'd pay that just to have the chance to cruise around that massive open world in VR, or fly a helicopter over the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.