• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Sony (ps3 was their best attempt at it) isn't certainly know for build the "most powerful" consoles .. cmon.....if wasnt for the 100 dollars spent on Kinect I'm pretty sure that also the ogxbox one would gain those 0.5 TF difference (or even more )

This is some parallel universe level bullshit. All the Playstation consoles were the best the technology could have gotten you at the time of release for a reasonably priced console. You have no idea what you are talking about...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This is some parallel universe level bullshit. All the Playstation consoles were the best the technology could have gotten you at the time of release for a reanably priced console. You have no idea what you are talking about...

Power PC architecture wasn't the issue it was the cell cpu itself and it's shit documentation. But yea, the tech was still really good for something that came out in 2006 and lasted until 2012-2013.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sony bags some really big 3rd party exclusive launch games like Destiny 3.

Bungie now out from under Activision means they're free to sign deals like this of their own volition, and partnering with a big first party can provide them with big benefits in development resource support for the game.

It would really piss off Xbox fans though, and understandably so. Hasn't stopped deals like this being made in the past though.
What would be the point of that?

Microsoft can also "bag" some big third party game.

Like, really? What's even the point of that speculation?

Feb 10, 2018
I do wonder how Raytracing would work with modern games doing so much aggressive culling of degenerate polys facing away from the camera and outside the view frustrom...?

If you had RT reflexions, for example, and you looked in a mirror at an object beside you, would it simply appear without a back?

I think Ray tracing will be used sparingly where it makes sense.

At 9.50 in the video below he says Ray tracing is not always needed E. G you ray trace water reflection, but RT reflection is not necessary on a rock texture because the reflection is low detail.

Also there is a lot of progress still to be made using rasterisation, this video below has no ray tracing.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sony bags some really big 3rd party exclusive launch games like Destiny 3.

Bungie now out from under Activision means they're free to sign deals like this of their own volition, and partnering with a big first party can provide them with big benefits in development resource support for the game.

It would really piss off Xbox fans though, and understandably so. Hasn't stopped deals like this being made in the past though.
Bungie have partnered with NetEase. They don't need any "development resource support".

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
FACTS

No one seems to mention this. Sony has a super healthy relationship with studios across the world including Insomniac, Blue Point, From Software, Capcom, etc. There's absolutely no way they haven't earmarked some money for them.
Microsoft have worked with Insomniac, From Software and Capcom on exclusives. After all, all it takes is just an agreement on what the project is and how much money is changing hands.

Which is why I said they could make something else, less demanding then an open world game.
I think that the games we see from Microsoft in the launch will be Halo Infinite, Forza 8, something from Ninja Theory if it does not launch before the console launch, a third party title.

Feb 10, 2018
Microsoft have worked with Insomniac, From Software and Capcom on exclusives. After all, all it takes is just an agreement on what the project is and how much money is changing hands.

I think that the games we see from Microsoft in the launch will be Halo Infinite, Forza 8, something from Ninja Theory if it does not launch before the console launch, a third party title.

Sounds plausible.
You think Ms will have a 3rd party make a scarlett launch exclusive?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I also thought a controller for 150 would be suicidal.

And why is 499 the magic barrier? I think there are many grown up gamers with a good income
who would buy a console above 499.

Of course it´s not the best strategy if you have only one console to sell, but there will be 4 at that time / and at least 2.
So you can cover some prices for example 199, 299, 399 and whatever. Why not serve the premium segment if
the core is covered?

Maybe it´s because of the expectations of the customers regarding consoles, but I don´t know where this comes from and i think it´s very old fashioned.
It´s like the assumption only Kids will buy consoles
But it´s not like that anymore!

Is there any magic barrier for smart phones? Is a smart phone too expensive if it´s priced above 400€?
is it a problem that there are 3 or 4 different iterations of one model at the same time?
Is it a problem that the last 3 generations are supported at the same time?
Does anyone feel left behind because he can´t afford the iPhone XS Max 512GB?
It´s not like they can´t make a call or write a whats app with a 200€ Samsung Smartphone.
It´s like with all goods, I can afford some and some not.

If it´s not impossible by the nature of the product you can buy everything you think about in different variations, quality, etc.
Even meat, but consoles, noooooo:)

it´s fascinating

If MS was alone they could price them however they wanted, but if they come out at $399/$599 the party at Sony's Headquarters would last for months :P

I think 2 SKU's can work, but not at those prices you suggested.

Budget SKU? OK, but $399 is not budget. $199/$299 is the price you're looking for.

Premium SKU? OK, but $599 is too expensive to be meaningful in any way other than PR, specially agains a $399/$499 PS5 with the same CPU, an SSD, RT, fast RAM etc.

I mean it has nothing to do with those examples you posted, is all about perceived value here, and getting the price just right.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I dont want to see remasters of TLOU2 or Death Stranding. I want Sony and those 1st party developers to update those games to take advantage of the PS5 hardware. Similar to what MS has been doing with their BC games. I am not double dipping on those games.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I dont want to see remasters of TLOU2 or Death Stranding. I want Sony and those 1st party developers to update those games to take advantage of the PS5 hardware. Similar to what MS has been doing with their BC games. I am not double dipping on those games.

I doubt that will be how Sony does things with PS4 to PS5. It will be no different than PS3 to PS4, with the exception of backwards compatibility.

PS5 versions of those games will be separate releases, not patches/updates, IMO.

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
I doubt that will be how Sony does things with PS4 to PS5. It will be no different than PS3 to PS4, with the exception of backwards compatibility.

PS5 versions of those games will be separate releases, not patches/updates, IMO.
4K texture upgrades wont fit in a PS4 disc so itll have to be downloaded, maybe at a small cost $5??

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What would be the point of that?

Microsoft can also "bag" some big third party game.

Like, really? What's even the point of that speculation?

Huh? That's a weirdly redundant question. I mean what is the point of any speculation.

Bungie no longer have Activision's other helper studio to assist with development, and a first party's marketing muscle can make a big difference for an indie developer.

There are many reasons why studios like Bungie might sign exclusive deals with MS or Sony.

I don't understand why you seem so offended by a bit of harmless speculation, and the "MS too" line really isn't necessary. MS could sign equally as surprising exclusive deals and me saying that Sony can doesn't imply i'm saying MS can't.

Chill out a bit, Welfare.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah and it's dumb as fuck. I love Sonys first party games. I did double dip on a few they released from prior generations. But with BC coming to the ps5 for ps4, that is just down right anti consumer. Knowing MS will do this with their frost party games will make it look like a bad money grab.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? That's a weirdly redundant question. I mean what is the point of any speculation.

Bungie no longer have Activision's other helper studio to assist with development, and a first party's marketing muscle can make a big difference for an indie developer.

There are many reasons why studios like Bungie might sign exclusive deals with MS or Sony.

I don't understand why you seem so offended by a bit of harmless speculation, and the "MS too" line really isn't necessary. MS could sign equally as surprising exclusive deals and me saying that Sony can doesn't imply i'm saying MS can't.

Xbox gonna snag that From Software exclusive for launch.

I like this game :)

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Sounds plausible.
You think Ms will have a 3rd party make a scarlett launch exclusive?
Project Gotham Racing 3, Condemned Criminal Origins, Ridge Racer 6 were all exclusive to the Xbox 360 launch.

The Xbox One got Ryse: Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall coming within launch window.

A lot of the studios they bought are not in position to put out games in the first year or two in my opinion. They would have to rely on some third party support before those studios are in position to consistently put out games. In any case, this is something that they have done with every console they have launched.

Feb 10, 2018
Project Gotham Racing 3, Condemned Criminal Origins, Ridge Racer 6 were all exclusive to the Xbox 360 launch.

The Xbox One got Ryse: Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall coming within launch window.

A lot of the studios they bought are not in position to put out games in the first year or two in my opinion. They would have to rely on some third party support before those studios are in position to consistently put out games. In any case, this is something that they have done with every console they have launched.

It was rumoured that ms is buying even more studios so maybe we will see something from them.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They'll be backwards compatible with some improvements thanks to PS5, but to get Raytracing, improved character models, better textures, better environments, that's gonna take extra work and a remaster will definitely be on the cards.

And many will gladly double dip if the improvements are big enough.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I do wonder how Raytracing would work with modern games doing so much aggressive culling of degenerate polys facing away from the camera and outside the view frustrom...?

If you had RT reflexions, for example, and you looked in a mirror at an object beside you, would it simply appear without a back?

Intersection tests for rays would likely be narrowed down by evaluating a volume hierarchy first, and individual surface intersection would be the final stage. Culling would eliminate surfaces facing away from the origin of the ray being tested, not those facing away from the camera.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
One question:

Do MS or Sony dare show their new console, without showing the physical form of their console?

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think two SKUs will work in any way and i'll try to explain why:

If Lockheart is 399 and Anaconda is 499, why should people buy Lockheart if Anaconda is only 100$ more? 20GB vs 60GB PS3 has shown, that the majority want the stronger console even if it's 100$.

If Lockheart is 299 we'll have a bigger Gap. Who is the Lockheart targeted at ? Casuals? Fortnite/Apex/Moba gamers? Well they can also play these games on PS4/XONE. No Gamer will buy the worst console of the New Generation knowing that there are other out there which are A LOT stronger. I mean, you are going to buy a 299$ Machine just to see others playing games with much better visuals and performance.
Both cases don't work in that way. 100 dollars / Euro are always enough to make flip part of the buyers......and most part of the market but the cheaper console of the gen ...this gen with mid refreshes should tell you everything

Nov 12, 2017
I fully expect Guerrilla to wow us again with a FPS (Killzone or not) with incredible graphics: 4K + 60fps + RT lighting.

And then there will be the inevitable remasters : TLOU2 and Death Stranding both remastered with RT lighting + 60fps. Gamers will buy the PS4 games and will happily double dip for 60fps and RT.

Finally with Ghost of Tsushima Sony will have all the games they need for a successful launch. And then next E3 they'll show others games like God of War 2, Horizon 2 and most probably a From Software exclusive to create hype.
Wow us with a fps ? U mean graphically? Really for how much great is HZD ...last Killzone was so boring that I never played more than 30 mins I tried to go in 5 or 6 times but nothing ....and It was my first title of this gen
I hope they will give up on fps or at least on KZ

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Destiny 3 is just random. That's the point. You won't see a massive third party IP turn exclusive next gen. It's like the speculation that Sony will buy Take Two or Microsoft buys EA, to me.

Something like Sony contracting a third party for a new IP can very likely happen, like Bloodborne or Ryse with MS. Something massive like Destiny is on the scale of speculating if Call of Duty goes exclusive.

Nov 12, 2017
This is some parallel universe level bullshit. All the Playstation consoles were the best the technology could have gotten you at the time of release for a reasonably priced console. You have no idea what you are talking about...
Sorry let's agree to disagree ..no..Sony never been looking to be a "powerhouse" ....u til the ps3 ...and it was basically in par with the x360
As I said I know that I'll not make you change idea....so let's close here ..this is not the right thread for this

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Sorry let's agree to disagree ..no..Sony never been looking to be a "powerhouse" ....u til the ps3 ...and it was basically in par with the x360
As I said I know that I'll not make you change idea....so let's close here ..this is not the right thread for this

Yes they were. They crammed the best technology they could afford at the time for the PS, PS2, PSP VITA and PS4, given the price point. This is not up for debate, really. The PS3 plan to include a Raserizer did not pan out, so they had to fall back on Nvidia, but the idea was, just like for any other of their consoles, having the best performing machine at launch. Every console manufacturer, throughout the history of the medimum, including the pre Wii Nintendo, aimed to launch great pieces of hardware. What are you on?

Oct 27, 2017
They'll be backwards compatible with some improvements thanks to PS5, but to get Raytracing, improved character models, better textures, better environments, that's gonna take extra work and a remaster will definitely be on the cards.

I dunno... I feel like for games made after a certain period they would already be doing that work already. I think studios have come a long way in how forward-thinking they are in their engines & asset production than we are giving them credit for.

It's quite common for modern game asset creation to be made high and scaled down for perf reasons. Maybe not as much in older generations, but definitely for this gen where developers are making games to scale from XB1 all the way up to top tier PCs with multi-GPUs. Third party studios that need their game to be in multiple platforms definitely have engines and asset pipelines that can already scale.

And I'm sure I could be wrong, but I heavily doubt any of Sony's first or second parties won't have already been considering "what comes next" from as far back as the PS4 Pro. Same for MS and their studios working on games that would ship on both base XB1 & 1X. The only unaccounted for variable on that is probably RT.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I think what Gamer17 is wondering is why Lisa did mention both Microsoft along with "secret sauce" in last September's Mad Money interview but didn't mention Microsoft at all in today's Mad Money interview.

I just think its because we're a month from Microsoft's E3 reveal.

Also not mentioning Navi or whatever GPU arch is used isn't that surprising. Sony didn't officially call the PS4 GPU Southern Islands or Pitcairn (though did mention "Jaguar").
Ya that makes sense. It was interesting she specifically didn't mention ms this time, but E3 is so close.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
PS4 didn't show the console but xbox one did.

I think this E3 will be about xcloud and similar info song gave on PS5 and maybe a next gen teaser.

I think full unviels will be closer to launch.
I actually think Microsoft might show Halo running on "simulated next-gen hardware" at E3 this year. It would be a huge risk, but we're really in uncharted territory with the idea that we will have seen Halo: Infinite at two E3s before the lead console for the software is even formally unveiled. Yes, it will be on Xbox One, but it is clearly designed, in my opinion, to be a Scarlett showpiece.

Feb 10, 2018
I actually think Microsoft might show Halo running on "simulated next-gen hardware" at E3 this year. It would be a huge risk, but we're really in uncharted territory with the idea that we will have seen Halo: Infinite at two E3s before the lead console for the software is even formally unveiled. Yes, it will be on Xbox One, but it is clearly designed, in my opinion, to be a Scarlett showpiece.

They should only show halo infinite on scarlett if its a big upgrade over current gen
I think they would be better of showing a clip of forza 8 and wowing people with next gen racing visuals, with hopefully full 3d crowds!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Guys, imagine a next-gen Monster Hunter World in which there's a lot more environmental interaction, complex physics & animations, monsters can slip and fall as they're chasing you or vice-versa. An Anjanath could run and slip right into the side of a cliff or hill, where rocks don't just break apart and disappear but smoothly come crashing down. It would be a whole new level of interaction, animation, physics. Would only be possible because of the massive leap in CPU.

From GDC 2018 - the 2015 MHW prototype

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
They should only show halo infinite on scarlett if its a big upgrade over current gen
I think they would be better of showing a clip of forza 8 and wowing people with next gen racing visuals, with hopefully full 3d crowds!
In ign filtered interview, Bonnie Ross said the technical director will give a presentation at E3 of the new technology.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, imagine a next-gen Monster Hunter World in which there's a lot more environmental interaction, complex physics & animations, monsters can slip and fall as they're chasing you or vice-versa. An Anjanath could run and slip right into the side of a cliff or hill, where rocks don't just break apart and disappear but smoothly come crashing down. It would be a whole new level of interaction, animation, physics. Would only be possible because of the massive leap in CPU.

From GDC 2018 - the 2015 MHW prototype

you mean like this?

WSBZx7N.gif
5PVJDal.gif

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017

I hope those are very very big improvements then and more than what you listed there.

Feb 10, 2018
Not sure if this has been posted but 3D Realms dev's claim that the PS5/Xbox 2 is much faster then Google's 10.7tf Stadia. Article:

https://screenrant.com/google-stadia-playstation-5-xbox-power-comparison/

If this is all true (my guess is that it's true) then next gen consoles will be beasts in terms of performance.

He might be talking about the fact they are not streamed.
I mean to be a lot more powerful then stadia, is what? Double?
That would mean 20tflop gpu, 32gb ram.
From what we heard about Navi more then 13tflops just does not seem possible in consoles.

Monkhaus

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
If MS was alone they could price them however they wanted, but if they come out at $399/$599 the party at Sony's Headquarters would last for months :P

Budget SKU? OK, but $399 is not budget. $199/$299 is the price you're looking for.

Premium SKU? OK, but $599 is too expensive to be meaningful in any way other than PR, specially agains a $399/$499 PS5 with the same CPU, an SSD, RT, fast RAM etc.

I mean it has nothing to do with those examples you posted, is all about perceived value here, and getting the price just right.

I never said that there will be a budget sku.
Thats your imagination and conclusion what lockhart will be.

So and therefor 399 would be fine for me.
Too expensive, too expensive is not really convincing me as an argument.

Please enlight me, but not that way.
Justify your opinion otherwise it won't change mine.

And i think you didn't understand my post at all because the main questioning is why such prices are not accepted when they are accepted with nearly every other product.

I got that feeling that most gamers are narrow minded when it comes to gaming

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
My bet is that Sony snatches this up as an exclusive early PS5 titles.

It's PS4 only at this time. Would not surprise me if it is cross-gen in the same vein as Sony's first party games.

As for the topic, I am excited to see just how fast these loading times will be for PS5 games. Making the PS4 games load extremely fast is always nice, but I wonder how it will go for PS5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.