LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
One thing I haven't seen mentionned is that the "black substance" is likely inspired from Ferrofluids, a ferric liquid oil-like substance that makes spikes when magnetised.
ho7mtZo.png
Looks like feralfluids to me

olimpia84

Nov 1, 2017
Tampa Bay
Can't wait for this. Was going to buy this just to replay 3D World again so the bonus Bowser adventure is just a bonus for me. And it's shaping up to be a nice bonus from what it looks like with this new trailer :)

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Derrick used to work at GameExplain and was behind a lot of their "Analysis Machine" videos of a similar style. The majority of the GX team left to start GVG.

More details on why they left here, it ain't pretty.

www.resetera.com

Former GameXplain members talk about troubles with the company (heavy crunch, low pay) [Update: André Response]

This should probably get it's own thread. A few members of the old crew talked about some issues with the old company in one of their latest videos, citing examples of heavy crunch. One of the members was forced to complete Final Fantasy 7 Remake in two days. Skip to the April section of the...
Man, what a shame. I loved those in deep analysis by gameexplain. That's why i never watched them anymore. Thanks for the info.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Man, what a shame. I loved those in deep analysis by gameexplain. That's why i never watched them anymore. Thanks for the info.

I was super happy that somebody brought this video to light because I'd been missing the analysis engine. Hadn't paid much attention to GVG prior to a day or so ago, but I'm subbed now. So many familiar voices

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
OMG I just realized something watching the GVG deep dive video. Yes, this new campaign is a mix of 3D World platforming and Odyssey sandbox design, BUT, what Bowser's Fury actually is is a mini Mario BOTW!

Bowser is sleeping in the center of the world, visible from everywhere else. There is a malice-like black goop covering the world that Mario has to clear up. There seem to be four distinct regions of the map. There might be open ended, non-linear gameplay in terms of where you go when. This is a test for Mario BOTW!
This sounds so cool. Here's hoping this is a test run for a potentially full fledged Bowser's Fury huge open world game in the future. 3D World is already showing how you can incorporate platforming sections into a large world.

I didn't know about these changes to movement and I don't know if I support that to be honest.

I definitely do. The changes to movement sound amazing. That was one of my biggest criticisms with the original game and they seemed to have fixed something that I never even expected them to. I didn't even know that they did away with the 8 way movement until today. What a blessed change.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know about these changes to movement and I don't know if I support that to be honest.
I'm a bit wary too, I thought the speed was fine in the original and limiting movement to 8 directions helped to be more precise, and the level design and camera view were in support of that. I guess we'll see, they usually know what they're doing when it comes to controls. Giving the choice would be best but it's not the Nintendo way :p

I'm still super excited for the game, mind you.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I guess the fact it was made for the 3D display of the 3DS makes it a challenge to port well?

From what I remember there were only a handful of rooms that actually required that 3D be turned on, and all of them were optional. It would definitely take some extra work to port it but it doesn't seem like it'd be impossible.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018
I did not read the whole thread...but will i get punished by everyone, If i post the gamexplain video from Tris and Chris here?
Tris and Chris are great, I never really understood the argument that the new GX crew didn't "click" with people. They're a fun group for sure in my opinion.
I think actual issue here is that it will add clicks to the video, therefore increasing the revenue that seemingly goes toward Andre's pocket with bits and pieces being left for his staff.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched the video on my laptop and I do think it's a free roaming world. However, I think it's a hell of alot bigger than we think it is.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Tris and Chris are great, I never really understood the argument that the new GX crew didn't "click" with people. They're a fun group for sure in my opinion.
I think actual issue here is that it will add clicks to the video, therefore increasing the revenue that seemingly goes toward Andre's pocket with bits and pieces being left for his staff.
Yeah, i get that. I have to say that i read every statement. And of course i dont like the way, Andre treated Jon, Ash, Derrick and Steve..but we dont know how the new guys are getting payed...do we? For that, i want to support Tris, Chris, Tom and Joey. I think it's worse for those guys if we punish them aus well. Maybe a mod can clarify for me? Thank you.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, i get that. I have to say that i read every statement. And of course i dont like the way, Andre treated Jon, Ash, Derrick and Steve..but we dont know how the new guys are getting payed...do we? For that, i want to support Tris, Chris, Tom and Joey. I think it's worse for those guys if we punish them aus well. Maybe a mod can clarify for me? Thank you.

you'll just be helping Andre take advantage of more people

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
you'll just be helping Andre take advantage of more people
Like i said. I understand, but do we really know how the new guys + Tom are getting payed now? Just to clarify: I do not support Andre in the way he treated the old crew! But also Jon, Derrick, Steve and Ash all also said, they dont want us to be like all the other people who are spreadding hate. So, maybe a Mod can clarify for us.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I'm a bit wary too, I thought the speed was fine in the original and limiting movement to 8 directions helped to be more precise, and the level design and camera view were in support of that. I guess we'll see, they usually know what they're doing when it comes to controls. Giving the choice would be best but it's not the Nintendo way :p

I'm still super excited for the game, mind you.
If I'd have to take a guess, they set the movement and speed when developing Bowser's Fury and then changed 3D World so that the control scheme would be the same for both games.

I'm fine with it being speedier, but I thought the cat suit was OP already, so making the climbing last even longer feels like a weird choice (for regular 3D World at least).

In any case, I'm mostly curious about momentum: you could build a lot of speed with the cat suit and then quickly change to the tanooki suit for a REALLY long jump, and speedrunners used this a lot for incredible feats. Knowing Nintendo I'm assuming you'll be unable to do that in this version.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After the best Mario lauching last year, we get the second best now on the Switch.

Day 0. New mode looks insane.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Finally watched the video on my laptop and I do think it's a free roaming world. However, I think it's a hell of alot bigger than we think it is.
It's definitely free roaming, and yeah. We already know that the snow area is unlocked at some point (it's covered by goop in the original reveal trailer), so it stands to reason that there's even more. Also, it's weird to have a random snow area in addition to a regular area. Makes no sense unless there's other fire/lava/earth/desert/etc areas.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
Like i said. I understand, but do we really know how the new guys + Tom are getting payed now? Just to clarify: I do not support Andre in the way he treated the old crew! But also Jon, Derrick, Steve and Ash all also said, they dont want us to be like all the other people who are spreadding hate. So, maybe a Mod can clarify for us.
I'm sure a serial abuser has completely changed his ways with the new staff without any pressure to change.

No offence but that's extremely nieve.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
It's definitely free roaming, and yeah. We already know that the snow area is unlocked at some point (it's covered by goop in the original reveal trailer), so it stands to reason that there's even more. Also, it's weird to have a random snow area in addition to a regular area. Makes no sense unless there's other fire/lava/earth/desert/etc areas.
Ah, hadn't noticed that. Though I did notice some areas have a big black wall in the background whereas others had a gaping goop plain with maybe a wall in the distant background. So I was already wondering if we'd be driving the goop back and opening up new areas.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
I'm sure a serial abuser has completely changed his ways with the new staff without any pressure to change.

No offence but that's extremely nieve.
I totally understand you. It's just...i dont want to say 100% that the new staff hast the same bad payments, when nobody from the new staff cleared it up (which of course is absolutely their right!).
And sorry for my bad english...because i'm german, maybe i can mit find the right words.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I totally understand you. It's just...i dont want to say 100% that the new staff hast the same bad payments, when nobody from the new staff cleared it up (which of course is absolutely their right!).
And sorry for my bad english...because i'm german, maybe i can mit find the right words.
Well maybe if Andre actually made a statement we wouldn't have to guess as to the treatment of his new employees. Until then, I'm assuming the worst. And based on how little he paid his former workers, most of the proceeds from views would likely be lining his pockets. If you have to ask whether or not you should share the video, then you already know what the answer is.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It looks to me like they just created a Super Mario Odyssey Kingdom and added it to the 3D World mechanics. I doubt there will be that much more than what a regular kingdom in Odyssey already offers.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, I can't believe I didn't give this game a fair shake on the Wii U. It looks incredible and I get why so many people say it's their favorite 3d Mario. Just wow. I had no idea.

Day 1 purchase no question.

WOW it's giant cat Mario. AND he's a super saiyon? I am dead.

Were there any forced motion controls in this game or can it be played entirely with a pad? The stuff that carries over into Galaxy on the switch has definitely been inhibiting my fun with it in some ways.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
It looks to me like they just created a Super Mario Odyssey Kingdom and added it to the 3D World mechanics. I doubt there will be that much more than what a regular kingdom in Odyssey already offers.

That's what it looked like to me too. A bonus Kitty kingdom for a few hours of extra play.
I wouldn't pay full price for that but I also found 3D world to be the second weakest 3D Mario.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Actually this made me want to replay 3D Land, 3D World is still too fresh in my memory and I actually disliked the ultra wide level design made for 4 players.
Didn't stop me from 100%ing it with all characters though.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, open world areas? Bowser Jr. as an ally? Bowser as a giant open world boss that appears after a certain time or fulfilling certain conditions? Giant Golden Lion Mario? Fucking hell this is fucking amazing. I already have 3D World, but like hell I'll skip out on this.

I think this was just gonna be more levels, but wow, this is definitely something unique. I love open world games that actually have boss fights that really take advantage of the open world.

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, I can't believe I didn't give this game a fair shake on the Wii U. It looks incredible and I get why so many people say it's their favorite 3d Mario. Just wow. I had no idea.

Were there any forced motion controls in this game or can it be played entirely with a pad? The stuff that carries over into Galaxy on the switch has definitely been inhibiting my fun with it in some ways.
This trailer is honestly not super indicative to how 3D World itself actually is. 3D World is basically the philosophy of 2D Mario in three dimensions, while Bowser's Fury almost looks like a fusion of their two distinct 3D Mario philosophies (linear course + open world adventure).

3D World's levels are all self-contained "idea challenge capsules" that take an idea/challenge/hazard, iterate and reiterate a few times, then finishes at a flagpole before moving on to some new idea/challenge/hazard exploration.

Each level has 3 green stars to collect that are "hidden", but always break up each stage into thirds so a player can more or less "gauge" where a star they might miss in a stage is located. And they are often more bout challenging the player's platforming ability rather than their curiosity like the collectables in adventure-style 3D Mario's tend to be (more focused on exploratory curiosity, less on pure mechanical challenge).

The Bowser's Fury stuff feels a bit more close to Odyssey in terms of design ethos, especially the collecting the tokens and open "hub-like" areas with seemingly linear "spokes" branching off.

3D World has no motion controls no.

CoolS

Oct 28, 2017
This trailer is honestly not super indicative to how 3D World itself actually is. 3D World is basically the philosophy of 2D Mario in three dimensions, while Bowser's Fury almost looks like a fusion of their two distinct 3D Mario philosophies (linear course + open world adventure).

3D World's levels are all self-contained "idea challenge capsules" that take an idea/challenge/hazard, iterate and reiterate a few times, then finishes at a flagpole before moving on to some new idea/challenge/hazard exploration.

Each level has 3 green stars to collect that are "hidden", but always break up each stage into thirds so a player can more or less "gauge" where a star they might miss in a stage is located. And they are often more bout challenging the player's platforming ability rather than their curiosity like the collectables in adventure-style 3D Mario's tend to be (more focused on exploratory curiosity, less on pure mechanical challenge).

The Bowser's Fury stuff feels a bit more close to Odyssey in terms of design ethos, especially the collecting the tokens and open "hub-like" areas with seemingly linear "spokes" branching off.

3D World has no motion controls no.
Great post and exactly why I love 3D world. It is what I always thought Mario in 3D should be. Cool plattforming levels with a clear goal.
After this trailer I'm looking forward even more to replaying this. I suspect I will enjoy the base game more then the open world expansion, but we will see.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017

The new content looks to be pretty different from the original game. This trailer for the Wii U version gives a pretty good idea of what 3D World itself is like.

Oct 31, 2017
Great post and exactly why I love 3D world. It is what I always thought Mario in 3D should be. Cool plattforming levels with a clear goal.
After this trailer I'm looking forward even more to replaying this. I suspect I will enjoy the base game more then the open world expansion, but we will see.
Yeah I think I'm not going to prefer BF over any 3DW content, but it looked alright. Of course I'm going to play it lol.

But honestly I was kind of hoping that Bowser's Fury was going to be something more like even more intense post-post game Worlds content. That it'd just be a collection of even more insane platforming levels, but it doesn't look like that's what we are getting (and I'm a bit disappointed, ngl).

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, the Bowser's Fury trailer looks freaking amazing. Didn't expect that to be honest.

Since this is an add-on and not sold as a standalone game however I think it will be quite short.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I have 0 interest in World but god damn was that Bowser Fury stuff good.

I might buy this if the new stuff is substantial.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I definitely do. The changes to movement sound amazing. That was one of my biggest criticisms with the original game and they seemed to have fixed something that I never even expected them to. I didn't even know that they did away with the 8 way movement until today. What a blessed change.

From the first SM3DW Switch trailer, the 8 way movement seems to still be in.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
OMG I just realized something watching the GVG deep dive video. Yes, this new campaign is a mix of 3D World platforming and Odyssey sandbox design, BUT, what Bowser's Fury actually is is a mini Mario BOTW!

Bowser is sleeping in the center of the world, visible from everywhere else. There is a malice-like black goop covering the world that Mario has to clear up. There seem to be four distinct regions of the map. There might be open ended, non-linear gameplay in terms of where you go when. This is a test for Mario BOTW!
I really hope they do this. I've had a dream Mario game idea for years now where it's open world like this, but set on the inside surface of a giant dyson sphere, so you can see the whole world wrapped around you in the distance.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so great. Even if it's only 2-3 hours long, it's going to be a blast. Can't wait for this and to replay 3D World. God, I love Super Mario games.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017

I'm having the same feeling, plus Cat Mario can climb walls even while raining so it's a 10/10. (I actually liked the weather system in Botw)

Goron3

Alt account
Banned
Nov 24, 2020

Just to clarify, nothing in this trailer was available in the Wii U game. The WIi U version of 3DW focuses on smaller, linear levels with an emphasis on multiplayer.