• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
I keep forgetting this is bundled with an improved version of Super Mario 3D World. Even if you can beat this in three hours it's a really great package overall.

I hope there's some replayability to it, though. I actually wonder how dynamic the Giant Bowser sections are because it would be awesome if he wasn't just a series of pre-determined boss fights at specific points in the story; but rather something that pops out to harass you at different times during playtroughs, almost like a weather system or a random event in an open world game or something.

Pido

Oct 30, 2017
When you say you 'expect', is that based on insider knowledge or information we normal folk don't know about? I say, this because we barely know anything about it apart from 2 mins of footage.
I'm not an insider lol
Just an observation based on what they showed and the fact that Nintendo is making a big deal out of it.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
REALLY digging the level design of the new worlds (world?). Looks like it takes the platforming aspect of 3d World and applies it to the big and expansive approach of Odyssey/Sunshine.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but what kind of upgrades are there supposed to be to Mario 3D World, outside of the expansion? Just an upgrade in resolution, or more to it than that?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
That all sounds good on paper, but the logic falls apart for a couple of reasons. Largely, there is no need for them to attach this to 3D World for it to sell. They've already proven they can port over titles with minimal additions and still have it sell incredibly well. It's a 3D Mario title that's going to be new to the majority of people, not some random RPG spin-off that a fraction of the regular audience cares about, and Nintendo fans are notorious double dippers so this game didn't 'need' anything.

Secondly, and the part that seemed to maybe go over your head in relation to some of the reaction, was that this trailer didn't really do much of a job explaining what this is to begin with. You call it a 'bonus mode,' but there's nothing here to indicate it's just a bonus mode. It seems like it's being treated as its own standalone thing, and it's not even clear if the co-op aspect of the main game is even part of it, and it also looks to play vastly different than 3D World. That's mainly what has confused people as to the nature of the expansion, not so much a 'why put this with 3D World' in the financial sense. Anybody can figure that out lol. I think it's more about the lack of clarifying details about what it is. That may have been what Nintendo wanted, too, who knows, maybe they want to have some shroud of mystery over it for marketing reasons. But it's less the confusion about the why and more about what that I think people are perplexed by.
Nothing went over my head about the trailer. It's really really clear what this is: A new Mario campaign. They added it on to an old one to entice people to buy a game they've already bought before. You're trying to add all this additional stuff in there like length and gameplay and if it's co-op or not, and yeah the trailer didn't do a whole lot to address any of that, but they have absolutely nothing to do with my post. We can extrapolate all kinds of things and theorize about them, I'm happy to do that, but the question that has been asked several times in this thread is: why are they adding this new content (doesn't matter if it's called a mode or expansion or if it was a keychain and sticker pack for that matter) to an old game? The answer is money. It's to get the people in this very thread who are debating if they want to spend $60 on a game they've already played, to spend $60 again to access the new content. That's the sole purpose of it's inclusion. Yeah other Wii U ports have sold well, they also have all had additional content added to them to sweeten the deal and entice people who already bought them to buy them again too.

Now if you wanna theorize on how much new content there is and what it could mean for future Mario games and their gameplay, that's fine and I'm super down to speculate!

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I feel like the issue this game will have to deal with is simply that Bowser's Fury looks far more interesting than the base game. I'm excited to replay 3D World, but I want a full-blown version of Bowser's Fury. Hopefully there's a good amount of content

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is to an extent a result of prototyping an interconnected open world for the next 3D Mario, in the same way Wind Waker HD to an extent was the result of testing art styles and technology for BotW.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but what kind of upgrades are there supposed to be to Mario 3D World, outside of the expansion? Just an upgrade in resolution, or more to it than that?
The characters move about 20% faster they unlocked the movement from only 8 directions and they added a mario odyssey like dive. Plus online though they havent shown or detailed that yet. Thats all we know right now. Nintendo hasnt really talked about any of this at all in any detail. this is just people watching the trailers and noticing new things.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The characters move about 20% faster they unlocked the movement from only 8 directions and they added a mario odyssey like dive. Plus online though they havent shown or detailed that yet. Thats all we know right now. Nintendo hasnt really talked about any of this at all in any detail. this is just people watching the trailers and noticing new things.
I forgot about the improved movement, now I'm super hyped!

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
ErkYxamUcAEZqmj

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
That all sounds good on paper, but the logic falls apart for a couple of reasons. Largely, there is no need for them to attach this to 3D World for it to sell. They've already proven they can port over titles with minimal additions and still have it sell incredibly well. It's a 3D Mario title that's going to be new to the majority of people, not some random RPG spin-off that a fraction of the regular audience cares about, and Nintendo fans are notorious double dippers so this game didn't 'need' anything.

3D World has no DLC to get bundled with for a Deluxe release and Nintendo isn't really selling ports without additional content when compared to their vanilla releases. There are titles with rather barebones additions like Tropical Freeze, but in general there's always something extra. Since 3D World is one of the games where they can't simply bundle the Switch port with previous DLC, it's instead a case where they had to develop something new.

How Bowser's Fury came about is actually not all that difficult to imagine. The team was tasked to develop additional content for the game and when coming up with ideas they pitched an experimental concept for a title that might not have worked as a full fledged Mario release, but which is a good fit for a short-ish side mode for 3D World.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about the story here. I mean I know it's mario so it won't be much but still...

I expect at least an intro and ending cutscene, kinda shows what possessed Bowser (maybe a greater villain?) what this new world is (are we still in the Sprixie Kingdom? Presumably so due to cats but still...) and where Bowser Jr. comes in.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if this is to an extent a result of prototyping an interconnected open world for the next 3D Mario, in the same way Wind Waker HD to an extent was the result of testing art styles and technology for BotW.

I think this is very likely. I would be strange to come up with this concept of free floating obsticle courses in the open world setting for a small add on

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
So it's a Mario Odyssey world made up of Mario 3D World assets? Looks pretty cool but not something I'd rebuy the whole game for.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
The guy talking seems so familiar. Amazing video by the way.

Derrick used to work at GameExplain and was behind a lot of their "Analysis Machine" videos of a similar style. The majority of the GX team left to start GVG.

More details on why they left here, it ain't pretty.

www.resetera.com

Former GameXplain members talk about troubles with the company (heavy crunch, low pay) [Update: André Response]

This should probably get it's own thread. A few members of the old crew talked about some issues with the old company in one of their latest videos, citing examples of heavy crunch. One of the members was forced to complete Final Fantasy 7 Remake in two days. Skip to the April section of the...

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
One thing I haven't seen mentionned is that the "black substance" is likely inspired from Ferrofluids, a ferric liquid oil-like substance that makes spikes when magnetised.
ho7mtZo.png

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't know about these changes to movement and I don't know if I support that to be honest.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Me: I want Goku.
Nintendo: we have Goku at home.

Goku at home: Super Saiyan Cat Mario.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
Aw poo, was hoping for more playable characters like Daisy and Wario. Expansion looks unexpected in a good way.

And for the kiddos, I hope Rosalina's much faster to unlock and I pray to god there's an infinite lives option or a "bubble" mechanic for certain players. It's hilarious when players try to cooperate and die, but not at the expense of HUNDREDS of my farmed lives lol.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
OMG I just realized something watching the GVG deep dive video. Yes, this new campaign is a mix of 3D World platforming and Odyssey sandbox design, BUT, what Bowser's Fury actually is is a mini Mario BOTW!

Bowser is sleeping in the center of the world, visible from everywhere else. There is a malice-like black goop covering the world that Mario has to clear up. There seem to be four distinct regions of the map. There might be open ended, non-linear gameplay in terms of where you go when. This is a test for Mario BOTW!

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
OMG I just realized something watching the GVG deep dive video. Yes, this new campaign is a mix of 3D World platforming and Odyssey sandbox design, BUT, what Bowser's Fury actually is is a mini Mario BOTW!

Bowser is sleeping in the center of the world, visible from everywhere else. There is a malice-like black goop covering the world that Mario has to clear up. There seem to be four distinct regions of the map. There might be open ended, non-linear gameplay in terms of where you go when. This is a test for Mario BOTW!
Yup. And the fact that it looks like you use the lighthouse to shine light on the gooped up giant cat bell, similar to how you use the divine beasts to shine their lasers on Hyrule Castle

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah this looks like a fun take. Really looking forward to it. And I have all of 3D World to look forward to as well!

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Just gonna say this, I know it was fanmade but I'll be calling the new Bowser form God Slayer Bowser from now on.

Jokes aside hopefully the level is fun to traverse and doesn't have weird restrictions like can't access this part of the island with x powerup.