jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was going to be more to Boswer's Fury but it seems to be as basic as it seems.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Huh, interesting, so that's how Ganon's Bowser's awakening works in this: it is time-based, but he becomes quiescent again as well. So you cycle between normal world and world of ruin. Definitely could be interesting imo.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was it mentioned if Rosalina is already unlocked in this or do you have to unlock her again?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Friends only multiplayer is stupid and disappointing. Photo mode is a nice addition. Bowser's Fury look interesting but definitely slight. Shame they didn't do more, I'll stick to the Wii U game

Where did they say it was friends only? And how is that disappointing? The big issue with Mario Maker 2 at first was that you COULDN'T play with your friends. Now that you CAN, you're upset?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm almost worried that the greatly increased speed of 3D World will make it less accessible to casual players, but maybe it just looks a lot faster then it feels when playing.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While they haven't confirmed/denied it, I expect the online play to use full lockstep netcode like their previous attempts so only having it in one mode just doesn't make too much sense because it's not like they have to do anything different to support it.
If it is lockstep then it's probably not a big priority to put it into Fury World since the Bowser Jr. co-op only looks a couple steps above things like Mario Galaxy's pointer co-op. It also might just be tougher to integrate in a stable way since Fury World just has way more going on as well. I wouldn't rule out rollback for the 3D World online multi though since some Nintendo games have had it, even if Mario Maker 2 not having it makes me not want to get my hopes up.

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
From the website:
"In this free-roaming adventure, you'll travel to various islands in Lake Lapcat to collect Cat Shines to reignite lighthouses and clear darkened terrain. Watch out for Bowser, though!"

"Clear darkened terrain" if thats the goo then that kind of confirms that there may be more areas in Lake Lapcat we havent seen

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Dang- I was hoping they'd eventually do an open world Mario game!

Hopefully this is a preview of the next big installment.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will bowser jr and Mario be friends after this or will Bowser immediately stab Mario in the back after helping him out

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Where did they say it was friends only? And how is that disappointing? The big issue with Mario Maker 2 at first was that you COULDN'T play with your friends. Now that you CAN, you're upset?
It's disappointing because I have no friends and thus will never play this game in multiplayer as it was intended... :( I've never gotten a chance to play the Wii U game locally and was going to pick this up if it supported matchmaking because the multiplayer experience would be sufficiently new for me to justify double-dipping

On the screen where they select online or local multiplayer the only option is to "play online with friends" and all the text references playing with friends. They wouldn't do that if matchmaking was an option. Playing with friends requires coordination and planning, you can't just hop on and play whenever like you can with matchmaking. Playing with randos also just feels different than playing with friends, the group dynamics are totally different especially if the game were to have a chat function of some kind like Mario Maker 2 has, so even if you intend to play mostly with friends playing with randos gives a different, uniquely worthwhile experience. Both matchmaking and play with friends should be options as they serve different use case scenarios.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
If it is lockstep then it's probably not a big priority to put it into Fury World since the Bowser Jr. co-op only looks a couple steps above things like Mario Galaxy's pointer co-op. It also might just be tougher to integrate in a stable way since Fury World just has way more going on as well. I wouldn't rule out rollback for the 3D World online multi though since some Nintendo games have had it, even if Mario Maker 2 not having it makes me not want to get my hopes up.

Rollback would be nice but I can already imagine the kinds of issues it would produce by characters warping around if the lag is just that bad. Granted having an extremely high amount of input delay frames isn't much better you can at least kind of adjust to that, what you can't adjust for is getting picked up and thrown after you think you've already ran past the player who did that to you. I doubt it would happen all that often, if at all, but the idea of it being possible is what they likely wouldn't want at all and lockstep would be the best way around that.

After seeing what Gears 5 did with Jack and basically having the 'helper character' become a full playable character it would be sad to see other games not try and improve on that. Nintendo just needs to get better with coop play in general.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I was super excited about Bowser's Fury after yesterday's trailer, but much less so now. It seems like it's only one semi-large open level. Also I'm never thrilled about a.i. characters joining me in a platformer.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Sign me the fuck up. This looks so rad. It makes me happy that they always try (with varying success) to give you a little something extra in their packaged re-releases.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Few things I noticed from the website:

- Rosalina is still an unlockable (and hilariously her name is misspelled as "Rosaline" at one point)
- As mentioned, Captain Toad stages are back and now have multiplayer!
- Up to two players can play on one Switch in online play, which is awesome news for me (my wife and I were going to play through the game with my friends who live elsewhere)
- On the Bowser's Fury page, the calico cat, seen briefly in yesterday's trailer, is pictured alongside the other cats that take on the colors of the other characters in Cat mode. Is this a new character? Does beating Bowser's Fury unlock them for play in the main game?

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Playing with randos also just feels different than playing with friends, the group dynamics are totally different especially if the game were to have a chat function of some kind like Mario Maker 2 has, so even if you intend to play mostly with friends playing with randos gives a different, uniquely worthwhile experience. Both matchmaking and play with friends should be options as they serve different use case scenarios.

There are so many potential griefing/trolling issues the game would have, and it appears save progress only registers on the host's game. So if you joined a match you may potentially gain absolutely nothing from it and you may have people constantly throwing you off the level or running out the time. Nintendo being Nintendo would want none of that, so friends only it is.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It's disappointing because I have no friends and thus will never play this game in multiplayer as it was intended... :( I've never gotten a chance to play the Wii U game locally and was going to pick this up if it supported matchmaking because the multiplayer experience would be sufficiently new for me to justify double-dipping

On the screen where they select online or local multiplayer the only option is to "play online with friends" and all the text references playing with friends. They wouldn't do that if matchmaking was an option. Playing with friends requires coordination and planning, you can't just hop on and play whenever like you can with matchmaking. Playing with randos also just feels different than playing with friends, the group dynamics are totally different especially if the game were to have a chat function of some kind like Mario Maker 2 has, so even if you intend to play mostly with friends playing with randos gives a different, uniquely worthwhile experience. Both matchmaking and play with friends should be options as they serve different use case scenarios.

That's certainly fair. That said, you have friends, dude. Everyone on this site :)

(seriously though, I'm pretty sure somebody will make a thread for people to play the game together online. You can probably check in on the Nintendo discussion thread. Hell, I'm totally in if you are interested. Send me your Friend Code.)

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Kind of annoyed there isn't more new and changed within Super Mario 3D World itself. Might wait it out and see how much content Bowser's Fury actually has before buying a copy.

SothisKrieg

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Bowser Fury have some great ideas and challenges. I would have not say no to a Luigi U like version of 3D World added but well ... Anyway i guess it will be the first 3d platformer i play with my daughter so i'm looking forward to it.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really cool but I am slightly worried by the website calling Bowser's Fury "short but action-packed"

I am just hoping that means 2-3 hours and not, like 30-60 minutes

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Sound like BotW where you have to defeat 4-5 stages to shine the light on Giga Bell and unlock it.

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
This is probably a stupid question considering this is Nintendo, but will there be an option to only purchase the DLC? I've played through this game a lot of times on the Wii U and don't wanna double dip on this.

bowser's fury looks to be short. rent the game from the library is what i would suggest.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd like to bring peoples' attention to this post over in the Nintendo thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...s-are-still-human-rights.341191/post-56191810

"[From the European site:]

Als je Furie-Bowser weet te verslaan in je kolossale kattenvorm, vliegt hij terug het water in, waardoor je nieuwe eilanden vrijspeelt. Heel lang kun je echter niet genieten van je overwinning, want hij komt terug...

TRANSLATED: If you defeat Fury Bowser in the Giga Cat Mario form, he will fly back into the water, which unlocks new islands. However, you can't enjoy this very long, because he'll be returning..."

This implies that the way to unlock new areas is to get enough Cat Shines, wait for Fury Bowser to appear, then get the Giga Bell and push him back. Rinse and repeat a few times, etc.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
LcZDVZk.jpg
cat-1-l-2x.png
cat-2-l-2x.png
cat-3-l-2x.png
cat-4-l-2x.png
cat-5-l-2x.png

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So is easy mode locked behind an amiibo purchase or is that just a convenient way to unlock what you can already do in the game?

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
I'd like to bring peoples' attention to this post over in the Nintendo thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-general-discussion-ot18-is-anyone-else's-thread-collecting-dust-trans-rights-are-still-human-rights.341191/post-56191810

"[From the European site:]

Als je Furie-Bowser weet te verslaan in je kolossale kattenvorm, vliegt hij terug het water in, waardoor je nieuwe eilanden vrijspeelt. Heel lang kun je echter niet genieten van je overwinning, want hij komt terug...

TRANSLATED: If you defeat Fury Bowser in the Giga Cat Mario form, he will fly back into the water, which unlocks new islands. However, you can't enjoy this very long, because he'll be returning..."

This implies that the way to unlock new areas is to get enough Cat Shines, wait for Fury Bowser to appear, then get the Giga Bell and push him back. Rinse and repeat a few times, etc.
So beach island, snow island, and then possibly 1-2 others means maybe 4 hours of content, so makes sense. Im guessing the last island will be Bowser themed? Maybe for a final battle