Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Exact same sentiment here. I thought the Lions would do better here given team and city culture here in Detroit, but no. Fuck the NFL

I was a little dubious about Martha Ford's "I'll donate money to your causes if you stop kneeling" statement last year (still didn't watch a game last year) but to vote in favour of this rule? Yeah, fuck that shit. Martha playing the whole "I'll throw money at the problem to make it go away" shtick.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
I find it so bizarre that you even have the national anthem played before each game....

If it was a international match (Like England vs Germany) then yeah but before every game in the national league (Like the Premier League) ???? What the fuck is that about...

What is this weird obsession with the National Anthem in the US...

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
Dan Patrick just went in on the NFL and people against the protests on his radio show. Obvious stuff but good to see nonetheless. Noted how the Players Association wasn't even brought in on the discussion, NFL is a joke.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Again. I fail to see a connection here. I'm not taking a position on his political stance nor am I saying anything regarding the NFL's new policy or their previous issues. What does their status have to do with their ability to fire an employee who's personal actions on company time directly impacted their brand in a manner they didn't like?

Because they aren't hired for their ability to stand for the national anthem, they were hired to play football. Was that in the original contract of employment they signed to have to stand?
I think now a question can be legally made that standing for the national anthem can now damage the company and the brand by those of us who deem it fascist to HAVE to stand, or else.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Player should carry a flag on a pole, knee during the Anthem but still have the flag risen and sign the anthem.

How can kneeling during the anthem while singing it and holding high the flag is not showing respect for it ?

Checkmate !

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I was a little dubious about Martha Ford's "I'll donate money to your causes if you stop kneeling" statement last year (still didn't watch a game last year) but to vote in favour of this rule? Yeah, fuck that shit. Martha playing the whole "I'll throw money at the problem to make it go away" shtick.

She's a bad owner for other reasons, but I now I'd definitely would love for her to sell.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to be devils advocate, you said it yourself: it's a game, not a political rally. What is kneeling but a political statement?

I...didn't say otherwise. What I'm saying is that if you don't want politics in football, it's hypocritical to prevent players from kneeling while you have a nationalistic ceremony front and center.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
kBBuKon.jpg

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they're so concerned about protecting white supremacy

it's almost as if they have a stake in it

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
The View's Meghan McCain erupts after Sunny Hostin calls out racial double standard on NFL protests

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017

Basically they all lied and left an out for themselves. "Well we didnt actually vote on it per sey"

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
Lol it's like when Congress blocks a vote because they don't want to be on the record for being a dipshit. Shady as hell.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

"With the intent to influence, solely on the basis of partisan political affiliation" is one of the many operative phrases in the statute.

You're not going to convince a federal judge that "complaining about people kneeling for the National Anthem" is a "partisan political affiliated" act, as the phrase would get interpreted. Even the most favorable dictionary shopping to define the phrase will have trouble pinning down complaining about a chosen protest method for police brutality is done solely for partisan political affiliation.

EDIT: For more information, using standard legislative interpretation techniques and viewing the surrounding parts of Title 18 around Section 227, these statutes seek to prohibit bribery and similar types of political corruption.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Basically they all lied and left an out for themselves. "Well we didnt actually vote on it per sey"

To be fair as was mentioned by Bill Polian, in those meetings "formal votes" aren't necessarily taken for a good deal of issues.

It's more along the lines of "Any nos? Any abstentions? Motion passes."

Looks bad but the bigger issue I believe is still the fact this wasn't collectively bargained by the owners and NFLPA.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
To that point about people trying to look at Trump or someone else breaking the law by helping influence this policy, I believe the bigger legal precedent people should be harping on is a 1943 Supreme Court decision in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, in which the court ruled that a government body could not force patriotism. Now of course there is a HUGE difference between a government body and a private business, so on its face this shouldn't apply to the NFL.

However many of these NFL teams go to cities asking for tax-payer funded subsidies to help build stadiums as well as other tax incentives through the government to operate at peak efficiency. It is in this way that I believe the NFL should be held to those standards. If they are going to accept government handouts, they must be held to government standards.

You can read more about the decision here.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To that point about people trying to look at Trump or someone else breaking the law by helping influence this policy, I believe the bigger legal precedent people should be harping on is a 1943 Supreme Court decision in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, in which the court ruled that a government body could not force patriotism. Now of course there is a HUGE difference between a government body and a private business, so on its face this shouldn't apply to the NFL.

However many of these NFL teams go to cities asking for tax-payer funded subsidies to help build stadiums as well as other tax incentives through the government to operate at peak efficiency. It is in this way that I believe the NFL should be held to those standards. If they are going to accept government handouts, they must be held to government standards.

You can read more about the decision here.

The huge difference is Constitutionally vast. The situations aren't remotely comparable, legally speaking.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair as was mentioned by Bill Polian, in those meetings "formal votes" aren't necessarily taken for a good deal of issues.

It's more along the lines of "Any nos? Any abstentions? Motion passes."

Looks bad but the bigger issue I believe is still the fact this wasn't collectively bargained by the owners and NFLPA.

Agreed but when you are the weakest union in all of professional sports then it is no surprise when the owners walk all over you.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
The huge difference is Constitutionally vast. The situations aren't remotely comparable, legally speaking.

As I brought up though there could be something to be said since the league consistently receives government handouts.

Much in the same way that private schools that receive some form of government assistance must adhere to things like Title IX. I think that would be worth exploration.

Agreed but when you are the weakest union in all of professional sports then it is no surprise when the owners walk all over you.

No doubt. Smith and the rest of the knuckleheads at the NFLPA need to get their act together because they're constantly taking Ls.