• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
What a bunch of morons running the league. Now, come week 1, this is all they are going to be talking about, and it'll never go away. Is Giuliani advising them?

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But they are having politics in the workplace by having the Anthem, having the Air Force fly jets over the stadium, and getting money from military recruitment ads. You can't say you want to remove politics but then shove it in people's faces.

For one, I don't agree that the anthem and military are inherently political.

For two, the players are permitted to remain off the field during these moments.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Godell is so god damn stupid. These racist ass owners and league couldn't just pass up another opportunity to exert their control over minorities.

While I'm 100% for and agree with the protest there is no denying that it was fizzling out. Instead of just riding it out they had to stick it to these players and remind them they ain't shit. And now the whole thing blows up again and will be covered much more than before in the media.

I'm done with the NFL man. Not going to be supporting this bigotry. They are making it obvious that they don't want people like me anyway. Fuck em.

I mean, I support the protests 100%. And then some. I sat front row on the Chiefs sideline and told Marcus Peter's this myself several times last season while other fans berated him. But - it's also a workplace, and the rules of the workplace are the rules of the workplace. I keep my political opinions and statements to myself while I'm at work. So I'm having a hard time being angry with an employer saying "no political statements while you're on the clock." That's sort of workplace etiquette 101. No politics, no religion.
I'm going to bet that your workplace isn't a platform that is viewed by millions of people a week. So you talking about politics in your workplace isn't going to do anything at all to change the dynamics. Theirs is and some of them see it as their responsibility to use that platform to raise awareness of police brutality. You can't equate the rules of your workplace. They are nothing alike.

Last edited:

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For one, I don't agree that the anthem and military are inherently political.

For two, the players are permitted to remain off the field during these moments.

You can disagree all you want but you'd be wrong. Those are displays of patriotism no different than the images of North Koreans saluting Kim Jung Un. As such, they are politicizing NFL games while forcing out players for doing the same. It's absolutely hypocritical and tangentially racist. If they want to remove politics, get rid of it all.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I get why the NFL is doing this. Obviously I support the players, but you want to cut the bleeding and satisfy the "Real Americans" who will buy all your Bud Lite. I'd try and do the same. Again, this solves nothing. NFLPA is going to have a field day too.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
And I was really hoping to go to a game this year too. Even though the Niners' owner abstained from voting, it would've been better if he flat out said no to the whole thing. Same with the Jets owner, he doesn't get a pass for saying he's not going to fine his players if he still voted on the rules. Good thing I'm going to be too busy with work this season to watch football anyway.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You can disagree all you want but you'd be wrong. Those are displays of patriotism no different than the images of North Koreans saluting Kim Jung Un. As such, they are politicizing NFL games while forcing out players for doing the same. It's absolutely hypocritical and tangentially racist. If they want to remove politics, get rid of it all.

And you can disagree with me all you like and I still say you are wrong. General support for your country is not inherently political.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And you can disagree with me all you like and I still say you are wrong. General support for your country is not inherently political.

General support? Does that include standing at attention with your hand on your heart, a military procession, and fighter jets doing a flyby, all while staring at the flag and signing a the national anthem with "Join the Marines" ads peppered everywhere and recruiters standing by? I think you should look up what political means.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
And neither is kneeling then. Neither are political. People are responding to what the flag means to them. People just don't like that it's not a "of support" show of emotion.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I'm fine with the National Anthem. I'll stand. Take my pants off. All that jazz.

There are two problems with the opposition.

1. It has nothing to do with the military.

2. Nobody likes God Bless America.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And neither is kneeling then. Neither are political. People are responding to what the flag means to them. People just don't like that it's not a "of support" show of emotion.

Except the players dont even agree with you. Their intent is to make a political statement.

Which to reiterate, I fully support. I'm with the players here.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't agree that general support for the basic tenants of our country to be overtly political in the way kneeling for the anthem is.
What you are saying is a contradiction. Support for your country is not political but not supporting your country is. You just think people should stand for the flag, basically. If you love this country you are free to shout about it but you don't keep it to yourself.
Except the players dont even agree with you. Their intent is to make a political statement.

Which to reiterate, I fully support. I'm with the players here.

Their intent is to not stand for the flag because they see problems that aren't deserving of the "support of the country" others are standing for.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
This is some fascist shit. Players need to use some good old civil disobedience. If at least one player from each team kneels every game I doubt they can keep the policy in place if teams just keep getting fined. What are they going to do, fire the whole league? This is bullshit. My soon to be father in law who is a huge football fan says he's done watching the NFL due to this.

Last edited:

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
How does one respond to my coworkers question?

He said if we ever politically stood(protested) for something political at work on work time, we would be fired. So they should be too if it's against their own workplace rules.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What you are saying is a contradiction. Support for your country is not political but not supporting your country is. You just think people should stand for the flag, basically.

No. Re-read my initial post. I dont generally stand for the anthem. But I also wouldn't be surprised if my employer asked me not to kneel while it's played because people are upset by it. But I don't work somewhere that it's played. Are you arguing that standing for the anthem is a political statement? If so, what statement is it making?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No. Re-read my initial post. I dont generally stand for the anthem. But I also wouldn't be surprised if my employer asked me not to kneel while it's played because people are upset by it. But I don't work somewhere that it's played. Are you arguing that standing for the anthem is a political statement? If so, what statement is it making?
I'm arguing at the core, that neither standing or kneeling is a political statement.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

He said if we ever politically stood(protested) for something political at work on work time, we would be fired. So they should be too if it's against their own workplace rules.

If you played football at work instead of working on your Excel worksheet, you'd be fired. Different job, different expectations. Your coworker is stupid.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
If you played football at work instead of working on your Excel worksjheet, you'd be fired. Different job, different expectations. Your coworker is stupid.

I mean, how so? Players are apparently expected to stand for the national anthem and are "protesting" during work.

He's not going to take your answer man, I need some good shit lol

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, how so? Players are apparently expected to stand for the national anthem and are "protesting" during work.

Players are expected to play. Having to stand for the Anthem is a relatively new thing, and the players have a union that they didn't even bother discussing this with. This new ruling may not even be legal depending on the collective bargaining agreement.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm arguing at the core, that neither standing or kneeling is a political statement.

I can very much see your point. However, I don't see supporting the basic tenants of our country to be political. It's simply who we are. Somehow we've allowed the Republicans to hijack support for our country as a political statement. In fact, I believe supporting my country means being anti oppression and injustice. To me, that's not a political position. That's who we are (or should be) as human beings.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah just find another way to protest while standing for the anthem. Wear a BLM bandana or something.

I was talking to some girl at work about this. She's a Texan, and was outraged that players would disrespect the troops. I told her this doesn't have anything to do with the troops and just had to do with police brutality against blacks. Her face turned beet red and kept going off about the troops. I think these people are just a lost cause =(

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would argue that choosing to now no longer be present for the anthem is itself sending a message. The NFL clearly doesn't get it. Now instead of standing vs kneeling it's gonna be who's on the field and who isn't.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man

I beleive the kneeling isn't interfering with the actual playing of football, yes? Like they are kneeling before the actual game, they are not doing it any other time.

Also, do they play the national anthem at your work, lol.

I don't see the two being comparable, but I may be wrong.

Deleted member 134

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how this fascist bullshit is about the troops at all. Disgusting how people are so easily brainwashed to believe that nonsense.

Vautrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What? If players started catching the ball and stopped running in protest or purposely missed field goals, then sure...

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I can very much see your point. However, I don't see supporting the basic tenants of our country to be political. It's simply who we are. Somehow we've allowed the Republicans to hijack support for our country as a political statement. In fact, I believe supporting my country means being anti oppression and injustice. To me, that's not a political position. That's who we are (or should be) as human beings.
Well, they see not supporting their country as being anti oppression and injustice. Neither yours our their stance is necessarily correct or incorrect, but only one side is being stopped from expressing themselves.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't see how this fascist bullshit is about the troops at all. Disgusting how people are so easily brainwashed to believe that nonsense.
It's America. We are taught as school children to stand for the flag, honor the country, never question it. To do so would not only be wrong, but ungodly.

So people don't really give it much thought and their default reaction is to take offense to anybody not honoring the country. Throw in the fact that this movement is spearheaded by Black people, and there we have it.

Hell I was the same way. There was a time that if I saw somebody burn a flag it made me unreasonably angry and mad. But back then I never really cared to think about it.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Now instead of talking about who is kneeling and attacking them for it, people will talk about who isn't on the sidelines and attack them for staying in the locker room. I don't think the NFL has quieted the issue like they think they have. I hope some players stay in the locker room or entire teams do AND some still kneel.

necrosis

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now instead of talking about who is kneeling and attacking them for it, people will talk about who isn't on the sidelines and attack them for staying in the locker room. I don't think the NFL has quieted the issue like they think they have. I hope some players stay in the locker room or entire teams do AND some still kneel.

i hope this provokes entire teams into dodging the anthem

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
I beleive the kneeling isn't interfering with the actual playing of football, yes? Like they are kneeling before the actual game, they are not doing it any other time.

Also, do they play the national anthem at your work, lol.

I don't see the two being comparable, but I may be wrong.

This is an important point. For anyone who is saying "if you protested at work you'd get fired" - what if every workplace played the national anthem at the beginning of the day, and if you didn't stand and salute you'd be fined? And everyone was watching everyone else, so you'd definitely be caught if you didn't stand. Would you be OK with that? Maybe yes, maybe no. Then add to this that there are no other companies where you could do your job, so if you decided to leave because you felt like the rule was unfair then you couldn't find any other comparable work.

RabidDwarf76

Oct 27, 2017

If an employee made a plolitical statement/action, without the aproval of the employer, on company time and company property and the results of their action directly affected the work environment, brand image, and/or revenue the company would have grounds for terminating their employment. That is how almost every company operates.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
How about we don't play the national anthem before games? It's weird and nationalistic.
It would be interesting to see how the "I just want to watch football without things being all political" would react. I mean, I know they would totally prove it was never actually about that by being pissed and threatening boycotts "cuz they took our anthem!" but I'd love to see it.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
If an employee made a plolitical statement/action, without the aproval of the employer, on company time and company property and the results of their action directly affected the work environment, brand image, and/or revenue the company would have grounds for terminating their employment. That is how almost every company operates.

Oh, this is good.

Thanks guys!

Also I hope no one goes out for the anthem anymore. I don't think the national anthem needs to be played for every damn game.

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone suggesting that the players use another form of protest instead of kneeling are ignoring that all other forms of demonstration are now outlawed during the anthem because now players are either forced to show respect for the anthem and the flag per the new rule handed down by the NFL or stay in the locker room.