MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Everything they've shown has been visually stunning, but I fear the plot/cut-scenes are going to be overly long and decadent. I hope that's not the case, but Kojima and Refn together is making me worried.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everything they've shown has been visually stunning, but I fear the plot/cut-scenes are going to be overly long and decadent. I hope that's not the case, but Kojima and Refn together is making me worried.

It's Kojima, i'll be disappointed if the cutscenes aren't long and decadant.

At least it looks to have a greater emphasis on narrative than Phantom Pain.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I can actually hear what's being said I love the scene, but I'm getting some major Silent Hill 3 vibes from it.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Screenshot_20190727_073315_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Psycho Mantis?

And there's more than one figure. Top left of that figure you see another pair of feet.

Hmmmmmmmmmm

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's remarkable how refreshing it is to just have some simple shot/reverse shot stuff and conversations with a natural flow after MGSV's one-shot gimmick made you wait for the camera to laboriously swing around between each characters' lines. Also really nice to have a protagonist who talks again :P

I'm into it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Heartman is such a hilariously Kojima character but that's cool. I'd fucking love to have character just talking about movies again.

Also his story sounds super interesting. If that's why he's called Heartman than I can't wait to find about why Die-Hardman has that name.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Honestly some modern games already beat MGS4. Try to play for some hours AC Odyssey, there's a cutscene every five minutes of "gameplay", and they are way too long and uninteresting too.
I am sorry honey but couldn't care less about playing ubisoft games i rather look for blank wall than playing those games.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Regardless of the quality of the final product, the marketing for this game deserves an award for sure

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Man I just hope we don't need to get to the very end of the game just to find out what the hell is going on (and then still not really know because everything is vague as hell and open to interpretation).

Now, I know that's what the game IS going to be like, but I desperately hope we at least get the foundation of this world early on, since the characters obviously know what's going on, so we should too. If I'm half way through and still don't know have any idea what it's all about I'll be pissed.

Scuttlefluff

Oct 28, 2017
Yup that is what's interesting lol.

Really curious why this dude decided to trap himself in this loop.

If I'm reading it right, he doesn't have much of a choice? His heart condition kills him every 21 minutes, and he lost his family to the other side and so uses his 3minutes before becoming brain damaged to search for them?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm reading it right, he doesn't have much of a choice? His heart condition kills him every 21 minutes, and he lost his family to the other side and so uses his 3minutes before becoming brain damaged to search for them?

Oh dang, did I really miss all of these details in that short video? haha. Thanks for the explanation.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Honestly some modern games already beat MGS4. Try to play for some hours AC Odyssey, there's a cutscene every five minutes of "gameplay", and they are way too long and uninteresting too.
I don't want to dunk on it too hard, but God how is it that every Assassin's Creed cutscene is simultaneously tied for the most boring piece of media ever made by a human.

I think I was spoiled growing up with Katamari, MGS, and Suda51 games which have ruined all future AAA cutscenes for me.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Small tidbit (provided the game has that tech right):

I like the accuracy in depicting the model and verbal notifications pertaining to the Automated External Defibrillator (AED).

In modern hollywood accepted inaccuracies (like sound in space) AEDs are shown to revive patients who have succumbed to flatline or asystole i.e. complete lack of electrical activity. The truth, however, is that AEDs only work on people whose hearts, subsequent to a cardiac arrest, go into Ventricular Fibrillation (where heart pumping action changes to softer flutters which lack the power to pump blood) or into Ventricular Tachycardia (where the pulse goes above 180 bpm which is too fast for the chambers of the heart to fill with blood to then be pumped subsequently).

The AED essentially stops the heart for the natural mechanism for heart functions to restart.

So, Heartman is not technically 'dead' but rather at the precipice of it.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I don't want to dunk on it too hard, but God how is it that every Assassin's Creed cutscene is simultaneously tied for the most boring piece of media ever made by a human.

I think I was spoiled growing up with Katamari, MGS, and Suda51 games which have ruined all future AAA cutscenes for me.
Same for me, but at least before Odyssey I don't remember so many cutscenes every two minutes of gameplay.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of the quality of the final product, the marketing for this game deserves an award for sure

How so? In terms of the trailers themselves, Kojima/Kojima Productions have always had a knack for making/editing together trailers that are interesting. And Death Stranding only cements Kojima as a man with good taste in music. If anything, the real lack of gameplay and/or explanation as to what the means/ends of this game really are, have been incredibly disappointing, not to mention the fact that a lot of attention has been placed on the actors/actresses Kojima has managed to get in on this game; as someone who barely watches any movies or TV nowadays, I couldn't give less of a shit about who the VA's are. At the end of the day, they're a voice and an avatar for the fictional characters presented - DS isn't going to get any higher a score (not from me anyway) just because so-and-so is in it.

Marketing is never simply a case of how much you do of it, it's what you present and how you present it, that's important.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
That soundtrack :o

I hope the game has good non-original songs, like mgsv. We know Kojima loves music

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for a Kojima game this plot-heavy and self-indulgent since MGS4, and I don't think it's going to dissapoint in that regard.

Metal Gear Zero theory lives on.
That's nothing but a theory born from a desperation for everything to be connected, that is going nowhere. That white figure is a sculplt of a BT (Beached Thing), a creature that exists only in Death Stranding.

If that's why he's called Heartman than I can't wait to find about why Die-Hardman has that name.
I'm guessing it's something to do with him being hard to kill.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Had no idea these select characters are being voiced by uncredited actors. Seems really dumb to just have recognisable faces in the game for no reason other than they're Kojima's friends, but whatever I guess

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
There is something so damn chilling about this game. First the soldier that drops his gun and starts stabbing himself in chest as an attempt to take his own life (as if whatever is happening to him will be far worse than death). Then we have this character, where life is just an intermission between deaths.
I have a feeling this game is going to be really unpleasant to play.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
lol this game has exactly what I'm looking for from Kojima game, quirky weirdness plot :)

Talking animation is a little stiff, but nothing too distracting.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Graphics are amazing but everything looks like its made of wax imo, the clothes and the people.

Hyped to just experience this though.