Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I enjoyed Extraction and The Platform. They still weren't in the same league as the Irishman and Marriage Story which are probably the only high quality originals they've done.

OP
OP
Kinthey

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix's original content is so painfully mediocre, outside of some notables like Irishman. I can't understand how with all their billions they can't just hire some top writing and directorial talent and give them the time they need.

I feel like they're a bit unlucky as well. I mean I was so certain that Gareth Edwards would deliver something amazing with 'Apostle' and then it was kind of meh. Then he follows that up with Gangs of London for Sky and it's awesome. I wonder how agressive they are when they're picking up movies. Do they outbid other studios or do they pickup what everyone else doesn't really want? Like how come they got Bong Joon-ho's Okja but not Parasite

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Actually surprised The Platform made it in the Top 10. And I dug Extraction. Well shot action movie. Doesn't bring anything special or new to the table, but I was entertained for the most part.

Think some of these like Platform are getting covid boosts, folks stuck at home looking to watch anything new. Lot of the newer releases are charting.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
The mark Wahlberg one at no.3? Wow ok.

I watched it and thought nothing special of it and viewed it as a low budget feeling, average movie. Nothing too bad or good. Worth a watch but forgotten soon after. The hdr in it was nice tho. Guess marky mark has some serious pulling power still. Good for him.

Glad to see extraction ranking so damn high, had some of the best action set pieces last year and was only bested by top tier stuff like JW3.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
64m views for the Irishman would have translated into non-flop money at the cinemas - not it would have pulled anywhere near those numbers.

It's weird that they have so many high profile names under their banner but are not managing to nail quality at all. That being said I didn't watch a lot of those movies. For most I have never even seen a trailer.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
so if extraction got so many viewers why don't they just fund the raid 3? they already worked with the director before, just give him the money

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Coincidentally just gave Extraction a watch yesterday. It didn't quite hit the mark, where it fell somewhere in between being too gory to be 80s Schwarzenegger like action, too nihilistic to be a suspenseful thriller. But I appreciated it more than John Wick 3 frankly. That 30 minute semi-one take action shot was really something to behold.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of bad films on that list, but even with that said, 6 Underground is absolute fucking garbage.

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bird box and Extraction probably would have made big box office money. Don't get why they won't do more cinema releases or home video. Sounds like easy money.

bryehn

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa
My favorite from this list (that I've seen) is Murder Mystery. lol

It was okay, but that product placement (Amazon, allergy pills, etc) was Hawaii 5-0 Subway level haha

Wrong Missy was so bad I turned it off after 25 minutes.

CGI car chases in Extraction were weird, but it was a solid straight-to-video action movie

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
this list isn't surprising at all. most of these were front page/trending netflix movies that show up immediately when you turn on the app. it's basically top 40 radio, not that it's a bad thing but most people don't bother with anything you have to search for.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Bright isn't here and that Irishman is.

Not surprised at Extraction, they pushed it so hard.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Bird box and Extraction probably would have made big box office money. Don't get why they won't do more cinema releases or home video. Sounds like easy money.

bird box yeah maybe extraction was beneficiary to quarantine "okay why not watch this bullshit?" mentality

even bird box though i think nobody particularly wants to get their ass off the couch and spend $15+ to see it. i think it's the new paradigm we'll see theaters get the super hero extravaganzas and mostly not much else

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like they shouldn't count this if you watched less than like 60 minutes... it's a movie... you didn't even like it if you watched less than that

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Full list:

Extraction 99M

Bird Box 89M

Spenser Confidential 85M

6 Underground 83M

Murder Mystery 73M

The Irishman 64M

Triple Frontier 63M

The Wrong Missy 59M

The Platform 56M

The Perfect Date 48M

deadline.com

Netflix Releases All-Time Top 10 Original Movie List, Headed By ‘Extraction’

"Extraction" is the top original movie ever released by Netflix, with a company-reported 99 million viewers in its first four weeks.

Keep in mind that this is calculated with their new metric where watching a movie for two minutes counts as a view.

Not too many surprises but I expected the Sandler movies to pull more.
This is number of views, and views could be only 2m at minimum? ....these seem like lower numbers, or am I way off?

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
That list makes Netflix original film output seem worse than it actually is.

There are plenty of quality Netflix originals that are not on that list:
Marriage Story
The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected)
The Other Side of the Wind
Da 5 Bloods
Roma
Okja
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Private Life
Atlantics
Klaus
I Lost My Body
First They Killed My Father
Mudbound
Beasts of No Nation
22 July
The King
Dolemite Is My Name
Happy As Lazarro (Americas only)
On Body and Soul (Americas only)
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon (Americas only)
Girl (Americas only)
Uncut Gems (outside US only)
Annihilation (outside US/Canada only)
Blade of the Immortal (selected territories)

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I've never watched any of those.

6 Underground is the only one I can even remember hearing of.

May 24, 2019
I enjoyed Extraction and The Platform. They still weren't in the same league as the Irishman and Marriage Story which are probably the only high quality originals they've done.

Here are others I've seen that I'd consider as high quality as movies come.
Beasts of No Nation, I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Okja, Mudbound, Meyerowitz Stories, Roma, Ballad of Buster Scruggs, The Other Side of the Wind, High Flying Bird, Paddleton, Dolemite is My Name, Da 5 Bloods

Oct 27, 2017
I have heard of 2 of those

Netflix original content is so bottom barrel at this point it's embarassing
Hey, when did we go back to 2015.

People who still spout this ignorance always amuse me. Netflix's original content shits all over anything Disney + and the other streaming services offer. Only other two that are in the same league are HBO Max and Prime.

The Irishman, Marriage Story, Two Popes, Dolemite, Uncut Gems, The Platform have all been released in the past year or so. If people don't watch them as much as more generic stuff, it's their fault.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I forgot about Beasts, Da 5 Bloods, and Okja completely. I loved all of those too, so I guess I was wrong. Need to see Meyerowitz too. I couldn't get into Dolemite but I wanted to like it.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
This list is telling of the issues Netlix will have in the USA going forward imo. They need to step their game up with original content, desperately.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Say what you want about 6 Underground, but it was the absolute perfect first movie for my new LG C9 HDR 4K OLED TV.
It's a technical benchmark with his Dolby Vision HDR and all the super clean, super sharp slow motion scenes in 4K.
And it has Mélanie Laurent.

Last edited:

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
The platform was great. Awful ending though.

The Wrong Missy was hilarious

KillingJoke

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are tons of mediocre action movies coming out each year similar to Extraction that do horrible at the BO. I don't see any plausible reason to think Extraction would do better.

There's tons of mediocre action movies on Netflix too but no where near 99m views. Clearly this movie had a big interest. It's easy to use covid as an excuse but it's not like there isn't a flood of shit to watch. Plus the budget was cheap, wouldn't have been hard to make a nice profit.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
bird box just went big because of manufactured memes
It would have had maybe a medium opening for the genre and completely fizzled out afterwards. It's hollow as fuck.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Bird Box was trash, and The Irishman was so long and boring that I just gave up on it 2 hours in.