• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Good for Rian, but I do feel that Netflix usually spells death for movies.

I hope this doesn't ruin any chances of it being in cinemas and for having a physical release.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does he even really need to bother with Star Wars any more? I kinda get the feeling he can just say "been there, done that" and do better work elsewhere. I wouldn't want him to waste, like, a decade of his life working with a franchise that wouldn't give him the kind of creative freedom it did last time.

Says who?

This is from the press release:
As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

"We all loved working with Rian on The Last Jedi," said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. "He's a creative force, and watching him craft The Last Jedi from start to finish was one of the great joys of my career. Rian will do amazing things with the blank canvas of this new trilogy."

And if he still wants to do it, why not let him?

bishopp135

Oct 29, 2017
These movies are also tapping on that mid budget level dramedy that do not get produced anymore. This can become an IP that targets an older audience and since actors seem to love being in these types of movies, it is possible to make event type movies with the greatest stars available while at the same only needing Rian and Daniel Craig's accent to create a cohesive universe. Even if the price is high, as an investment it seems like a safe bet.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
He's fucked up his body so many times doing Bond, and the press tour for that kind of franchise must just fucking suck. A Knives Out trilogy is prob a cake walk by comparison.

Yeah these movies are a working holiday compared to what he goes through on a Bond movie.

Spend a few weeks in Greece and get to ham it up with a famous cast

I'd be chuffed.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
The first one has that little extra oomph being a murder mystery involving a murder mystery author and being this very specific reintroduction of a bygone genre film. It'll be hard to catch that same kinda lightning again another 2 times in a row, but Knives Out was far and away my favorite film of 2019 and I'm happy to see RJ get the chance to try again with a no-holds-barred budget to boot. Craig's also easily got the chops to carry this series.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
Happy for Rian, I loved Knives Out.

Guess this means no Star Wars trilogy for him for a long time.. While I didn't like a lot of TLJ, I did feel that maybe a new story where he wasn't constrained by existing characters and storylines might have been interesting.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's kind of a blow to cinema. The first Knives Out was one of the biggest midbudget non-franchise hits in theaters in a long time.

Is this an admission that anything that's non-superhero has no future outside of streaming?

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Beyond being happy that more Knives Out is happening since I loved the first movie, I'm mostly just really curious to see what sort of directions they go in for other sequels, particularly with how active Blanc is or isn't. For as much as his odd personality helped to set the tone for a lot of the first movie's style, Blanc as a character was largely very passive as far as actually driving the plot forward (the character even seems to admit as much as far as his investigative style goes), and if that continues with mysteries unfolding around Blanc rather than us following his process of solving the case, keeping the scenarios fresh and distinct from each other will be a challenge.

The first movie already touched on a lot of common mystery themes: family squabble, the question of inheriting wealth vs. earning it, following a crime investigation from the perspective of the "criminal," houses with secret passages complete with "Clue" references, a character with a physical impediment to lying being forced to do so...they're going to have a hell of a time continuing with the theme of subverting a mystery while avoiding any thematic overlap.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
That's kind of a blow to cinema. The first Knives Out was one of the biggest midbudget non-franchise hits in theaters in a long time.

Is this an admission that anything that's non-superhero has no future outside of streaming?
Uhh no. More that Netflix is desperate for good creators and IPs, and is willing to pony up the big bucks.

Blue Beetle

Mar 26, 2021
I loved this movie, really glad it's getting sequels. Whodunits are some of my favorite movies, especially on the rewatch.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Absolutely adored Knives Out. This is great and I'd rather Rian focus on this and new stuff than be stuck with what Star Wars is now.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
D&D signed a Netflix deal worth $200 million.

Shonda Rhimes signed a Netflix deal worth $150 million.

JJ Abrams signed a HBO deal worth $250 million.

I can see why Netflix would want to snag content like this. I just don't see why they'd want to shell out half a billion for these particular sequels, of all things they can try to snag.
Those prices don't include actual production costs for the shows though so it's apples to oranges.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I really hope the continuation is just a full new story the first movie closes so well.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rian might be having problems getting a script approved by Lucasfilm new alt-right review board that they formed for TROS.
They'll never admit it, but I really would like to be a fly on the wall to see if those at Lucasfilm that reacted to The Last Jedi with what we got in ROS had a

gob_bluth.0.jpg

moment.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap at $450 million for the next two films though. RJ being extremely smart at business keeping all the rights and using his own company to produce on a film by film basis. He could triple the first film's $40 million budget for both sequels and still have $210 million left over.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
This is my problem with doing a sequel for this film. Ana De Armas was one of the best thing about the movie aside from Daniel Craig, and doing a sequel means she won't be in it.
I pretty much think Ana De Armas made the whole film. It was good, but it really hinged on her bringing it altogether. The film itself is clever and fun so I guess I'd like to see more of it, though I don't think it needed sequels.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely LOVED the first movie, so can't wait for the sequels.

Lotto

Oct 28, 2017
Earth
i wonder how they're gonna do the naming on this to keep the franchise together. 'knives out' was very much a singular title/one-off but i suppose they could tack on 'benoit blanc's knives out' or something similar to keep consistency and togetherness of it all.

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
Thought the first movie was great.
But I have my suspicions about this guy. I don't like how he seems to have a limit on black characters per movie. And they're also somehow relegated to tertiary roles.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
At the end of the third one, Craig's last line : The names Blanc, Benoit Blanc, Benoit Blanc Skywalker.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Then why take away the biggest hit that wasn't a damn superhero movie?
Netflix is paying for two more KO movies. How are they taking it away? If anything, this shows filmmakers you can get a big pay day by making mid budget movies if they are clever and well received. Did Netflix take away Marriage Story by releasing it on their platform? I would say they exposed a massive audience to it.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
i wonder how they're gonna do the naming on this to keep the franchise together. 'knives out' was very much a singular title/one-off but i suppose they could tack on 'benoit blanc's knives out' or something similar to keep consistency and togetherness of it all.

They'll probably do "Movie title: A Benoit Blanc story"

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Episode 4: Knives out
Episode 5: Ransom strikes back
Episode 6: Return of the Immigrant

El_Mau

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys are obsessed with star wars.

Good for him, the first one was amazing, too bad Ana de Armas won't be part of the sequel

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
D&D signed a Netflix deal worth $200 million.

Shonda Rhimes signed a Netflix deal worth $150 million.

JJ Abrams signed a HBO deal worth $250 million.

I can see why Netflix would want to snag content like this. I just don't see why they'd want to shell out half a billion for these particular sequels, of all things they can try to snag.

Because Knives Out is a known property. Rather than their usual gamble *will this show about competitive checkers in a post-apocalyptic teen drama be successful?*, Knives out 2 and 3 are pretty well guaranteed to do good numbers for them.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
While I enjoyed Knives Out..is it really worth $450 million for 2 x 2.5 hr movies?

I mean, you could fund 11 seasons of Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones or Luke Cage for the same money. ..providing around 140 hrs of new content.
Tbf I don't think most audiences even finished the existing hours of The Punisher, Jessica Jones or Luke Cage already on the platform.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems strange to shell out that much for those 2 movies. The first made 311 million at the world wide box office. Does Netflix see it as an IP that will get decent sub numbers or an ability to retain? Seems foolish IMO. But I guess Netflix has its reasons.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I have to assume that next movie will be even worse with how I though it was supposed to come out forever ago and its just sat completed for some reason.
at this point they're probably wondering if they can CGI-swap armie hammer out and replace him with some other actor and get away with it

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
This is awesome. I love steaming platforms getting the rights to movies so we can watch it at home on day 1.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
It will be interesting to see the films, I'm sure they will be fun. That said, in all honesty, I found Craig's character to be the least interesting character in Knives. That movie belonged to Ana De Armas and the rest of the "family". Craig was just kinda there with the bad accent... (shrugs)

But I'm sure Johnson will write another fun caper with a new cast.

Last edited:

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
I know the movie was a success and i enjoyed it but just the rights for those 2 sequels without the budgets included cannot be worth 450mil,first movie did just over 300mil,that price seeems absurd to me.