• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of hope that each part is completely self-contained, like Colombo or something, but nothing is made that way anymore.

If the goal here is to create a Poirot style character, I see no reason why it can't be a new case each film that has little to do with the previous film (much like the books)

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
If they open in cinemas around me, I'd love to see them there as well. Great movie.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Two sequels??
Is it based off of a book?

It's kind of a complete story. What more needed to be said about those characters?

Knives Out was really good but I just don't see the point of a sequel... but whatever if it's as good as the first, I'm in.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping it's similar to Fargo where there may be a character that re-appears, but the only connective fiber is the universe itself.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If Knives Out 3 happens immediately after Knives Out 2, RJ SW trilogy aint happening.
Should be of note that while are a ways off from his SW trilogy, he was only set to write and direct the first one

www.starwars.com

Rian Johnson, Writer-Director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi, to Create All-New Star Wars Trilogy | StarWars.com

For director Rian Johnson, Star Wars: The Last Jedi was just the beginning of his journey in a galaxy far, far away.

Lucasfilm is excited to announce that Johnson will create a brand-new Star Wars trilogy, the first of which he is also set to write and direct, with longtime collaborator Ram Bergman onboard to produce.

Before anyone freaks out about "Ugh why doesn't he stay on for all of them so they dont have the issues of ST?!" He's probably still on all 3 leading the story.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I kind of hope that each part is completely self-contained, like Colombo or something, but nothing is made that way anymore.

Yep. I remember enjoying the first season of Stranger Things, foolishly believing it was going to be an anthology show. But nope, they've stretched the story out over multiple seasons. I know plenty of people love it, but I think the first season remains the best.

Gonna foolishly hope Knives Out 2 and 3 are standalone stories...

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Two sequels??

It's kind of a complete story. What more needed to be said about those characters?

Knives Out was really good but I just don't see the point of a sequel... but whatever if it's as good as the first, I'm in.

New mysteries and new casts with Craig returning. It's a fairly common mystery format.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Two sequels??

so you really think Benoit Blanc is done for? there is nothing more for him in life??

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I didn't even know 3 was greenlighted. They definitely should be self-contained and hope that they are not called Knives Out 2 and 3.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Y'all, Rian has already said (and indeed that article reiterates) that these are Agatha Christie-style stories: the only connection between them is Daniel Craig's detective. Completely new stories each time.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
With that budget I expect these movies to be set in space!

loved the first instalment, really looking forward to see what Rian Johnson cooks up for the sequels.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Is RJ really doing another SW film? I get the feeling both Lucasfilm and him are both saving face a bit.

TBH after the madness surrounding TLJ I'd take that Netflix payday happily over anything SW.

Now I wait for someone to post that why not both gif :p

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
source.gif

obligatory

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
i have to imagine there's more to the deal than just those two movies otherwise Netflix just seems desparate. Maybe the number is due to a bidding war with Amazon? Either way netflix is turning the movie industry into Silicon Valley with overvaluing properties to a point where the numbers don't back it up.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Rian getting paid. Bring on the Benoit Blanc Cinematic Universe.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Ah so like a quasi Anthology then, and only Daniel Craig's character returning?

Guess that's ok. I thought it was going to have to do with that horrible family again.
the whole schtick with mystery series is usually a single detective going from case to case, ensemble to ensemble

sherlock holmes, hercule poirot, miss marple, etc., they each have lots and lots of mysteries and only have maybe 2-3 reoccurring characters with everyone else being involved in the mystery

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Is RJ really doing another SW film? I get the feeling both Lucasfilm and him are both saving face a bit.

TBH after the madness surrounding TLJ I'd take that Netflix payday happily over anything SW.

If we don't hear anything about him working on it after 2, I think it's just all of them saving face.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

Seems like Disney already has some other SW projects lined up before they start a new 'trilogy' (Taika's movie, Rogue Squadron, Fiege's project) - so it's entirely possible RJ films these two movies back-to-back, then is onto Star Wars.

Still, I doubt we see a whiff of his trilogy until 2025.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I liked knives out but that is insane, gotta be some production deal behind it as a sort of payment up front for right of next deal or something. The Irishmen was self indulgent as hell and only cost $160m

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Craig isn't part of the producing team that owns the franchise alongside Johnson and Bergman.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
i have to imagine there's more to the deal than just those two movies otherwise Netflix just seems desparate. Maybe the number is due to a bidding war with Amazon? Either way netflix is turning the movie industry into Silicon Valley with overvaluing properties to a point where the numbers don't back it up.

Sources said the deal will be worth north of $400 million, making it one of the biggest streamer movie deals in history.

A sequel was expected, but the recent discreet auction that went on between three streamers — Apple and Amazon were the others — was a surprise.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
GOT DAMN! I'm thrilled to see a confirmation for another one too though!

That price sounds like it would have to include production costs as well though.. it can't just be an acquisition fee, right? Is its producer still doing it independent of the Netflix money (theoretically)?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Should probably avoid using the word "sequel", since they're most likely to be completely unrelated to the first film except for the main character. I'm perfectly okay with a Benoit Blanc anthology of different cases.

Now, about this deal... is this purely regarding the streaming rights to the movies? Or full production and distribution and all that? Because Netflix has a habit of NOT releasing their properties on disc, and I've got the first film on UHD.. I'd hate for the new films to be stuck streaming-only.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Knives Out's global BO total was $311M. Putting each sequel's valuation at $225M is arguably an undervaluation, considering they get wholesale rights.

Netflix knows if they want to stay competitive in the era of studio-owned streaming services that launch with day-one blockbusters - they need blockbusters of their own.