• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Concentration camps are bad. Mass executions of families are bad. Enough genocides have happened in the 20th century that we've learned they're not just perpetuated by evil governments or hateful people, they're enabled by complacent populations who turn a blind eye or are chiefly concerned with their own self-preservation. I've had family killed because of genocide a hundred years ago, but my argument isn't predicated not that history.

It's crystal clear that people care more that nukes aren't pointed at them anymore than they are concerned about people being rounded up and executed elsewhere, even though there was never any serious threat those nukes would be launched while those gulags are very, very real.

What country are you from?

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Like who in this thread that thinks North Korean prison camps are disgusting do you think doesn't agree with what you're saying? Why does it have to be a comparison? Why does their suffering have to matter less? I don't get what point you think you're making other than making a topic entirely about something it's not actually about.

Do you even know what you're just saying? Because the population of North Korea isn't allowed to have an opinion on how they are treated. Expressing dissent is one of the things that gets you killed or sent to a camp where you might be lucky enough to be one of the people who only has to walk by the hanged bodies every day and throws rocks at their decaying corpses while cursing them for defying the great leader, so the guards don't hang or shoot you too.

This isn't a poll about a country asking the citizens how they feel about how they "deal" with those citizens. This is a poll about how the population of South Korea, an entirely different country, feels about Kim.

This is a thread about South Korea. I have been consistently talking about the criticizing leveled against South Korea.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
On the one hand, he authorized heinous executions, assassinations and condemned political rivals and their families to brutal prison camps.
On the other hand, he's still leagues better than his predecessors, likes K-Pop... and is oh-so cuddly.

Trusting someone, liking someone, and thinking someone is a good person are three VERY different things.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Americans have any grounds to condemn or criticize a country's prison situation when the system is set up as a Pipeline from Schools to Prison...im just saying its a bit hypocritical.
America's criminal justice system is irredeemably horrific but this has to be one of the craziest posts I have ever seen on Era.

I said goddamn

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Im just sayin'

If the population of the country is okay with how they deal with their own citizens. Do you have a right to not only critisize their government but the majority of the people there as well? Especially when places like America aren't any better and in some cases are actually worse?

Kanye is that you?
The people must be okay with it right?
Sure they can just step out and say: "Hey kim, we the population don't like your dictatorship and regime. Stop this okay!!"

----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea
Government : Unitary one-party Juche state Songun policy (de jure) under a totalitarian dictatorship(de facto)

Seems like you might want to read and research more if you're going to make comparisons

Feb 3, 2018
Hmmm but if the majority of the people that live their see no problem with it. And no direct conflict with their morals. Do you really have a place to judge them if you don't live among them? Or (As far as I know) if you're on the outside looking in to that culture/climate?

Im just sayin'

If the population of the country is okay with how they deal with their own citizens. Do you have a right to not only critisize their government but the majority of the people there as well? Especially when places like America aren't any better and in some cases are actually worse?

I don't think the united states locks up infants and have them starve in work camps, no matter how messed up the for profit prison system is and I agree it's messed up and needed to be reformed yesterday.

The horror stories from defectors over the last two decades have been similar, if you do anything that challenges the regime not only you will be punished but they will punish three generations kids have been born inside of those work camps.

So comparing what is essentially concentration camps in North Korea with the prison system in the US is the mother of false equivalences, and don't get me wrong I am against for profit prisons but let's not say it's worse than people being worked to death with hardly any food in their bellies, that are tortured by guards in the most brutal fashion.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
This is a thread about South Korea. I have been consistently talking about the criticizing leveled against South Korea.

I mean, you're not actually talking very much about South Korea at all looking at your posts as a whole.

But most of the criticisms here are about how the North Korean citizens are treated. So to say "If the population of the country is okay with how they deal with their own citizens" doesn't really make sense when what's being discussed is how the South Koreans feel about the treatment of North Koreans by the North Korean leader.

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I don't think the united states locks up infants and have them starve in work camps, no matter how messed up the for profit prison system is and I agree it's messed up and needed to be reformed yesterday.

The horror stories from defectors over the last two decades have been similar, if you do anything that challenges the regime not only you will be punished but they will punish three generations kids have been born inside of those work camps.

So comparing what is essentially concentration camps in North Korea with the prison system in the US is the mother of false equivalences, and don't get me wrong I am against for profit prisons but let's not say it's worse than people being worked to death with hardly any food in their bellies.

Have you been to a Fed Prison?

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
America's criminal justice system is irredeemably horrific but this has to be one of the craziest posts I have ever seen on Era.

I said goddamn

He isn't really wrong, though. A bit hyperbolic perhaps, especially in comparison to NK, but the pipeline most definitely exists, especially in rural schools. Black kids are treated like criminals for minor infractions, and the idea of being institutionalized is instilled within the authority of the staff itself, which passes on to the students. America is built on classism.

Genuinely though, these are two different issues entirely, despite how major each may be. I believe T'Challa Shakur is angry, as he or she should be, but this is a very different topic of discussion.

T'Challa Shakur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Derail
Kanye is that you?
The people must be okay with it right?
Sure they can just step out and say: "Hey kim, we the population don't like your dictatorship and regime. Stop this okay!!"

----

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea
Government : Unitary one-party Juche state Songun policy (de jure) under a totalitarian dictatorship(de facto)

Seems like you might want to read and research more if you're going to make comparisons

Im saying that Americans have no ground to stand on because they have yet to deal with issues such as Systemic Racism, The Prison industrial complex and reparations for Slavery and you just compared me to Kanye "Slavery Was a choice" West....

Im guessing a Blacks sound a like and look a like to you eh?

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
No, it's not. "Whataboutism" is the most misused political term of the 21st century.

If people are talking about withholding peace on the condition of internal human rights improvements then they should have to reckon with the fact that these demands are only made of weak countries, while powerful ones continue similar crimes unabated. It's hypocrisy.

"People" being the politicians in powerful countries doing the demanding? Then yes, you're right. I'm referring to people like the ones in this thread who are criticizing DPRK gulags while presumably living in the US. Also, whataboutism is just slang for the old tu quoque, which has been a favorite of dictators and their bootlickers throughout the 21st century, so I'm not sure how it's misused?

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
He isn't really wrong, though. A bit hyperbolic perhaps, especially in comparison to NK, but the pipeline most definitely exists, especially in rural schools. Black kids are treated like criminals for minor infractions, and the idea of being institutionalized is instilled within the authority of the staff itself, which passes on to the students. America is built on classism.

Genuinely though, these are two different issues entirely, despite how major each may be. I believe T'Challa Shakur is angry, as he or she should be, but this is a very different topic of discussion.

It's almost like it's a deliberate thread derail from someone with totally sincere motives as illustrated by the consistent logic and progression of their arguments.

Im saying that Americans have no ground to stand on because they have yet to deal with issues such as Systemic Racism, The Prison industrial complex and reparations for Slavery and you just compared me to Kanye "Slavery Was a choice" West....

See? Totally sincere.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't say he was wrong about that so don't twist my words. I acknowledged that the CJS in America is vile. Believe me, I've seen that shit first hand - you don't have to tell me.

Go back and re-read his post. He's not simply saying that the CJS in America is really bad, he's saying that any American criticizing NK for its prison system is a hypocrite simply by virtue of being born in America. That is psychotic.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What country are you from?
This is absolutely irrelevant. I'm from a family of immigrants of multiple races from multiple countries so my history in this current country isn't very long, but it doesn't matter. The ability to criticize concentration camps, or criticize the support of people complicit with such acts, isn't dependent on where we live.

You know what I judge? I judge Canada and the United States when they turned away the MS St Louis, a boat carrying 900 Jewish refugees in 1939, which ultimately returned to Germany where a quarter of them were subsequently murdered in concentration camps. I judge the international community for not placing sanctions on the Ottoman Empire in response to the Armenian genocide in the 1910s, and their complete lack of care for pushing for any restitution to the surviving families. Borders shouldn't fucking matter. People are dying. I don't expect everyone on Earth to help or write in to their elected officials, gimme a break, I know everyone has other things to worry about, but I sure as hell judge anyone who trusts a foreign government that runs concentration camps, which is what this thread is about.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
That article doesn't really say anything.

Do they trust him to keep the treaty?

Do they trust him implicitly?

What was the sample size?

Was there any incentives?

What was the return rate in terms of answers?

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's almost like it's a deliberate thread derail from someone with totally sincere motives as illustrated by the consistent logic and progression of their arguments.

See? Totally sincere.

I believe they were frustrated and upset, and understandably so. Not that it matters now, I suppose.

I didn't say he was wrong about that so don't twist my words. I acknowledged that the CJS in America is vile. Believe me, I've seen that shit first hand - you don't have to tell me.

Go back and re-read his post. He's not simply saying that the CJS in America is really bad, he's saying that any American criticizing NK for its prison system is a hypocrite simply by virtue of being born in America. That is psychotic.

Not trying to twist your words, apologies there. I believe both systems can be scrutinized, and the possibility of comparison isn't too far out of the natural response someone would have to a topic about a country's CJS, especially if they are passionate about the subject. Though its clear the discussion he was presenting was fairly hyperbolic, I would think calling that person psychotic is a bit much.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
Serious threats to world order, in my opinion, in no particular order:

• American imperialism
  • Russian oligarchy / gangsterism / militarism
  • Tensions in the Middle East along the Iran / Israel axis
  • Climate disaster and approaching peak oil
  • Instability of financial markets
  • Growing European ethnonationalism
  • Refugee crises
  • North Korean nuclear posturing

All of those things are perpetuated, at least in part, by states that have serious human rights violations on record. All of them. America is killing people with drones all over the world, Putin is stoking xenophobia at home while raiding the country like a personal fief, the whole Middle East is increasingly violent and volatile, oil companies kill dissidents and suppress science, rich bankers and investors are deliberately undermining financial regulations, Eastern European nationalists are playing up racial tension for political gain, right wing governments are using refugees as bogeymen, and North Korea is using the threat of nuclear weapons to bully neighbouring states.

All of those things are, obviously, deplorable. And all of them should be stopped. And stopping those things may be possible, but it may not entail the complete reform of the actors responsible for them.

I would like for the Syrian Civil War to end, even if Saudi Arabia and Iran don't become secular liberal states. I would like for Russia to be less corrupt and violent, even if they still have a dictator. I would like modern neoliberal capitalism to be regulated and controlled, even if its worse excesses aren't completely tamed.

It isn't just short sighted, it is actually immoral, to be against denuclearization of the Korean peninsula on the grounds that it doesn't come with a free side of DPRK liberalization. We can also work towards that, we obviously should also work towards that, but this condescending "no peace without reform" thing is just counterproductive.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I believe they were frustrated and upset, and understandably so. Not that it matters now, I suppose.

Not trying to twist your words, apologies there. I believe both systems can be scrutinized, and the possibility of comparison isn't too far out of the natural response someone would have to a topic about a country's CJS, especially if they are passionate about the subject. Though its clear the discussion he was presenting was fairly hyperbolic, I would think calling that person psychotic is a bit much.
Saying any person who happened to be born in America can't criticize literal North Korean concentration camps is crazy, yes. It is delusional thinking.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

I apologise, but when Kanye made that same statement, it took another black man to correct him and they did not sound or look the same ;).

Your argument regarding the political regime and population in North Korea had the same head and tail:
If population/person/race is okay with it, there must be no other way or problem with it right?
Or am I saying something totally different?
--
There is no head or tail from what I've seen with this back and forth discussion and only leads to thread derailment.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
Saying any person who happened to be born in America can't criticize literal North Korean concentration camps is crazy, yes.

It's not about criticizing or not criticizing. It's about dismissing the value of peace and denuclearization because of the existence of those concentration camps. And ignoring the very real probability that peace is the first step towards ending the Kim regime's human rights abuses.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not about criticizing or not criticizing. It's about dismissing the value of peace and denuclearization because of the existence of those concentration camps. And ignoring the very real probability that peace is the first step towards ending the Kim regime's human rights abuses.
And see you're getting off base here and also twisting the meaning of my words. I was responding to a specific poster who said Americans are hypocrites for criticizing NK's prison system simply by virtue of being born in America. That's it - that's the statement I was responding to.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
That article doesn't really say anything.

Do they trust him to keep the treaty?

Do they trust him implicitly?

What was the sample size?

Was there any incentives?

What was the return rate in terms of answers?
It was asking if they trust that he'll go though with the denuclearization pledge for peace. Idk how big the sample was though.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Saying any person who happened to be born in America can't criticize literal North Korean concentration camps is crazy, yes.

Again, I think you are undermining mental health by calling someone "crazy" for being frustrated, upset, and yes even hyperbolic. A lack of articulation does not make someone psychotic. I agree that NK is most definitely open to criticism, as is our country and its many institutions, but I don't think mass negativity towards someone expressing those concerns was really warranted.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

Who has said what you're implying? I genuinely might have missed it, but I didn't see anyone saying denuclearization is bad or inconsequential.

Subba

Banned
Feb 23, 2018
South Korean citizens for years now have favored a reunification. Both sides have family members on the other side of the border that they haven't seen in years. Can't blame them for wanting peace.

Kimura

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Who are we to judge? I'm sure Koreans have a better understanding of what the stakes are than any of us.

This is really difficult for me to understand. Why can't we judge the dictator or what he has done?

And what does having a closer understanding have to do with having right to judge anything? People who have a deep understanding or experiences can be biased to the point of not being able to see the situation rationally. They cannot be partial or fair because they are emotionally biased. That is why third party people are often brought in to try and make things more fair in general.
That's not to say that experiences don't have merit, but I do not see how ones own experiences put someone in front of the line of anything. Experiences does not equal being right. Many people with experiences make the wrong choices or don't process information in a way that is conducive to anything substantial.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denuclearization is good, but I don't understand why there were provisions for checking nuclear sites and none for checking concentration camps. The Korean War has barely killed anyone (if anyone at all, as far as I know) since 1953, but who knows how many thousands have been killed within their own country. It's hard to care about a peace for a war with no death toll, and I don't understand why other countries are giving up so much to pursue that peace. I don't see how the international community will be in a better position to negotiate the improvement of NK's domestic situation - as far as I can tell, they'll only have less sway over North Korea after this, because they'll have less to offer them than before.

But the particulars of that isn't directly relevant to the topic, which is...how the hell can so many people trust a government that actively runs gulags?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, that's pretty crazy. You couldn't get 80% of Americans to agree on what color the fucking sky is.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the situation myself, but I'm very surprised South Koreans are so open to trusting him already.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
Who has said what you're implying? I genuinely might have missed it, but I didn't see anyone saying denuclearization is bad or inconsequential.

Some are only implying it, but cervanky at least is outright saying it.

Maybe get a person from one of the prison camps to do so instead.

I trust Kim Jong-Un to do whatever he thinks is necessary to maintain a relative status quo for his regime, up to and including cowing to international pressure so long as nobody looks too far beyond Pyongyang.

Considering the numbers of Americans that get forced to take that shitty 1 year assignment in South Korea for their defense, I think our opinion is as valid as anyone's.

Edit: to clarify S.Korea is great. The assignment is extra shitty because you can't have your family and you are constantly doing war exercises in your chem gear due to NK's unrelenting threats. This rapid change of opinion is stupefying and probably not at all accurate.

I'm not American but I am part of a family that's been impacted and killed by genocide because a world wouldn't look beyond its borders. It's not useful or helpful to compare the race relations of the United States to concentration camps in North Korea.

It looks like there's a population in South Korea and across the world that is only concerned with North Korea's nuclear disarmament and doesn't give a shit about the humanitarian situation in North Korea. The peace agreement has provisions for inspecting nuclear sites and absolutely nothing about inspecting gulags. The world is more interested in preventing a nuclear exchange that would never happen anyway because of mutually assured destruction, while completely ignoring the thousands who are being killed in North Korea.

I'm critical of South Koreans who trust a leader who runs concentration camps. A population so complacement wouldn't pressure their own government to ensure inspection of gulags. If they were, there would be a provision for that in their peace agreements instead of solely focusing on the nuclear issue.

And what do you mean my own country? Did you read my post?

What's peace? Nuclear disarmament? The end of the Korean War, something with an armistice since 1953?

I'd define peace as the cessation of gulags, the rounding up of families and the execution of them by the thousands. Why should they trust that the North Korean government has any moral compass at all? Isn't it far more likely that they simply want to maintain their regime, to have their cake and eat it too - to rejoin the international community, while maintaining their power?

I'm not pushing for regime change, I'm not foolish. I'm simply observing how there's absolutely no pressure for prison reform and all the attention is on the nuclear issue, which is a total red herring. Mutually assured destruction kills no one. Concentration camps have, and continue to.

Why would anyone trust that a government desires peace with the world when they don't pursue peace within their own borders? Isn't that ludicrously naive? The North Korean government wants to survive while its people are dying. Any peace agreement should look out for them, too.

The lifting of sanctions and reintroduction to the international community could have been a bargaining chip for pressuring North Korea to close their concentration camps. By giving that up to pursue the end of a war (that again, has had an armistice since 1953 and is killing no one), the international community has fewer options to pressure North Korea into bettering their domestic situation. I have absolutely no faith that a mass-murdering government will have a sudden change of heart and decide without pressure to stop killing their own people.

Concentration camps are bad. Mass executions of families are bad. Enough genocides have happened in the 20th century that we've learned they're not just perpetuated by evil governments or hateful people, they're enabled by complacent populations who turn a blind eye or are chiefly concerned with their own self-preservation. I've had family killed because of genocide a hundred years ago, where an evil government committed terrible acts and the world turned a blind eye because it wasn't happening with their own borders, but my argument isn't predicated on that history.

It's crystal clear that people care more that nukes aren't pointed at them anymore than they are concerned about people being rounded up and executed elsewhere, even though there was never any serious threat those nukes would be launched while those gulags are very, very real.

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm outright stating that denuclearization is a response to an existential threat that has the potential to kill millions or billions but practically speaking kills no one because of mutually assured destruction, while concentration camps have and continue to kill thousands. I personally do care more about the present-day threat, since the 20th century is filled with examples of gulags and genocide but zero examples of nuclear war between nuclear states.

Denuclearization is a worthwhile goal but I do care less about it than the closing of concentration camps. I know they aren't mutually exclusive but it's obvious what South Koreans care more about, since they are placing trust in a government that's promising to put away the nukes, while I think any reasonable person should maybe still reserve some suspicion because that government also happens to be running concentration camps.

If your neighbour had a nuke and also a fenced area where they kidnapped local people and executed them and their families, would you start to trust them after they gave up the nuke?

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Trusting someone, liking someone, and thinking someone is a good person are three VERY different things.
True enough. And I'd count myself as one of the optimistic ones who thinks Kim might actually be turning over a new leaf.

Still, it's tough to trust a man who executed his Uncle and every man, woman and child that shared his blood.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
I'm outright stating that denuclearization is a response to an existential threat that has the potential to kill millions or billions but practically speaking kills no one because of mutually assured destruction, while concentration camps have and continue to kill thousands. I personally do care more about the present-day threat, since the 20th century is filled with examples of gulags and genocide but zero examples of nuclear war between nuclear states.

Denuclearization is a worthwhile goal but I do care less about it than the closing of concentration camps. I know they aren't mutually exclusive but it's obvious what South Koreans care more about, since they are placing trust in a government that's promising to put away the nukes, while I think any reasonable person should maybe still reserve some suspicion because that government also happens to be running concentration camps.

If your neighbour had a nuke and also a fenced area where they kidnapped local people and executed them and their families, would you start to trust them after they gave up the nuke?

Did you just say the 20th century did not have any nuclear warfare in it

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did you just say the 20th century did not have any nuclear warfare in it
Read again please.
"zero examples of nuclear war between nuclear states."
"between nuclear states"

Correct me if I'm wrong but mutually assured destruction didn't apply in 1945, holy shit. I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous here.

I have little faith that you're correctly assessing and interpreting my arguments by questioning my desire for peace if you misread a straightforward statement like this.

Last edited:

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
True enough. And I'd count myself as one of the optimistic ones who thinks Kim might actually be turning over a new leaf.

Still, it's tough to trust a man who executed his Uncle and every man, woman and child that shared his blood.

I feel like trust is a weird way to have phrased it. It suggests a faith in character that I'm not sure it's possible to extend toward Kim without being incredibly naive. Do I believe he is likely to follow through because he believes it will be to his own personal benefit? Sure. Does that mean I trust the man in any way, shape, or form? Dear god, no.

I actually do wonder if any of this was somewhat lost in the process of translation and if the question as originally asked implies any level of belief in a person's intentions or morality that seems to come along with "trust."

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude you seem smart or at least not dumb. Use critical thinking. Saying that Kim and NK are not trustworthy does not mean people are against peace or denuclearization. It means the history of NK signing deals and treaties and then later backing out is fresh in some people's mind and that there should be a healthy level of skepticism until NK's end of the bargain is not only met but sustained, which frankly will take years to see.

This "they're against peace" talking point is stupid. People will be skeptical of this regime for years and rightfully so.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
This is really difficult for me to understand. Why can't we judge the dictator or what he has done?

And what does having a closer understanding have to do with having right to judge anything? People who have a deep understanding or experiences can be biased to the point of not being able to see the situation rationally. They cannot be partial or fair because they are emotionally biased. That is why third party people are often brought in to try and make things more fair in general.
That's not to say that experiences don't have merit, but I do not see how ones own experiences put someone in front of the line of anything. Experiences does not equal being right. Many people with experiences make the wrong choices or don't process information in a way that is conducive to anything substantial.
I was referring to judging the people of South Korea.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, I'm implying that Kim Jong-Un is comfortable with de-nuclearization so long as he gets to keep other aspects of his regime relatively untouched/unmonitored. My comment has nothing to do with minimizing the impact of said de-nuclearization/formal termination of war with South Korea. Clearly these things happen in steps.

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
"zero examples of nuclear war between nuclear states."
"between nuclear states"

Correct me if I'm wrong but mutually assured destruction didn't apply in 1945, holy shit. I don't think I'm saying anything outrageous here.

Uh, one state dropped two nuclear bombs on another state, how is that not nuclear war between states

Oh, I see, between nuclear states. Like both countries having nuclear bombs. Uh, okay. You got me, I guess.

I have little faith that you're correctly assessing and interpreting my arguments by questioning my desire for peace if you misread a straightforward statement like this.

You're literally, openly saying that denuclearization is bad because it lets NK off the hook for their gulags