• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
Seems a bit naive to me.

One summit has changed the perceptions of a nation.

Friday's meeting between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Kim Jong Un prompted 78 percent of respondents to a Korea Research Center poll published this week to say they trusted the North Korean leader. That's a far cry from the 10 percent of South Koreans who said they approved of Kim in a Gallup Korea poll conducted just a month-and-a-half ago.

The summit was filled with unprecedented scenes: Kim's step over the ankle-high concrete slab dividing the Korean Peninsula -- and then his walk back across the border hand-in-hand with Moon; a 30-minute private chat in the woods in front of television cameras; the first ever live remarks to reporters by a North Korean leader; Kim's sense of humor and his deferential manner toward Moon, who is more than 30 years his senior.

And that's just the optics. More significantly, the two leaders signed a declaration to finally end a seven-decade war this year, and pursue the "complete denuclearization" of the Korean Peninsula. Kim also called for frequent meetings between the leaders -- a major shift given only three summits have taken place since the war.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t-of-south-koreans-say-they-trust-kim-jong-un

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
349035078334283777.png

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On the one hand, he authorized heinous executions, assassinations and condemned political rivals and their families to brutal prison camps.
On the other hand, he's still leagues better than his predecessors, likes K-Pop... and is oh-so cuddly.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the amount of trust I would put into Kim could be measured by how far I could throw one of their ICBM's by hand.

Then again I'm an outsider looking in, and believe me if this is the start of lasting peace on the Korean peninsula I'm all for it.

Paradox House

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Foreigners shocked as young democracy clouded in corruption appears to be a strongly restricted country socially and financially courting a foreign democracy.

As long as SK does not become a communist state they will accept a lot. Remember these are two countries with the same cultural tradition. They are a single nation split by opposing ideologies.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hate how cavalier media can be with statistics.
What was the sample size? What was the exact question?

There's a world of difference between something like:
Do you think that Kim Jong Un's attempt to negotiate a peace treaty are genuine
vs.
Do you trust Kim Jong Un?

Instead of getting any of that detail, however, we just get "78% of S. Koreans trust KJU", which is a nice sound-byte and headline, but doesn't really mean much without the detail behind it.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with them. I'm not expecting this to be a Red Wedding or anything. KJU saw the writing on the wall and decided to play ball. What other choice did he have?

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Who are we to judge? I'm sure Koreans have a better understanding of what the stakes are than any of us.
This sort of thinking doesn't always apply.

see: International opinions and views on Bush at the time and Trump currently versus the American public.

Maybe South Koreans know something we don't, though. We'll find out who ends up being right in the coming months and years.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Does it say anywhere how many respondents that actually responded and what the exact question(s) asked were?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how cavalier media can be with statistics.
What was the sample size? What was the exact question?

There's a world of difference between something like:
Do you think that Kim Jong Un's attempt to negotiate a peace treaty are genuine
vs.
Do you trust Kim Jong Un?

Instead of getting any of that detail, however, we just get "78% of S. Koreans trust KJU", which is a nice sound-byte and headline, but doesn't really mean much without the detail behind it.
Yes the difference in these two questions is massive

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Koreans just want to see that epic crossover of TWICE with the Moranbong band

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Foreigners shocked as young democracy clouded in corruption appears to be a strongly restricted country socially and financially courting a foreign democracy.

As long as SK does not become a communist state they will accept a lot. Remember these are two countries with the same cultural tradition. They are a single nation split by opposing ideologies.

So we just gonna sit here and judge them when the whole world is asking why we elected Trump?

I'm not judging them and yes I am shocked.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Friday's meeting between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Kim Jong Un prompted 78 percent of respondents to a Korea Research Center poll published this week to say they trusted the North Korean leader. That's a far cry from the 10 percent of South Koreans who said they approved of Kim in a Gallup Korea poll conducted just a month-and-a-half ago.

I don't get this. This seem like two completely different questions.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Trust how? Implicitly or simply to hold to the various agreements and requirements for the peace treaty? While it's a big percentage regardless the context of the question and their perception would be helpful.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
South Koreans have had a rough go of it politically over the past half decade.

I'm surprised the delusionment in their government isn't way more severe.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this. This seem like two completely different questions.
Yup, and "trusted" how?
Trust him to be honest in his ambitions for peace? Trust him in general? Trust him to take care of his brother at the airport? If it's really just a general "Do you trust KJU?" then the result is startling. I suspect that wasn't the question, however.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Trust how? In regards to negotiations, or in general?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I still think this was Kim Jong Un's end game.

He comes into power. Immediately, there are people who want to take him down... not only from the military but also from his immediate family.

He has to be ruthless, yes. These people wouldn't hesitate to poison him, backstab him, or just slit his throat. So he acts just like his father did... kill the uncle, throw his body to the dogs, etc.

He goes on and on about his country's nuclear capabilities. That's how he keeps the rest of his military in line. And it also gives him a seat at the big table of countries. His country is poor, but he has a nuke, so that forces other countries to take him seriously. That gives him leverage when negotiating.

So he signs the peace treaty, scales back his nuclear program (which is probably not as advanced as he made it out to be), and everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

And then he gets what he wanted all along... more North Koreans playing Fortnite. Can't really play a battle royale game with only one person.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Statistics. Or how to lie with them. They didn't easily change their opinion, it's all about what you ask and how. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean he assassinated his brother and blew up his uncle not too long ago, oh and all the prison camps.

But don't mind me I'm just an ignorant American who has trust issues.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Who are we to judge? I'm sure Koreans have a better understanding of what the stakes are than any of us.

So when the UN decided to lay sanctions upon North Korea, they should've listened to South Koreans first?
We can't judge international conflicts or situations, because we're not from that country?

How does your logic even work?

-------

After googling: "MBC poll south Korea", I found another Washington Post article with the same title concluding that 80% of S. Koreans "approve" the (dictator) Kim. The original MBC article can be found here: "http://imnews.imbc.com/replay/2018/nwdesk/article/4593810_22663.html "

Google translate that and:

â—€ Anchor â–¶

I asked Kim Jong-un about the image of Kim Jong-un at the summit.

More than 70 percent of the respondents answered that they are trustworthy.

I asked what the most impressive scene was.

Reporter Lee Jung Eun continues to tell.

â—€ report â–¶

Kim Jong-eun asked whether the chairman's confidence in the actions or remarks he showed at the summit.

17.1% very trustworthy, 60.5% trustworthy in general, 77.5% positive rating.

By age, 30 to 50 were positive over 80%, while positive ratings from 19 to 29 were 65.3% lower than those in their 60s or older.

According to ideological trends, 89.6% of respondents with a tendency toward progress, 69.4% with a moderate tendency, and 72.9% with a conservative tendency responded to Kim's trust.

On April 27th, when the two leaders were together, I asked what the most impressive scene was.

In a surprise offer by Kim, the response rate was high in the order of 10 seconds when President Moon passed the military demarcation line, the moment when the two leaders shared their first handshake with the military demarcation line, and then 30 minutes alone on the foot bridge.

29.9 percent said they would be very successful in the North American summit, which is expected to be held in the next three to four weeks, and 56.4 percent said it would be somewhat successful.

Most of the respondents answered that they would like to hold the meeting at Panmunjom, and the respondents who selected Singapore as their overseas city
13%.

The survey was conducted by MBC Korea Research Center, which conducted interviews of 1,223 men and women aged 19 and over yesterday over two days. The response rate was 12%. The sampling error was 95% % p.

MBC News is Lee Jung Eun.

Also, I'm sure that there a lot of S. Koreans opposed to Kim, as shown by the protests during the winter Olympics.
The dream is, of course, to be unified or at least no conflict, so that's the best outcome of this situation. Its good publicity towards Kim as any opposition to him might muddy the relationship.

Oct 27, 2017
I can absolutely see how they would want to trust him, for now at least. Or rather, at least hope that they can. If for no other reason that to see where this goes. Historical speaking this is kind of uncharted waters.

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
The questions are distinct enough that trying to equating the two polls is sloppy reporting. Especially when the two polls were conducted by two organizations that may not have matching methodologies.Trusting and approving of someone are two completely different things. Polling is notorious in how easy it is to get wildly different results based on how you word a question or what questions are asked prior.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I trust Kim Jong-Un to do whatever he thinks is necessary to maintain a relative status quo for his regime, up to and including cowing to international pressure so long as nobody looks too far beyond Pyongyang.

T'Challa Shakur

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Watch in awe as I simultaneously judge people who trust Kim Jong Un and those who voted Trump.

I mean....you dont really have a leg to stand on. He is your President. He represents you. You can detest him but when it comes to world meetings. Your representative is Donald Trump.

America might as well be a 3rd world country with all the poverty and corruption that plagues it.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad a bunch of American and European internet posters are here to tell them how wrong they are
Considering the numbers of Americans that get forced to take that shitty 1 year assignment in South Korea for their defense, I think our opinion is as valid as anyone's.

Edit: to clarify S.Korea is great. The assignment is extra shitty because you can't have your family and you are constantly doing war exercises in your chem gear due to NK's unrelenting threats. This rapid change of opinion is stupefying and probably not at all accurate.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Americans have any grounds to condemn or criticize a country's prison situation when the system is set up as a Pipeline from Schools to Prison...im just saying its a bit hypocritical.

What's hypocritical about criticizing both the American prison system and North Korea's labor camps?

I mean....you dont really have a leg to stand on. He is your President. He represents you. You can detest him but when it comes to world meetings. Your representative is Donald Trump.

America might as well be a 3rd world country with all the poverty and corruption that plagues it.

What leg do I need to stand on? Do I have to get rid of Trump before I condemn a dictator?

dusteatingbug

Dec 1, 2017
Considering how many Americans that get forced to take that shitty 1 year assignment in South Korea for their defense, I think oit opinion is as valid as anyone's.

Surely you're not referring to Americans who voluntarily join the military and then go to a different country far away from their own friends, families and hometowns to defend a border that has not been violated since 1953

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Americans have any grounds to condemn or criticize a country's prison situation when the system is set up as a Pipeline from Schools to Prison...im just saying its a bit hypocritical.
I think every person on Earth has the right to condemn someone who trusts a government that rounds up and executes families in gulags. Those crimes against humanity are beyond borders, and even if a person lives in a country where similar atrocities occur (and they don't happen in the United States, as awful as its prison situation is) they have the right to criticize its supporters no matter where they are, unless they are themselves responsible for perpetuating similar acts that kill thousands.