Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I agree with you, but I just want to add that Dale Jr. isn't just "one of the biggest and most prestigious names in the sport", but he was literally the sport's most popular driver every year in which he competed at the top level, pretty much.

Not only that, but his dad being one of the most winning champions at the sport's highest level, who was the most popular driver before him and whom literally was killed by the sport. Dale Jr. probably single-handedly has the most respect and clout in the sport, and this amount of clout is probably greater than any other singular athlete in any other high level sport. Not because of his skill within the sport, but simply because of who he is.

But yeah, let's all keep stereotyping the sport and its fans! Yes, there are shit-tier people who watch the sport, there's no doubt, but to say that "most everyone who likes and watches NASCAR surely must be drooling racists!" is some fucking horseshit.
Like I've never heard a Petty or a Jarrett or a Waltrip or an Earnhardt say anything to indicate they are okay with saying the N word, or the fans saying it and flying the rebel flag. Nor have I heard it from more current stars like Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson or Kyle Busch or Martin Truex Jr or Chase Elliott. So I don't know why anyone would jump to the conclusion that it's a NASCAR problem.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
The confederate flags and a predominantly white audience (mostly in the south and midwest) are why I said that. I didn't say all, but I've seen enough to assume it may not be too far off.

Edit: I'm from TN btw.
You're literally quoting and in a thread of people that watch that aren't though. I wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't left leaning because Jesus Christ this place would annoys the shit out of me if I was anything but. I grew up watching it but loved the racing not the "hurr durr america" side of it.

Larson doing this pisses me the fuck off and I hope he loses big time off of it. Nascar Twitter is also pissed.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
That tongue has been aged from past convos like a fine wine for how smooth it delivered that bad boy.

But I'm sure "that's not who I am"

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that time Dale Earnhardt Jr, one of the sports biggest names in recent years, publicly decried the use of the Confederate flag among NASCAR fans? I do.

www.autoweek.com

Dale Earnhardt, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Both Confronted Confederate Flag Controversy in Past

Old stories show how the father-son NASCAR drivers disagreed with adoration of the rebel flag.
I've always held a conspiracy theory that Dale Earnhardt was secretly a liberal, who played the part of a conservative when selling his image.

This is the closest thing I have seen approaching proof.

On a different note, I also dislike how people seem to think FIA formula series are somehow immune to racism due to its international stature. I dont think any racing series are immune to it.

Hell, whenever I talk about how Lewis Hamilton hate is largely motivated by racism, people IRL treat me like I'm crazy.

Oct 31, 2017
Like I've never heard a Petty or a Jarrett or a Waltrip or an Earnhardt say anything to indicate they are okay with saying the N word, or the fans saying it and flying the rebel flag. Nor have I heard it from more current stars like Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson or Kyle Busch or Martin Truex Jr or Chase Elliott. So I don't know why anyone would jump to the conclusion that it's a NASCAR problem.
Just a lot of the knuckle-dragger fans, and the fact that it comes from prohibition midnight moonshine runners in the Deep South. There is, no doubt, a lot of racist, terrible people who watch the sport, but I don't think it is fair to say that the majority of people who watch the sport are racists/terrible people. I've seen a bunch of different people of all stripes and ages at races, and I've attended a bunch of them in my life.

People just love to hate the sport. I wish it had both a broader, more diverse fanbase and competition base, but it doesn't sadly, and I'm not sure if it will be able to break free of its stereotyping/archetyping. It looked like it might years ago, but as the sport has contracted in popularity, it makes me less confident in this happening.

I think another big contributor to this widely held perception is the fact that racing has to easily be the most privileged form of competition, most primarily due to the financial demands.

Oct 31, 2017
He's also from northern California. It's not as if he falls into the stereotypical driver profile in the sport.
Eh, I'd argue that "Cali Boy" is the stereotypical driver profile for NASCAR since the 90's and Jeff's ascension. The "Good Ole Southern Boy" stereotype kind of faded when Jeff came in and dominated.

And I just want to be clear, Kyle Larson can get fucked. I liked this guy, but fuck him.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
He's also from northern California. It's not as if he falls into the stereotypical driver profile in the sport.
I'd argue there is no stereotypical driver profile anymore. The most successful driver in the sport right now, Kyle Busch, is from Las Vegas. Perhaps the most popular, Jimmie Johnson(whose popularity is even more this year because it was supposed to be his last year), is from the San Diego area. Other popular drivers like Brad Keselowski(Michigan) and Joey Logano(Connecticut) aren't from the stereotypical driver profile. NASCAR has progressed a ton over the years.

And yeah, Jeff Gordon the California boy did a lot to change the stereotype when the sport was at it's most accessible.

Oct 31, 2017
True but it's still heavily associated with the South, even though the driver base has greatly diversified beyond that region.
Yeah you are right, and Dishwalla above made good points how a lot of successful drivers right now are from all over the U.S., not just the South. Though yeah, it is still definitely heavily associated with the South with that being where the majority of the tracks and fan base is located.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue there is no stereotypical driver profile anymore. The most successful driver in the sport right now, Kyle Busch, is from Las Vegas. Perhaps the most popular, Jimmie Johnson(whose popularity is even more this year because it was supposed to be his last year), is from the San Diego area. Other popular drivers like Brad Keselowski(Michigan) and Joey Logano(Connecticut) aren't from the stereotypical driver profile. NASCAR has progressed a ton over the years.

Yep yep, I know. But a lot of people who don't closely follow the sport assume otherwise. You have guys from the Northeast like Logano and Ryan Preece, a bevy of Midwestern drivers, a strong Cali contingent (Larson, Jimmie, Harvick to name a few), the Busch brothers coming out of Vegas ... it's not a Southern dominated sport anymore but in the eyes of many, they still feel it is culturally.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the McDonalds China post...y'all who didn't know before gon learn there's no such thing as POC solidarity.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Racism is deeply embedded in Nascar and all motorsports for that matter. F1 nearly cancelled a race in Spain because of racism towards Lewis Hamilton. Speaking of, Hamilton is the one and only black driver in the sports' history. Makes Nascar look evolved.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
As a huge fan who watched this live, this really sucks. Most of the NASCAR fans that I know lean liberal and we've all had our concerns about Larson. For the past couple of years, through drips and drabs, he's been exposing himself as an asshole. But today the lid blew off. One of our youngest, most promising stars, shows himself to be an ignorant, racist, shithead, and it stings.

It also stings that a sport that I absolutely love, even though I'm personally torn by many of its social aspects, gets set back like this. On the heels of a driver losing a sponsor last week because he quit a race (that is supposed to be purely for fun), both NASCAR and Larson's sponsors need to react swiftly and harshly to this incident.

What a clusterfuck. I've been growing worried about iRacing for the past few weeks because it felt like NASCAR really hit on something that they weren't prepared for when they started broadcasting races 4 weeks ago. Now we have a situation where a driver used a racial slur in an unofficial race and something needs to be done. The headache that this has turned into when, just four weeks ago, this was all fun and games, is astounding.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge fan who watched this live, this really sucks. Most of the NASCAR fans that I know lean liberal and we've all had our concerns about Larson. For the past couple of years, through drips and drabs, he's been exposing himself as an asshole. But today the lid blew off. One of our youngest, most promising stars, shows himself to be an ignorant, racist, shithead, and it stings.

It also stings that a sport that I absolutely love, even though I'm personally torn by many of its social aspects, gets set back like this. On the heels of a driver losing a sponsor last week because he quit a race (that is supposed to be purely for fun), both NASCAR and Larson's sponsors need to react swiftly and harshly to this incident.

What a clusterfuck. I've been growing worried about iRacing for the past few weeks because it felt like NASCAR really hit on something that they weren't prepared for when they started broadcasting races 4 weeks ago. Now we have a situation where a driver used a racial slur in an unofficial race and something needs to be done. The headache that this has turned into when, just four weeks ago, this was all fun and games, is astounding.
Unrelated to the topic but there's also that whole directive from iRacing to all the pro drivers to "Never under no circumstances criticize the game's physics publicly, contact us directly in private if you have feedback instead" lol

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm aware. My point is he didn't say the word because he's a NASCAR driver, that excuse is too easy. Just like saying he said it because he's a gamer. Yet people are all too willing to jump to that conclusion.

The idea that there aren't more racist people in areas of the country like NASCAR, which have no problem flying confederate flags seems ridiculous just on the face of things. The culture of the sport and the people that watch it are very likely to be highly conservative even more than the NFL.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
You're literally quoting and in a thread of people that watch that aren't though. I wouldn't be on this site if I wasn't left leaning because Jesus Christ this place would annoys the shit out of me if I was anything but. I grew up watching it but loved the racing not the "hurr durr america" side of it.

Larson doing this pisses me the fuck off and I hope he loses big time off of it. Nascar Twitter is also pissed.

Look, I know you feel for some reason like you're on trial for watching and enjoying NASCAR, but you're not. Pretty much everyone knows that not everyone who participates in or watches NASCAR is a racist. However, given the comparative amount of confederate and MAGA flags waving at NASCAR events compared to every other sport in America, I think it's unreasonable to deny that there's a significantly stronger relationship between NASCAR and racism than other American sports. And regardless of where the drivers come from it's a cultural thing that pervades the environment of NASCAR.

It might be easy to ignore the writhing mass of hatred in and around the stands of a race when you're watching on TV, but when you're actually attending all of those events you have to be willing to tolerate it constantly. And given the permissive attitude toward racism at its venues by NASCAR, it shouldn't be surprising to learn that many of the staff, drivers, mechanics, etc. are drawn to the sport because of the miasma of racism that surrounds it. Remember, it's not just non-fans who view NASCAR as being a bastion of racism. Many people became fans because it's a bastion of racism.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Gotta love how morons are drawn to the ONE dehumanizing word that no decent person would think of using casually.

Normal people: "Maybe I should not suggest that black people are subhuman."

What a challenge.

Jun 10, 2018
I don't know, I get the fuss over the stereotypes (believe me I do), but at the same token it's not a coincidence black Americans by and large don't flock to the sport. And black Americans have a pretty good track record of avoiding hotbeds for anti-blackness, hence their collective aversion to Republicanism.

So either black Americans are behaving ignorantly, or NASCAR has an underlying problem that needs to be (and what they've admittedly tried) to address.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Racism is deeply embedded in Nascar and all motorsports for that matter. F1 nearly cancelled a race in Spain because of racism towards Lewis Hamilton. Speaking of, Hamilton is the one and only black driver in the sports' history. Makes Nascar look evolved.

While the Spanish GP incident was shameful, Formula 1 has also had many drivers from Asia, Mexico, South America, India and that's just off the top of my head. Not to mention hosting races across the globe with very cosmopolitan crowds.

Now again it doesn't excuse the shameful display by those Spanish fans and I will not deny other examples of intolerance are not there, but what you're saying is just straight up false and I'm not much a fan of all this finger pointing. This is about NASCARs relationship with racism.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can't even use the old "in the heat of the moment" excuse since he was cool as a cucumber. And his buddies remind him he's on stream of course.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
When people said pitting real life racers against gamers was unfair because real life racers weren't familiar with e-sports, I thought they referred to the way the simulation worked and not that they didn't have any experience with surpressing the heated gamer moment.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): modwhining
Hopefully he enjoyed his career while he had it. That's over for him now. You would hope that someone with his family's history specifically would understand how ridiculous and hurtful racial biases can be. What an asshole.

It's a shame to see an admin advocating stereotypes.

A shame but not a surprise. Go into any firearm thread and you see the same negative generalizations. Making broad, negative generalizations is OK so long as they align with the site moderation's biases. They don't even elicit warnings.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched Nascar since 1996. Let me give everyone on the outside a true look into where Nascar stands through my eyes as a liberal.

1. Nascar drivers are no longer the stereotypical Bible thumping republican racist southerners. Major progress has been made for diversity. Black men and women are getting opportunities. Toyota recently gave up and coming Hallie deegan a major development contract to which she made the move to ford recently. Bubba Wallace was given the reigns to a historic 43 car. Just a couple examples of progress but much more needs to be done.

2. Nascar owners and officials are in the process of getting out of the sterotype. Many exist however. Richard Childress and Jack Roush stand out as men who need to progress their views. Chip Ganassi, Tony stewart, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Rick Hendrick, Joe Gibbs are amongst some good owners. Former CEO Brian France (arrested for DUI lol) is a piece of shit but he was replaced by Jim France whom has yet to reveal what side of the isle he is on.

3. Every single Nascar driver has some sort of charity they actively spend time to. Some even geared toward progressive causes.

4. Nascar fans. Sigh. Majority suck. I wish I could say "African Americans should feel welcome at tracks" but I can't. This is biggest issue.

5. Kyle Larson is a rage monster. He is the guy that comes across as the whiny kid on Xbox live shouting at everyone. On Iracing a week back, He wrecked everyone on purpose in the event he was in. Larson is not Representative of the rest of the drivers and once again sets this sport back. I hope he gets consequences for his actions.

TLDR: Nascar is progressing. They aren't "There" but at least lets not pretend the entire sport is filled with racism. The majority of it is simply in the stands. Not the garages.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I saw Nascars response and fucking LOL. "Gathering more information"?

WHAT MORE DO THEY NEED TO GATHER!?

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF?!?!? "insensitive language", it's a fucking racial slur NASCAR....

twitter.com

Jeff Gluck on Twitter

“NASCAR statement regarding Kyle Larson’s use of a racial slur that went out over Twitch streams during the Monza Madness race last night: “NASCAR is aware of insensitive language used by a driver during an iRacing event on Sunday, and is currently gathering more information.””

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn said it without even blinking and with the hard R too, crazy how no one else seemed that surprised by it either.

Jan 18, 2018
im Never surprised to hear a slur from a nascar driver or on an online game

Between this and the McDonalds China post...y'all who didn't know before gon learn there's no such thing as POC solidarity.
Not even in the same race will you find such solidarity. unless in hatred and complacency
This is what they say openly, imagine what they say about us behind closed doors. We are universally hated.
All day. Most hated. Most copied.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"Gathering information" is Corp for we waiting to see if it blows over or we are figuring out a way to spin it

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
really disappointed resetera members are like this, one restaurant in China does something racist it's "fuck China", one NASCAR driver does something racist it's "fuck NASCAR".