• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited about?

• The search for biosignatures

Votes: 174 37.2%
  • Ingenuity, the Martian helicopter

Votes: 99 21.2%
  • ayy lmao

Votes: 94 20.1%
  • Photos and videos from Mars

Votes: 101 21.6%

• Total voters

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Yeah..... I love the accomplishment and the new technologies used, but IMO we should be focusing all of our efforts on finding life in the solar system. Europa, Titan, Venus, and even Enceladus. But still, I want to see that helicopter fly.

Considering Mars likely had surface water billions of years ago (the same time when life originated on Earth, in fact) and the fact that it has most of the basic ingredients for organic life (CHNOPS) means Mars is one of the best candidates to search for life. While there won't be any on the surface for obvious reasons, the subsurface of Mars is a great place to look since even just short distances below the surface will shield potential life from the harsh radiation/temperature/etc on the surface.

This + the fact that Mars is relatively close means its an easy target to aim for. I think it will be quite difficult to drill through the ice of Europa and Enceladus to get to the oceans below, although I agree its still worth trying. And theres probably no point in sending dedicated machines to search for life on Venus when there are so many better options. Its just too inhospitable and getting anything onto the surface is incredibly difficult due to temperature + pressure.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily, Enceladus - and probably Europa - have active cryovolcanism so an orbiter can fly through a plume and sample directly sample the seawater without having to land.

On the subject of data rates, I forgot to mention that you can view the activities of NASA's Deep Space Network here:

eyes.nasa.gov

Deep Space Network Now

The real time status of communications with our deep space explorers

Currently they're receiving data from Mars Odyssey (NASA's primary comms relay for its rovers) at 160 kbits/sec.
This will be the data for the images to be released later this morning :)

Also, Voyager 1 at 160 bits/s which is very cool :)

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
On the subject of data rates, I forgot to mention that you can view the activities of NASA's Deep Space Network here:

eyes.nasa.gov

Deep Space Network Now

The real time status of communications with our deep space explorers

Currently they're receiving data from Mars Odyssey (NASA's primary comms relay for its rovers) at 160 kbits/sec.
This will be the data for the images to be released later this morning :)

Also, Voyager 1 at 160 bits/s which is very cool :)
This is fascinating, thanks for sharing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah..... I love the accomplishment and the new technologies used, but IMO we should be focusing all of our efforts on finding life in the solar system. Europa, Titan, Venus, and even Enceladus. But still, I want to see that helicopter fly.
Isn't one of the primary missions of Perseverance to look for signs of past life on Mars?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
How the hell do you even test a lower than Earth gravity environment with different atmosphere, for propeller blades?

regarding the atmosphere, I guess they can vacuum a space and fill it with a corresponding mix; and for gravity it could be as easy as just hanging the thing on a sort of spring that compensates for the decrease in gravity.

edit: beaten like a Martian

Oct 26, 2017
bandwith could improve throughout the years when new new Mars orbiters launch and the DSN (deep space network) gets upgrades. So in theory, we might get higher quality footage quicker. But the distance won't change, so unless we find a way to use a faster-than-light method of communication, there will always be a delay.

Once we've perfected sub-space communication then the delay will be far less.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how far away we are from this being technologically possible, but man, imagine the day when NASA is able to get high-quality color video footage from the surface of Mars. Seeing the amazing still images is one thing, but seeing Mars in motion for the first time is gonna be a real game changer.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, who updated the OP title to still refer to things that have already happened? Just put (UP: Landed) in the title and be done with it.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea how far away we are from this being technologically possible, but man, imagine the day when NASA is able to get high-quality color video footage from the surface of Mars. Seeing the amazing still images is one thing, but seeing Mars in motion for the first time is gonna be a real game changer.

thats happening in a few days or a week - Perseverance is loaded with quality cameras -just needs to get its high data rate antennna up and running so it can send it all. You'll get some high quality stuff today too. It's got a microphone as well

the landing videos are going to be nuts

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Where can I get this shirt that Buzz Aldrin is wearing?

fefed437-7ccb-4ba8-b276-306ed84b221b.jpg

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY

Getting the landing vid is going to be extremely cool.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping to one day see a video of a landing taken from a rover/construction already on the surface. That's when it'll feel like we have a real presence on Mars and not a scattering of rovers.
Well, ideally that could happen for the mission getting Perseverance's samples back to Earth. Otherwise, while I agree that it would be very cool, there's honestly little reason to have missions land close to each other until there's a manned missions to Mars -- there's already a rover taking care of its spot on Mars, better to look elsewhere for interesting things to analyse.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm hoping to one day see a video of a landing taken from a rover/construction already on the surface. That's when it'll feel like we have a real presence on Mars and not a scattering of rovers.

I know that one of the theorized ideas for a Mars mission is to do it in pieces with a handful of manned missions without landing to start, potentially putting in place drones or rovers to essentially create a landing base to prepare for humans landing.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
thats happening in a few days or a week - Perseverance is loaded with quality cameras -just needs to get its high data rate antennna up and running so it can send it all. You'll get some high quality stuff today too. It's got a microphone as well

the landing videos are going to be nuts
The landing videos are going to be really cool, yeah.

Those will be low quality though, right? Because they were probably recorded with the same cameras it used to spot for the landing.

What if all rovers join forces and form Voltron, are we dead?
The ensuing robot could also be the silent defender of Earth.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Well, ideally that could happen for the mission getting Perseverance's samples back to Earth. Otherwise, while I agree that it would be very cool, there's honestly little reason to have missions land close to each other until there's a manned missions to Mars -- there's already a rover taking care of its spot on Mars, better to look elsewhere for interesting things to analyse.

At least for exploratory rovers, yeah, this is what I expect, but I'm thinking more the below situation where we start assembling something permanent that does need supply drops or new components (eg a fuel depot, permanent station, etc).

I know that one of the theorized ideas for a Mars mission is to do it in pieces with a handful of manned missions without landing to start, potentially putting in place drones or rovers to essentially create a landing base to prepare for humans landing.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
The landing videos are going to be really cool, yeah.

Those will be low quality though, right? Because they were probably recorded with the same cameras it used to spot for the landing.
www.flir.com

FLIR Machine Vision Cameras are Headed to Mars!

On July 30th, NASA successfully launched their Mars 2020 Perseverance rover mission, scheduled to land on the Red Planet on February 18th, 2021. The primary mission is to search for signs of ancient microscopic life and collect the first ever Martian soil samples to bring back to Earth. But the...
5 of the 6 descent/landing cameras are 1280 × 1024
The down-facing camera on the descent stage (ie. watching the rover being lowered during skycrane) is 2048 × 1536

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... you can see "Curiosity" written on the Rover at the end of the footage.

Is this a fake tweet?

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
BREAKING - Mars visited by aliens. Actual footage of the alien craft on the surface.

A couple of notes:
  • This is the Curiosity rover, not the Perseverance one that just landed.
  • The Curiosity rover has no video cameras, this is several still pictures stitched together and presented as a video.
  • The Curiosity rover has no microphones, the audio is from something else and added later.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Should have known better than to believe a random Twitter user. :(

Stupid people faking things for clout.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

I got a bit emotional seeing that shot. I can only imagine how it must feel for everyone involved with this project. So much could have gone wrong between its take-off seven months ago and it's arrival yesterday. And now it's there, it's unharmed and you can see it, moments away from touching down on an alien planet, ready to fulfill its destiny.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017

There's no official video from the Perseverance rover yet. There's a tweet a little bit up the thread that has a simulated "video" using still images from the Curiosity rover, a sister/cousin of Perseverance, and audio from an unknown, non-Mars source. If memory serves, that "video" was created a couple of years ago as a simulation of what video from Mars would look like. It appears it is now doing the rounds as people mistake it for footage from the new rover, and somewhat understandedly so since the rovers look nearly identical and Perseverance does have video capability. There's no actual video from Mars expected until Monday at the earliest.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
I loved that during the landing, NASA was listening to "heartbeat tones" from the rover to know that it was alive and well.

Perseverance's big wheel
OP
OP
Forerunner

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.jpl.nasa.gov

Perseverance's Big Wheel

This high-resolution image shows one of the six wheels aboard NASA's Perseverance Mars rover, which landed on Feb.18, 2021. The image was taken by one of Perseverance's color Hazard Cameras (Hazcams).

jpegPIA24429.width-1280.jpg

This high-resolution image shows one of the six wheels aboard NASA's Perseverance Mars rover, which landed on Feb. 18, 2021. The image was taken by one of Perseverance's color Hazard Cameras (Hazcams).