Votes: 101 21.6%

• Total voters

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.nasa.gov

NASA’s Perseverance Rover 22 Days From Mars Landing

Seven minutes of harrowing descent to the Red Planet is in the not-so-distant future for the agency’s Mars 2020 mission.

2-pia24285_1a-edl-annotated-2500.jpg

NASA's Mars 2020 Perseverance rover mission is just 22 days from landing on the surface of Mars. The spacecraft has about 25.6 million miles (41.2 million kilometers) remaining in its 292.5-million-mile (470.8-million-kilometer) journey and is currently closing that distance at 1.6 miles per second (2.5 kilometers per second). Once at the top of the Red Planet's atmosphere, an action-packed seven minutes of descent awaits – complete with temperatures equivalent to the surface of the Sun, a supersonic parachute inflation, and the first ever autonomous guided landing on Mars.

Only then can the rover – the biggest, heaviest, cleanest, and most sophisticated six-wheeled robotic geologist ever launched into space – search Jezero Crater for signs of ancient life and collect samples that will eventually be returned to Earth.

Jezero Crater is the perfect place to search for signs of ancient microbial life. Billions of years ago, the now-bone-dry 28-mile-wide (45-kilometer-wide) basin was home to an actively-forming river delta and lake filled with water. The rock and regolith (broken rock and dust) that Perseverance's Sample Caching System collects from Jezero could help answer fundamental questions about the existence of life beyond Earth. Two future missions currently in the planning stages by NASA, in collaboration with ESA (European Space Agency), will work together to bring the samples back to Earth, where they will undergo in-depth analysis by scientists around the world using equipment far too large and complex to send to the Red Planet.

A key objective of Perseverance's mission on Mars is astrobiology, including the search for signs of ancient microbial life. The rover will characterize the planet's geology and past climate, pave the way for human exploration of the Red Planet, and be the first mission to collect and cache Martian rock and regolith.

Subsequent missions, currently under consideration by NASA in cooperation with ESA (European Space Agency), would send spacecraft to Mars to collect these sealed samples from the surface and return them to Earth for in-depth analysis.

The Mars 2020 mission is part of a larger program that includes missions to the Moon as a way to prepare for human exploration of the Red Planet. Charged with returning astronauts to the Moon by 2024, NASA will establish a sustained human presence on and around the Moon by 2028 through NASA's Artemis lunar exploration plans.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Cant wait - hope its a successful landing and hopefully it lasts for a while where plenty of research and photos can be made.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
My actual thought pattern reading the title...

I thought this wasn't landing until February.

NO WAY! IT'S ALMOST FEBRUARY!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
When is there going to be a mission to Olympus Mon? What are they hiding?

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I hope everyone remembered to convert from standard to metric this time.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
Awesome!
This completely passed me by. I wonder if we'll get some video or really high res pics from the 'seven minutes of terror' this time (I think we only got low res stills from curiosity's landing)

Oct 31, 2017
The fact that there will be two nuclear powered rovers on Mars blows my mind. I remember seeing the pictures from Sojourner and being blown away.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Feb 18th is quickly approaching - can't wait!

Is there going to be an OT for this?

Anyways, here's a small "Perseverance Landing (feat. Vangelis)" video I threw together to keep hype levels in check.

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I followed Sojourner, Opportunity and Spirit daily for a long time. The last 2 lasted so long that I eventually got bored and gave up. I haven't followed Curiosity much at all. Maybe Perseverance will be fun to watch for awhile.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
I followed Sojourner, Opportunity and Spirit daily for a long time. The last 2 lasted so long that I eventually got bored and gave up. I haven't followed Curiosity much at all. Maybe Perseverance will be fun to watch for awhile.

I'm in a similar place, but still in awe every fucking time a human-made craft/rover is send to another planet.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Interesting that they plan to send an Uber to pick up and bring home stuff that Perseverance harvests. Mars rock and dirt is going to be valuable stuff.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Yeap, and the robotic helicopter is another thing to look for in this mission.

Hope we get some interesting overhead views/photos from the little guy.

Jan 4, 2021
Oh man this was off my radar till now. Sweating just thinking about all that could go wrong. That is some Expanse style engineering

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Someday, we'll be able to go to mars and rescue all these robots.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love the "fly away" part, as if it didn't just crash a few miles away leaving another pile of trash on Mars forever.

Disorientator

Oct 27, 2017
Cyprus
Ya I'm really excited for this aspect. Will be great to get photos from very different perspectives than what we're used to.

And additionally I remember them mentioning that they included multiple microphones on this one in a "why the hell not" way.

We could get some interesting descent/landing/environmental sounds if we are lucky!

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

I like how diverse the team behind perserverence appears to be. Really inspiring for kids everywhere.

But still I think you need to be a US citizen to work at NASA/JPL. Glad for the diversity, but all of them are americans so for anyone not form the US it's kinda impossible to go in if you are an immigrant :/

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
But still I think you need to be a US citizen to work at NASA/JPL. Glad for the diversity, but all of them are americans so for anyone not form the US it's kinda impossible to go in if you are an immigrant :/
I know but at the end of the day seeing black, brown, Asian men and women doing important science is inspiring for kids of those backgrounds even if they can't necessarily work for nasa. This is especially true for ethnic minority kids who live in countries where ethnic minority people on TV are pigeon holed into sports, music etc.

anyway back to the topic in hand, hopefully the mission to pick up perseverence's samples gets funded. Would be the icing on the cake if we can bring the samples back and examine them in a lab.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I know but at the end of the day seeing black, brown, Asian men and women doing important science is inspiring for kids of those backgrounds even if they can't necessarily work for nasa. This is especially true for ethnic minority kids who live in countries where ethnic minority people on TV are pigeon holed into sports, music etc.
Absolutely, its critical so that everyone feels they can have a chance at realizing their dreams or to discover that this choice can become their dreams.

Btw, what time is the landing expected?

So, it has reached the exclusion zone.....
Whether we wanted it or not, we've stepped....... 😁

It's basically "jesus take the wheel" right now.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
You can, with the "TIME" feature here in era under "insert"

Feb 19, 2021 at 8:29 AM

for example