• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
eh, it's okay to be annoyed at your parents but i think you may need to take a step back, it's really *not* that big of a deal. It's not like they said they were going to vote Trump. Saying it as an "ok boomer" moment makes you sound kinda whiney, tbh. Not everyone is going to share the same opinion as you.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop shitting on other people because they don't believe the same person should be President as you.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Better than Trump in the general

I don't like Bloomberg but big deal. Not everyone wants to vote for Sanders or Warren, both of whom are boomers like Bloomberg.

Mobius

Banned
Oct 10, 2019
Dude, they're voting Democrat. Who cares who they vote for in the primary so long as they vote D in the actual election?

Don't waste all your time telling them how bad their candidate is and have them end up voting for Trump.
So vote for a shitty centrist that's not going to change much of Trump's policies? There's better Democratic nominees out there that can beat trump and also offer better policies that will help people.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So vote for a shitty centrist that's not going to change much of Trump's policies? There's better Democratic nominees out there that can beat trump and also offer better policies that will help people.

And he'll most likely siphon votes away from Biden in the primary.

If you're a Biden stan and want him to get the nod, then I can understand being frustrated than Bloomberg entered the race.

If you are voting for literally anyone else, you should be happy that Bloomberg is making it harder for Biden to win.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna regret this.

my "ok boomer" moment:

when I was a kid in Scotland in a place that was lightly bombed by the nazis, I lived in a tenement flat . All of the buildings had these weird little stone hummocks in front of them, with little metal squares flush to their surface in orderly rows. About three inches apart.

"what's that?" I asked old ladies *

"It's where the government sawed off the iron railings to melt them down for munitions in wwii. To fight nazis!"

"ok that makes sense but how come that's not true in the New Town?"

"Because that's all rich people "

"ok but why are only old ladies explaining this to me?"

* "because all the old poor men, including your grandpa, were killed in wwii and that's why there really aren't many old men who aren't posh."

"yikes."

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao I love that the best defense of Bloomberg is "pUrItY tEsTs!". That's amazing. Really gonna push those Dem voters in the Midwest to vote lol. But then again, he does love stop and frisk so hating POC is common ground.

Oh wait, just remembered that abortion thing, never mind.

OP, Bloomberg is just gonna suck off Biden voters, anyone with a fucking brain knows he's a piece of garbage who'd put a republican on the SC.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg is the perfect candidate to appeal to Greenwich hedge fund managers ehose third car is a prius and literally nobody else. hey trumpers, he wants to take your guns, cars, and soda! Hey black and latino people, he wants the police to harass you for no reason! Hey union members, he hates you too!

also good to see he's pursuing the "ignore the early primaries" strategy that worked so well for the other megalomaniacal former nyc mayor.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good post. Don't know why you'd regret it.

Probably is significant that the best people within a generational cohort don't have as much privilege to grow old.

The boomers were my parents. But some of them were single moms flung into poverty by death with too many kids and bad decisions and probably at least half of them weren't automatically selfish jerks but victims of war and desperate mismanagement of local and global recovery.

plenty of them were soft ignorantdouchebagswith bonespurs and zero awareness but not all of them.

they are definitely a problem shade in the Pantone of the 20th century but they weren't especially evil humans - just a bad example of how selfish we can get as a species when coddled instead of challenged.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll vote for whoever gets Trump out with a D on the ticket. Stop with the moral relativism dude is cancerous.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This is basically my family but with Fox News. Boomers are extremely trapped in the TV news bubble and it'd practically be a full time job to pull them out of it. Just think the number of hours per day over the number of years that they have of TV news shaping their views.

It's honestly probably the biggest problem in our culture and politics, and by extension the biggest threat to the future of the world, given the stakes with climate change. I wish I had an answer to change it, but I don't other than to wait for most of the older generation to die and hope things aren't too fucked by then. No disrespect to the boomers that are good, but I'm sure they'd also agree they're extremely out numbered.

At least there are a ton of boomers whose TV poison of choice isn't the absolute worst of the worst with Fox News, but CNN, MSNBC, and broadcast news still aren't good enough.

I dont usually care if they watch corporate media. Most old people do and people are smart or so i have thought. But its becoming clear to me that corporate entities having control over information in general is just bad. I knew this for a long time but my parents have never shown this kind of thing so close to me

Again my parents are for the most part logical human beings. Which is why im flummoxed that questioning them on their support for someone like boomberg has no results. It would be one thing of they actually wanted a billionare to win..but my dads support of him is based on a 30 sec ad with the narrator saying hes fighting for the little guy..which is wholly contradictory to bloombergs vision when you hear him talk.

I mean the fact that bloomberg is a billionare doesnt even cross the mind

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
It's primary season so this is the perfect time to argue about which candidates are shit and which will actually try to improve our lives. We don't need to settle just yet.

For all the centrists here, you'll vote for Warren or Bernie if they win the nomination right?

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"How dare the OP feel even slightly alienated from their own parents who would vote for man who literally enacted a fascist policy that punished minorities and had absolutely no regret about it until some time in 2018 at the latest."

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

Bloomberg isn't a centrist, he's a former neoconservative Republican - who still are better than Trump is. I'd hate for Bloomberg to win the nomination but I'd vote for any Democrat to stop Trump getting another term.

Which one do you consider better?

And Bloomberg would sell the country to domestic oligarchs

This frames Bloomberg as being equal to Trump, which is preposterous. He's a terrible politician but put some effort into dismantling your opposition.

I dont usually care if they watch corporate media. Most old people do and people are smart or so i have thought. But its becoming clear to me that corporate entities having control over information in general is just bad. I knew this for a long time but my parents have never shown this kind of thing so close to me

Again my parents are for the most part logical human beings. Which is why im flummoxed that questioning them on their support for someone like boomberg has no results. It would be one thing of they actually wanted a billionare to win..but my dads support of him is based on a 30 sec ad with the narrator saying hes fighting for the little guy..which is wholly contradictory to bloombergs vision when you hear him talk.

Not all corporate media is equally bad. It could be a whole lot worse, they could be watching Fox news and be Trumpers. Why are you surprised that you're not getting results? Its not uncommon for people who disagree on politics not to change opinions, this is normal.

Another thing you should stop doing is thinking just because you dislike a politician they're unable to logically get voters who like them. There are logical reasons for why your parents like him, and we may not agree with them, but it's important to first understand where they're coming from. Not brushing off anyone who likes a politician you don't as an activity which is unusual.

Last edited:

lootenplunder

Oct 26, 2017

Have you considered the possibility that the reason they're not opening up to you is...you? Or, more accurately, they way you are approaching this 'argument?' It sounds more like an interrogation from what you described. When I read your OP it felt like a barrage of facts and well-reasoned positions, and if you approached your parents in same way as your OP it would be only natural for them to shut down rather than engage.

Unfortunately for all of us non-boomers, superior facts and logic will not win and have never won the day. I don't know whole solution but I do know the first step is listening. And I mean listening to understand, not listening to respond. There is an enormous difference between the two, and person you're talking to can tell which is which.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Have you considered the possibility that the reason they're not opening up to you is...you? Or, more accurately, they way you are approaching this 'argument?' It sounds more like an interrogation from what you described. When I read your OP it felt like a barrage of facts and well-reasoned positions, and if you approached your parents in same way as your OP it would be only natural for them to shut down rather than engage.

Unfortunately for all of us non-boomers, superior facts and logic will not win and have never won the day. I don't know whole solution but I do know the first step is listening. And I mean listening to understand, not listening to respond. There is an enormous difference between the two, and person you're talking to can tell which is which.

Well i found out just because they were offhandedly talking about it..and so i got curious and asked for their reasoning, and it wasnt really anything. Mostly just that they had heard the analysists on the stations saying that his brand of politics is the best one to beat trump and that they "didnt trust any of the other ones". That's when i brought up some of the things that he had done and asked if they had known about any of that, and got met with the dismissive responses.

Its really strange because my parents clearly dont like Biden at all, and for a lot of the same reasons you'd think they would not like Bloomberg. Even the apology for anita hill(which my mom in particular dislikes biden for) paralell to stop and frisk i bought up, but i only got "those are two completely different situations".

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Uh is this a parody? You just come off as unnecessarily aggressive in this.
Leaving your car idling for longer than 2 minutes (!) is against the law here. I could have taken a video/picture and brought it up to the police.

Leaving your car idling for 10 minutes is being selfish, even when being present.

Leaving your car idling without anyone being present because you are too lazy to turn it on 15 minutes later just because, is contributing unnecessarily to climate change without any reason.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Just make sure you all agree to vote for the final remaining Democratic candidate in the race when it matters most.
Don't cut all ties just yet, lol.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean this is like saying the Weimar Republic was corrupt so let's keep Hitler in office for a few more years as vice chancellor...
From my perspective, I don't want to vote for a racist person. Are you alright with telling a black person to vote for someone who locked up a bunch of black people?

Last edited: